Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have an answer to this?

Can he also be done for manslaughter? Or is that unlikely in a Victorian court?
I’m 99% sure the jury has the option to find him guilty of manslaughter or murder but I’m not sure about what happens if he’s found not guilty. I asked a little while ago about other charges he might be facing too but haven’t had any further insight on that to date and nothing has been mentioned in the media.

At a minimum he should be facing penalties for insecure storage of a firearm, destruction of evidence and offensive conduct involving human remains.
JMO

It's remarkable how often 'phone going dark' becomes key evidence against the accused in recent years. Switching your phone off can be highly incriminating.
Yeah. Someone with disposable income like Lynn should have 'dropped his phone and broke it/jumped in pool with it by accident' and wait 2 days before buying a new one and use that time knowing he can't be tracked and now has a legitimate reason for not being trackable.

I kind of agree that the Judge may have got this one wrong.

Generally the prosecution is allowed to put their version/theory to the accused. It is obviously the prosecution theory that any and all shots were fired by GL. GL put in evidence that shots were fired. We know at least one victim was shot.

I don't think they are inventing an account here. The question is who fired the shots.
The “he fired a second shot, I don’t know where it went” statement is interesting to me too, IMO, given later on the stand GL suggests he cleaned up the crime scene so well that nothing remained and the slug now in evidence was planted there.

You’d imagine if there truly were a shot he didn’t know the trajectory of, there’s no way he could be so sure that there weren’t multiple lead fragments left behind in the surrounding area.

Lynn said it was “quite curious” that a lead fragment was discovered almost two years later by a police officer combing the scene where Hill and Clay died. “It’s quite odd,” he said. “It wasn’t there. It must have been moved there.”

IMO he just can’t help himself from showing everyone in the court just how clever he is and his ego will be the undoing of him (that’s if anyone believed his daydream of a story in ge first place).

Lynn maintained the campers died as a result of a tragic accident, claiming Mr Hill shot Ms Clay dead before falling on his own knife moments later in a deadly struggle.

'I am innocent of murder,' he told the jury. 'I haven't killed anyone.'

Ah yes, what I call the old western movie plot where folks just end up dead through awful bad luck, and the guy in the white hat gets the blame.

Lynn told the court he was happy to wear any punishment handed down for his 'despicable' efforts to cover-up what happened that night.

'All I can say to the families is that I am very sorry for your suffering that I caused,' Lynn said.

'I should be punished for what I did.'

The jury is expected to retire to consider its verdict by the end of the week

That "he caused"

‘He knew he had murdered them’: Greg Lynn covered up campers deaths to conceal his crimes, court hears​

Closing arguments begin in trial of former pilot, who has pleaded not guilty to murdering Russell Hill and Carol Clay

The only reasonable explanation for a former Jetstar pilot to cover up the deaths of two elderly campers in the Victorian high country was because “he knew he had murdered them”, the state’s supreme court has heard.

Greg Lynn: Ex-Jetstar pilot claims he was acting in 'self-defence' when Carol Clay and Russell Hill died. Now prosecutors reveal what they think of his version of events

I have no idea why but for the past week whenever I go to the Daily Mail site I am presented with men's tradie work shorts all over the page. :rolleyes:

‘He knew he had murdered them’: Greg Lynn covered up campers deaths to conceal his crimes, court hears​

Closing arguments begin in trial of former pilot, who has pleaded not guilty to murdering Russell Hill and Carol Clay

The only reasonable explanation for a former Jetstar pilot to cover up the deaths of two elderly campers in the Victorian high country was because “he knew he had murdered them”, the state’s supreme court has heard.
I have been following the prosecution summary, and Prs. has been very convincing. Also I have noted tht Dann is not sitting still concentrating as you might expect .. something is up? Frustrated much? Raring to go?? Not sure, we will see.

His actions after their deaths were designed to remove “forensic evidence which could reveal anything about the manner in which they died”. “He knew he had murdered them and, if the scene had been left as it was, the forensic evidence would reveal that fact”.

The prosecution’s case rested on established evidence, not testimony from the police interview, and he rejected his account that the deaths were “a series of unfortunate events”.

‘He knew he had murdered them’: Greg Lynn covered up campers’ deaths to conceal his crimes, court hears

The jury have been urged to completely reject his account of the two deaths as “fanciful”. Porceddu said his actions were deliberate, calculated and were designed to disguise his involvement. “Like the book series it is also a complete fiction, you can and should reject it readily beyond all reasonable doubt. It is also a complete fiction, you can and should reject it readily beyond all reasonable doubt.”

He argued this conduct as an “implied admission” of guilt to prove each of the four elements of murder.

The jury have been urged to completely reject his account of the two deaths as “fanciful”. Porceddu said his actions were deliberate, calculated and were designed to disguise his involvement. “Like the book series it is also a complete fiction, you can and should reject it readily beyond all reasonable doubt. It is also a complete fiction, you can and should reject it readily beyond all reasonable doubt.”

He argued this conduct as an “implied admission” of guilt to prove each of the four elements of murder.
There were only 3 witnesses to what took place and the only one still alive is asking the jury to believe a fanciful concoction of a story in the hope it will get him off their 2 murders. Do the jury believe that far fetched story? Surely not.

I dunno, the thought that someone could be out there doing something like that just seemed totally bananas to me.

Exactly.
The way I see it, whether it's murder, accidental or a murder to hide a manslaughter, the whole thing is bananas.
The fact that these two parties with no prior association happened to camp overnight in the same place while just enjoying some quiet time in the forest, and two of them ended up dead as a result is hard to fathom.

Defence is to continue tomorrow, but today concentrated on pointing out where Prosecution has not been fair, has not followed court rules, has left out evidence from expert witnesses when it didn't help their case and has made up things.

Crown prosecutor Daniel Porceddu said Lynn had moved the campers’ bodies to a second location, where Lynn said he left them in an area where he believed they would be found, covering them in branches to stop animals interfering with them.

The Crown labelled this as “absolute nonsense” and said that the bodies had been placed at the end of a dead-end track “miles and miles” from the Wonnangatta Valley where the searches were taking place.

Oh come on, what a liar!

He's almost making it sound like he wanted them found.

Nobody is going to believe that surely.

He placed their bodies where he did so that he could return when he had more time to destroy them. imo

Then the lockdowns happened and he couldn't return soon, but no-one else could travel either. So he likely felt safe that they wouldn't be found. imo

It says in The Age article that he led the police to where he burned Russell and Carol, BUT he did not tell the police that he then dumped their ashes at the base of a fallen tree, in the root hole. The police discovered that for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitzybjj