Australia Australia - Two Female Backpackers attacked at Salt Creek, SA, 9 Feb 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Apologies if this has already been discussed - but what are people's thoughts on him pleading not guilty?

What kind of defence could his lawyers possibly present?

Ridiculous.

They women were trying to rob him, they attacked him first, another man assaulted them and he got caught up in the melee, some parts of the assault were accidental, his foot slipped off the brake pedal, some other ludicrous explanation

Ah, okay - so it begins....trying to create doubt re the victim's account of events - :facepalm:

"Bill Boucaut, SC, for the #SaltCreek accused, urges jurors to heed Justice Kelly's words and "keep an open mind".

"The issue in this trial will be about whether or not things happened in the way they (the women) say they happened."

http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...t/news-story/e3abb14f1650cdcc415c867868e83b01

I'm going to be doing this - :facepalm: - alot during this trial, I can tell already.

[FONT=&quot]Bill Boucaut SC, for the accused, urged the jury to heed Justice Kelly's words and "keep an open mind".[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"You've just heard Mr Pearce, on behalf of the DPP, outline a very graphic, very confronting scenario to you," he said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"You will understand this, members of the jury: sometimes things are not always what they appear to be.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The issue in this trial will be about whether or not things happened in the way they (the women) say they happened."

http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...t/news-story/e3abb14f1650cdcc415c867868e83b01[/FONT]

Sean Fewster‏Verified account @SeanFewster [video=twitter;839651339604910081]https://twitter.com/SeanFewster/status/839651339604910081[/video]More

DPP opens trial. 2 women, one German, one Brazillian, accepted ride to Melbourne with #SaltCreek accused via @Gumtree advert.
Yeah, but they found the belongings of victims in Milat's house (walllcavities) and in possession of family members (said provided to them by Ivan). The family had a connection to Belanglo. I still am curious about SC attacker's alibi for Falconio incident. The evidence seems a bit dubious in that case.

Charming how he told the Brazilian girl to "eat sand". How terrifying. An absolute horror movie. I wonder if they ever retrieved the German girl's mobile phone- the one she ran back to the car to find. Interesting forensics that they matched the brazilian girl's saliva on her bikini bottoms that were shoved in her mouth and traced the saliva on her breast to the accused. Those poor girls!!! I read the hearing will go for 2 weeks.

Holy crap.. This is horrifying, why the suppression, the theories about earlier crimes and connection with other high-profile cases..... Scary stuff...

Can the public attend the trial?

What a shocking story this is. It's incredible both these young women survived when it's patently obvious that it was his intention to dispose of both of them.

I've been trying to find reasons for the secrecy surrounding this trial, particularly the fact that the defendant's name has still not been mentioned despite the trial having commenced. I've now learned that when it comes to sexual assault trials, it’s not uncommon for a defendant to have his name suppressed.

In Queensland, the Crimes (Sexual Offences) Act 1978 protects those charged with a sexual offence from having their details published until they are committed for trial or sentence; in other words, until their cases get past the local court stage and are referred to a higher court for trial or they are found guilty. It is an offence, punishable by a fine of up to $11,780 or two years imprisonment, for anyone to publish their name, address, school, place of employment or other information that could lead to their identification.

Northern Territory and South Australian legislation similarly offers limited protections to defendants against premature publication of their identity in sexual assault trials.

Like South Australia, Victorian courts have been accused of fostering a suppression order culture. In order to reduce the high number of suppression orders, Victoria has introduced new legislation that automatically suppresses information in particular matters such as sex offence cases.

In broad terms Australia enjoys an open court system which benefits from the principle that justice is not only done, but seen to be done by the public, usually via the media. This is where the dilemma for the courts comes into play. Journalists might say name suppression is a nightmare, that it’s in the public’s interest for an accused to be named and shamed. However, for the accused, who is innocent until proven guilty, the publishing of their name could impact their right to a fair trial by an impartial jury.

The courts have an obligation to protect the integrity of criminal trials by ensuring that other interests do not overshadow the defendant’s right to be tried by an impartial jury. However, the line between open justice and fair trial has been blurred by the advent of the internet. This is one of the reasons why it is mandatory that juries are routinely directed by judges to decide upon a case using only the evidence presented to them.

I think there is something more going on here besides the tension between open justice and the accused getting a fair trial. The suppression in this case is unusual, particularly in combination with journalist comments (we can't you suppressed matters and we can't tell you WHY these matters are suppressed). I suspect it relates to other more serious crimes in other jurisdictions.

I think there is something more going on here besides the tension between open justice and the accused getting a fair trial. The suppression in this case is unusual, particularly in combination with journalist comments (we can't you suppressed matters and we can't tell you WHY these matters are suppressed). I suspect it relates to other more serious crimes in other jurisdictions.

I agree. No way is this level of 'privacy' simply about getting a fair trial.

And no way was this a first offence for him.....at 59 years old, he would have been offending for years.

(I assume we'll find out after the trial about whether he already had a criminal record)

I also agree Anais. People don't suddenly exhibit this sort of behaviour for the first time when they're that age.

It's possible that other people have come forward and the police are now digging deep into his background over a very long period of time. It's easier for them to investigate if his name is suppressed. They will have to ascertain where he lived over the course of many years, where he worked, contact as many of his associates as they're able to find etc. etc. They may also suspect that he didn't always operate alone. The list of things to do will be very extensive. Other murders are possible, but even if he didn't go that far, it's highly likely that he raped other women.

He's obviously an extremely dangerous and violent man. It doesn't bother me at all that much information is being kept from the public. We don't need to know anything else at this stage other than the fact that he's now in custody and being held accountable for what he did to these two young backpackers.

I also agree Anais. People don't suddenly exhibit this sort of behaviour for the first time when they're that age.

It's possible that other people have come forward and the police are now digging deep into his background over a very long period of time. It's easier for them to investigate if his name is suppressed. They will have to ascertain where he lived over the course of many years, where he worked, contact as many of his associates as they're able to find etc. etc. They may also suspect that he didn't always operate alone. The list of things to do will be very extensive. Other murders are possible, but even if he didn't go that far, it's highly likely that he raped other women.

He's obviously an extremely dangerous and violent man. It doesn't bother me at all that much information is being kept from the public. We don't need to know anything else at this stage other than the fact that he's now in custody and being held accountable for what he did to these two young backpackers.

Beautifully said :peace:

Anais, from what we know of him so far, do you think he's a sociopath?

I've gone over the article in The Advertiser a second time. I simply can't imagine how the German girl dealt with the situation she was in.

After the Brazilian woman fled, the accused chased after the German and used the car to repeatedly mow her down from behind, using the bull bar of his four-wheel drive as a battering ram to knock her to the ground. She then realised it was futile to run away so she jumped onto the bonnet of the car and then climbed up on to its roof. He demanded she comes down but she refuses. She was now bleeding profusely from the earlier hammer blows to the head.

The vehicle got bogged in the sand, he needed his shovel but it was on the roof with the German but she refused to give it to him as it was another potential weapon. She finally agreed to give him the shovel when he agreed to throw away the hammer and knife and let her get back in the car, so long as her door stayed open. They discussed an ambulance. He offered her a Panadol but she refused. She said she didn’t want to die, she wanted to live.

No matter how much I try, I can't begin to imagine that scenario. And this was after she'd already been dealt devastating blows to the head with the hammer. This young woman should be awarded a medal for bravery.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back