Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Towers and pings abound around Byron. There will be a good footprint and they’ll be looking at the closeness or speed of pings, and triangulations etc.

Attachments

• 2DFAD63A-25C9-47CC-B207-0C06F9D57AC9.jpeg
    2DFAD63A-25C9-47CC-B207-0C06F9D57AC9.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 13
Hi all, this content is made without judgement nor condemnation.

Just wanted to theorise the what’s app connection RE it is often used as a connecting tool for illicit drug purchases. I know little of Theo’s personality however young backpackers often party hard and perhaps this messaging was to meet to purchase. Byron Sandhills bush area are known transient camp area and also a place once renowned as being a hub of drug activity. This is in the direction down the end of Kingsley street. Maybe he purchased something that he then went onto the beach or perhaps lighthouse area to inbibe in and this was when he sent message via messenger where it was stated he was in a seemingly happy mood but became 1. Disorientated and fell 2. Was accompanied by another and an altercation occurred 3. sat on the beach and was buried by a collapsing sand dune as was mentioned on Looking for Theo today.
The fact the police are not releasing any information regarding the what app message details RE recipient as opposed incripted content, the timeline of pings or associated position over the evening, leaves the reason for his whatapp interaction open ended.
I’m hoping that 1 or 3 mores so than 2 may have been his fate.
I do so hope that Theo can be reunited with his family as the pain of never knowing where your child is is too distressing to contemplate

Hi all, this content is made without judgement nor condemnation.

Just wanted to theorise the what’s app connection RE it is often used as a connecting tool for illicit drug purchases. I know little of Theo’s personality however young backpackers often party hard and perhaps this messaging was to meet to purchase. Byron Sandhills bush area are known transient camp area and also a place once renowned as being a hub of drug activity. This is in the direction down the end of Kingsley street. Maybe he purchased something that he then went onto the beach or perhaps lighthouse area to inbibe in and this was when he sent message via messenger where it was stated he was in a seemingly happy mood but became 1. Disorientated and fell 2. Was accompanied by another and an altercation occurred 3. sat on the beach and was buried by a collapsing sand dune as was mentioned on Looking for Theo today.
The fact the police are not releasing any information regarding the what app message details RE recipient as opposed incripted content, the timeline of pings or associated position over the evening, leaves the reason for his whatapp interaction open ended.
I’m hoping that 1 or 3 mores so than 2 may have been his fate.
I do so hope that Theo can be reunited with his family as the pain of never knowing where your child is is too distressing to contemplate

BBM

WhatsApp is used by a lot of people, including professionals, for many reasons unrelated to drugs. Travellers use it because it is much cheaper than texting. I don't think any assumptions can be made based on the fact that a Belgian in Australia used WhatsApp to connect with people.

BBM

WhatsApp is used by a lot of people, including professionals, for many reasons unrelated to drugs. Travellers use it because it is much cheaper than texting. I don't think any assumptions can be made based on the fact that a Belgian in Australia used WhatsApp to connect with people.
Exactly. It’s the only app I use to text with my friends and family in Spain. If I used regular SMS texts I would be charged for every text and graphic sent from the US. Not only that but everyone I know in Spain uses it to communicate instead of using their phone texting/messaging app.

Exactly. It’s the only app I use to text with my friends and family in Spain. If I used regular SMS texts I would be charged for every text and graphic sent from the US. Not only that but everyone I know in Spain uses it to communicate instead of using their phone texting/messaging app.

Yup. International students rely on WhatsApp to stay in touch with friends and family. If a WhatsApp message is the key, then there might be someone that he met while travelling or at the hostel who has the answers.

Yup. International students rely on WhatsApp to stay in touch with friends and family. If a WhatsApp message is the key, then there might be someone that he met while travelling or at the hostel who has the answers.
Agree. I reckon he was on WhatsApp not (just) Google Maps when he left Cheeky Monkeys and turned left instead of right, and waited outside Aloha Villas. Meeting up with someone he met during his travels, or even earlier that night at the bbq at the hostel. He may have run up Shirley Street to catch up with them too, if that was him seen. They may have a camper van too, like a Wicked Camper if a tourist.

Last edited:
Yes agree Whatsapp is the go to tool for lots of other reasons but appears extremely relative to his disappearance. His use of it and perhaps connection to his last whereabouts seems to be a key, however the person(s), family or friends or befriended travellers, the recipients of messages, have not come willingly forward to identify themselves is of interest. The fact he used messenger to text a Belgium friend at 12.20 am from an undisclosed position in a happy frame of mind and the whatsapp connection and timeline not being disclosed is something the authorities have chosen to keep secreted fuels the speculation made.
I’m not saying it’s always used for drug interaction or this be the case, but it would definately be a consideration in light of the backpacker lifestyle synonymous with this area.

Makes you wonder if he was heading to someone’s place or location when he left Cheeky Monkey’s, and couldn’t find them so headed back to his hostel and they then caught up with him along the way. I don’t think him heading up Kingsley & Tennyson was random or a mistake. It’s also in the direction of the Cape more so than his hostel.

Attachments

• 6D6AF172-1320-4733-97B6-D0F21D4A3025.jpeg
    6D6AF172-1320-4733-97B6-D0F21D4A3025.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 9
Interestingly the CCTV footage of outside Aloha apartments has not been released. Nor has the running on Shirley street been confirmed however it could suggest he was trying to connect to someone and they were now back in town hence his running to meet up with them. Nothing has been mentioned of his messenger post to Belgium friend in regard to its full content ie does he say things other than what’s being reported. The investigating authorities has shut down any further information being released so I suspect they are doing a lot of backgrounding on the data information provided to pinpoint persons of interest. If they have recipient data details they can await further logins by said person to establish their relationship to Theo’s disappearance. Byron Bay is the second largest Cocaine hotspot outside of Bondi and also huge amounts of Ketamine, ecstasy and other like minded substances. This case may have links to larger cases of illicit drug dealing in the area and therefore they are unwilling to give information that may jeapordise this.

Interestingly the CCTV footage of outside Aloha apartments has not been released. Nor has the running on Shirley street been confirmed however it could suggest he was trying to connect to someone and they were now back in town hence his running to meet up with them. Nothing has been mentioned of his messenger post to Belgium friend in regard to its full content ie does he say things other than what’s being reported. The investigating authorities has shut down any further information being released so I suspect they are doing a lot of backgrounding on the data information provided to pinpoint persons of interest. If they have recipient data details they can await further logins by said person to establish their relationship to Theo’s disappearance. Byron Bay is the second largest Cocaine hotspot outside of Bondi and also huge amounts of Ketamine, ecstasy and other like minded substances. This case may have links to larger cases of illicit drug dealing in the area and therefore they are unwilling to give information that may jeapordise this.

I think that, by now, the police have multiple CCTV recordings of Theo and/or whatever else they are focusing on.

I like to think that they have some good leads in this case. I doubt we will hear much more about it, if they do. Unless they need further assistance from the public, of course.

I agree about the message to his mate in Belgium - done over messenger. Seems Theo flipped between a couple of sources of messaging capability. Perhaps depending on which method the recipient used?
I also agree that while we know that Theo spoke with this friend about bands, we don't know what else was spoken of, or inferred, in his late night message. Or if the message was in Theo's usual style of writing, or if the style differed from the usual.

“They said they would assess whether to continue the physical search on Monday, however, that did not stop volunteers from rallying together on Sunday.

Local volunteers were set to gather at 9am at a sports field in Byron Bay to coordinate search efforts.

“We can’t stress enough that we need more community volunteers,” Sheri S’Rosario wrote on the Facebook group “Looking for Theo Hayez”.

The callout came after Theo’s father Laurent Hayez reached out to thank Byron Bay locals.

“Your warmness and kindness is like a balm on our bleedin’ heart,” Hayez posted to a group for the Byron Bay community on Friday night.

“You give us force and faith. We love u from the earth to the moon (What Theo told me one evening in his bed at age of five) ... “

Theo Hayez: Byron Bay locals rally after search called off for missing Belgian backpacker

I’m so glad the locals of Byron are still trying to help.

“They said they would assess whether to continue the physical search on Monday, however, that did not stop volunteers from rallying together on Sunday.

Local volunteers were set to gather at 9am at a sports field in Byron Bay to coordinate search efforts.

“We can’t stress enough that we need more community volunteers,” Sheri S’Rosario wrote on the Facebook group “Looking for Theo Hayez”.

The callout came after Theo’s father Laurent Hayez reached out to thank Byron Bay locals.

“Your warmness and kindness is like a balm on our bleedin’ heart,” Hayez posted to a group for the Byron Bay community on Friday night.

“You give us force and faith. We love u from the earth to the moon (What Theo told me one evening in his bed at age of five) ... “

Theo Hayez: Byron Bay locals rally after search called off for missing Belgian backpacker

I’m so glad the locals of Byron are still trying to help.

I am so glad that the locals efforts are continuing, as well. There is still a chance that they will find something relevant to Theo's disappearance.

It is often locals who are out walking who stumble on things relevant to a missing person. Sometimes it can be many years later that this happens, but with focused and continuing searches, hopefully it will be much sooner than that for Theo and his family.

I am so glad that the locals efforts are continuing, as well. There is still a chance that they will find something relevant to Theo's disappearance.

It is often locals who are out walking who stumble on things relevant to a missing person. Sometimes it can be many years later that this happens, but with focused and continuing searches, hopefully it will be much sooner than that for Theo and his family.

There is a chance of course, and the place needs to be searched. I personally doubt they’ll find anything though, as time’s been lost and the phone is so small in such a vast space. Dogs would’ve picked up anything close to the beach surely. Hope I’m proven wrong, and soon.

Ok so I'm new to this page discussion what have you but I think I have managed to read every post here so far because I have theory and wanted to make sure it hadn't been discussed or bought up yet. So again this is just a theory, mine so here goes.

IMO I've read a couple of people mentioning and questioning what was the reason for Theo being kicked out of CM finding it bizarre and also knowing the fact that theo himself had no issues with that and went on his way. So I've been curious and as we are all aware to enter a bar in Australia by law you can only do so if you're 18 and over and must have ID on you to prove that. Theo being born overseas, to my knowledge the only form of ID accepted to prove that for Theo would be his passport.

Now I've never been to CM before but I gather by the sounds of CM it possibly is one of those bars that require you to present your ID at the door before being let inside, or perhaps not. Perhaps they do check IDs before entry and Theo somehow ended up not having to show his before going in. Either way Theo is in CM and he's gone to buy a drink and been asked for ID or staff there have just approached him sometime inside and asked to check his and Theo hasn't had any on him, thus being asked to leave. Would also make sense Theo happily obliging in doing so as that's the reason.

I watched the surveillance footage of Theo purchasing alcohol for a bottle shop eariler on in the night to take to a BBQ, supposedly back at the backpackers he was staying at or I've also heard conflicting reports where the BBQ was exactly. Either way personally I couldn't tell from that video whether he had ID on him then to purchase the alcohol at that time or he wasn't asked for ID at the bottle shop therefore he may not have had ID on him then too. Which isn't uncommon to not be asked for ID at a bottle shop.

I know its confirmed all of his belongings including Theos passport were found in his room so this is the basis behind the reasoning of my theory in the first place. This theory alone, hypothetically speaking is true, leads me to speculate more possibilities of what's happened to Theo but like I said this is just a theory in my opinion only, I could be wrong just trying to help in any way I can.

Ok so I'm new to this page discussion what have you but I think I have managed to read every post here so far because I have theory and wanted to make sure it hadn't been discussed or bought up yet. So again this is just a theory, mine so here goes.

IMO I've read a couple of people mentioning and questioning what was the reason for Theo being kicked out of CM finding it bizarre and also knowing the fact that theo himself had no issues with that and went on his way. So I've been curious and as we are all aware to enter a bar in Australia by law you can only do so if you're 18 and over and must have ID on you to prove that. Theo being born overseas, to my knowledge the only form of ID accepted to prove that for Theo would be his passport.

Now I've never been to CM before but I gather by the sounds of CM it possibly is one of those bars that require you to present your ID at the door before being let inside, or perhaps not. Perhaps they do check IDs before entry and Theo somehow ended up not having to show his before going in. Either way Theo is in CM and he's gone to buy a drink and been asked for ID or staff there have just approached him sometime inside and asked to check his and Theo hasn't had any on him, thus being asked to leave. Would also make sense Theo happily obliging in doing so as that's the reason.

I watched the surveillance footage of Theo purchasing alcohol for a bottle shop eariler on in the night to take to a BBQ, supposedly back at the backpackers he was staying at or I've also heard conflicting reports where the BBQ was exactly. Either way personally I couldn't tell from that video whether he had ID on him then to purchase the alcohol at that time or he wasn't asked for ID at the bottle shop therefore he may not have had ID on him then too. Which isn't uncommon to not be asked for ID at a bottle shop.

I know its confirmed all of his belongings including Theos passport were found in his room so this is the basis behind the reasoning of my theory in the first place. This theory alone, hypothetically speaking is true, leads me to speculate more possibilities of what's happened to Theo but like I said this is just a theory in my opinion only, I could be wrong just trying to help in any way I can.
Welcome Kungfu. I think he used his international drivers license as ID. There’s footage of him entering CMs with something in hand (wallet, phone etc). All reports say his passport did stay in his room, and he was asked to leave the bar because he was intoxicated. He was probably being rowdy and annoying, rather than blind drunk as he seems to walk ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper