Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lia Harris
@LiaJHarris

He told the court he appears as a character reference “notwithstanding” his activism for civil liberties and his belief “protections are important”. He met Jubelin in 2012 or 2013 during the Parliamentary Enquiry into the Bowraville murders, one of Jubelin’s cases.
10:04 AM · Apr 8, 202

Mr Shoebridge told the court the families of the Bowraville victims “felt like they had someone on their side” in Jubelin. “They saw in Gary a police officer who understood them as human beings and understood their pain as best he could” he said.
10:06 AM · Apr 8, 2020

Last edited:
Jamie McKinnell
@jamie86

The first character witness is NSW Greens MP
@ShoebridgeMLC
, who's speaking about how Jubelin interacted with families linked to the Bowraville murders. "They saw in Gary a police officer who understood them as human beings, who understood their pain as best he could."
10:08 AM · Apr 8, 2020

Lia Harris
@LiaJHarris

Mr Shoebridge told the court “I regard police as a service to the public and it was an extraordinary service to the public Gary was providing” in his fight for justice in the Bowraville case. He said Jubelin would have been “difficult” to work with because “he was very driven”.
10:12 AM · Apr 8, 2020

@LiaJHarris

Asked by defence barrister Margaret Cunneen if Jubelin was “an honest man”, Mr Shoebridge told the court “I have no doubt in all my interactions with Gary that he’s been profoundly honest”.
10:14 AM · Apr 8, 2020

Replying to
@jamie86
and
@ShoebridgeMLC
Prosecutor asks
@ShoebridgeMLC
whether Jubelin's breach of the Surveillance Devices Act diminishes his view of Jubelin's good character, given Mr Shoebridge's concern for civil liberties: "No it doesn't, I still believe him to be a fundamentally decent, honest man."
10:18 AM · Apr 8, 2020·
https://twitter.com/jamie86
Replying to
@jamie86
and
@ShoebridgeMLC
@ShoebridgeMLC
says he's careful to not second guess the magistrate's findings and strongly-worded remarks on judgment, but says his assessment of Jubelin's character is based on his interactions with him.

Lia Harris (@LiaJHarris) | Twitter

Hogan repeatedly asks Mr Shoebridge if he maintains his view of Jubelin’s character despite the Magistrate’s finding that he “manufactured” his evidence. Mr Shoebridge told the court he does, but said “honesty is an important part of character”.

10:20 AM · Apr 8, 2020
Mr Shoebridge has been excused and former NSW Police Deputy Comissioner Nick Kaldas has taken the stand for Jubelin’s defence. He was also a former commander of the NSW Homicide Squad.
10:22 AM · Apr 8, 2020

The next character witness is former NSW Police deputy commissioner Nick Kaldas, who's since worked in multiple roles with the UN. He says Jubelin is "a very committed, tenacious investigator who has always had the interests of murder victims and their families at heart".
10:28 AM · Apr 8, 2020·
[URL='https://twitter.com/jamie86']Jamie McKinnell
@jamie86[/URL]
Replying to
@jamie86
and
@ShoebridgeMLC
Mr Kaldas also says Jubelin was "a very loyal colleague" who got on famously with all of his workmates and partners, he's also considered "innovative" when it comes to investigations and Mr Kaldas says he has "no doubts about his integrity".

Asked about Jubelin’s work ethic, Mr Kaldas told the court he was “in the top 5”. Saying “he was one of the hardest workers I have ever seen in the NSW Police Force”.
Lia Harris
@LiaJHarris

Mr Kaldas told the court Jubelin never had any issues with colleagues in his time as his commander and said that “if there have been recent issues...I think there may have been some failures in leadership in not dealing with these issues”.
[URL='https://twitter.com/LiaJHarris']Lia Harris
@LiaJHarris[/URL]

Mr Kaldas told the court he believes Jubelin’s service “has been exemplary” and said the murder victim’s families ongoing support of him “speaks volumes”.
10:42 AM · Apr 8, 2020

Lia Harris
@LiaJHarris

Prosecutor Hogan is questioning Mr Kaldas about what he considers to be “effective policing”. Mr Kaldas told the court “no single individual” decides the direction of a Homicide case and “there are checks and balances... there are warrants being issued”.
10:47 AM · Apr 8, 2020

Lia Harris
@LiaJHarris

Mr Hogan asked Mr Kaldas about whether it was “effective policing” to pursue a suspect without any evidence. Mr Kaldas responded “I don’t accept that proposition... if you have some suspicions which has caused you to take out those warrants and the courts have not stopped you”.
10:53 AM · Apr 8, 2020

Lia Harris
@LiaJHarris

Margaret Cunneen clarifies to the court that Jubelin has been found guilty of the crimes, but not convicted at this stage. The Magistrate will rule on that later today.
10:52 AM · Apr 8, 2020

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members