Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not as smart as he thought he was.
He thought that no one knew he had been at the camp site.
I think the original Police interview of Lynn will be so heavily edited because he has excellent legal counsel and most of the incriminating stuff he said will be ruled as inadmissible because he was not allowed to do a wee wee or have a can of Coke within a certain amount of time.

I think the original Police interview of Lynn will be so heavily edited because he has excellent legal counsel and most of the incriminating stuff he said will be ruled as inadmissible because he was not allowed to do a wee wee or have a can of Coke within a certain amount of time.

I was wondering about those edits and I wish the judge had have expanded on the reason.

We can assume that Lynn was given the usual caution that everything he says can be and will be used in court against him and that he need not say anything and that he can ask for a lawyer to be present, so his choosing to sit through many hours of recorded interrogation without a lawyer present was his alone.

That being the case, I don't know what would be considered incriminating (or whatever else) apart from anything he said.

Given those many hours, I'm thinking that maybe they are editing the recordings for brevity, possibly removing redundant stuff or long periods of silence.

Old article: 4 December, 2021

He was driven to Sale, showered and fed and was taken to the interview room to be asked questions under a caution that anything he said could be used in evidence.

In such cases it is almost certain his lawyer would have recommended he didn’t talk, but he chose to engage regardless. This is a path often taken by the innocent, or by those who think they are the cleverest person in the room.

People who know him (and there are few) have described him as self-sufficient, self-absorbed, self-contained; a narcissist with an obsessive eye for detail. He was also highly intelligent and calm under pressure.

He was interviewed last year and told police he had not seen the couple and believed he had been cleared.

Experienced police say that in interviews where the subject is talking, it is usual for them to give a version of events that alters when police introduce evidence that casts doubts on the story. Then in later versions the mix of truth and lies alters further as the suspect gives a version that minimises their culpability.

Loner, pilot, barbecue-lover - mystery swirls around accused killer

That's what appears to be happening now.

He disposed of their bodies in bushland before returning to the Union Spur track in November 2020 where he set fire to their remains. He admitted he vomited several times as the bodies burned, saying the smell and the memories were confronting.

Accused burned remains as plan unravelled: court hears

It makes me feel ill when I think of what state the bodies were in when he returned 8 months later.

Lynn said after the pair died, he panicked and knew that if he reported it to police he would lose his career and memberships to exclusive clubs he had recently been accepted into.
Whereas, he had no fears whatever that he might go to jail? He's careful not to mention that part, might give the jury the idea that these killings involved somehow breaking the law. No, keep them focussed on how he had been accepted into exclusive clubs, so they will look up to him.

JMO

I think I read earlier in the trial that the jury can find Lynn guilty (or obvs not guilty) of either murder or manslaughter, can anyone confirm if that’s the case?

Also wondering if anyone knows what other charges he’s facing, if any? We’ve obviously heard about the two counts of murder but surely there must be other charges involving the coverup too? When I search his name on my free courtdata account it shows a 67 next to his name which means there are that many records associated with his name in the database but that doesn’t mean much really (other than to speak to his involvement with the legal system which may only involve the current case).

On the off chance the jury doesn’t find him guilty of murder or manslaughter he surely shouldn’t get away with all the stuff he’s admitted to..?

imo

Seriously this bloke is so full of BS.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I don’t think it’s this blokes first rodeo.

Too much attention to detail from start to finish and knowledge how to cover this up very thoroughly.

I imagine most people would panic and *advertiser censored* themselves quickly if you were to kill 1 person let alone 2.

He is still not owning killing 2 innocent people, trying to worm out but he is stuffed.

IMO he is a gutless coward, he snuck up and killed Russell and Carol whilst they were in the tent when they went to bed.

Quick Bang Bang.

His blood boiled when he was already at that site and told Russell to camp elsewhere and Russell told Lynn to jam it up his posterior.

Weak gutless dog, this was NOT an accident surely the jury will see this IMO.

If Lynn suddenly got a guilty complex once he confessed to the Police, where is the missing trailer? He won’t ever say where this is and we all know why.

He put this in a lake somewhere quickly just before he sprayed the 4WD for the 2nd time.
The police found the add for the trailer on gumtree. Supposedly sold to an Asian guy.He could have staged the add and then put it in lake if he is that devious!

I was wondering about those edits and I wish the judge had have expanded on the reason.

We can assume that Lynn was given the usual caution that everything he says can be and will be used in court against him and that he need not say anything and that he can ask for a lawyer to be present, so his choosing to sit through many hours of recorded interrogation without a lawyer present was his alone.

That being the case, I don't know what would be considered incriminating (or whatever else) apart from anything he said.

Given those many hours, I'm thinking that maybe they are editing the recordings for brevity, possibly removing redundant stuff or long periods of silence.

Yes, I think the police did everything right in that interview. I have posted a link before that said that they allowed him to shower and eat before they even commenced the interview. Feel pretty sure they would have then followed all stated guidelines for his wellbeing.

imo

Dann methodically going over the evidence & proving all the information given to police by Lynn to be true. Bringing Brett Florence to his knees. Game over for prosecution. Wonder what jury will make of it.

Last edited:
Dann methodically going over the evidence & proving all the information given to police by Lynn to be true. Bringing Brett Florence to his knees. Game over for prosecution. Wonder what jury will make of it.
Do you have a link ?

Behind a paywall, I think. Posting it here for those who subscribe
Detective Senior Constable Brett Florence said a listening device had been placed in the couple’s home and the TV program was aired as part of a police strategy.
“As part of our media strategies, and in trying to elicit information, the 60 Minutes program was used. Just like many other programs that are used, it was just one of the avenues, the tools,” he said.

Florence agreed under cross-examination from defence barrister Dermot Dann, KC, that a number of things Lynn had told police were correct.
He also agreed police had gone to some effort to test Lynn’s account of what happened on March 20, 2020.

We are obviously not in the courtroom but from outside it I had the impression, based on what we had been hearing, that this was going to be a slam dunk for the prosecution.

Behind a paywall, I think. Posting it here for those who subscribe

“Was everything [Lynn] said to you true?” [defence barrister Dermot] Dann asked.

“No,” [Detective Senior Constable Brett] Florence replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member