Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #4 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some jerk was flying a drone around our house once and if I had a gun I would’ve shot that bloody thing down!
Those drones are bloody annoying and maybe an innocent camper hated the sound and a fight blew up.
I’d still like to know more about Russel’s personality.
Was he an arrogant old turd? Was he showing off around Carol and did he rub someone up the wrong way.

I still believe it wouldn’t be hard to hide 2 bodies out there in that dense scrub and let’s face it people get murdered all the time for less.

The few times that drones have been flown around here, I was really interested and so was my friend but that was a few years ago and was when they first came on the market. Haven't heard one for ages. I think there are rules now about flying them over peoples houses etc.

But I would have thought being somewhere sort of isolated that some would think it was ok to fly them there.

Our local council in regional NSW talked of using drones to monitor various things, including unauthorised development. I'm not sure if that's happened yet but will, they like to micromanage residents. The only drone I've seen here was hovering over a neighbour's large back garden. I sent her a text & it turned out her property was about to be placed on the market. The drone belonged to the real estate agent, who was taking aerial photos of her property & its general area for online marketing.

The few times that drones have been flown around here, I was really interested and so was my friend but that was a few years ago and was when they first came on the market. Haven't heard one for ages. I think there are rules now about flying them over peoples houses etc.

But I would have thought being somewhere sort of isolated that some would think it was ok to fly them there.

New hunting theory in missing campers mystery

According to the Herald Sun, some locals in the alpine region believe the couple may have been accidentally killed by hunters armed with crossbows or rifles.

The newspaper has reported a witness on a camping trip with his son stumbled upon their scorched campsite after their disappearance in March 2020.

The witness also reported finding a fluorescent green crossbow arrow near the burnt-out camp to detectives, although police would not confirm the report when contacted by NCA NewsWire.

Last edited:
No Cookies | Herald Sun

The missing Wonnangatta campers case has been marred by mystery — now there’s suggestion of a thermal imaging and high-powered rifle mishap.

After a slow start in March last year, the police have chased down the best leads while monitoring “people of interest” to see if any splash of publicity loosens lips about the missing campers.

So far, there have been stories about the unidentified 4WD, an identical drone to Russell Hill’s being found — and, perhaps oddest of all, two apparently new shovels located in scrub near a road near Mt Hotham, 80kms from the vanished pair’s campsite.

It turns out that a longtime Deadline contact was second at the scene of the camp in the Wonnangatta valley back in March last year. Our man (let’s call him Mick) was on a camping trip with his young son, Billy the Kid, grandson of a well-known mountain cattleman.

Interesting what his man 'Mick' had to say.

Mick reported seeing the burned out tent and scorched vehicle ... first to the police in Sale, then later to the police in Myrtleford. He felt the police were dismissive, and Myrtleford police didn't know about his report to Sale police.

Mick told police that they'd seen a white ute - like a Hulux - with a blue tarp stretched over a frame on the back.
Mick also said that bulldozer operators at the Mt Buffalo side of Wonnangatta saw a 'suspicious looking' white land cruiser when diesel and firewood was stolen from the bulldozer operators camp.

No Cookies | The Weekly Times

I think it's behind a paywall but there is something about a Landcruiser being driven erractically at the time Russell and Carol disappeared.according to road contractors who were startled by the noise of the vehicle.

There's something about a "dam camera" in the heading.

Behind a paywall

Thanks Tootsie. It is the same article as in the Herald. Paraphrased ...

The boss of two crews of bulldozer workers told Deadline that a landcruiser that came "roaring" up the track from Wonnangatta startled his workers (before Russell and Carol were reported missing).
It was unusual because cars usually slow down to go past the crews working along the narrow roads ... but not this vehicle. It roared past one crew, then roared past a 2nd crew that was working near Catherine Station.

They - Andrew Rule and Mark Buttler, writers of the article - don't know if this landcruiser is involved, but the fact that (the workers believe) the landcruiser occupant(s) stole their diesel fuel could mean that they wouldn't have to buy fuel for quite a while - till they were well out of the area and away from local CCTV and identifiable cash card transactions.

They are thinking that whoever did away with Russell and Carol might have "redlighted" themselves by doing minor infractions such as this. "Lawbreakers break laws."
(They give examples of people who got busted for a minor crime, that led to charges for a major crime.)

There are web cameras set up on the wall of Mount Buffalo dam, and they feel sure that investigators would have checked these cameras as they cover one of only three routes away from there. The one going north.

They feel that carrying the dead weight of deceased persons would mean that Russell and Carol would not be a kilometre into the bush, but a few metres off a track.
(They give examples.)

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Last edited:
Just want to add ... the article (about Russell and Carol) has a section about 'good cop, bad cop' ... about VicPol members that have done wrong - bullied other staff till one committed suicide, operated outside the law.

It says there is nothing harder than the police investigating themselves. And then it says to "consider the bear poked" by the authors. Presumably for raising this subject at this time.

What does this mean and why is it included in an article about Russell and Carol?

Is there (potentially) a police officer involved? Or is an officer protecting someone?

ETA: In the part about the dead weight of bodies, it says that the only people who learn how to carry a body (besides undertakers) is killers and police.
Then it says a lesson young cops learn is to carry bodies by their shoulders - due to bodily smells.

Just thought this was worth mentioning, as it is another specific reference to police in the article - that likely wasn't necessary, unless the authors think it might be necessary. Curious. imo
Andrew Rule is not one to usually dabble in conjecture.

Last edited:
Just want to add ... the article (about Russell and Carol) has a section about 'good cop, bad cop' ... about VicPol members that have done wrong - bullied other staff till one committed suicide, operated outside the law.

It says there is nothing harder than the police investigating themselves. And then it says to "consider the bear poked" by the authors. Presumably for raising this subject at this time.

What does this mean and why is it included in an article about Russell and Carol?

Is there (potentially) a police officer involved? Or is an officer protecting someone?

ETA: In the part about the dead weight of bodies, it says that the only people who learn how to carry a body (besides undertakers) is killers and police.
Then it says a lesson young cops learn is to carry bodies by their shoulders - due to bodily smells.

Just thought this was worth mentioning, as it is another specific reference to police in the article - that likely wasn't necessary, unless the authors think it might be necessary. Curious. imo
Andrew Rule is not one to usually dabble in conjecture.

Makes me think of Dennis Tanner!

The hunting theory seems the most plausible to me. Maybe the drone flew over capturing footage of illegal hunting. The hunters follow the drone back to the owner. They kill the drone operator and can’t leave a witness so they kill Carol too. I hope the bodies are recovered soon.
Moo

I'm thinking that LE is keeping a look out for people who participated in searches, ie the general public because sometimes the perps like to see the havoc they caused.

Also thinking they might make a note of anyone going in to the area, to perhaps check if the bodies are still well concealed.

I have a feeling that sometimes that is why they order searches, in order to panic someone/s to go back and make sure they haven't left anything behind.

Thanks Tootsie. It is the same article as in the Herald. Paraphrased ...

The boss of two crews of bulldozer workers told Deadline that a landcruiser that came "roaring" up the track from Wonnangatta startled his workers (before Russell and Carol were reported missing).
It was unusual because cars usually slow down to go past the crews working along the narrow roads ... but not this vehicle. It roared past one crew, then roared past a 2nd crew that was working near Catherine Station.

They - Andrew Rule and Mark Buttler, writers of the article - don't know if this landcruiser is involved, but the fact that (the workers believe) the landcruiser occupant(s) stole their diesel fuel could mean that they wouldn't have to buy fuel for quite a while - till they were well out of the area and away from local CCTV and identifiable cash card transactions.

They are thinking that whoever did away with Russell and Carol might have "redlighted" themselves by doing minor infractions such as this. "Lawbreakers break laws."
(They give examples of people who got busted for a minor crime, that led to charges for a major crime.)

There are web cameras set up on the wall of Mount Buffalo dam, and they feel sure that investigators would have checked these cameras as they cover one of only three routes away from there. The one going north.

They feel that carrying the dead weight of deceased persons would mean that Russell and Carol would not be a kilometre into the bush, but a few metres off a track.
(They give examples.)

No Cookies | Herald Sun

A40A7448-623F-4A40-B450-2FE181CFD26D.jpeg

Russell’s is a Landcruiser.
most probably diesel as well.

Lots of different model Landcruisers.

I'm thinking a few scenarios.

Hunters, shooting and killing either Carol or Russell, then killing the other to cover it up.

Carol and/or Russell spotted a drug deal going down.

Road rage, for no other reason.

Another I hadn't thought of, but there was no one else reported missing.

What if Russell and/or Carol spotted a murder taking place. That would be a good reason to get rid of them.

Oh there's another, I hate to think it. What if they spotted someone molesting a child. If that got out the perps job and life as they knew it would be over.

These are all just guesses as to what could have happened.

In the part about the dead weight of bodies, it says that the only people who learn how to carry a body (besides undertakers) is killers and police.

And presumably firemen? The fireman's lift? Not that the bodies are necessarily dead.

In the part about the dead weight of bodies, it says that the only people who learn how to carry a body (besides undertakers) is killers and police.

And presumably firemen? The fireman's lift? Not that the bodies are necessarily dead.

Yes, well there are even more people than that - orderlies in hospitals, soldiers ....

But I think they were trying to make a point. And it seems to be a point about the police - or perhaps one officer - and this case.

I recall reading that there is only one police officer who is in charge of that area. I wonder if that officer is close to someone who may hold some guilt/knowledge in this matter. I imagine a lone officer would get to know the people around there pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1