Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“In one instance, one of the investigators asked,

"what happens to a drone when you burn it?"

You could tell Greg didn't know what to say. Almost as if he hadn't rehearsed that part.”

I absolutely love this about detective work!
These well-crafted, perfectly executed questions. Cornering the bad guy.

It gave me a thrill to read this (I’ve seen the short videos but not the 3.5 hour one yet)

Edit: I meant to reply to @Bats

:rolleyes:

Lame, being satisfied with surface level investigation isnt anything to be proud of when you're playing with lives. That's how you send innocents to jail.

If the story is a lie nothing wrong with looking further. Not sure if it's laziness or hubris.
Greg Lynn murdered Carol Clay. He's been convicted of it and is awaiting sentencing for it. <modsnip - personalizing>

Last edited by a moderator:
“In one instance, one of the investigators asked,

"what happens to a drone when you burn it?"

You could tell Greg didn't know what to say. Almost as if he hadn't rehearsed that part.”

I absolutely love this about detective work!
These well-crafted, perfectly executed questions. Cornering the bad guy.

It gave me a thrill to read this (I’ve seen the short videos but not the 3.5 hour one yet)

Edit: I meant to reply to @Bats
That's part of the reason he asked for the piece of paper and pen. It is very hard looking someone in the eye and lying to them. It probably helps if you are a psychopath though.

I had a chuckle right at the end when Greg was explaining how he'd built and installed a new gun safe in his car so incidents like this won't happen again.

I haven't sat through the full 3.5 hours (I'd be more inclined to do that if I could use 2x speed a la YouTube) but have sampled parts of it.

In the part where he describes how he's holding in the gun barrel in his right hand and the stock in the other pushing it against Hill when it gets fired, did the police subsequently ask him why it was loaded? Was he claiming that Hill loaded the gun?

IIRC, he testified that Hill had previously fired shots into the air.

The firearm alledgedly used is one of the deluge of Turkish and alloy receiver style and the like category A firearms to quasi fill the gap in the market left by the banning of the semi auto or A5 browning etc for ordinary hunters.

It is a straight pull 12guage, loading via a magazine, whether there is a safety to disengage I do not know, rather than just one present. This is uncommon, (the action style and having a magazine with a shotgun) not unheard of by any means but much less common. it isn’t an auto - you have to manually cycle the pull mechanism after each cartridge is fired. In this case alledgedly in the air. Add also the unusual laser sight on top of it. You then add to all this a bloke who’s 74, in pyjamas in the dark who’s not a recreational shooter, (rather someone who’s opposed to shooting).

I haven't sat through the full 3.5 hours (I'd be more inclined to do that if I could use 2x speed a la YouTube) but have sampled parts of it.

In the part where he describes how he's holding in the gun barrel in his right hand and the stock in the other pushing it against Hill when it gets fired, did the police subsequently ask him why it was loaded? Was he claiming that Hill loaded the gun?

IIRC, he testified that Hill had previously fired shots into the air.

There's at least 3 parts where he talks about how Carol died. At about, 00:22:30, 01:01:00, 01:52:39. Basically, the 3.5 hours is over 2 days.

Yes, he's definately claimed Russell loaded the gun. He says he took a loaded magazine from the front seat, and then took the shotgun out of a bag from the back seat and as he was walking back he was loading it. Greg claims he asked for it back Then Russell shoots 2 rounds in the air over Greg's head.
That's his story anyway... obviously all determined to be a lie.

Last edited:
If RH indeed walked over to the car, you’d reckon he would be turning the music off rather going for the guns. It becomes all the more unbelievable when he says the magazine was on the front seat, and RH accessed both areas. As if to have it both ways and semi cover himself for seperate ammo storage. Wierd. It’s probably because that’s where he keeps the stuff anyway, it’s just that no one took anything.

I finished the 3.5 hours last night. I think it was easy to tell when he was lying about something.

In one instance, one of the investigators asked, "what happens to a drone when you burn it?" You could tell Greg didn't know what to say. Almost as if he hadn't rehearsed that part.
I think the officer let it go probably because he didn't want Greg to clam up. If I were to guess, he didn't burn the drone.

There were other similar instances where the officers would ask something that he hadn't rehearsed.

I had a chuckle right at the end when Greg was explaining how he'd built and installed a new gun safe in his car so incidents like this won't happen again.
Hi @Bats,
Thanks for a great analysis & for taking one for the team!
I can't listen to him without projectile vomiting - if I said what I think about him I'd be banned in a heartbeat!
WS needs more emojis (to save us getting put in the naughty corner) LOL.
MOO

The firearm alledgedly used is one of the deluge of Turkish and alloy receiver style and the like category A firearms to quasi fill the gap in the market left by the banning of the semi auto or A5 browning etc for ordinary hunters.

It is a straight pull 12guage, loading via a magazine, whether there is a safety to disengage I do not know, rather than just one present. This is uncommon, (the action style and having a magazine with a shotgun) not unheard of by any means but much less common. it isn’t an auto - you have to manually cycle the pull mechanism after each cartridge is fired. In this case alledgedly in the air. Add also the unusual laser sight on top of it. You then add to all this a bloke who’s 74, in pyjamas in the dark who’s not a recreational shooter, (rather someone who’s opposed to shooting).

There is a safety. But once it’s off it’s no different to a rifle ie the safety is not engaged each time the action is cycled. This has to be done manually. The idea of this gun is to cycle quickly. It’s really designed for pigs and not deer. If you recall Lynn’s account he was stalking deer with his Ruger American on his return to camp not his silly Rambo shotgun set up.

Duplicate

Last edited:
I have no doubt about that. With the lengths he went to to destroy evidence I don't think he ever actually expected the knock on the door but that didn't stop him preparing for it. Meticulously.
Hi @Cliff Hardy & @JBowie,
I don't know how to double quote posts - LOL, I wanted to included your last post @JBowie as well, sorry about that!
(imo) there's no question he's manufactured / constructed / manipulated his 'truth', but, listen to Anna-Maria Arabia, Chief Executive, Australian Academy of Science, speak about the 'reliability of memory evidence' - Serious questions raised about the case of convicted triple murderer | 60 Minutes Australia - start at 39:10.
(for context) AMA's background cases: Folbigg, now Farquharson.

Actually, I think there's a much easier way, inject a truth serum, if you're innocent you'd have your arm out in a flash (I would) :D
MOO

18 months and the best he came up with was RH stealing his firearm and shooting it in thebair I was a little disappointed.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

@changintimes I've asked as many questions as anyone but I think at the end of the day while elements could have happened like Lynn said, the jury wasn't convinced and fair enough.

While the ballistics expert didnt use Lynns shotgun it was the same model from the armoury, while unprofessional and a bad look to lie about it it wouldn't make a difference to the actual test results. I'm not sure why you're fixated on the mirror? What are you querying it's a bit hard to follow.
Because the mirror formed part of the prosecution expert witness evidence and there are questions that need to be considered and answered correctly backed by evidence. One such question is at what angle did the forensic/ballistic testers have the mirror set at when performing the trajectory tests and the ? Was the angle set at the same angle, that the remainder of the mirror was set at when police arrived at the scene?

Within the mirror assembly, there should be the electronic adjustment system, and remnants were found within the burnt tent debris. The black plastic rear waterproofing cover is also missing and is believed to have been burnt in the tent. What is evident in the below photo, is that within the mirror assembly there is a comprehensive thick metal plate that appears to be the area the actual glass of the mirror would be positioned in as there are still fragments visible. Underneath this metal plate, there appears to be a small piece of evidence of what may be the black plastic rear waterproofing which appears to have markings that show it too has been subjected to fire. And there is still shards of glass and one large piece (on the right) and a small piece (on the left) still in place.

The burning questions in my mind are: does this metal plate tilt? If it does tilt, would it tilt to the right (as per photo)

Note: . The rear view mirror would be rectangular in shape and sit on the fixing bracket with one of the longest sides almost horizontal to the ground as per the driver side rear view mirror sample below (taken from RH vehicle).
The jury would have seen right through that little fable.

Do you know what the most popular colour is for Australian cars?

White.

Nearly 1 in 3 cars on Australian roads

Here's a much better image of the toilet tent. There is no angle between the side of the toilet tent and the car.

View attachment 514656
Link
The angle is quite obvious in that photo. Thankyou for posting.

The right side of the blue tent is not equidistant from the front length of the vehicle.

The base of the tent is the evidence it is on an angle.

Attachments

• 1719805194850.png
    1719805194850.png
    391.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 1719805410991.png
    1719805410991.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 6

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors