Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Criminal Code 1899 - SECT 355 355 Deprivation of liberty - AustLII
www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/cc189994/s355.html

Any person who unlawfully confines or detains another in any place against the other person's will, or otherwise unlawfully deprives another of the other person's personal liberty, is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for 3 years.

I think we have now discovered the motive for his not letting her go back to her hotel that night and his depriving her of her liberty as he was afraid that she could report him to the police hence he took her phone away from her. The police would then find out he had been drinking again and she could have accused him of other things of which we are unaware. Tostee was in enough trouble already with the police. He did not trust her nor did she trust him. So if that was his motive - to prevent her from calling the police - he was never going to let her go especially after he choked her, tackled her and locked her out on his balcony in the cold when she had pleaded so often with him to let her go back to her hotel - until he put her on the plane to NZ! Also she was never going to leave his apartment without her passport, phone and possessions walking around Surfers Paradise topless. But in the end, she must have realised that trying to climb down into another apartment balcony would at least possibly save her life. I have read on twitter and elsewhere that some have thought he wanted sex with her again and that is the reason he would not let her go and wanted her to stay all night. But IMO that was not the case.

I agree.

Because she didn't have an opportunity to as she was forced over the balcony and was clinging on for life

Exactly. The very sad part in all of it is that it will be Warriena's family that are going to be doing the life sentence in the aftermath of it all and that breaks my heart because i know to an extent of what they will be going through, :(

Yep, we need a "Book of Infallible Rules for Negotiating Life," don't we. I actually think childhood education needs to be broadened to give children guidance in managing interpersonal relationships; in dealing with the sort of situation that led to Warriena's totally avoidable death. Maybe in a hundred years they'll have it all sorted out ... but we don't now, and her family are left to carry the pain. It is so very sad.

He should have just let her go home.

That is the absolute bottom line here. That is where he erred. And now all these people are paying the price .... Warriena, her family, her friends, his family, himself.

Not only this but what I can not make sense of......not allowing her to collect her belongings. This is something one would expect from a couple that had some history but why not just let her go WITH HER STUFF.

Not only this but what I can not make sense of......not allowing her to collect her belongings. This is something one would expect from a couple that had some history but why not just let her go WITH HER STUFF.

That could tie in with False Imprisonment perhaps? Restraint of Liberty against that person's will.

Yep, we need a "Book of Infallible Rules for Negotiating Life," don't we. I actually think childhood education needs to be broadened to give children guidance in managing interpersonal relationships; in dealing with the sort of situation that led to Warriena's totally avoidable death. Maybe in a hundred years they'll have it all sorted out ... but we don't now, and her family are left to carry the pain. It is so very sad.

Yes it would be good if life here was infallible. After raising four children to adulthood i know that they all go their way, and young people are risk takers unfortunately for us parents, and sometimes tragedy happens. They think at times they are invincible and nothing will ever happen to them, but sadly sometimes that's not the case.

Oh, so later on then.
Though the court case was pending at the time.

Thanks. :)

Hi SA - sorry to be so brief at the time. I'd looked up the date of the letter, and intended to reply to you about it, but I was trying to round up three cats and get them in for the night, and at some point I thought I'd better just hit the submit button and would write more later. It's now well over an hour later and I'm only just now sitting back down again!

Anyway, I just wanted to say, I wonder if there's anything that could be deduced from the timeline of Warriena's death to GT trying to outrun the police pursuit to his "letter of contrition" to the police. If I can find some spare time tomorrow, I'll try to figure it out. The one thing that strikes me about the letter is that it sounds like a big kid in the 18-21 year old age range - whereas he was actually a decade older than that. A bit too old to be pulling the "sorry I was a bad boy, I've learned from my mistakes" thingy.

Control. GT needed to control her.
Welcome LB :D

Thanks for sharing that, I love hack, but didn't catch this!

Sent from my Blade S6 using Tapatalk

Yes it would be good if life here was infallible. After raising four children to adulthood i know that they all go their way, and young people are risk takers unfortunately for us parents, and sometimes tragedy happens. They think at times they are invincible and nothing will ever happen to them, but sadly sometimes that's not the case.

The two worst recent stories for me were the two young women who fell to their deaths - one at the Grand Canyon and the other at Trolltunga in Norway. In both cases just out there exploring their world, not doing anything so very risky, but both tried to make room for other people to get through and it cost them their lives. How does that even happen?

May you live to see your kids turn into seniors!

I don't get it. Why didn't she scream for help at the top of her lungs for 30 mins on the balcony? I spent 15 years living in high rises in surfers paradise and it's very densely populated. She would have the police arrive within minutes

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I just actually listened to the audio last night. Some thoughts going through my head:

1. I originally thought that WW ran away from JT while he was holding her down. From hearing the wind in the background of the audio while she was screaming, “No,No, No!” it seems to me that he muscled her out to the balcony
  2. From my point of view, JT was not trying to kill her. It sounded like he was trying to dominate her, to get her to stay with him all night so that he could have his way with her. He did not seem scared.
  3. If he really wanted to escape a dangerous situation, there was nothing keeping him from leaving himself. I know it’s his home, but it would be pretty easy to say, “ I’m leaving. You better be out in 15 minutes or I’m calling the police.” Of course that raises the secondary motive for keeping her there. He didn’t want to face any criminal charges.
  4. When she cries, “Just let me go home,” after hecloses the balcony door on her, it is merely seconds later that she’s gone. So it leaves me to consider 2 options.

a. She climbed over the railing herself REALLYquick to escape him.

b. He actually put her over the railing beforeclosing the door on her.

I’m still leaning towards her climbing over the railing herself. I thought I heard some banging on the door when he closed it. And carrying her over the railing would have brought some unwanted attention to himself. But she went down sooo fast. And she did not scream for help beforefalling. What do others think and why?

Either way, I believe he was reckless with her life, and he should take responsibility.

Do you think that would ever have happened after he had restrained and choked her? I find myself wondering what would have happened if she hadn't have gone over the balcony. He had already been in trouble with the police, how would an assault charge have gone down with him?

Yes, and we've heard Warriena state on the tape that she would 'call the police' at least twice.

The world is crazy!

Rules on how much force should a man use to remove a woman to a 'safe area'.

Rules on how much force should a woman use to remove a man to a 'safe area'.

Man - holding a woman's arm?

Woman - holding a cricket bat?
No contest!

All Warriena wanted was her phone and belongings so she could leave. He took those from her. The fear to be away from home, no money, no phone, no passport & drunk on the streets of Surfers. Arghhhh.
Frightening thoughts.

Who here has just been through what she'd been through?
Who can ever act with the benefit of hindsight?
Who cannot feel pain at the tragedy of her death?

Or feel so terrified they try to escape via a balcony 14 storeys above the ground?

Only one woman wI know of, who survived. She was terrified enough to risk standing on and inching her way along an 18" wide ledge 8 storeys above the ground to escape her attacker.

The woman had been on a date the previous night with a man who was a neighbour in the apartment building where I worked. Her 'date' didn't allow her to leave after their sexual encounter but instead held her captive after overpowering and assaulting her. He left the apartment the next day to go to work and she managed to escape by smashing the glass in a locked casement window and climbing through it naked to the ledge outside.

The difference in outcomes between this woman being rescued and Warriena falling to her death were due to the time of her escape and that she was able to keep her balance on the ledge that was contiguous with the side of the building. This meant she was able to access a neighbouring apartment, where she was assisted inside by the occupant, given first aid and kept protected behind a fire door until emergency services arrived.

I was unable to find a link to an online MSM article so you will have to take my word for it that the above events occurred at Kirribilli NSW.

Whatever happens with this case, I am certain Gable Tostee/Eric Thomas will, within 2-3 years, end up in jail.
He's just that kind of guy...

Whatever happens with this case, I am certain Gable Tostee/Eric Thomas will, within 2-3 years, end up in jail.
He's just that kind of guy...
I agree. If he is a damaged as I think he is, he will hurt another female. Especially if he gets away with this one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree. If he is a damaged as I think he is, he will hurt another female. Especially if he gets away with this one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I believe the gender or, indeed, the age of his next victim is of no consequence. Anyone more physically vulnerable is, and will be, at risk from him in the years to come if he doesn't receive psychiatric treatment IMO. Although even that may not be adequate to help him control his rage.

I was not aware until now that Warriena said this:

"Warriena Wright was seeing and hearing things and claimed she would "jump off the balcony" about 40 minutes before plunging to her death, lawyers for Gable Tostee say."

It sounds as if Warriena's behaviour was psychotic if she was seeing and hearing (strange) things possibly due to the alcohol Tostee had been feeding her all night on an empty stomach.

I wonder if a Psychologist should have been employed to interpret the significance of this to help jurors to make the right verdict.

Tostee made reference to jumping off the balcony about three or four times during that night but I do not remember this being brought up in court. My take on this is that when one is drunk, you don't think logically or rationally. and the subconscious mind which is a literal mind takes over. The conscious mind is the censor and that function is missing when drunk.

Also, the jurors were told to only concentrate on the last 6 minutes of the audio tape. But psychologically, there has been a lead up with what he has been saying and doing and with what she has been saying and doing and things gradually got worse due to the alcohol. I think a Psychologist or Psychiatrist would have been able to explain this progression and what could have been going on in both of their minds. He/she could have explained the fear factor after the chokehold and why a girl would choose to escape over the balcony rather than waiting to calm down and eventually leave by the front door.

My question to a Psychiatrist would be was Warriena trying to escape life-threatening violence considering what led up to it such as the chokehold and her state of mind

Problem with the claim she was psychotc is, that's only what Tostee's lawyer is saying and it's pretty clear on the tape they are lying.

It's a load of obvious BS. W was talking to her SISTER on the phone, talking to TOSTEE while his voice was inaudible, talking a lot of utter nonsense because she had ALCOHOL poisoning thanks to Tostee's nasty moonshine and the jury wipould have heard her getting more and more drunk.

But it serves the lawyers to gaslight her, just as it served Tostee to pretend he was sorely injured on the tape. All bulldust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties