Found Deceased Australia - Stephanie Scott, 26, Leeton, NSW, 5 April 2015 - #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too much should not be made of the gaming connection. Millions of people play violent video games, watch horror movies and listen to death metal without hurting anyone. In fact some of the nicest and most genuine people I know are into that stuff. And game development is a legitimate career that's pretty hard to break into because so many people want to do it.

Just to add, I also feel terrible for the people connected to this man, his family, this company, everyone.

It just takes one sick/selfish/obsessed person to throw the lives of so many people into horror and despair. Those connected to both the victims and the killers, as well as our communities.

If anything good can possibly come of all these terrible deaths we've had here lately, I hope it's 1. reform to parole/sentencing laws and 2. increased resources thrown at help and awareness for male mental health issues.

+1 for the last few posts. Avid violent-game player, death metalhead and horror nut here, no criminal record or likelihood of ever having one ha.

I firmly believe it's much more a case of that kind of media attracting damaged minds rather than creating them.

I know game developers, and this is really not how it is. The ones I know are smart, upstanding young women and men, some of whom develop horror-genre and violent games with the 100% understanding that it's fiction... because they're not mental.

There is just NO comparing them to this killer, who lived at home with his mum and had no social life, didn't try to make one, and cannot be healthy of mind, because he killed a woman, set fire to her and took pictures. There's killer cops, nurses and doctors, do we blame their exposure to real violence and blood for their crimes?

Not being cross at you, kiwi, just a bit tired of the blame being put on content that's normal for many normal people and has been for decades now.

How about blaming the killers.

This guy behaves like a classic disorganised killer, and if the driving back and forth at the school thing is true, I am pretty sure he was monitoring police activity, and seeing as he took a photo trophy, maybe getting a thrill out of it as well.

He aint too smart, and/or his excitement overwhelmed good sense.

Still catching up on this thread (I've been absent..) but I am betting we find in this killer many similarities to Morgan Huxley's killer, another 20-something loner and misfit, living at home and with no mates. Might be wrong - but my feeling is he'll have had a similar fantasy building in his mind for months, maybe longer, and poor Stephanie may or may not be the sole focus of it.

It will come out that this guy has been a bit "off" all his life.

Reminds me of Dupas (another one..like Kelsall too..) - soft loner of a kid, mum's boy, outwardly 'harmless' looking, passive to authority but sick in the head beyond belief.

Anyway, late to thread but thanks all for the posts. I can't focus too much on poor Stephanie and her loved ones, it's emotionally getting to me, all these murders here.. words can't express how sad this makes me, how terrible it is.

Ditto, Morgan Huxley's killer came to my mind too.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-...-in-fear-after-stephanie-scott-murder/6387256

Two things of interest here:

'Griffith Local Area Commander Superintendent Michael Rowan said murders were still very rare and there was no evidence others were involved with the crime.'

OK, so police think he carried this out all on his own.

'Superintendent Rowan said while the investigating team was very committed, officers were becoming tired as they continued with the numerous lines of inquiry.'

Police are getting tired? I can see where he's coming from and perhaps they have less officers to go round in a small country town, but I've just never heard quite that type of expression being used by police re their own work before. Gives me the impression they are being worn down by VS' lack of cooperation. They certainly still sound quite desperate to get info from the public. I guess it rests on the police to put a brief of evidence together for the prosecution case and of course they want this person out of society for what he did, but they need the facts and the evidence.
VS might be playing games with the police. Or he might be angry at himself for having been caught out or angry at the police for having caught him, so now he's doing everything possible to hinder the investigation. It really does sound like the police are basically having to recreate the whole chain of events from scratch and put all the pieces together themselves.

Ditto, Morgan Huxley's killer came to my mind too.

Yep. Another new arrival to the country, not very social, big awful secrets that we didn't find out about until everything was unearthed. I have a feeling that the same thing will happen here.

I'm always a bit intrigued about what the brief of the defence lawyer is, in cases where it's blatantly obvious their client (VS) is guilty. Not sure how early on in the piece VS' solicitor came on board, but could it be the solicitor who is advising VS to not say anything??
What's the solicitor's role vis a vis the police investigation? Someone said upthread (Trooper?) that police are actually quite keen for a solicitor acting for the accused to come on board asap, if i understood that correctly?
But in this case, cdoul this tactic of just not saying anything be the only leg the 'defence team' have to stand on? It's like 'we all know VS did it' but if we just dont cooperate, perhaps the cops will not be able to put a seamless prosecution case together'??

I agree it's strange to read that the police are "tired". Could it also mean they are being inundated by calls from the locals with pieces of information?

Sounds like they are still very keen for info about the movements of VS' car especially.
Many months of investigation work ahead ...... That doesn't sound too promising. Ain't sounding like the trial is going to happen any time soon. They might even have to push out the flagged early June court hearing if there's no further 'evidence' as such?
Must be the result of this guy just flying under everyone's radar. No one knew him, no one noticed him. Whether he was up to no good or not!

I am not a gamer, myself. ....model stuff, etc I don't know much about it, nor the attraction of it, but I presume it takes up time, probably addictive, but does it require interaction?? is it a solo pursuit or a team thing??

When it says he was a "3d Modeller", this is talking about game development. It's not a physical model like a model train or plane.

From looking at the website and profiles for these guys, I think it is fair to say that they came up with a plan to develop a game app that would be distributed on the app store. (It says this on the forum someone posted up thread where they were looking for a new team member).

A LOT of amateur gaming enthusiasts try their hand at app development and gaming software....a couple of years ago especially, people with a basic knowledge of games development were all developing apps and planning on being the next "Angry Birds", making millions.

I don't think this gaming company was anything more than the brothers putting their heads together to develop a game app. They can give themselves the fancy titles, they can setup a web page (an extremely bad one at that), but nothing ever comes of it. It obviously didn't come to fruition.

I sincerely doubt this venture was anything more than a hobby and a dream for them, that never quite happened - hence - he continued working as a cleaner.

Oh, that is odd!

The description of the game created from website is also very disturbing.

Most games are probably disturbing to people who don't play them! lol
It didn't look much different to all the ones that are popular, to me.

I don't think this gaming company was anything more than the brothers putting their heads together to develop a game app. They can give themselves the fancy titles, they can setup a web page (an extremely bad one at that), but nothing ever comes of it. It obviously didn't come to fruition.

I sincerely doubt this venture was anything more than a hobby and a dream for them, that never quite happened - hence - he continued working as a cleaner.

There were several other people involved, some of them with game development degrees and decent resumes. So it wasn't just the brothers. Seems the twin was part of the company, no mention of the accused anywhere on the staff lists.

My early guess is, the accused was riding on his brother's tails there.

There were several other people involved, some of them with game development degrees and decent resumes. So it wasn't just the brothers. Seems the twin was part of the company, no mention of the accused anywhere on the staff lists.

My early guess is, the accused was riding on his brother's tails there.

That was the impression I got too. The twin and the other guy were driving it, and VS was a tag along.

I agree it's strange to read that the police are "tired". Could it also mean they are being inundated by calls from the locals with pieces of information?

That stuck out to me as well. Probably a handful of local cops been working round the clock for the past few days. Has there been mention of additional police coming in to relieve them or anything?

Ausgirl, I agree. The people who write these sorts of games are not really that different from the average person who enjoys horror movies or reading murder mysteries.

Same as when massacres get blamed on heavy metal bands. I don't think any of these things cause a killer to do what they do. They are already seriously f..ked up to start with and the things they play/watch play a small part in a very big picture.

It could be that they have an interest in that stuff not for entertainment like normal people but because they are sick in the head.

Liadan - you've put into words something that's been lurking at the back of my mind but I tried to push it away. I hate the thought of this family to go through anymore pain.

I agree with all those saying that there shouldn't be too much focus on the game. For starters, it doesn't appear that VS has had any real input in the writing of the game - looks to me more like he was coming on board to help with the actual development.

Secondly, I really don't think people should be saying how "sick" it is to be interested in the genre of games. The horror genre is HUGE, and if you have teenage boys, or know anyone in their 20s, they likely play similar games.

Gaming is no longer something that is only done by nerdy, creepy guys in their basement. It's a mainstream activity which is done in probably most homes with a male between the ages of 15 - 40, and beyond. Look at the huge sales of the PS4, XBOX etc, and then there are the desktop gamers, as well as the smaller games which are played on mobile devices, like this one was going to be.

Someone mentioned how "sick" the "twins" were. We don't know ANYTHING about the other twin, and people shouldn't be calling him names. He has done nothing. And, we also do not know ANY circumstances of this crime, so people speculating that he's been hiding cameras in the school, stalking, planning and plotting to mutilate someone because of this game (which does not even sound like it was ever released) is kind of crazy to read.

I know that speculation is a huge part of this site, but honestly, I have to shake my head when reading some of the theories that people come up with!

Also, I am an avid horror movie enthusiast and horror fiction fan. I'm interested in crime and obviously everyone here is as well, or we would not be part of this site. It does not make someone capable of doing something horrific. Their mental illness does that. I could never so much as harm an insect (literally!), and I'd hate to be painted with a brush as being a sicko because I'm into horror films.

Just my 2c! (more like $2 in this case! LOL)

That was the impression I got too. The twin and the other guy were driving it, and VS was a tag along.

Yes, that's what I was getting at too. I don't think he was much of a driver in the whole project, more like jumping on board, perhaps his brother let him get involved out of pity....who knows.

There must have been something that instantly clicked with VS's poor mother and older brother for them to cooperate so fully with police right from the beginning. If it were my son/brother I would be in such denial and shock.

After clicking on link after link on the game developer's site, I landed on a page (which I cannot now find but will try to) that promoted 'interactive murder mysteries' (the audience uses their smart phones to vote out villians and decide on the outcome). I'm imagining this loner, who may have seen his twin as 'the successful one' but wasn't 'smart enough' to be invited to join the company, feeling rejected and thinking 'I'll show you a real murder mystery.'

I fully agree with those who say that these games, in themselves, do not create murderers but may indeed attract someone with a predisposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoyasalas