Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, it’s a very odd armoury for someone who is supposedly a deer hunter… it’s really only the 308 that’s suitable for hunting, and maybe the shot guns if solid slugs were used (ironically ‘buck shot’ is illegal in the high country for deer). Single action rifles and pistols are not suitable.

I’ve heard about him joining the little river raiders club, what is the second club he belonged to?
Ah I might have misinterpreted this :

“Mr L , who was an avid gun enthusiast licenced to hold nine firearms, was also involved with the Melbourne International Gun Club, police say.”

In Victoria it is illegal to keep a loaded firearm in a car, home or elsewhere.
All ammunition must be stored separately and firearms are only to be loaded immediately before use. I'm a licensed firearm owner. To have a firearm loaded in a public place/campsite is plain illegal, reckless and dangerous. There are strict protocols on how to handle firearms, particularly in shared spaces such as shooting ranges. If I'm called out to euthanase an animal, say a roo or womabt thats been struck by a car I can't even travel with the ammo in the rifle bag/case, (it's stored in a separate container), if I got pulled over and searched that would be an offence, the laws are rigid for very good reason. The booklet link below shows how thorough and painstaking responsible gun owners are.
https://www.police.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-02/Safety Code Booklet.pdf

The police summary also detailed a camping trip Hill took by himself earlier in March, during which he asked other campers if they minded whether he flew his drone above their camps.
Wow! So the drone-flying looks much less likely as a motive for an argument. Seems to more likely be a dispute about camping spots.

Police alleged in court that Lynn blasted Ms Clay in the head with shotgun after getting into an angry confrontation with Mr Hill over the use of his drone in the national park, which is illegal.

Lynn maintains he had acted in self-defence and told police it was Mr Hill who was the author of his own demise, the court heard.

Mr Gellatly told the court Lynn claimed he had returned to his camp after getting into the argument, but Mr Hill refused to let it go.

'Hill went to Lynn's vehicle and grabbed (his) shotgun, the two wrestled over the gun causing it to discharge, which struck Clay in the head,' he told the court via his police statement.

The blast is believed to have killed the mother-of-three instantly.

What happened next, according to Lynn, was a fight that ended with him fatally stabbing Mr Hill, court documents said.

Police put out sketches of a vehicle they were looking for knowing full well they had the very car they wanted bugged

Police alleged in court that Lynn blasted Ms Clay in the head with shotgun after getting into an angry confrontation with Mr Hill over the use of his drone in the national park, which is illegal.

Lynn maintains he had acted in self-defence and told police it was Mr Hill who was the author of his own demise, the court heard.

Mr Gellatly told the court Lynn claimed he had returned to his camp after getting into the argument, but Mr Hill refused to let it go.

'Hill went to Lynn's vehicle and grabbed (his) shotgun, the two wrestled over the gun causing it to discharge, which struck Clay in the head,' he told the court via his police statement.

What happened next, according to Lynn, was a fight that ended with him fatally stabbing Mr Hill, court documents said.

Police put out sketches of a vehicle they were looking for knowing full well they had the very car they wanted bugged
This doesn't make sense. If RH went to GL's vehicle that means RH went to GL's camp site. How then, was biological matter supposedly belonging to CC found on the near side (?) & canopy of RH's vehicle? That tells me that GL must have gone into RH & CC's camp site and CC would have been standing somewhere near the passenger side (according to recent reports) of RH's vehicle. All very confusing at the moment.

Wow! So the drone-flying looks much less likely as a motive for an argument. Seems to more likely be a dispute about camping spots.

That's what I think, but LE seem to be saying the drone was the only motive.
I think first it was about the camping spot and then the drone just added to it.

I'm thinking that the drone was like the last straw for someone who had a short temper and was already on the edge.

It Doesnt make sense this scenario, the evidence of the fight was at the Hills camp , and CC evidence was on Hills car , the metal of the bullet also found at the Hill camp , so IMO this story holds NO water

This doesn't make sense. If RH went to GL's vehicle that means RH went to GL's camp site. How then, was biological matter supposedly belonging to CC found on the canopy of RH's vehicle? That tells me that GL must have gone into RH & CC's camp site and CC would have been standing somewhere near the passenger side of RH's vehicle. All very confusing at the moment. .
Yep, Carol must have died at her and Russell's camp if her DNA and biological matter was found there.

The court heard prosecutors were keen to have the contents of Lynn's initial record of interview and his original statement to police suppressed over fears they may be inadmissible when the matter goes to trial.

A court battle over the content of that evidence between Crown prosecutors, Lynn's barrister and media organisations will return to court on Friday.

On Tuesday, journalists were provided a redacted version of the alleged events, omitting many of the allegations against Lynn.

Despite fighting for information on the case to be suppressed, prosecutor John Dickie took an extraordinary swipe at the reporting of the hearing after Lynn's version of events were finally aired.

'There are matters that are not in that document, that have been removed from that document, that clearly the prosecution intends to rely upon,' Mr Dickie said.

'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Mr Dickie said he was concerned that some media outlets had 'not heard the evidence properly' when publishing court reports on the preliminary hearing.

'Just so that no-one is under any misapprehension, that's how the two charges are entered and those two charges are before the court,' he said.

Lynn is expected to enter a plea of not guilty to the charges at the conclusion of the hearing next week.

I'm starting to consider a scenario which differs from what the media have posted in the last few days. Is it possible that GL went into RH & CC's tent and that's where CC was shot. I was looking at a photo of RH's vehicle and what struck me was it appeared quite clean other than the burn marks. Surely if CC was shot outside, there would have been a lot of blood splatter on the near side of RH's vehicle (per media reports that was the side of the vehicle it happened). Now, what if the altercation happened inside the tent. Most of the blood splatter etc would be on the inside of the tent walls ... hence the burning of the tent by GL. There must have been dna everywhere and that would appear to be the only reason for burning the tent and everything in it. Why else would GL have done this. All my own opinion and just trying to think outside the square.

The court heard prosecutors were keen to have the contents of Lynn's initial record of interview and his original statement to police suppressed over fears they may be inadmissible when the matter goes to trial.

A court battle over the content of that evidence between Crown prosecutors, Lynn's barrister and media organisations will return to court on Friday.

On Tuesday, journalists were provided a redacted version of the alleged events, omitting many of the allegations against Lynn.

Despite fighting for information on the case to be suppressed, prosecutor John Dickie took an extraordinary swipe at the reporting of the hearing after Lynn's version of events were finally aired.

'There are matters that are not in that document, that have been removed from that document, that clearly the prosecution intends to rely upon,' Mr Dickie said.

'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Mr Dickie said he was concerned that some media outlets had 'not heard the evidence properly' when publishing court reports on the preliminary hearing.

'Just so that no-one is under any misapprehension, that's how the two charges are entered and those two charges are before the court,' he said.

Lynn is expected to enter a plea of not guilty to the charges at the conclusion of the hearing next week.

If I’m understanding this right, there’s another version GL originally put forward in his first interview with police.
It’s good the prosecutors are holding it back, they’ve got to tie this man in knots at trial with no way out but the truth, but gee, it’s hard to stomach the blatant lies! Jmo

I'm starting to consider a scenario which differs from what the media have posted in the last few days. Is it possible that GL went into RH & CC's tent and that's where CC was shot. I was looking at a photo of RH's vehicle and what struck me was it appeared quite clean other than the burn marks. Surely if CC was shot outside, there would have been a lot of blood splatter on the near side of RH's vehicle (per media reports that was the side of the vehicle it happened). Now, what if the altercation happened inside the tent. Most of the blood splatter etc would be on the inside of the tent walls ... hence the burning of the tent by GL. There must have been dna everywhere and that would appear to be the only reason for burning the tent and everything in it. Why else would GL have done this. All my own opinion and just trying to think outside the square.
I agree, he destroyed a lot of the blood and dna evidence in the tent.

As another poster mentioned, there's something peculiar in the use of 2 weapons by GL.

It'll be hard to prove but imo, he stabbed Russell to death in the tent. Carol woke or returned to the tent, was about to flee, GL grabbed his rifle from his truck and shot her outside the tent, by the truck.
I don't believe there was any scuffle with RH, imo, GL wouldn't have it in him, he'd want the upper hand so he ambushed RH.
It's just another theory because frankly, his account stinks!
Jmo

This doesn't make sense. If RH went to GL's vehicle that means RH went to GL's camp site. How then, was biological matter supposedly belonging to CC found on the near side (?) & canopy of RH's vehicle? That tells me that GL must have gone into RH & CC's camp site and CC would have been standing somewhere near the passenger side (according to recent reports) of RH's vehicle. All very confusing at the moment.
I agree, It makes no sense. I know the campsite as I camped with Russell there a number of times and have visited the site since his dissapearance (before GL was charged). GL's campsite, I believe was about 30 or 40 meters to the south of where RH and CC were camped.( I saw the chared outline of their tent on my last visit there). The southerly direction is the drivers side of RH's vehicle. If there was blood from CC on the exterior passenger side of RH's vehicle then GL would have had to walk north from his campsite past RH's vehicle and the shooting to take place there for that to happen. It is possible there was a struggle with the gun, but I find it hard to believe that RH walked 30 or 40 meters south to GL's camp, took his (loaded) shotgun from car, then the struggle worked it way back 30 or 40 meters back to the passenger side of RH's vehicle.

Last edited:
Its interesting thinking back, knowing that GL was on the radar early on, at what the police where telling the media. Its obvious now that almost everything they were telling the media was for a specific purpose!

Did the police allege that GL blasted CC in the head with a shotgun? Do you have a link to the report that says this? I read that one proposed scenario is the gun went off during a struggle between RH and GL for the gun. after RH supposedly took the gun from GL's car. Nothing has been said about who pulled the trigger?

I've got an awful feeling that the potential trial might end up as a mistrial, even if it gets that far.

Lots of the reporting just doesn't seem to make sense.. But I imagine the journalists can only go with what information they can get hold of and are allowed to publish.

I've got an awful feeling that the potential trial might end up as a mistrial, even if it gets that far.

Lots of the reporting just doesn't seem to make sense.. But I imagine the journalists can only go with what information they can get hold of and are allowed to publish.
Yes i agree Tootsie! Also since there's been enormous media attention that may play into how a trial may proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13