Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From my understanding the phone was pinged within that 60deg segment on the mobile tower (depending on the area being covered multiple 60 deg segmental antennas can make up the entire tower) depending on the time it takes for his mobile ping to reach the tower determines the distance he was from the tower. So without another tower they would only have an arc of a set distance from the tower across the 60deg. If the phone is also located within the area covered by another antenna on a different tower the same method is used to determine an arc however these arcs would overlap at a point giving a specific location.

I am not sure if this has been raised but I have had a look on Instagram of photos posted on the 31st of May from Tallow beach. There are very little photos posted in general around that time with only one being at night. It's of a group of around 7 early 20s sitting on the beach around a fire. From what I can tell it's mostly tourists with perhaps a couple of local's. I'd be interested to know if they have been spoken to or could confirm the activities on the beach that night. I also find it interesting how that is the only photo... If there was a party I'd assume perhaps a few more would have been posted ?

My thought is ....

The telco ping area gives a 60 degree angle, which is probably pretty accurate. (Yes, I think it is only from one tower due to other towers being too far.

The GPS gives a whole other place for its last reading, and it is not within the 60 degree angle.

So, to me, it seems Theo walked/climbed up from the place of the last GPS reading (obviously after the last reading), and may have been on the eastern outer edge of the telco angle .. placing him very close to some wicked cliff drops. Some drops where the police have searched, and climbed down, as best they can.

60 degree angle - telco last ping zone
View attachment 218244

GPS last reading
View attachment 218245
Thanks for the explanation :)
Why do you think it pinged of the tower furthest from the lighthouse. From what I can see on a map of phone towers in the area there are two towers closer to the cliffs.
I don’t understand this.

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-1_8-33-41.jpeg
    upload_2019-12-1_8-33-41.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 30
I am not sure if this has been raised but I have had a look on Instagram of photos posted on the 31st of May from Tallow beach. There are very little photos posted in general around that time with only one being at night. It's of a group of around 7 early 20s sitting on the beach around a fire. From what I can tell it's mostly tourists with perhaps a couple of local's. I'd be interested to know if they have been spoken to or could confirm the activities on the beach that night. I also find it interesting how that is the only photo... If there was a party I'd assume perhaps a few more would have been posted ?

All photos posted on the lighthouse podcast Facebook group page under the post SM photos from may the 31st to June the 1st have been contacted by the administrator of the page as stated on the page. Whether these people have replied is another question.

Why do you think it pinged of the tower furthest from the lighthouse. From what I can see on a map of phone towers in the area there are two towers closer to the cliffs.
I don’t understand this.
Are you sure those are cell towers? Police mentioned only the tower nearby Milne track and the 60 degree angle from that tower to the lighthouse and West (from the lighthouse).

I don’t understand this.

I am not sure where your map came from, or what the marked points are?

But when I look at the RFNSA map, it looks to me that there are four towers servicing that area. One Optus/Telstra tower by the lighthouse, and three other towers dotted around town.

zz.JPG

zz.JPG

Here is the official info:
RFNSA

Last edited:
Have they released exactly the position of the hat yet?
It was along the beach track that goes from the fire trail to Tallow beach. Think it was stated that it was near Tommy’s camp, where Theo’s phone showed a path adjustment to back track out of the dead end and continue towards the beach.

.... the final ping still puts "his phone" in that 60 degree angle? Which is something we can pretty much count on?
Good point Jenz, if phone was in this 60 degree angle then phone did not go down the cliff if this angle is correct would put phone up on top near lighthouse. Would think if he fell the phone would have gone with him, at least part of the way and ping from lower down if trapped in the rocks.

Key points:
  • The Hayez family said the scenario presented to them was that Theo wandered up to the Cape Byron Lighthouse and fell into the ocean.
  • They reject that scenario because they believe Theo would not have roamed off alone
  • The family are appealing for fresh information about what happened after Theo left the Cheeky Monkeys bar on May 31.
Theo Hayez's family reject police theory that backpacker fell into ocean

I am not sure where your map came from, or what the marked points are?

But when I look at the RFNSA map, it looks to me that there are four towers servicing that area. One Optus/Telstra tower by the lighthouse, and three other towers dotted around town.

View attachment 218299

View attachment 218300

Here is the official info:
RFNSA

From what I can tell from Cellmapper there is only 1 tower that is directed in the lighthouse direction but that's hard to believe and the website is terrible to use.... but it would explain it.

I don’t understand this.
This pic is from the app called Aus phone towers

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-1_9-13-48.jpeg
    upload_2019-12-1_9-13-48.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 50DC9180-11BD-4E30-BFA6-063247F36A87.jpeg
    50DC9180-11BD-4E30-BFA6-063247F36A87.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 41
It was along the beach track that goes from the fire trail to Tallow beach. Think it was stated that it was near Tommy’s camp, where Theo’s phone showed a path adjustment to back track out of the dead end and continue towards the beach.
Yes that's correct. The cap was found approx. 6 metres behind Tommy's camp, from where they doubled back

Attachments

• 84A4D927-B21E-4F51-81E3-8D4474EA146D.jpeg
    84A4D927-B21E-4F51-81E3-8D4474EA146D.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 92AB9133-E4A0-4193-8C10-79F5B16014D4.jpeg
    92AB9133-E4A0-4193-8C10-79F5B16014D4.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 5E70E055-1A74-4183-981C-5990F4D40A9F.jpeg
    5E70E055-1A74-4183-981C-5990F4D40A9F.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 31
This pic is from the app called Aus phone towers

When comparing to the official radio frequency site, it seems the green markers on your map are Optus/Telstra towers. I am not sure what service provider the purple marker is for? It may not be inclusive of Telstra services, seeing that it is so close to the Telstra tower.

It is stated among the WS etiquette to provide our links for data we post here - it helps others to see the source data. :)

Yes that's correct. The cap was found approx. 6 metres behind Tommy's camp, from where they doubled back

Wheres that from Certus? Can you provide a link to that release of info please, just to show it’s factual and not Chinese whispers? Otherwise it’s confusing. Where is “6 metres behind Tommy’s camp” in the scheme of things?

Just placing this one down here. What if Theo lost his cap whilst returning along the beach track to Milne.

We all take it that it dropped whilst he was heading for the beach. An alternative thought is that it dropped whilst trying to leave.
The podcast says that they found the hat when they were retracing his exact steps to CC. It was found a few metres behind Tommy's campsite where Theo doubled back and then headed to the beach. So was definitely on the way to CC, not the way out. I initially had thought this too until I found out they had exactly retraced his steps to CC when they found the ap.

From what I can tell from Cellmapper there is only 1 tower that is directed in the lighthouse direction but that's hard to believe and the website is terrible to use.... but it would explain it.

The Radio Frequency National Site Archive (RFNSA) site is usually better. imo
Just need a postcode then it gives you the map option (to see the towers) and the list option (to see which service providers use which towers, and the physical address of the towers).

RFNSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member