Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we really know how we'd react. My thought is panic a bit first, but that wouldn't be supported by past experience. One time I was somewhere where someone was injured (nothing criminal and I wasn't involved at all, genuine accident in another party) and people around me freaked out while I cooly stepped in and administered the perfect first aid. I also know I can go numb and go through the right motions when faced with a personally traumatic situation. Emotions hit me later. So who knows really? Definitely not destroy or touch anything though.
In my flying days if we experienced an inflight emergency …procedures would kick in immediately….24 hours later you would be a dribbling mess. Goodness knows how somebody operates a commercial aircraft with 200 lives in the mix knowing you had incinerated 2 human beings.

When we were in court on the day he testified from memory the gun was not loaded and the magazine was sitting on the front passenger seat. Prosecution asked how would Russell know which one to load (big gun, big magazine) !!
That Hill took the weapon from Lynn's car, prepared it for firing and had his finger on the trigger is perhaps the most far-fetched thing the defence came up with.

If Lynn had contacted the police and not disposed of the bodies do you think he would have been believed or ended up charged with serious offences?

Obviously I don't know. But there would at least be forensics to maybe support his account (or not). Even if ambiguous evidence that shows it can't be proven if his account is true or not, that allows for doubt to be sewn by the defense.

Lynn’s fanciful fairytale of what happened to Russell and Carol is simply unbelievable IMO.

Fingers and toes crossed that the Jury comes back with 2 guilty verdicts soon.

It is amazing how many serial killer pilots there have been around the world.

Robert Lee Yates, Russell Williams, Roberto Wagner Fernandez, Robert Hansen to name a few.

Maybe having high intelligence makes them a higher threat to the community if they go down the twisted path?

They seem to all be cunning and calculating and be able to hide their emotions well whilst living double lives.

Lynn’s fanciful fairytale of what happened to Russell and Carol is simply unbelievable IMO.

Fingers and toes crossed that the Jury comes back with 2 guilty verdicts soon.

Robert Lee Yates, Russell Williams, Roberto Wagner Fernandez, Robert Hansen to name a few.

Maybe having high intelligence makes them a higher threat to the community if they go down the twisted path?

They seem to all be cunning and calculating and be able to hide their emotions well whilst living double lives.
Not to mention German Wings and MH350.

Years ago I suppose I found it hard to believe that most people would not come forward and admit that they had either killed someone by accident or murdered someone.
I know for myself I wouldn't be able to live with it eating away at me.

I said why wouldn't someone confess ? it would make them feel better.
My friend said something that hadn't occurred to me. He said it's because they don't want to go to jail.
For some reason I was surprised that anyone would think like that.

In my my mind going to jail would be better than the terrible guilt haunting me.

I mean statistically some of you are just following group conformity, saying the feel good moral thing with no idea how they'd actually act. I'm sure some of you genuinely would risk wrongful life imprisonment so a family has closure though.

I'd say I'm honest. In fact I'm being very honest right now.
Not sure where your statistics come from? I'm not "just following group conformity, saying the moral good thing". I'm basing my response on life experience and scrutiny of the presented facts in this case. Most of us here are doing just that.

So I can say I'm being very honest too.

If I genuinely believed I had somehow inadvertently been present at an (extremely) unfortunate situation in which 2 people I didn't know died in 2 separate 'accidents' in 2 separate ways within minutes of one another, then yes, I'd definitely panic. I'd probably run around in circles for a hot minute, go completely blank, lose control of most bodily functions and wonder what the heck just happened. But then I'd get myself together and call 000 and wait at the scene til they arrived. Then I'd call my partner. I'd be absolutely shattered. I'd be in therapy til the end of time.

I would absolutely not remain cool, calm and detached, meticulously clean up the crime scene, return later to destroy all evidence that may have served to show my 'innocence', repaint my car with house paint, remove the awning that the family remarked was just like mine in the 60 Minutes program and worry about losing my knitting club membership.

Last edited:

But then what about scientists, professors, lawyers, etc - arguably more intelligent than pilots? What about their murder stats? Or are they too intelligent to be caught?

Let's just say your panicked reaction was to remove any evidence of the accident and you hid the body hoping it would 'go away'. Once the panic passes, would you not think, this person has a family, this was a human being, their family needs them back? Then go to the police and let them know, even if you tried anonymously to let them know where they were? I wonder, have you ever lost someone very close yourself? Have you ever had someone very close go missing with no clue what happened to them? Do you have any idea what that is like?

Granted there are some situations where you don't know how you'd react unless you experience them, but it won't go away. You'll know. It will always be with you. Even if you don't feel guilt, surely there's the fear of always looking over your shoulder and wondering when/if it would catch up with you? There's no peace in that. That sort of thing doesn't go away.
I agree with you CoffeeHug. For a person who has a conscience (most of us, I hope) that sort of thing doesn't go away.

Unfortunately, some people (from my observations and experience) do not have a conscience, and don't care what others may have to endure as a result THEIR actions.

IMO "a conscience" is under-rated. It is the one difference between perpetrators of the most heinous of crimes throughout history, and the rest of humanity.

JMO

Last edited:
Years ago I suppose I found it hard to believe that most people would not come forward and admit that they had either killed someone by accident or murdered someone.
I know for myself I wouldn't be able to live with it eating away at me.

I said why wouldn't someone confess ? it would make them feel better.
My friend said something that hadn't occurred to me. He said it's because they don't want to go to jail.
For some reason I was surprised that anyone would think like that.

In my my mind going to jail would be better than the terrible guilt haunting me.

Don't take this as a dig at you Toots but If people don't consider jail as a possible consequence for admitting something like that they've been living a very sheltered life. I don't see why you'd suffer terrible guilt either if it was an accident.

I'd be curious if you felt the same a few years into your sentence.

I am glad a lot of you guys took a strong stance on coming forward, it's inspiring to see. I'm far from perfect and seeing how one sided the opinions are it's given me something to think about.
If I genuinely believed I had somehow inadvertently been present at an (extremely) unfortunate situation in which 2 people I didn't know died in 2 separate 'accidents' in 2 separate ways within minutes of one another, then yes, I'd definitely panic. I'd probably run around in circles for a hot minute, go completely blank, lose control of most bodily functions and wonder what the heck just happened. But then I'd get myself together and call 000 and wait at the scene til they arrived. Then I'd call my partner. I'd be absolutely shattered. I'd be in therapy til the end of time.

I would absolutely not remain cool, calm and detached, meticulously clean up the crime scene, return later to destroy all evidence that may have served to show my 'innocence', repaint my car with house paint, remove the awning that the family remarked was just like mine in the 60 Minutes program and worry about losing my knitting club membership.

That's a pretty fair reaction to have.

Now if those 2 dead people had been abusive to you all day, other campers had seen and you'd blown up at them in public. A couple hours later they're both dead and woopsie they somehow accidentally shot each other with no witnesses. Would any part of you pause for a fraction of a second and think 'oh merde they might think I had something to do with it?' or 'they'll never believe this was an accident'.

Of course most people would just press on and have faith that the truth prevails, but once you've got that in your mind it'd be hard to get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnootWolf02