Australia Australia - Tegan Lane, 2 days old, Sydney, 14 Sept 1996 *K. Lane guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have worked in the hospital setting for 10 years and I'm pretty sure the progress note they showed had the time of documentation as 1400 (in the left margin). Nurses usually do all their documentation at once (ie for all the patients under their care). Therefore it is completely plausible that the note was written some time after her actual discharge. If they were following proper medicolegal documentation guidelines they really should have documented "discharged at xxxx hrs."

I'm intrigued by the way in which Kelli offered absolutely no other details about Andrew. Also why no mention of the taxi driver who claimed she left the baby in some bushland?
Elise Worthington the ABC journalist wrote on the FB group that the taxi driver was found to be a mental case, the story was baseless.

Yes I agree that the 'Andrew' as described by Keli, really has nothing to him. We now have a face and an address only when Keli was pressured to give something about him. If she is so desperate to clear her name, I would think that there would be a lot more anecdotal details. What's he like, what they talked about etc etc

Thanks soso, still the best source for DT! :)

I get it now. They didn't know when exactly she and baby left. So writing 1400 was the best they could say. It would be some unknown amount of time before 1400.

Then nurse had to change her story at trial, perhaps not to look bad for herself and hospital.

BTW, there are tonnes of Q&A at the Exposed FB group!

Lots of memories have changed over the years, haven't they?

1400hrs imo is the time that the nurse wrote her report. I wonder if the above entry was earlier that day. Morning rounds maybe. Fefol ordered and hemoglobin to be checked in 3 months. Sounds as though Keli's iron count was low and that was a part of the discharge plan. Follow up hb and referral to Ryde DMP which of course the entry on the 16th at 13.20 hrs says Keli refused.
What time the nurse contacted the blotted out presumably MD would have been a useful time entry to be included.

Keli added Tegan to her Medicare membership at Auburn Hospital, it was said. Did she ever remove her from her Medicare membership? If so when? Why would she do that if she intended to walk to the foyer and hand her new born baby girl over to the bio father?

So many questions.

Lane v R [2013] NSWCCA 317 (13 December 2013)
EXPOSED: The Case Of Keli Lane

Attachments

• notes.png
    notes.png
    425.1 KB · Views: 23
  • notes ..png
    notes ..png
    406.1 KB · Views: 17
Lots of memories have changed over the years, haven't they?

1400hrs imo is the time that the nurse wrote her report. I wonder if the above entry was earlier that day. Morning rounds maybe. Fefol ordered and hemoglobin to be checked in 3 months. Sounds as though Keli's iron count was low and that was a part of the discharge plan. Follow up hb and referral to Ryde DMP which of course the entry on the 16th at 13.20 hrs says Keli refused.
What time the nurse contacted the blotted out presumably MD would have been a useful time entry to be included.

Keli added Tegan to her Medicare membership at Auburn Hospital, it was said. Did she ever remove her from her Medicare membership? If so when? Why would she do that if she intended to walk to the foyer and hand her new born baby girl over to the bio father?

So many questions.

Lane v R [2013] NSWCCA 317 (13 December 2013)
EXPOSED: The Case Of Keli Lane

Yes, strange that Tegan would be added to Keli’s Medicare card if she intended to either kill her or hand her over to someone else but, then again, so much of this case doesn’t make sense.

Just a thought. I would’ve expected Keli’s (and Tegan’s?) obs; eg BP, pulse, temp, to be charted before she/they left the hospital. I wonder where those charts are? And as far as Tegan’s DNA sample goes, where is her Guthrie Test card?

Anyway, Andrew Morris/Norris, or what ever his name is (or isn’t), and his existence (or not) may not remain a mystery forever, according to the SMH:

‘Lane has always said she did not kill her baby, claiming she gave her to a man named either "Andrew Morris" or "Andrew Norris". Sources close to the show have suggested to Fairfax Media that the existence or otherwise of this person could soon be revealed.’

ABC's Exposed: Former prosecutor apologises over Keli Lane comments

Last edited:
Yes I wonder as well Bo.
Regardless of what time Keli left the hospital the Guthrie Test should have been done before discharge of a new born baby. You would think.

DNA tests have shown he is not the father of the first child; Tegan's father is unknown as she did not undergo a blood test before leaving Auburn Hospital.

Nocookies
Couple deny 'arrangement' with Keli Lane

Last edited:
Yes I wonder as well Bo.
Regardless of what time Keli left the hospital the Guthrie Test should have been done before discharge of a new born baby. You would think.

I thought they were done quite soon after birth — certainly within 48 hours.

Thanks soso. Keli’s early departure from hospital may have ensured that it wasn’t done — or perhaps she refused it.

Or it was suggested that would need to be attended before discharge and maybe Keli did just pick up and leave earlier then is reported at 14:00hrs.
Do DMP services do heel pricks in the community?

Or it was suggested that would need to be attended before discharge and maybe Keli did just pick up and leave earlier then is reported at 14:00hrs.
Do DMP services do heel pricks in the community?

You may be right about the former. As for the latter, I don’t know. My children’s were done at the hospital but I suppose if a mother had a home birth, the baby’s Guthrie Test would have to be done by an outpatient service.

When police finally questioned Lane years after the birth of Tegan, she told authorities she’d given her daughter to her natural father, a man named Andrew Norris, with whom she had a brief affair.

She said after telling him she was pregnant he agreed, along with his girlfriend and mother, to take the baby. Keli’s version of events surrounding the birth of Tegan has changed over time but she says Tegan’s father, Andrew, came to the hospital and took custody of the baby in the foyer on September 14.

Why did she tell this Andrew bloke she was pregant but not tell the guy she was in a long term intimate relationship with?

The Keli Lane tapes: From prison, a murderer breaks her silence

You may be right about the former. As for the latter, I don’t know. My children’s were done at the hospital but I suppose if a mother had a home birth, the baby’s Guthrie Test would have to be done by an outpatient service.

Don't know what the policy was in 1996, similar I suspect.

1. The hospital of birth is responsible for collection of all newborn screening samples 2. Timing of sample collection  Recommended time is when the baby is 48 – 72 hours old. If the baby is discharged before 48 hours old, the test must be carried out before the baby leaves the hospital unless the hospital of birth has a fail-safe community midwifery program. The repeat sample may be collected in the community after 48 hours of age.  When blood is collected before 24 hours, it is expected the hospital will automatically send another sample collected as soon as possible after 48 hours of age

https://www.schn.health.nsw.gov.au/files/attachments/newborn_screening_guidlines_2015.pdf

Don't know what the policy was in 1996, similar I suspect.

1. The hospital of birth is responsible for collection of all newborn screening samples 2. Timing of sample collection  Recommended time is when the baby is 48 – 72 hours old. If the baby is discharged before 48 hours old, the test must be carried out before the baby leaves the hospital unless the hospital of birth has a fail-safe community midwifery program. The repeat sample may be collected in the community after 48 hours of age.  When blood is collected before 24 hours, it is expected the hospital will automatically send another sample collected as soon as possible after 48 hours of age

https://www.schn.health.nsw.gov.au/files/attachments/newborn_screening_guidlines_2015.pdf

So the Guthrie Test should have been done before Keli and Tegan were discharged. If, of course, normal discharge procedures were followed.

Yes, strange that Tegan would be added to Keli’s Medicare card if she intended to either kill her or hand her over to someone else but, then again, so much of this case doesn’t make sense.

Just a thought. I would’ve expected Keli’s (and Tegan’s?) obs; eg BP, pulse, temp, to be charted before she/they left the hospital. I wonder where those charts are? And as far as Tegan’s DNA sample goes, where is her Guthrie Test card?

Anyway, Andrew Morris/Norris, or what ever his name is (or isn’t), and his existence (or not) may not remain a mystery forever, according to the SMH:

‘Lane has always said she did not kill her baby, claiming she gave her to a man named either "Andrew Morris" or "Andrew Norris". Sources close to the show have suggested to Fairfax Media that the existence or otherwise of this person could soon be revealed.’

ABC's Exposed: Former prosecutor apologises over Keli Lane comments
The ward clerk was waiting next to the bed for Keli to complete the Medicare form and Keli wanted her gone so she quickly filled it in while the clerk was watching.

When police finally questioned Lane years after the birth of Tegan, she told authorities she’d given her daughter to her natural father, a man named Andrew Norris, with whom she had a brief affair.

She said after telling him she was pregnant he agreed, along with his girlfriend and mother, to take the baby. Keli’s version of events surrounding the birth of Tegan has changed over time but she says Tegan’s father, Andrew, came to the hospital and took custody of the baby in the foyer on September 14.

Why did she tell this Andrew bloke she was pregant but not tell the guy she was in a long term intimate relationship with?

The Keli Lane tapes: From prison, a murderer breaks her silence
And, if 'Andrew' and 'Mel' and his mother meant to take custody of the baby, why didn't the new family go to the ward to see her, at least just before discharge? That seems a more human behaviour, helping the new mother to pack and leave hospital. Finding out if baby needs anything from the hospital. After all, they would have to take responsibility from that point on. Keli shouldn't have minded their visit, after all there wasn't anyone in the ward who knew her.

Meeting at the foyer seems so cold and business-like. Just like a transaction. Might as well hand over at the car park...

The ward clerk was waiting next to the bed for Keli to complete the Medicare form and Keli wanted her gone so she quickly filled it in while the clerk was watching.

Was it Medibank Private membership? (as in private health cover) that she added her to.
Do you add your child to your medicare card at the hospital? I thought you had to produce documents to do that?

And, if 'Andrew' and 'Mel' and his mother meant to take custody of the baby, why didn't the new family go to the ward to see her, at least just before discharge? That seems a more human behaviour, helping the new mother to pack and leave hospital. Finding out if baby needs anything from the hospital. After all, they would have to take responsibility from that point on. Keli shouldn't have minded their visit, after all there wasn't anyone in the ward who knew her.

Meeting at the foyer seems so cold and business-like. Just like a transaction. Might as well hand over at the car park...

I have often wondered how the capsule was made available. Did Keli take the capsule with her before being induced? Was Tegan in clothes that Keli took to the hospital?
Exposed gave the impression that Andrew was at the bed and carried the capsule down the corridore to the lift (replay) but I am not sure that is how Keli said things occurred.

I have a background as a social worker and as DOCS worker, now retired. Just taking away for a moment the issues of Tegan etc. we are left with an intelligent woman who has had 5 pregnancies. So she knew how it happened and the results of what happened. She has 2 terminations early in her career. She knew what to do. Then she indulges in high risk behaviour by carrying to full term, which no-one apparently notices. (ahem)
Why did she not opt for contraception or termination as a sensible person with career aspirations might do?
I can't get my head around why she chose to risk exposure and her career ending over other more protective means. 5 pregnancies astounds me, it's not like contraception was unavailable. I heard her say she compartmentalizes incidents in her life, I imagine that is common among elite athletes, helping them to focus fully on what they are doing. That's where baby Tegan is. She shows an amazing
proclivity for denial which clearly runs in the family. She actually believes what she says is true. She isn't lying in a pathological way she has just put it in the compartment and left it there. It seems that is the way she coped, it's like a kind of disassociation she may or may not have a memory of.
The denial helps her to disassociate.
I have a feeling she does not know what she did with Tegan, it's locked away with other stuff. But she does believe her own lies because they are protection for her psychological frailty. I would have been just as concerned as the other SW, especially as she went on to have more child/ren. I don't judge her to be risky towards her other child/ren because it's overt and everyone knows about it. The timing was right.
The other children were not in the right place at the right time, so they were shrouded in a secrecy aided and abetted by insane levels of denial. Her first thought during her exposure was how her parents would react, not for the babies and not for Tegan. I don't know what is wrong with her other than these observations. Sorry it's so long.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mascaraguns
Back