Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN NOTE:

Under Australian law, this case is now under sub judice and the following is not allowed:

Anything that may prejudice the accused’s right to a fair trial
Any history of a defendant’s previous offences
Any suggestions or direct accusations that the accused is either guilty or innocent (i.e. the accused cannot be called "the killer", "the perp"; it has to be "the accused", the "alleged killer" or "the defendant")
Scandalizing the court (disparaging judges/lawyers, any officer of the Court)
Broadcasting anything about proceedings which happen in the jury's absence.
Any non compliance with an Order of the court

Do not post anything that violates the above principles. Doing so can result in charges of contempt of court.

Thank you.

Please continue here.

There was mention earlier (thread #7) of the prosecution not having an explanation for how Russell Hill was killed. Dann also peddled that one out in the courtroom.

There's a good reason for that. It is because the 'victim' of the 'sequence of unfortunate events' did everything he possibly could to destroy every last bit of evidence, including the 2 bodies, and readily admits it.

Thing is, there is no onus on the prosecution to explain the method of the murder. Think Chris Dawson case.

So I am at a loss as to why Manslaughter is off the table.
I would have thought that a reasonable conclusion/theory might be that Greg and Russ got in argument, Greg killed him but intent can't be proved so manslaughter, but then greg had to remove the only witness (intent)- so Murder.

Why is manslaughter off the table?

Google search

Does a jury have to be unanimous in Australia?

Unanimous verdicts are required for all offences heard by a jury in Queensland, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory.

So maybe not the same in Victoria.

Google search

Does a jury have to be unanimous in Australia?

Unanimous verdicts are required for all offences heard by a jury in Queensland, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory.

So maybe not the same in Victoria.
46(4) amended by No. 61/2001 s. 15(1). (4) A verdict that the accused is guilty or not guilty of murder or treason or an offence against section 71 or 72 of the Drugs, Poisons and Controlled Substances Act 1981 or an offence against a law of the Commonwealth must be unanimous.

Why I'm thinking we might get a verdict today :

1/Having followed the case as closely as time would allow, I cannot come to any other conclusion than GL murdered both RH and CC. That's where it all points and I suspect the jurors have made up their mind prior to being dispatched to the jury room.

2/ When I sat on a jury, admittedly years ago, the rules at the time were that if you were still deliberating at the close of Friday you spent the entire weekend alone in a hotel room. I can't remember exactly how long we deliberated for but when we were told early Friday afternoon that if we hadn't reached a verdict by the end of the day, let's just say we got a bit keener to reach a verdict. Now that rule may not apply any more. Don't know?

New episode of The Missing Campers Podcast Dated yesterday

Listened to it driving home last night and Dann was making my blood boil. He started out in his summing up accusing Porceddu of playing dirty chess and then proceeded to play his own dirtier chess. He's no fool and I'm sure, like the rest of us, he suspects GL is as guilty as sin but he has to do everything he can to muddy the water.

Yes I had been thinking that the jury might not want the trial to drag over to the next week.
One of my reasons was that right now, the summing up by both sides and judges remarks are fresh in their minds.

I had also wondered if they would be allowed to go home during their deliberations or put up in a hotel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member