Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first coronial inquest will be held there in early February while William Tyrrell's disappearance will be probed before Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame for a week in March with further hearings later in the year.

$91.5m coronial facility opens in Sydney | Daily Mail Online
I really thought William’s inquest may have been held in one of the big Courts in town for security reasons. The new Coroner’s Court complex may negate the need for that.

Whatever happened to that particular uncle? It's like he has disappeared off the face of the earth.

Case name

R v ASHLEY TYRELL

Date

06 Dec

Time

9:30 am

Case number

2018/00280717

List number

-

Burwood

Room

' + listingDetail.court_room_name | trustedHTML" style="box-sizing: inherit; margin-bottom: 10px; font-size: 15px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 20px;">Burwood

Court 2 Burwood

Justice NSW
@NSWJustice

The inquest into the disappearance of William Tyrrell will be held at the new Forensic Medicine & Coroners Court Complex at Lidcombe. The first segment of the inquest is expected to begin on 25 March 2019 & is set down for five days.

Twitter

Five days doesn't seem like much for the first segment, does it? But I think it will give the Coroner time to sit down and ask the hard questions of someone(s) who will now be compelled to speak.

Last edited:
Five days doesn't seem like much for the first segment, does it? But I think it will give the Coroner time to sit down and ask the hard questions of someone(s) who will now be compelled to speak.
No it doesn’t. I expect William’s parents and investigators to be first on the stand but I could be wrong.

Authorities will launch a fresh inquest into the disappearance of William Tyrrell following the discovery of 'items of interest'. The three-year-old went missing from his home at Kendall, on the NSW mid north coast, in September 2014. The new inquest will be held at the Forensic Medicine and Coroners Court Complex at Lidcombe in March.

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

Authorities will launch a fresh inquest into the disappearance of William Tyrrell following the discovery of 'items of interest'. The three-year-old went missing from his home at Kendall, on the NSW mid north coast, in September 2014. The new inquest will be held at the Forensic Medicine and Coroners Court Complex at Lidcombe in March.

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

How could this be classified as 'fresh' when there has been no inquest to date.

My understanding is no one can be compelled if it will incriminate them.

The law says otherwise ... if the coroner is satisfied that the interests of justice require it.

Section 58(2) provides that a witness cannot be compelled to answer a question or produce a document that might tend to incriminate them, or render them liable to a civil penalty.
This provision however, is subject to s 61, which empowers a coroner to compel a witness to give evidence if the coroner is satisfied that the interests of justice require it, and giving the evidence will not render the witness liable to a criminal offence or civil penalty under a law of a foreign country.

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/NSWBarAssocNews/2014/12.pdf

As an aside, when watching some of the footage from Belinda Peisley's coronial inquiry, I was astonished that other POI's were allowed in the courtroom at the same time as others were giving evidence or being cross examined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtt