Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #6 *charges*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
and was yet to fly the drone according to the blackberry sprayer. That doesn't leave a lot of time to fly the drone as sunset was at 7:24. The drone was fairly new and he was certainly no expert at using it according to one of his daughters.

OK, so apparently it was Hill flying it. I wonder if he buzzed Lynn with it and that led to a confrontation?

Russell might not have actually been grumpy - you should see me with my "resting b itch" face on!
Russell had a stern face, quite weather beaten due to all the years he worked outdoors, so I can understand why people may think he was grumpy just from his physical appearance. He was not a "grumpy" man, but he was quite "old fashioned" in his ideas on how people should treat each other. If someone did something he thought was not the right thing to do, he would tell you that he didn't think you were doing the right thing. He was quite a big man, so I can understand how he may have appeared threatening to some people, but he was really just a big softie, not a mean bone in his body. In the 20+ years I knew him I never saw him angry, and we did have some spirited discussions about all sorts of things.

That's a bit confusing. I thought Russell told his friend in his last transmission on 20th March that he had to go and set up camp?

Sounds like Russell and Carol were in the area the prior day. Did they move camping places between the 19th March and the 20th March?
Not quite, he told us ( I was talking to him too on HF radio that night), he had to finish setting up camp, like most of it was done but there were a few things still to do.

A hunter has told a court he noticed something “strange” about vehicles parked at the campsite where Russell Hill and Carol Clay were last seen.

On Monday, the Melbourne Magistrates' Court heard the elderly lovers had visited a graveyard in the remote wilderness and buzzed other campers with a drone.

Russell Hill (pictured, right) and Carol Clay (left) are alleged by police to have been murdered during a camping trip in March 2020

+15
Russell Hill (pictured, right) and Carol Clay (left) are alleged by police to have been murdered during a camping trip in March 2020

Car ‘strangely’ close to others at Wonnangatta Valley camp​

A hunter has told a court he noticed something “strange” about vehicles parked at the campsite where Russell Hill and Carol Clay were last seen.

Very early on there was an article that said there was another group further away who were having a few drinks and words were said about how close someone parked to another, possibly antagonising.

Anyone remember?

Robert Williams, a weed sprayer contracted by Parks Victoria, told the court he had been working in the area on 20 March when he saw a man who appeared to be “on a mission” speed past him in a white LandCruiser.

Williams described the man in a later police statement as a “grumpy old bugger” who he assumed may not have wanted to talk to him because he had Parks Victoria markings on his vehicle and the man wanted to get to his camp.

“He looked really grumpy to me and I thought he may have even been having an argument,” Williams said on Monday.

He said he later recognised that person and the vehicle when he saw a missing person report in the media about Mr Hill and Ms Clay.

Mr Williams also described seeing a drone flying over him and surrounding campsites on the evening of March 20, 2020.

"When I waved to it, he circled around a bit," he said.

The witness said he thought it was rude to fly over campsites.

"People don't like them, going there to have a peaceful camp and then people are flying a drone over you," he said.

He was the third witness to give evidence at the committal hearing, which was designed to test whether there was enough evidence for the case against Mr Lynn to proceed to trial.

The first day of accused killer Gregory Lynn’s committal has concluded as prosecutors sought to establish a timeline of the disappearance and alleged murder of the two campers.

Five witnesses have been called to give evidence before the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Monday, recalling their experiences of what happened in March 2020.

Police are yet to reveal to the court why former Jetstar pilot Gregory Lynn, 56, has been charged over the deaths of the couple.

Mr Lynn has denied killing Mr Hill, 74, and Ms Clay, 73, whose remains were found 20 months after they disappeared while camping in Victoria’s Alps.

The first witnesses called by crown prosecutor John Dickie were friends Goran Milikovic and Damir Jovar, who were camping and hunting deer nearby at the time.

Both men, through a Serbian interpreter, told the court they were returning to camp after a day trip in the Wonnangatta Valley on March 19 when they came across a white Landcruiser.

Mr Milikovic, in a statement to police, said a man “in his 70s” was driving, while a woman was sitting in the passenger seat.

He recalled discussing with Mr Jovar whether it “might have been a grandmother and grandfather going out for a drive”.

Both men said they saw the vehicle pull into the Homestead Flat camping ground and park near two other vehicles – a blue Nissan Patrol and a white Mazda ute.
Russell Hill and Carol Clay's burnt-out campsite photographed by a camper near Dry River track at Billabong in the Wonnangatta Valley. Picture credit: ABC

Russell Hill and Carol Clay's burnt-out campsite photographed by a camper near Dry River track at Billabong in the Wonnangatta Valley. Picture credit: ABC
Gregory Lynn is facing a committal hearing over the murders. Picture: Facebook

Last edited:
Mr Lynn has denied killing Mr Hill, 74, and Ms Clay, 73, whose remains were found 20 months after they disappeared while camping in Victoria’s Alps.

Is he denying killing them or is he denying murdering them?
I've read reports that GL's defence may be self defence which means he will admit to killing them.
Not sure if this may be 'loose' media reporting or not??

"In 2021, police charged then-Jetstar pilot Greg Lynn with the murder of both Ms Clay and Mr Hill.
The committal hearing heard he planned to plead not guilty to those charges"

So yes it does look like he has only pleaded not guilty to murder.

Is he denying killing them or is he denying murdering them?
I've read reports that GL's defence may be self defence which means he will admit to killing them.
Not sure if this may be 'loose' media reporting or not??
He may try using self-defence in the case of RH, but how would he explain Carol's death? From what we've learned about her, I think it extremely unlikely that she would join Russell in attacking anyone, but that's just my opinion.

He later saw the Prado parked at a campsite, backed into the bush with only the bull bar sticking out.

"I thought it looked like he was hiding," he said.

It's in that spot that he saw the missing campers head, Williams later told police.
You had me going for a minute, with your "missing campers head"!!

He may try using self-defence in the case of RH, but how would he explain Carol's death? From what we've learned about her, I think it extremely unlikely that she would join Russell in attacking anyone, but that's just my opinion.
I've wondered that myself! Though not an impossibility that in the act of self defence, he's inadvertently killed both of them. One scenario is Carol was standing directly behind Russell when GL discharged his firearm. I could be wrong but think it would all fall under the act of self defence since it was a single act.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bloocheez