Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #6 *charges*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The arrest was made on 22 Nov 2021.
The search for Russell and Carol's remains started on 29 Nov 2021.
They were found the next day, 30 Nov 2021.

And now the DM is saying that there 'may be' an indication of a self defence plea ... "top Melbourne barrister Dermot Dann, QC in November suggested a self-defence argument might be on the cards". (He is not GL's lawyer.)

I wonder if GL told the police where to find Russell and Carol after he was arrested, because he then learned that they have hard evidence against him, and is aiming to say that Russell (and Carol !!) made him fear for his life.
Completely agree.It seems very coincidental that they’ve been searching for the bodies since March 2020, without finding them. Then they interview GL and the bodies are found concealed under a tree root ball (not easy to find) and located within 24hours of starting the search in an area they’d never searched before. I wonder if maybe he could have made a deal with police to reduce his sentence time if he advised location of bodies and is now going to plead not guilty as he believes it was all in self defence…or an accident..

Last edited:
As i understand GL made himself known fairly early on, as being someone who may have been in the area at the time of RH and CC disappeared.

I'm thinking along the lines of maybe he said to LE that he hadn't seen anything unusual but LE already know he must have seen something unusual as they have his fingerprints/DNA at the crime scene.

I think LE may have had some evidence such as DNA early on though it wasn't a match on their database. It wasn't until they had whittled the number of people of interest down, that they found the match.

This is all just my opinion and speculation, but i think LE must have had something pretty substantial (like DNA) to be able to charge him.

I also think the LE have been very careful what to let out to the media. For a case that had so much publicity, we've heard so little about what LE actually know!
Very true, it seems they have something substantial. It could be internet searches, or his personal searches relating to the case and or keeping a close eye on the case etc. googling questions which relate to their deaths or curiously searching information, seeking answers as to how police might find him or how he can evade police.

Perhaps the second matter being heard in court on the 13th (or 16th) could relate to another missing person also linked to GL? Or an application for psychiatric assessment… or application for a closed court.

Last edited:
Interesting what’s mentioned in the Daily Mail… “While Mr Dann did not explain why the findings on bullet trajectory were 'crucial', it could help support any notion of self-defence depending on the results”.

I wonder if GLs defence lawyer is interested in the trajectory, because maybe GL was laying down (perhaps inside his tent) when the gun was used. Maybe I’m going off on a tangent here, but perhaps GL stole or confiscated RH’s drone and RH & CC came to confront GL about it and claim it back and were consequently both murdered as ‘self defence’ while GL was laying down.

Or ‘accidentally’ they were both killed as they were in the path or trajectory of the bullets and he thought they were an animal of some kind… or the bullets bounced off something like a metal target or post and killed them both ‘accidentally’.

“Sometimes a bullet will ricochet, that is, deviate from its trajectory because of an impact with an object. It can still hit someone but the shot would not have been aimed directly at the victim, which may be an important piece of evidence”. (Trajectory | Encyclopedia.com)

Last edited:
Completely agree.It seems very coincidental that they’ve been searching for the bodies since March 2020, without finding them. Then they interview GL and the bodies are found concealed under a tree root ball (not easy to find) and located within 24hours of starting the search in an area they’d never searched before. I wonder if maybe he could have made a deal with police to reduce his sentence time if he advised location of bodies and is now going to plead not guilty as he believes it was all in self defence…or an accident..
When starting the search at the new area, I think i remember a Police officer suggesting to the media, they could be there for weeks.
The way i read this is that they probably weren't told where to look. Though the officer may have been giving the media a 'standard' answer too.
MOO, a solo GL, in the middle of the night, would not have been capable of moving both (limp) bodies more than say 20 metres or so off the track and through bushland so it makes sense to me that once they had an approximate location, it didn't take long for professionals to find the two bodies.

On the other hand, if perhaps self-defence is GL's defence, surely he would have told the Police exactly where to look!

So intriguing!

What happened to the button man theory?. or is GL button man?. I have got a feeling the police swooped before gl could claim he stumbled across the burial site and that is why his dna is present.
COuld anyone confirm if a mountain bike was shown to be attached to the vehicle of the alleged perpetrator at any stage. I do wonder whether GL sets up camp and then traverses around on a mountian bike spooking people and this could well be why a confrontation took place. Another thing - who goes deep into the bush on their own?. Is this a sign of something odd?.

. Another thing - who goes deep into the bush on their own?. Is this a sign of something odd?.

...and who goes deep into 4WD'ing country...on their own....with a trailer...?

Perhaps firewood (illegal)....deer hunting...nahh....so why so far into the high country...with a trailer...on his own???

Bizarre!

Last edited:
...and who goes deep into 4WD'ing country...on their own....with a trailer...?

Perhaps firewood (illegal)....deer hunting...nahh....so why so far into the high country...with a trailer...on his own???

Bizarre!
You need a trailer so you can move the bodies of people you eliminate, so they won't be found easily.

Yes. Shoot them through the tent. Then unhinge the tent and roll the tent up with the bodies inside the tent and sleeping bags. Minimal blood trails. Then drag the entire combination into the trailer.
The tent was burned at their campsite.

Detective Inspector Andrew Stamper shared on 60 Minutes that the fact the tent was completely burnt was immediately suspicious to investigators.

Their sleeping bags, phones, a set of car keys and drone were missing.

PS. I know this is only a committal hearing but the above will still probably apply.

I can see it, but nothing much new. It’s just repeating what we know about how the committal works, and the predicted importance of the ballistics expert, who is important enough that separate dates might need to be made available for him if he can’t make the same ones as the other 11 witnesses.
Plus the same shot of old mate looking super handsome in his waders that we definitely aren’t sick of seeing

Top Melbourne barrister, Dermot Dann, QC suggested in November a self-defence argument might be on the cards. He's regarded as one of the best criminal defenders in the country and he’s eager to cross-examine the ballistics expert, Paul Griffiths.

The court heard the police brief contained mountains of transcripts of secret recordings of GL captured by detectives. Dann, QC said he had at least 14 folders of material related to GL's phone records. [I'm familiar with the folders counsel take to court - they're large lever-arch folders - and 14 just for phone records is huge]

Ex-Jetstar pilot's self-defence case in alleged camper murders

I was more than a little disappointed to read that his wife continues to support him. I guess that ruins my theory, part of which was that she found the drone hidden in the garage. :(

However, the results of the covert surveillance material from the car and home, copies of listening device and telephone intercept material coupled with the phone records will hopefully reveal a lot. Add to that the CCTV images of his car and trailer captured in the Wonnangatta Valley during the day, at least one witness hearing the car turning around at the exit gate because it was locked that night and the suspicious repainting of his car.

I have had this day in mind for a long long time. Self defence! Ahhh. I'm not surprised but it still p's me the f off. Russell and Carol (particularly Russell) had been camping for 60+ odd years and had never had any real trouble with people til he runs across this d***head who also happens to have a gun on him in a country where guns are generally only used to hunt? Yeah ok!
Keep in mind also- the whole picture is not out there. Hunters (murderers!) carry knives too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanaKate321