Australia - Siege/Ambush at Remote Property - 6 Dead Including 2 Police/Neighbor - Wieambilla (Queensland)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

I wonder where this hideout was on the property??

View attachment 521581

Insp Newton said Nathaniel Train could not be seen by the officers as he sat in the hide 185 metres down his driveway that allowed him to survey his front gate, while aiming his high-powered rifle through a pre-prepared gap in the leaves surrounding him.

He opened fire on Const Arnold when he was 70m away.”

“Less than two minutes after the officers entered the property a shot rang out and Constable Arnold was killed about 120m from the front gate.”

I wonder what happened to the dogs you can see inside from the pol air chopper?

I also wonder what findings are going to come out of this inquest, hopefully some improvement to the "black spots" . It's really not good enough, that the first the police coms here of this is via police on their personal phones. What if they were flat or themselves had no signal??

Black spots, faulty equipment plagued first officers at Wieambilla shootout with Trains​

Black spots, reception issues and a faulty car made it difficult for the first officers to respond to calls of ‘shots fired’ and assistance at the Wieambilla shooting, an inquest into the tragic incident has heard.

Last edited:

Wieambilla inquest hears police knew some bush block properties in the area were booby trapped​

Police knew some back block properties at Wieambilla were fitted out with "booby traps", pits, and spikes designed to "injure persons entering", an officer has told a Queensland court.

Constable Craig Loveland was one of the first police officers on the scene after the shooting in Queensland's Western Downs, and a close colleague of the two constables shot dead.

On Thursday, Constable Loveland was asked at an inquest into the shooting what it was like to police the Tara and Wieambilla districts.

He told the court officers were advised not to enter some properties around Wieambilla, or "the blocks" as they were commonly called, by themselves.

"[There would be] signs saying, 'do not enter or you will be shot,'" Constable Loveland said

"Certain addresses on the blocks had flags in regards to man traps, also known as booby traps.

I wonder what happened to the dogs you can see inside from the pol air chopper?

I also wonder what findings are going to come out of this inquest, hopefully some improvement to the "black spots" . It's really not good enough, that the first the police coms here of this is via police on their personal phones. What if they were flat or themselves had no signal??

Black spots, faulty equipment plagued first officers at Wieambilla shootout with Trains​

Black spots, reception issues and a faulty car made it difficult for the first officers to respond to calls of ‘shots fired’ and assistance at the Wieambilla shooting, an inquest into the tragic incident has heard.

The communication system was one of the points that were set out to be addressed in the findings required that I had previously posted here, June 23, #209. So hopefully, this issue will be required to be resolved as a matter of urgency.

5a. Whether the Queensland Police Service communication system was adequate.

Those poor dogs, they must have been terrified!! Let’s hope the dogs were unharmed and rehomed. The Polair video is so sad, I think the music added to the sadness and started the tears flowing. What a terrible tragedy!

The coroner heard the officers who responded to help were not allowed to approach the shooting scene as they were armed with Glock pistols with a 15-metre accuracy range.

The suspects were armed with high-powered rifles and had fired at officers while at long range and hidden.

Loveland said one of the few officers trained to use the rifles kept at police stations was Constable Matthew Arnold, who had been killed
during the initial shooting.”

I wonder if there should be more Police trained in the use of the rifles kept at Police stations?

The communication system was one of the points that were set out to be addressed in the findings required that I had previously posted here, June 23, #209. So hopefully, this issue will be required to be resolved as a matter of urgency.

5a. Whether the Queensland Police Service communication system was adequate.

Those poor dogs, they must have been terrified!! Let’s hope the dogs were unharmed and rehomed. The Polair video is so sad, I think the music added to the sadness and started the tears flowing. What a terrible tragedy!
Thanks , I missed that.

This whole thing is just sooo damn sad. So so bloody sad.

I really hope that QLP police look after these officers, including the SERT team who took out the Train's & not treat them like Officer A ( Ben ) who to this day is fighting to have his name known ( Btw his book Tiger Tiger Tiger is a great read) from the Lindt Siege- which it will be the 10TH anniversary on Dec 15th 2024

The coroner heard the officers who responded to help were not allowed to approach the shooting scene as they were armed with Glock pistols with a 15-metre accuracy range.

The suspects were armed with high-powered rifles and had fired at officers while at long range and hidden.

Loveland said one of the few officers trained to use the rifles kept at police stations was Constable Matthew Arnold, who had been killed
during the initial shooting.”

I wonder if there should be more Police trained in the use of the rifles kept at Police stations?

BBM : But apparently there were no red flags ( even after Nathaniel , just up & vanishing, dumping weapons at the border & buying ammunition after that ) these junior police were sent to arrest him. Would they have thought to take a rifle? ( clearly Officer Arnold didn't think so )

I think serious questions need to be asked about that. Local cops knew about traps being set on "blocks" out that way.

What info did NSWPF have about the Train's & was that shared or able to be shared with QLD police??

Lots in this article for those able to read

Inspector Rasmussen said once Mr Dare had been taken back to the command post arrangements were made with Mrs Dare so she could say her “final goodbyes”.

When constables McCrow and Arnold and Mr Dare were taken away from the scene police formed a guard of honour.

“There were fewer people there at that time,” Inspector Rasmussen said.

“Those of us that were there, we lined up and saluted all three.”

He told the court officers were advised not to enter some properties around Wieambilla, or "the blocks" as they were commonly called, by themselves.

"[There would be] signs saying, 'do not enter or you will be shot,'" Constable Loveland said

"Certain addresses on the blocks had flags in regards to man traps, also known as booby traps.

What the heck does that mean?? "Certain addresses".

Does that mean that they know that there are more deluded maniacs like the Trains living out there?
Or maybe meth labs ......

Last edited:

Just to add .....in drsleuth's last link it says that Insp Mowle had to change between three separate radio channels, in order to maintain communication during the siege.

Wieambilla inquest: Radios kept dropping out as police raced to Wieambilla shooting

What the heck does that mean?? "Certain addresses". Does that mean that they know that there are more deluded maniacs like the Trains living out there?
Probably.

I wish the cops had done some investigating of this lunatic mob before going there....

Constable Craig Loveland had been there twice before, knew they had CCTV cameras as he waved his card he left at the gate. Signs on the gates, a coffee mug that said "have a nice day" glued to the fence post near the gate - I'd take that as a threat? Knew he had to take other police with him, which he did

Constable Craig Loveland told State Coroner Terry Ryan he was at Tara Police Station about 30km south of Wieambilla when he got the call to assist a "shots fired" incident.
Loveland said the incident was in an area known as "the blocks" and he had been advised by more experienced officers not to attend that area by himself.
"I was told to get a second officer for certain areas and certain addresses … there were signs saying 'do not enter or you will be shot'," he said. Loveland said he had seen the signs himself and had probably entered properties with them.

I wonder if these junior officers knew of these "blocks"?

Insp Newton said Nathaniel Train could not be seen by the officers as he sat in the hide 185 metres down his driveway that allowed him to survey his front gate, while aiming his high-powered rifle through a pre-prepared gap in the leaves surrounding him.

He opened fire on Const Arnold when he was 70m away.”

“Less than two minutes after the officers entered the property a shot rang out and Constable Arnold was killed about 120m from the front gate.”

Utterly horrifying. Miraculous that two officers were able to escape.

I just remember this from the beginning. The horror, but also learning about this family--who seemed pretty normal before all the violence set in. I will have to go back to find.... but I STILL want to try to follow up on the guy in the States-- Arizona or Colorado--i think, who was guiding them. I would be sure the fbi is on top of him....but who knows.

I just remember this from the beginning. The horror, but also learning about this family--who seemed pretty normal before all the violence set in. I will have to go back to find.... but I STILL want to try to follow up on the guy in the States-- Arizona or Colorado--i think, who was guiding them. I would be sure the fbi is on top of him....but who knows.

In the links that were posted earlier about him by @scapa (here) and in this link (below), Donald Day Jr sounds like a complete nutter. The FBI are holding him in an FBI facility in Tuscon.

The FBI arrested him in a Dairy Queen car park because they knew they would be subjected to what our Qld police were subjected to, if they tried to arrest him at his property.

BUT one of the links says he is only up for a max of 5 years for each of the charges against him ... two counts of making threats, illegal gun possession, and threatening FBI agents.

And one of the links says Day's lawyer says Day has stage 4 colon cancer. Day also thought he had brain cancer (undiagnosed) before that, and his wife cured him. :rolleyes:

For almost a year, Mr Day had been hiding behind a profile picture of Hannibal Lecter
(His) viewpoint that extremism researchers describe as "accelerationism"
Mr Day has previously likened the wind turbines to an "act of war"
"You can, in fact, go to any cemetery and register the bluetooth signals emanating from the graves of those who accepted the vaxx and who had succumbed to its effects," he said in one comment.

Inside the god-fearing and conspiratorial worldviews of Donald Day Jr

No doubt the Police armoured vehicle - Bearcat kept the brave officers in the SERT team safe.

1722512198474.jpeg

“One such vehicle is the Lenco Bearcat, which Queensland Police has in its arsenal, both in Brisbane and Cairns, as part of the Special Emergency Response Team (SERT). Although Bearcat is a pretty wild name for anything with wheels, it actually stands for ‘Ballistic Engineered Armoured Response Counter Attack Truck’, though we suspect it’s a case of coming up with the acronym after the name.

Here you have a Ford F-550 monster truck turned into a bulletproof military-grade tactical response vehicle that you’ve probably never seen on duty. Meanwhile, while you’re sleeping safely at night, this $400,000 (plus fitting, which we are told brings the price close to a million AUD – without luxury car tax…) is getting used a fair bit by the brave men and women of SERT and other police forces around Australia. In Brisbane, the vehicle is used in the line of duty on average once every two weeks.

The Bearcat is powered by a 6.2-litre turbo-diesel V8 engine with 287kW and 583Nm of torque. That’s not an awful lot compared to some modern diesel engines, but the purpose of the Bearcat is to be reliable rather than fast necessarily. The engine is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission and the vehicle is left-hand drive and legally requires at least two people in the vehicle to operate unless under extreme conditions.

The body armour is military-spec steel that can withstand multi-hit attacks. There are gun portals all around and a turret mount with a full shield at the top. If you pay close attention, it’s what you’ll see in American movies being used by SWAT teams. All in all, it’s the sort of vehicle you do not want to see in your rear-view mirror. Ever.

Not only because it can literally ram you out of the way thanks to its front removable bash plates designed to make mincemeat out of gates and fencing. It's also because of its sheer presence, which would usually mean there are potentially fully armed and geared police inside ready to deal with serious threats.”

No doubt the Police armoured vehicle - Bearcat kept the brave officers in the SERT team safe.

View attachment 521849

“One such vehicle is the Lenco Bearcat, which Queensland Police has in its arsenal, both in Brisbane and Cairns, as part of the Special Emergency Response Team (SERT). Although Bearcat is a pretty wild name for anything with wheels, it actually stands for ‘Ballistic Engineered Armoured Response Counter Attack Truck’, though we suspect it’s a case of coming up with the acronym after the name.

Here you have a Ford F-550 monster truck turned into a bulletproof military-grade tactical response vehicle that you’ve probably never seen on duty. Meanwhile, while you’re sleeping safely at night, this $400,000 (plus fitting, which we are told brings the price close to a million AUD – without luxury car tax…) is getting used a fair bit by the brave men and women of SERT and other police forces around Australia. In Brisbane, the vehicle is used in the line of duty on average once every two weeks.

The Bearcat is powered by a 6.2-litre turbo-diesel V8 engine with 287kW and 583Nm of torque. That’s not an awful lot compared to some modern diesel engines, but the purpose of the Bearcat is to be reliable rather than fast necessarily. The engine is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission and the vehicle is left-hand drive and legally requires at least two people in the vehicle to operate unless under extreme conditions.

The body armour is military-spec steel that can withstand multi-hit attacks. There are gun portals all around and a turret mount with a full shield at the top. If you pay close attention, it’s what you’ll see in American movies being used by SWAT teams. All in all, it’s the sort of vehicle you do not want to see in your rear-view mirror. Ever.

Not only because it can literally ram you out of the way thanks to its front removable bash plates designed to make mincemeat out of gates and fencing. It's also because of its sheer presence, which would usually mean there are potentially fully armed and geared police inside ready to deal with serious threats.”

Yes, I saw a photo of the bearcat at the scene. It had been shot at, but the bullets didn't pierce through the windscreen ... only put some damage in it.

a.jpg

View attachment 521849

Yes, that vehicle's a beast! Pretty sure the shooters would have changed their attitude when they saw that...
JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove