Found Alive Australia - Terence Darrell Kelly, charged w/ abduction, 4 y.o. victim found alive, WA ,16 Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And 20 years in prison, isn't going to fix this. I hope that there is a longer sentence or alternative. All he will be is more dangerous, as he will spend his time figuring out how not to get caught next time. There isn't enough meds or mental health care treatment to fix this.

One thing that those who may sympathetic to this character seem to be missing is that he witnessed the suffering of the little girl and despite that, he refused to release her.

And we know she was distressed. We know a neighbor heard her crying. We know that any four year old would be terrified and despondent to be ripped from her parents and held prisoner by a stranger, even if he didn’t otherwise abuse her.

Despite this, despite the fact that the little girl acted like no fake doll would, he held onto her and deprived her of safety and security. He looked in her eyes, saw her despair, heard her anguish and kept her anyway.

That was the last we heard about the bike if I recall correctly. I’ve suspected the possibility exists it may have also been missing along with the sleeping bag.

As far as the doll play.: It’s possible he could have been living vicariously through his dolls as a way to cope with issues in his life he has no control over. Perhaps he ran through pretend scenarios with the dolls as a way to solve his problems and release stress. Maybe he used them to work through sadness or loneliness. He seems to have kind of refused to interact with the real world. Maybe he preferred his made-up world instead. What drove that decision probably wasn’t really due to the dolls but some other deeper issues. I’ve read of those who lose a daughter or sister involved in such obsessions. imo

Well, this will expose my secret life of pandemic TV watching but I keep thinking about some Hoarders episodes I've watched. Not sure if non US peeps are familiar with this. I remember one hoarder who collected thousands of dolls (she said she had 100) and had a fractured relationship with her daughter. The psychologist involved saw that daughter-mother break precipitating her escape into dolls. Obviously not the same here. But I hope it's at least similar and was based on a desire for family/children as opposed to something else.

The FB posts may be the accused documenting his fantasy.

The dolls may not have been bought for him, they may have been purchased, in advance, for his 'real life' daughter, when she 'arrived', as part of his living fantasy.

So I disagree, for the time being, that this was a "psychosexual fetish", or "paraphilia", as normally those types of dolls are human size women.

There's certainly not enough info for a 'diagnosis' on the accused mental health and 'labels' are not helpful imo.

I also think, like others have said, that gender identity issues may be at play here too.

ETD to remove FB info (FB has now been taken down)

JMO MOO

Last edited:
Agree completely that he has caused harm and pain to so many.
However, understanding that the accused is human and to try understand how he got to the point that he is isn't a horrible thing, IMO. There is a spectrum of evil rather than a binary good vs. evil (again IMO). Where he lands in the spectrum will be based on evidence of what his crimes were and the motivations for doing them. Understanding why people go bad isn't the same as excusing their actions.
I agree with this, but can never find the words which you have so succinctly used to describe it.

I don't believe in black/white or bad/good or mad/sane.

We are all different. We are all conditioned by our culture, society, the company we keep, what we read and watch etc etc. Everything is on a spectrum. Those with severe mental health conditions or personality disorders don't often function in line with social norms, and if they have been subject to trauma or similar at an early age, then this directly influences who they become as adults. It is a sobering thought for parents in terms of the responsibility one has in raising a child, at least, that's my opinion.

That's not to say that this character has not carried out an act that has traumatised so many lives, nor that there aren't lessons to be learned or punishments/treatment to be given, but it's hard to say it's just because he's bad or mad, binary, divisive terminology I wish the police wouldn't use.

They’re always suddenly too mentally unstable to be prosecuted. AFTER they’re caught. Before that they’re sound enough to pull off a terrible crime, house a kidnapping victim in secret, and be able to hide his crime and his victim, despite a nation searching for her.

He wasn’t babbling in the streets, screaming and acting crazy before he was caught. He was able to shop, and be in public as he hid the child.

Now suddenly he’s so stark raving mad he can’t be interviewed.
Reached his breaking point maybe? Instability doesn't always appear as we might expect, but I see your point.

Well, this will expose my secret life of pandemic TV watching but I keep thinking about some Hoarders episodes I've watched. Not sure if non US peeps are familiar with this. I remember one hoarder who collected thousands of dolls (she said she had 100) and had a fractured relationship with her daughter. The psychologist involved saw that daughter-mother break precipitating her escape into dolls. Obviously not the same here. But I hope it's at least similar and was based on a desire for family/children as opposed to something else.

Yes, hoarding is usually connected to loss.

I don't know how it works in Australia, but I plan to do some personal digging when I have the time. Mentally ill or disturbed does not inherently mean legally insane in the US. In fact, it rarely does. The bar for being found legally insane is enormously high. I don't know what to make of this suspect...but...plenty of perps go nuts when they are caught. And most aren't insane...they are just mad, in distress of their own making, and some even purposefully act up. Time will tell what he is. But the calculation and the ability to hide a child and act normal in the neighbor's view pulls me in one direction.

I hope that the child and family has every resource available to deal with trauma of this event.

The garden was a mess.

But was the inside renovated as part of a Government capital works and job creation initiative?
Yeah I think there has been upgrades all the fencing for the properties also looks fairly new. They get hit with cyclones up there so maybe the properties have to undergo repairs/maintenance.

I noticed in the media pics there was a walking stick with four stabilising feet out on the back patio area...probably was Grandmas place initially and hes moved there <modsnip>.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what his long term intentions were? Was he going to keep her there at that house for years? Was he waiting until the publicity surrounding this case died down and then he would get rid of her? Its hard to say but the fact this went on for an extended period IMO indicates this was not impulsive it part of a bigger plan.

After more than 30 hours of interrogation by detectives, Terence Darrell Kelly was charged with various offences and will front Carnarvon Magistrate’s Court on Thursday afternoon.

All previous threads discussing this case have been pulled due to the victim's name being contained throughout.

Although MSM is still using the victim's name, it is Websleuths policy NOT to do so.

Members may link to MSM articles related to the case, and the accused's name may be used but the victim's name may NOT be. If you quote anything from MSM, please ensure this minor child's name is changed to initials only.

It pays to read the MOD's notes.
<modsnip>

We will give this child her privacy, she is a victim and should not be subject to public evasion, she has gone through enough.

thank you mods for your work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how it works in Australia, but I plan to do some personal digging when I have the time. Mentally ill or disturbed does not inherently mean legally insane in the US. In fact, it rarely does. The bar for being found legally insane is enormously high. I don't know what to make of this suspect...but...plenty of perps go nuts when they are caught. And most aren't insane...they are just mad, in distress of their own making, and some even purposefully act up. Time will tell what he is. But the calculation and the ability to hide a child and act normal in the neighbor's view pulls me in one direction.

I hope that the child and family has every resource available to deal with trauma of this event.

Agree .... once they have him balanced out (if he needs aid in achieving that balance), everything proceeds as normal.

It is not that unusual for people to be placed on suicide watch, when they have been arrested for a terrible crime. Or to have psych evaluations prior to proceedings.

imo

Last edited:
It pays to read the MOD's notes. I am guilty of using a victim's name, and apologize. This is something we can easily rectify. And I promise to give myself a TO when frustrated and may not be able to post within the rules.

We will give this child her privacy, she is a victim and should not be subject to public evasion, she has gone through enough.

thank you mods for your work.

I saw CS on TV this morning (it is Friday morning here). Cameras on her as her mum carried her (while CS carried a big pink balloon). I think mum is going to want CS out of the limelight very soon ... CS looks like she is enjoying the camera! :)

imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member