Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So they were at the Dry River Creek camp at Billabong.

Yes.. at the junction of Dry River with the Wonnangatta River.
There are quite a few huts in the area I guess they’ve been checked?

The huts commonly referred to in the region are those up on Howitt Plains.. they are old Cattlemen's Huts (Howitt Hut etc)
AFAIK the only habitation in the valley was the Homestead which was burnt down.

I'm anticipating the question
"Why did n't they camp closer to the Homestead site if the plan was to walk up Conglomerate Ck".
Good question as it appears there were no other campers there.
I think the camp site chosen would be the best in the valley .. new arrivals always choose the Homestead and it's usually the busiest / noisiest

Last edited:
Yes agree it's not safe but...
What if this was a very substantial tent ?.. and remember Carol is an indoor person who likes cooking.
It's a very intense fire and maybe this points to some cooking gear and maybe some unknown accelerent.
All speculation I know.
But the alternative?

I remember going camping with my brother and his girlfriend. She brought her hairdryer. We laughed and laughed and asked her which tree she was going to plug it into! What if Carol liked the creature comforts of home, such as hairdryers, or even an electric blanket, something along those lines?

I still can't fathom cooking inside the tent, unless there was rain at the time. I also can't fathom using electric, rather than gas to cook with, though I suppose it's possible. Something like a slow cooker or plug in fryer perhaps. I'll have to go back and have another look at the photo of the burnt out tent area.

"Why did n't they camp closer to the Homestead site if the plan was to walk up Conglomerate Ck".
I think the camp site chosen would be the best in the valley .. new arrivals always choose the Homestead and it's usually the busiest / noisiest
When you say the Homestead, are you referring to Wonnangatta Station?

I think the camp site chosen would be the best in the valley .. new arrivals always choose the Homestead and it's usually the busiest /noisiest
I remember going camping with my brother and his girlfriend. She brought her hairdryer. We laughed and laughed and asked her which tree she was going to plug it into! What if Carol liked the creature comforts of home, such as hairdryers, or even an electric blanket, something along those lines?

I still can't fathom cooking inside the tent, unless there was rain at the time. I also can't fathom using electric, rather than gas to cook with, though I suppose it's possible. Something like a slow cooker or plug in fryer perhaps. I'll have to go back and have another look at the photo of the burnt out tent area.

You can see the battery better in a video where the camera pans the remains of the tent// the terminals stand out and a wire is also visibleconnected to a terminal.. Not much left of that battery

When you say the Homestead, are you referring to Wonnangatta Station?

Yes.. the site where the old homestead used to be.. which is near the junction of the creek and Wonnangatta River
BTW.. It stood for 100 yrs before being burnt down by bush walkers about 1970.
The Bryce family epoch lasted several generations .
Mystery always attached to Wonnangatta Station after the murders which are well documented.
Wonnangatta murders - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Agree.. However it would be very cold in the morning.. I have used a kero heater inside my van .. very cosy

12 VOLT DC AUTO HEATED CAR BLANKET TRAVEL RUG SOFT CARAVAN FLEECE ELECTRIC THROW 741870628979 | eBay

Guy's Hut is up at the top of the range and probably the closest hut to the valley.
I can't see any form of refuge in the valley and no caves or shelter anywhere including the cliff line.
No way to survive out there.
The valley floor would be frosty cold each morning and possibly snow and sleet before the onset of winter.

Guy's Hut is up at the top of the range and probably the closest hut to the valley.
I can't see any form of refuge in the valley and no caves or shelter anywhere including the cliff line.
No way to survive out there.
The valley floor would be frosty cold each morning and possibly snow and sleet before the onset of winter.

Yes totally agree you wouldn’t survive but if you were lost you would try and shelter somewhere and hope for the best

I believe Niels Becker was mentioned in an earlier thread. And a second post questioned whether this couple met Becker out there to their chagrin.
However, if a friend of yours, doubtful that Becker would harm the couple. So we’re back to the murders that are well documented, as posted earlier.
A very sad case with no end in sight.
So I’ll stay home, thank you.
If you find yourself wanting to outdoor it along with a ham radio set up, maybe think to be in a larger group. Several friends with similar set ups. Caravan style. Safety in numbers. I’m sure that being alone in the wilderness is a part of the lure of the outdoors, but safety is a concern.
Whether safety for health reasons, like a heart attack, broken leg from a nasty fall, wild animal attack out there or human, being careful is an over riding concern. We are not invincible.
I’ll leave the story about your friend alone for now. I need a few more hours of sleep. It’s 4:00 am in Texas. I’m afraid if I look him up, I’ll scare myself awake for the rest of the day. I’m very sorry to read that he is lost out there, somewhere. My condolences to you, his family and friends.

Couldn't resist. Sad.

<modsnip>

c369cfeba0d4889ffd61a4f3cd8ced2af7c35b33

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...days-before-camping-trip-20200422-p54m7y.html

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fb3499457-b332-448a-8d83-d7165392ecf2

Vital new evidence discovered after pair mysteriously disappear from campsite

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F43352479-c52a-4f4c-a9be-bfbcf698544a

Their camp was found burned out. (A Current Affair)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member