Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #6 *charges*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Stacey, sorry it's under such sad circumstances.

Re a live stream, I know they do live stream coroners inquests, just not sure they do the same with trials.
But there will be news journalists there covering it.
And members here updating with any information that is released.

Thank you Tootsie. It's been a hard few years. I think you've been here this whole time and very respectful which I appreciate.

I was checking the MCV website for all audio visual links available for the 31st but see none for Sale. I'm not sure how court normally works but maybe this is private for a reason.

I'm just still struggling to understand why this happened. No matter what went on out there that night how did it come to this. Even if GL tells everything how can we ever know it's the truth when Russell and Carol can't tell their side of the story? I also feel for his first wife's family. If (and it seems likely) he was involved in her death he should pay for at least 3 people's lives.

In Australia I wonder what aspects of the accused's case will be discussed at the committal hearing? Is it the beginning stages of the formal trial? This is what I'm assuming, although I could be wrong. I know the Covid pandemic has caused a lot of delays and I would imagine the same holds true for Australia. Different jurisdictions have different methods in their judicial systems. So that's what makes me ask this particular question.

I wonder if it is a committal hearing that is happening today. The link says Committal Mention.

"When you get your Court Attendance Notice (CAN), it will tell you what court you have to go to and the time and date that you must be there. This first time that you go to court is called a 'mention'. The purpose of the mention is for the court to find out whether you want to plead guilty or not guilty."

Finally! A DT article .... paraphrased.

GL appeared by video link from Melbourne Assessment Prison
The hearing lasted 5 minutes

Defence lawyer Chris McLennan wants the case adjourned "for a lengthy period" because
- the brief was given to them in digital form, and GL doesn't have access to a computer
- the prosecution needs 8-10 weeks to get exhibits and other transcripts together
- he hoped the case could be back in court by August
- once the brief is given them to them in paper form they could get the case moving (I guess he doesn't have a printer in his office ;) )

GL did not apply for bail, and will be back in court in August.

Finally! A DT article .... paraphrased.

GL appeared by video link from Melbourne Assessment Prison
The hearing lasted 5 minutes

Defence lawyer Chris McLennan wants the case adjourned "for a lengthy period" because
- the brief was given to them in digital form, and GL doesn't have access to a computer
- the prosecution needs 8-10 weeks to get exhibits and other transcripts together
- he hoped the case could be back in court by August
- once the brief is given them to them in paper form they could get the case moving (I guess he doesn't have a printer in his office ;) )

GL did not apply for bail, and will be back in court in August.

Thank you for the link to the DT article. At least the delay will allow the detectives more time to ensure their case is watertight.

Yeah what is this *censored*?
May I ask are you referring to the fact that no reason is given for why the digital format can't be printed out and given to the accused? I wonder that myself also as it would speed up the process to actually move on with trial. IDK that's just my own opinion though. The only reason I can think of is more time to prepare defense arguments. Again I could be totally wrong.

I'm just still struggling to understand why this happened. No matter what went on out there that night how did it come to this. Even if GL tells everything how can we ever know it's the truth when Russell and Carol can't tell their side of the story?
Yes! As you say, GL can say whatever he likes, and probably no-one can disprove a lot of it. I for one am definitely biased against him, and will have a lot of trouble believing a word he says. Hopefully we will learn something of the truth though.

May I ask are you referring to the fact that no reason is given for why the digital format can't be printed out and given to the accused?
Yeah. Why can't his lawyer just bring him a copy? In this day and age when prisoners like him can have everything they need... how convenient that this was the case!

Sorry not sorry. I'm bitter. :(
(Also guys please tell me if I'm using quotes wrong or too much or whatever.)

Yeah. Why can't his lawyer just bring him a copy? In this day and age when prisoners like him can have everything they need... how convenient that this was the case!

Sorry not sorry. I'm bitter. :(
(Also guys please tell me if I'm using quotes wrong or too much or whatever.)
I agree that it seems very odd his lawyer didn't give him a hard copy. Hang in there and hopefully the truth will start to unravel come August. If the prosecutor needs more time then that might be a good thing.

I think that the accused GL will be playing the long game and will be denying his involvement in these murders until the day he dies.

Similar to Ivan Milat, IMO he has gotten away with many things for so long and won't be able to accept that he has finally been caught.

The case will be a very strong circumstantial case but could be 100% circumstantial IMO.

Did police ever track down the trailer that GL said was sold on Gumtree? It appears that GL went to a lot of trouble to dispose of the trailer as this could forensically link him to the murders.

I think that the accused GL will be playing the long game and will be denying his involvement in these murders until the day he dies.

Similar to Ivan Milat, IMO he has gotten away with many things for so long and won't be able to accept that he has finally been caught.

The case will be a very strong circumstantial case but could be 100% circumstantial IMO.

Did police ever track down the trailer that GL said was sold on Gumtree? It appears that GL went to a lot of trouble to dispose of the trailer as this could forensically link him to the murders.
I haven't come across anything that's states they found the trailer.

I agree, and I think the comparison with Milat is apt.

BTW, AFAIK, Milat only once came close to admitting he was involved when he was talking years later to detective Clive Small:

"[Milat] said, 'Well, why are you saying that my sister was involved in the murders when she wasn't?'," Mr Small recounted.

Mr Small denied this during the conversation.

"He said, 'Yes, you have, you and my solicitor'; he said 'You're both saying that she was involved'," Mr Small told Nine.

"[Small] said "No, I haven't said she was involved because I know that you did it, and you did it alone,' and he said, 'Yes, so why are you saying she's involved?', and once he said it, he realised what he'd said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico