Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
This case reminds me of the disappearance of Raymond and Jennie Kehlet in March 2015, but in Western Australia. Police were alerted to the couple's disappearance after their dog (microchip registration) was found wandering in town, 25 kms from the campsite, the couple were last seen 1 week before.
Police found the couple's well-stocked campsite with two vehicles and plenty of food and water.

Searchers found Raymond's skeletal remains at the bottom of a mine shaft 3 weeks later, 1.8 kilometres north of their camp site. I haven't found any information about Raymond's cause of death. Jennie has never been found.
At the inquest in Jan, 2020, it was revealed the police suspected their friend, Graham Milne, who went prospecting with the Kehlets but says, he left them alive before 21 March.

Kehlet couple's disappearance in WA outback remains unsolved, three years on - ABC News
Prospector denies deliberately misleading officers searching for Raymond and Jennie Kehlet - ABC News

Mystery of elderly 'friends' who vanished on remote camping trip | Daily Mail Online
This is the article that said the keys were in the ignition.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...pers-ask-for-public-help-20200422-p54m06.html
This article says the keys have not being found.
In the video in this article it seems to show a large vehicle type battery in the remains of the fire.

Shoddy reporting by the Daily Mail again, unfortunately. They usually provide good pictures of crime scenes, though. Police may be holding back information at this stage too.

27094818-8228109-Police_released_images_of_the_couple_s_burnt_out_campsite_with_M-a-9_1587081342644.jpg

Here is some *interesting* video of Conglomerate Creek area not far from the location of the campers.
The Homestead location is at the junction of this creek with Wonnangatta river.
It is an easy 3Km walk from the camp site.

Last edited:
I realise the bush is dense in this area, I just don’t think they would’ve walked too far from the campsite, therefore the search area would be small .... I wonder how many mine shafts are in close proximity?
Some of the old mine shafts in the area have been checked as part of the investigation, which has been taken over by Missing Persons Squad detectives.
"The area is incredibly remote and there is a possibility that they have suffered some misadventure in the bush," Detective Inspector Andrew Stamper s
aid.
"But we also need to rule out any possibility of foul play."

Missing man Russell Hill a 'meticulous camper' with medical conditions, police say - ABC News

The article says some were checked, which means some haven't. If the couple were searching for the drone, they could have fallen down a caved in mine shaft, they're usually overgrown with grass and woody debris.
If there was foul play, those mine shafts could be used to dispose a body/bodies.

12173030-4x3-xlarge.png

Last edited:
Some of the old mine shafts in the area have been checked as part of the investigation, which has been taken over by Missing Persons Squad detectives.
"The area is incredibly remote and there is a possibility that they have suffered some misadventure in the bush," Detective Inspector Andrew Stamper s
aid.
"But we also need to rule out any possibility of foul play."

Missing man Russell Hill a 'meticulous camper' with medical conditions, police say - ABC News

The article says some were checked, which means some haven't. If the couple were searching for the drone, they could have fallen down a caved in mine shaft, they're usually overgrown with grass and woody debris.
If there was foul play, those mine shafts could be used to dispose a body/bodies.

Many old mine shafts in areas like this were horizontal and pose no threat.
Any vertical shafts are likely made safe or filled with camping rubbish.
Unlikely that two people would fall victim to this hazard.

Many old mine shafts in areas like this were horizontal and pose no threat.
Any vertical shafts are likely made safe or filled with camping rubbish.
Unlikely that two people would fall victim to this hazard.
It's a complete mystery what happened then, unless, they've purposely gone missing but I can't imagine how they got themselves out of there. A hire car would need their ID and credit card details. If one was injured, why couldn't the other manage to get back to camp and seek help, there's just so many questions when there's a couple missing.
If Clay fell, seriously injuring herself and as a consequence, Hill suffered a heart attack trying to help, I suppose it's possible both were incapacitated and died where they lay. It appears by all accounts they've acted out of character, walking off some distance and landed in trouble.

If it's foul play, they've come across a psycho with as yet, unknown reasons to do them harm.
The drone does seem to be the key, as long as it wasn't destroyed in the fire, then it's back to scratch again.

Mystery of elderly 'friends' who vanished on remote camping trip | Daily Mail Online
This is the article that said the keys were in the ignition.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...pers-ask-for-public-help-20200422-p54m06.html
This article says the keys have not being found.
In the video in this article it seems to show a large vehicle type battery in the remains of the fire.

Yes that is probably the battery he used to power the tent equipment.. maybe just lighting .. but also he could have used such a battery for powering his HF radio gear.
Always safer to not rely on the main car battery for auxiliaries... and it means he could talk on the schedules in the comfort of the tent... no risk of a flat cranking battery.
However it looks to me like this battery may well have caused the fire.. due to the fact that it is so damaged.
It certainly looks like an intense fire.
He may have put the expensive radio equipment back into the car for security before leaving the site. (I can only presume the radio gear was found in the car)
No sign of a vehicle mounted antenna.. so presume he locked it away also.
No sign of any other camp site antenna.
All this points to a very organized and experienced camper and obviously very keen on his remote radio comms.

Yes that is probably the battery he used to power the tent equipment.. maybe just lighting .. but also he could have used such a battery for powering his HF radio gear.
Always safer to not rely on the main car battery for auxiliaries... and it means he could talk on the schedules in the comfort of the tent... no risk of a flat cranking battery.
However it looks to me like this battery may well have caused the fire.. due to the fact that it is so damaged.
It certainly looks like an intense fire.
He may have put the expensive radio equipment back into the car for security before leaving the site. (I can only presume the radio gear was found in the car)
No sign of a vehicle mounted antenna.. so presume he locked it away also.
No sign of any other camp site antenna.
All this points to a very organized and experienced camper and obviously very keen on his remote radio comms.
Bbm

I can only think of one thing that could have got out of his control then, and that was the new drone. Expensive drone too.

I wonder if drones get stuck on trees? Maybe they can do an aerial search. Find the drone and the bodies are somewhere nearby... if there are indeed bodies.

MOO

The thing about the DJI Mavic drones is they actually have extremely limited battery life. From personal experience, you’re lucky to get 18-20 minutes total flight time out of them despite the advertised 31 minutes that the manufacturer claims (presuming Russell has the Mavic 2 Pro model).

It usually feels like you’re barely airborne before the return-to-base battery warning kicks in (I think it’s at 30% juice left, by default) so their range is not particularly huge especially if you’re just having a nosey around with no fixed, pre determined destination in mind. It’s very easy to misjudge the amount of juice left and therefore if you take it too far you have to bring it down (or it auto lands itself) before you actually get it safely back to the “home” starting point. New users are usually quite reluctant to take them too greater distance until they’ve got a real handle on the speed of the battery drain, and imo the limited battery life it is one of the biggest surprises (disappointments) a new purchaser gets after buying one of these - it’s a real big limitation.

Chances are the range of that model drone that Russell owned could hold the key. Plotting a radial search area from the campsite using different battery life/warning alert/speed scenarios, and then taking the search into the most difficult/scenic spots would be my focus. I’d run some scenario flights from the campsite using exactly the same model of a similar age. I think the probability is high that the drone ran out of juice before getting back to base, the couple went on a retrieval expedition no more than a few kms away, but that terrain proved much more difficult than anticipated.

Obviously, police will also be looking at which device (mobile phone or tablet) Russell usually had connected to the RC controller used to fly the drone and which has the DJI “Go” app installed on it. If that turns out to be the mobile device left still charging at the campsite, that tends to rule out a drone loss/recovery being the cause of their disappearance.

Hello to my fellow sleuths on here.
I literally can't sleep due to thinking on this..
So here it is 3:00am as I am writing this.
I only want to find a resolution to this terrible tragedy to help ease the suffering of those good families involved.
I have convinced myself of the following scenario ... and of course I could be completely up the shyte with this.
I will make it brief but you can fill in the gaps if you have followed my thinking so far.(and this includes input from others on here)
Russel embarks on an early walk (sat morn) to the lower Conglomerate Ck area near the Homestead site and part way up the easy slopes of the creek. .. this is a leisurely 3 Km and should be no problem for him as the drone is very compact and light weight.
I suggest this because I believe he intended capturing footage of the magnificent Piemans Falls and Bryce Gorge area.
It's a long haul up to the falls for a drone but maybe possible. (5Km LOS and + alt 500m)
He possibly got into trouble and called back to his companion for help.
Surely he would have handy talkies for this purpose.
Importantly I don't think there was anyone else in the valley at this time.
If you check on her facebook you notice Carol is a very homely person with keen culinary skills especially baking... so it would not surprise me if she had the stove running at this time.
I will leave you to fill in the subsequent events.
My thinking is that they should be found in the Conglomerate Ck catchment.
If this area hasn't already been searched that's where they need to go.
It has to be resolved very quickly now due to the weather.
Maybe some deer stalkers could be of help here.
Otherwise it will be 6 months of hell for those grieving families...and others.
Cheers...

He wasn’t there logging, he was there camping. Many years ago he had done logging in the area.
Well, yes, obviously. I realise that. My point was that he may have been used to leaving the keys in the car out of habit, as he used to log in the area. Being in the bush on a regular basis, it's not uncommon to leave the keys in the vehicle.

I agree. I think most people would hide the keys if they were going on a large walk. I think something has happened at the campsite. The burning of the tent is another sign something has happened at the campsite. In my entire life I have never seen or heard of someone’s tent burning down. I’m not saying it’s never happened, just that it would be highly unlikely.

I believe something happened at the campsite and the perpetrator torched the tent as they were worried about their dna being left on the tent / property.

No, they wouldn't necessarily remove the keys from the ignition. As I've already mentioned, it's quite common to leave the keys on the vehicle. We leave the keys in the vehicle at our house, in a town. So, camping, yes, the keys are left in the ignition. I'm not saying leaving the keys in the ignition may be an issue in this case. I'm saying, you can't have tunnel vision and presume it's an anomaly to leave the keys in the ignition.

The tent burning down is another matter altogether. It's very rare for a tent to end up in flames. I don't subscribe to the view of the "phone charger" causing the fire, as I've already stated in my previous post. There's something very odd there. Either that, or an amazing coincidence.

Keeping this thread alive.
I just joined this group as I am very interested in this case.
I'm also a Ham and possible have spoken to Russel in the past.
He would probably use the 80M (3.5Mhz) amateur band for evening scheds but propagation is 'iffy' even if you set up a good antenna... and he presumably used a small and inefficient mobile type. there is no other communication in that region.
He may have used 'handy talkies' for local comms between the two.
And he could have called back to Carol if he got into difficulty and need assistance.
I believe no phones have been found so..
As suggested the pair may have charged their phones prior to a longish walk in which they planned to take movie or stills in addition to using the drone.
I assume that forensics found signs of a charger in the tent... very vague info.
Maybe a compact Li-ion booster/charger was the culprit for the fire?
I know the area .. It's a long walk .. but conglomerate creek / Bryce Gorge /Piemans Falls would be my choice... absolutely beautiful but demanding walk for the adventurous.
Nearby Dry River area would have been checked out.
They possibly both got into difficulty on the walk.. maybe over-nighted amongst the cliffs..
Basically got injured or fatigued... not lost
If they were my loved ones I would be still looking.... everywhere I could think of.
Trouble is .. the Wonnangatta is so inaccessible ( a very long drive into the most remote part of Victoria's wilderness) ... unless you are really committed and have adventurous streak.
I am really sad when I hear of good people getting lost up there..
Niels Becker who went missing back in Nov 2019 was a acquaintance.
Rest in peace... They are all in a better place.

Great to hear from someone who knows the area. I don't personally ascribe to the "charging in the tent" theory. I can't for the life of me understand why an experienced camper and someone who was well set up, would charge a phone or anything else in a tent. Very strange.

What's your view regarding the drone crashing somewhere and them trying to retrieve it? I'd be interested to know your opinion, seeing as you know the area.

And....
No sign of a campfire. . Very responsible campers it seems and used a camp stove in the tent?
Police found no trace of them and no evidence of foul play.
Deer hunters?
The deer are in plague numbers much closer to Melbourne ... unlikely.
Everything on here is conjecture and much of it assumes someone went to ridiculous length to conceal a crime.
There does not appear to me a sufficiently strong argument for foul play.
These appear to be good people with loving families.
It is more likely a misadventure.
I would hope that the search continues before conditions worsen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay