Australia - Siege/Ambush at Remote Property - 6 Dead Including 2 Police/Neighbor - Wieambilla (Queensland)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Seems as if - if this prior incident was investigated fully - Nathaniel Train's proclivities might have been discovered so much sooner. It might have revealed that the police needed to have these people on their radar.
I tend to agree- not that I’m bagging the police force, but it seems some element of complacency has let this incident slip through the cracks.
It’s probably a big exercise to list details of everyone who may be deemed suspicious, and there are issues of information sharing between states and even stations, but it could eliminate future crimes.

Detectives have charged two men after they allegedly attempted to steal two motorbikes from a property in Wieambilla, which is the subject of a crime scene.

Reading a few news stories today posted on fb..surprised how many conspiracy theorist doomsdayers are out there. It wasn’t just a few comments…there were lots. All hell bent against the police and the govt and wanting to arm themselves. Funny how the majority of us who don’t partake in dodgy activities don’t get into trouble either

Reading a few news stories today posted on fb..surprised how many conspiracy theorist doomsdayers are out there. It wasn’t just a few comments…there were lots. All hell bent against the police and the govt and wanting to arm themselves. Funny how the majority of us who don’t partake in dodgy activities don’t get into trouble either
I have one in my family. The time I had to spend sharing a home with him was frightening, thankfully shortlived. I can only imagine how much worse he's become since COVID.

I honestly don’t know how it hasn’t happened earlier.
Pandemic times have been very bizarre. Police powers changed, people were isolated for really long periods of time by the government, and body autonomy was taken away. Its all been back pedalled on now though. In my opinion it was only a matter of time before someone did something like this.

Queensland's premier says leaders should discuss a national gun register, after the ABC revealed police killer Nathaniel Train illegally crossed the state border carrying multiple weapons.

It comes as police today seized a four-wheel-drive suspected of being used by Train to carry a load of guns and other weapons into Queensland a year before he was involved in the fatal shooting of Constables Matthew Arnold and Rachel McCrow at Wieambilla, west of Brisbane, last week.

Queensland's premier says leaders should discuss a national gun register, after the ABC revealed police killer Nathaniel Train illegally crossed the state border carrying multiple weapons.

It comes as police today seized a four-wheel-drive suspected of being used by Train to carry a load of guns and other weapons into Queensland a year before he was involved in the fatal shooting of Constables Matthew Arnold and Rachel McCrow at Wieambilla, west of Brisbane, last week.
Oh, they seize the vehicle off the gentleman’s property now.

Would have maybe been a good idea to do this earlier. JMO.

This is such a complex story and situation...
We certainly have discussed expanding worldwide conspiracy type behaviors-- on the Covid threads, the Jan 6 thread...

Two questions that keep coming into my head here--and I ask some of you Australian locals to help me out.
1. There appears to be a pretty strong national tendency to "live and let live", and not get involved with others' lives..
2. How do most Australians feel about the strict Federal gun laws... Its hard not to imagine how things could be, if those laws had not been established decades ago....

1. There appears to be a pretty strong national tendency to "live and let live", and not get involved with others' live
Maybe Australians used to be like that but it seems it's changing. We're becoming a nation of dobbers.

"We might like to pride ourselves on being a country of mateship with an almost larrikin* approach to authority*, but new research shows we are becoming a nation of dobbers.

Data from Crime Stoppers, the national service for anonymously* reporting crimes and suspicious activities, shows Australians have increasingly dobbed in others to the police during the Covid-19 pandemic.

University of NSW law and justice Associate Professor Catherine Bond said that when the federal government declared a state of emergency in response to Covid, it was enthusiastically* policed by regular people"

And it's not just Covid, more and more people have been reporting others for all sorts of things. Been heading that way for years.

We certainly have discussed expanding worldwide conspiracy type behaviors-- on the Covid threads, the Jan 6 thread...

Two questions that keep coming into my head here--and I ask some of you Australian locals to help me out.
1. There appears to be a pretty strong national tendency to "live and let live", and not get involved with others' lives..
2. How do most Australians feel about the strict Federal gun laws... Its hard not to imagine how things could be, if those laws had not been established decades ago....
Aussie here, so from my experience:

1. We tend to be an easy going bunch unless that 'live and let live' motto dangerously affects other peoples lives. Of course the pandemic with it's lockdowns, vaccines and the descent of some people down the paranoid conspiracies rabbit hole has fueled a tension that barely existed before.
As I live in the Northern Rivers of NSW ( anti-vax capital of the country) I find myself constantly disagreeing with people about the misinformation they spout and I'm not surprised we have had this horrific incident happen. Especially concerning are people living in remote areas and isolating themselves.
2. Without a doubt the majority of Australians are happy with our gun laws and many would like them stricter even the anti-vaxxers. We look at America and we shudder, we do not know how a country can live like that...that is not freedom to us

Interestingly, the rural Western Downs area of Qld (Wieambilla, where this crime happened, is in the Western Downs) has a high rate of gun theft. The reason being that farmers there are not locking their guns up securely.

QUEENSLAND’S Western Downs region carries the unflattering statistic of having one of the highest rates of firearm theft in the state ....
The campaign over the previous six months resulted in 2,300 weapons being surrendered as part of a permanent national amnesty.
Despite its low population compared to other regions, the Western Downs recorded more than 65 weapons offences over the past year.

(Although I can't see the date on this article, Google says it is from 4th April 2022)

Queensland Police Union plan to buy Wieambilla property where two officers were killed in ambush​

Union president Ian Leavers said he did not want the land to "fall into the wrong hands".

Mr Leavers said he had spoken to the families of the fallen officers about the proposal.

"This is a very emotional time for Matthew's and Rachel's families, and I have been talking with them, and they are really pleased," he said.
"Not only will this be in memory to Rachel and Matthew, but also this land can be used for a purpose for policing."

2. How do most Australians feel about the strict Federal gun laws... Its hard not to imagine how things could be, if those laws had not been established decades ago.
I have always felt a sense of comfort after the Howard Government introduced the Federal gun laws in Australia.

I can’t speak for anyone else.

Tomorrow, Wednesday 21/12, there is a memorial service for Const McCrow and Const Arnold at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre.
And there are specific places all over Qld where the public can gather to pay their respects, at that time.

Also:
The memorial service will be televised live via Channel 9, 7 and ABC News 24 from 9.30am.
A livestream will also be available on the Queensland Police Service Facebook page.

Police took a statement about former school principal Nathaniel Train in connection with weapons offences and a COVID-19 border breach almost eight months before he was involved in shooting dead two constables and a neighbour.

The officers were responding to a missing person's report about Nathaniel and did not appear to be expecting any trouble when they came under fire after entering the property occupied by the trio at Wieambilla on the Western Downs.

Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll said a risk assessment had been done and the officers were "comfortable going to this job as a BAU [business as usual] job".

This was despite information having been given to Queensland police months earlier about Train's possession of firearms and breaching of the Queensland border in the Goondiwindi region in December 2021.

During the incident he was suspected of illegally dumping the weapons in floodwaters before travelling north into Queensland with other weapons.

The ABC has confirmed that as part of enquiries, Goondiwindi police took a statement on April 29 that clearly identified Train as being involved in the incident.

The statement taken by a Goondiwindi general duties officer, and sighted by the ABC, noted that Train had identified himself by name and said he was the principal of Walgett State School.

Police took a statement about former school principal Nathaniel Train in connection with weapons offences and a COVID-19 border breach almost eight months before he was involved in shooting dead two constables and a neighbour.

The officers were responding to a missing person's report about Nathaniel and did not appear to be expecting any trouble when they came under fire after entering the property occupied by the trio at Wieambilla on the Western Downs.

Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll said a risk assessment had been done and the officers were "comfortable going to this job as a BAU [business as usual] job".

This was despite information having been given to Queensland police months earlier about Train's possession of firearms and breaching of the Queensland border in the Goondiwindi region in December 2021.

During the incident he was suspected of illegally dumping the weapons in floodwaters before travelling north into Queensland with other weapons.

The ABC has confirmed that as part of enquiries, Goondiwindi police took a statement on April 29 that clearly identified Train as being involved in the incident.

The statement taken by a Goondiwindi general duties officer, and sighted by the ABC, noted that Train had identified himself by name and said he was the principal of Walgett State School.
Omg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megsleuths97
Back