Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, all actions have their consequences and can come back around when we least expect it. It's the energy we put out there that comes back full circle IMO. Because life is a circle/cycle.

My brother-in-law was a narcissist with undiagnosed BPD and bipolar (typical Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde), he did the wrong thing by me after two rooms were burnt in my house, by defrauding, assaulting, and harassing me in 2011, has held me up 7 years from selling my house as he was an unlicensed builder (unknown to the family until later) who could not offer Home Warranty Insurance, cut me out of his family, spread propaganda to everyone who knew me and him with his lies.

I wished karma on him in 2014, he suicided 2 weeks later by putting himself in front of a train. Now my sister blames me for it and has not spoken to me since.

I was so afraid of him that I told the students who share my house not to ever open the front door to him leaving his picture there so they would know what he looked like as I thought he might murder me I was so afraid of him. I suffered complex post traumatic stress disorder as a result.

I wonder what the jury is thinking now. Now that they are learning about his:

Fake ID scheme, netting them $30,000
His four DUIs
His highrange drunk dangerous driving conviction, endangering the public and his passengers
His violently kicking a police officer

On top of all the seedy, grubby recording behaviour and denigration of women on the bodybuilding forum.

Such a travesty that background and patterns of behaviour cannot be introduced in trials.

I hope the Jurors are feeling some guilt that Justice was not served....I wouldn't be surprised if GT is back on Tinder already....I read somewhere that he moved out of that high-rise unit not long after this terrible tragedy happened.... also, he kept pouring his "home brew" into W, knowing that he was doing the wrong thing by her (as she normally only drank beer)..... He did not have any "home brew" himself that night (only beer)....That speaks for itself....Goodness knows what he put into it....Actions speak louder than words....COWARD !!!...MOO...:maddening:

"A court spokesperson on Friday said Justice Byrne wouldn't take further action against the juror, but it remains unclear whether the Jury Commissioner will investigate the matter next week"

http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...r/news-story/cd6468837c4985cb8e8301dc50513cc3

I wonder if this person will face any consequences. Probably not though, as the judge just said the behaviour was 'disappointing' and it did not cause a mistrial.

If found guilty a juror can face two years in jail.
(From your link)

Oh! My! God!!!!

Jest? yeah, sure.
Does anyone here know how much of the court transcripts etc members of the public can access?How is the media privy to evidence that was left out of the prosecution brief (like the image of the chalk outline of the body on Tostees phone)? I'd like to find out what else was excluded, why key evidence was excluded/disregarded by the prosecution and why Justice Byrne gave the very strange directions to the jury that he did.

Given that the trial was a whitewash, I am concerned that the inquest will be too (presuming there is an inquest).

Does anyone here know how much of the court transcripts etc members of the public can access?How is the media privy to evidence that was left out of the prosecution brief (like the image of the chalk outline of the body on Tostees phone)? I'd like to find out what else was excluded, why key evidence was excluded/disregarded by the prosecution and why Justice Byrne gave the very strange directions to the jury that he did.

Given that the trial was a whitewash, I am concerned that the inquest will be too (presuming there is an inquest).

I believe that court transcripts are very expensive.

Rip Warriena. Karma will get him. I'm sure of it. He will brag himself into a spot at the very least.

My fantasy? Someone falsely befriends him, gets him drunk, has him spill the beans, all while secretly recording him on his phone......

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't that be the ultimate revenge and justice at the same time?! :please:

My brother-in-law was a narcissist with undiagnosed BPD and bipolar (typical Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde), he did the wrong thing by me after two rooms were burnt in my house, by defrauding, assaulting, and harassing me in 2011, has held me up 7 years from selling my house as he was an unlicensed builder (unknown to the family until later) who could not offer Home Warranty Insurance, cut me out of his family, spread propaganda to everyone who knew me and him with his lies.

I wished karma on him in 2014, he suicided 2 weeks later by putting himself in front of a train. Now my sister blames me for it and has not spoken to me since.

I was so afraid of him that I told the students who share my house not to ever open the front door to him leaving his picture there so they would know what he looked like as I thought he might murder me I was so afraid of him. I suffered complex post traumatic stress disorder as a result.

I'm very sorry to hear what you went through Estelle. Unfortunately mental illness is a very different experience for every sufferer. I'm diagnosed with Bipolar II and have never been a danger to anyone else. As a society we are far more aware of mental illness but IMO the media don't always help by bringing it up nearly everytime a heinous crime is committed. A family member should never feel responsible for suicide. For some of us the world is so black we can't see a way out.

Wouldn't that be the ultimate revenge and justice at the same time?! :please:
Didn't some guy befriend Joran Vandersloot and record him practically boasting about killing Natalie Holloway?[emoji4]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I can certainly see why the charge was murder .... given all we now know. That chalk outline would have gone a long way to assisting the jury in a murder verdict imo. Could have aided in the 'intent' element.

I think I will forever be at a loss as to WHY almost all the evidence was excluded, other than a 6min portion of the 199min recording and the witness testimony!!
Tostee is a sick individual without a doubt and the police got it right this time but the courts didn't. He'll be in the news again but I'm just hoping not for another 'accident' which apparently, in his own words, 'always happens to ME!'. JMO

Mr Dore said Tostee’s blank exterior was partly because “his life was under a microscope. Every time he posted something on Facebook he was criticised.”
WTF???!!!! Who posts on fb and social media while on charges for murder/manslaughter? Who posts on social media after the death of their date under dubious circumstances? Tostee went straight into self-preservation mode, not a drop of sympathy or compassion for Warriena's mother and family! His lawyer must be laughing all the way to the bank for saying such crap! :mad: JMO

When my son was in Year 11 he said something briefly about going to the Gold Coast for schoolies. Knowing the kinds of things that happened (and knowing that all my son wanted to do was have a few drinks with friends - and he would have been 18.5yrs by the time he went, so totally legal) I told him that if I got a whiff of any plans to go to the GC I would deliberately sabotage any plans. I then told him that if he wanted to have fun with his mates I would help him financially if they chose a quieter place and went camping/fishing etc. He was happy with that. I was thrilled - I couldn't bear the thought of him being at Surfers for schoolies.

In the end he and his friends decided to go to Vanuatu for their schoolies - to help rebuild after the cyclone. So proud of him.

Oh wow fruity. what a wonderful young man your son is. And i'm sure you are very proud of him. That is just awesome.

OMG Estelle that is just terrible what you have been through. I will keep you in my Prayers :grouphug:

New member here......hello all!

AUSTLII is my preferred site for access to court transcripts Natalie. You won't find the Tostee trial because he was found not guilty.

For future reference, where a defendant is found guilty, you'll be able to locate the case, including application/s for the suppression of evidence, eg Brett Cowan.

WTF???!!!! Who posts on fb and social media while on charges for murder/manslaughter? Who posts on social media after the death of their date under dubious circumstances? Tostee went straight into self-preservation mode, not a drop of sympathy or compassion for Warriena's mother and family! His lawyer must be laughing all the way to the bank for saying such crap! :mad: JMO

That is exactly what a Psychopath does because they don't have a conscience. They are devoid of a soul.

I dunno. I think, that Tostee's mental conditions should have been addressed by the prosecution. They had already been raised in his bail hearing. Because they could well have been relevant as to why he imprisoned Warriena, why he terrified her and drove her to her death (my opinion). And maybe it could have changed things. At least to have him locked away for a period of time to receive some mental health treatment. Away from the 'lifestyle' and the enabling parents (again, in my opinion).

SA....Surely he is presently being treated for his mental illness, including cognitive therapy, medication, supervision etc. as I feel that this information should have been presented at trial...It's as though the Judge put words virtually into the mouths of the jurors throughout his instructions & their hands were tied (because of this)...Why have a jury then if this is the case ??...MOO.

New member here......hello all!

AUSTLII is my preferred site for access to court transcripts Natalie. You won't find the Tostee trial because he was found not guilty.

For future reference, where a defendant is found guilty, you'll be able to locate the case, including application/s for the suppression of evidence, eg Brett Cowan.

:wagon:

'On Thursday, Gold Coast man xxxxxx was found not guilty of the murder of a woman, Warriena Wright, who fell to her death from his unit's balcony. The case raises questions about how common death by falling is — and how many such incidents are homicides.

Cases of homicide by falling are rare.'

'Australian Bureau of Statistics data shows, for 2015, only 28 — or 1 per cent — of fall-related deaths involved falling from a building or a structure.

Data from the Australian Institute of Criminology's national homicide-monitoring program shows between 2008 and 2010 there were no recorded homicides as a result of being "pushed from a high place".

Between 2010 and 2012, the program recorded five (or 1 per cent of) victims of homicide died as the result of being pushed from a high place.'

'Falling deaths and murder

The xxxxxx case is not the first instance of a fall from a building causing death being linked to criminal conduct.

In 2001, while a senior detective at Surfers Paradise, I led an investigation into someone who had lured a young woman into his 12th-floor unit. After being assaulted the woman tried to escape and fell 12 floors, miraculously surviving the fall. Her assailant was charged with deprivation of liberty and grievous bodily harm.'

'In 2013, New South Wales man Simon Gittany was charged with and convicted of the murder of his girlfriend, Lisa Harnum, who he killed in 2011 by throwing her off a 15th-floor balcony in a fit of rage.'

'Australian legal precedents

Queensland police based their case against xxxxxx on a 1991 High Court case, Royall v R.'

'Investigative challenges

One major challenge in cases of death by falling are that, in many instances, the only person left to provide a version of the deceased’s last moments is the suspect. The cases often become circumstantial with little direct evidence, and rely on careful crime reconstruction.

In such cases, crime scene examination becomes crucial, as does the collation of information from third-party witnesses. The xxxxxx case also highlighted the increased role technology-based evidence will play.

In this case, it seems justice* has prevailed.'

Source: 'xxxxxx trial: How common is death by falling?' OPINION

Terry Goldsworthy is an Assistant Professor in Criminology at Bond University and a former Surfers Paradise senior detective.

*I can only assume that this is thinly veiled sarcasm by AP Goldsworthy.

xxxxxx = That Which Shall Not Be Named (by me anyway). Clever; not?

Victim-blaming (Victorian Law):

'The ramifications of victim-blaming were shown in the trial of Luke Middendorp.

Middendorp was convicted in May 2010 of the defensive homicide of his estranged girlfriend, Jade Bownds. While Middendorp is the only male intimate homicide offender to successfully raise defensive homicide to date, the case provides a clear warning that victim-blaming narratives continue to stain our courts.

On September 1, 2008, Middendorp killed Bownds by stabbing her four times in the back. At trial Middendorp did not contest that he had fatally stabbed Bownds. Rather, the trial was centred on whether he did so in self-defence and whether his perception that he was defending himself was reasonable. In seeking the answers to these questions it was arguably Bownds – not her undisputed killer – who was put on trial.

This is evident from the descriptors used to describe Bownds throughout the trial. The judge, defence and prosecution counsel repeatedly referred to her as a “difficult” woman, implying she was likely to have contributed to her own death. The further denigration of Bownd’s character is captured in the prosecutor’s description of her as “no angel” and the defence counsel’s words in his closing address. He said that while it was not in his nature to:

...speak ill of the dead…at times it is our duty to do so. This is one of those times.

These are only two examples of the many ways that Bownds’ victim status was denied throughout the trial and in sentencing.'

'The tendency to blame the victim can be found in other instances of alleged defensive homicide. In many of the cases since 2005 there was no warranted threat posed by the victim to their attacker and, in several of these instances, a verbal exchange between the offender and the victim was cited as enough to incite the offender’s fear.'

Source: 'Legitimising lethal male violence: why defensive homicide needs to be abolished'

Going to drown my sorrow at the local pool :loveyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member