AZ AZ - Allison Feldman, 31, Scottsdale, 18 Feb 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the BF been ruled out? Has anyone heard? Is anyone thinking this could go unsolved?

SPD vows they are going to solve it. It took them 14 years to finally bring charges against Bob Crane's (Hogans Heros) killer. They botched up the crime scene so badly the prosecutors couldn't make the charges stick even though they were pretty sure they knew who did it. This was in 1978. Things have changed a lot since then. Better techniques, more advanced technology.

SPD doesn't want to botch up this one. I think they will make an arrest as soon as they have all their ducks in a row. They said they were still waiting on some DNA results. I know one of the other regular posters here said they have their own lab and that it shouldn't take that long to get results back. But in my research I have found that it can actually take months in some cases. I'm thinking if the perp actually did attempt to destroy the DNA that could be why it's taking so long.
I read where only about 64% of murder cases are solved. But I would think that this case, with all the forensics, etc will have far greater odds.

It may have been mentioned before, but i feel like she got out of the shower and perhaps the towel she was using was what they used to cover her face. The whole thing is so sad and scary.

Anything is possible and with the lack of information and then just knowing she was nude with a cloth wrapped around her head leads one to think that could be the case. But I think it was a lot more complicated than that. I think the secrecy surrounding this case makes our imaginations go wild. I know mine does.
Yes, it is scary. Yes it is sad. I know I'm not going to feel safe again until they catch the killer.

P
Anything is possible and with the lack of information and then just knowing she was nude with a cloth wrapped around her head leads one to think that could be the case. But I think it was a lot more complicated than that. I think the secrecy surrounding this case makes our imaginations go wild. I know mine does.
Yes, it is scary. Yes it is sad. I know I'm not going to feel safe again until they catch the killer.

I don't blame you. But, I want to believe LE knows more than what we're privy to.

I think there are two main reasons there is so much conflicting information:

1) The news media is sometimes misreporting. For instance, the only mention of this being a shooting was one report by Channel 15. The only thing close to official word on cause of death was the accidentally leaked warrant which reportedly mentioned "head trauma." If it was a gunshot wound, I would have thought that would be more specific. But maybe not. Another is if the boyfriend was cleared or not. I thought they said early on they ruled him out. And I don't recall anything in the meeting that contradicted that. I followed up with a friend who was also there and remembers it the same way. Sure, Channel 10 reported that he has not been cleared, but it's one of the few hard facts they didn't show the commander actually saying. It's strange to me that LE would change direction on that and only bother to tell one news guy.

2) I think LE was too eager during that first meeting to quell fears. (I didn't actually attend the first one, so this is based on how the news reported it.) They made assumptions based on probably similar cases or profiles. Considering no forced entry, and probably other clues they haven't released, they probably assumed it must have been someone she knew. And most of the time that's probably exactly the way it goes. So after several days, with lots of pressure to say what's going on, that's what they went with. They probably thought ex-boyfriend, contractor, laborer, whatever, no worries we'll find him in short order. Then as the days turned to weeks and they couldn't figure it out, they realized they jumped to conclusions too quickly. The whole purpose of that second meeting seemed to be about undoing the assumptions they laid out in the first. Even the word "targeted" - he criticized that it maybe wasn't appropriate and then went on to somewhat defend it, paraphrased something like "if you are the victim of a crime, by definition you were 'targeted' regardless of the situation". That was followed up by a lot of those "may or may not" clauses. It seemed to be about correcting the misstatements from before, without actually explicitly admitting they had been wrong.

My tone may come across critical, but I think they did a good job in that second meeting. He was very clear in explaining what they know and don't know, even if they couldn't give us some details, or how/why they knew certain things.

Hi. I was at the first meeting but not the second. I didn't even know they were having that second meeting until it was nearly over. Not a very big attendance.

I found it interesting that a different commander was in charge of the second meeting.

I never got the idea that they thought they had a slam dunk suspect but they did give me the impression they had an idea who did it. Otherwise how could they say it was targeted or isolated or personal, all words used to describe the crime in that first meeting.

I was pretty shocked when they refused to tell us the manner of death or if she had been sexually assaulted. About the only info we got in that first meeting was that there had been no forced entry and that the boyfriend was cooperating.

I think you're right that the meeting was to address the neighborhood concerns and make them feel safer but with the lack of information it didn't work. Many got up and left the meeting very upset.

I think the timing of the second meeting was interesting in that Allisons family had just arrived in town for the memorial service and I would assume they went to Allisons house. I wonder if it was then that her mother or sister might have noticed the tiffany bracelet being missing. Just a thought.

At any rate, the story did change from we think it was targeted to we don't know if she was targeted. For the first time neighbors were advised to keep their porch lights on at night. They were even told it might be someone in the neighborhood. This was a major twist. A 180 if you will.

That can hardly be blamed on the media misreporting.

LE and the media have long had a love/hate relationship. But in this case I do not see the media overstepping their bounds at all. Even the leaked court docs didn't seem to have any info that would scare the killer away or jeopardize the investigation.

But still this made LE furious.

As for the shooting report. I did see it worded differently in another news story so I know channel 15 isn't the only one. It has been removed from the other source so I don't know if they were told to scrub it or if it was just a misunderstanding. One would think a gunshot would have been heard by the neighbors.

I am torn between feeling we have a right to know what happened so we know how to protect ourselves to feeling I don't want them to do or say anything that might in any way jeopardize catching and prosecuting this killer.

I would really appreciate it if the SPD released a more informative report for the community that addressed our fears and concerns more adequately. I think we have the right to know certain things they are not telling us, like if she was sexually assaulted or not. If they really don't think it was someone she knew and if they now believe this was random I believe they have a moral and civic responsibility to share that information with us.

P

I don't blame you. But, I want to believe LE knows more than what we're privy to.

Oh that's a given. They are giving us as little as they can get away with. Whoever ordered the lid on this may not have considered all the consequences.

I have been thinking about the cloth wrapped around Allison's head. Could it have been a blindfold wrapped around to cover her eyes? It has made me wonder, if she was blindfolded, were here hands and feet also bound? Thinking of the defensive wounds, suggested by LE, on the perp's arms and hands ... scratches would likely be confined to those areas if Allison struggled with her attacker while her hands were being bound/ after they were bound. It sounds like it may have been an execution-style murder. I doubt it was random. IMO, it was personal.

What you wrote about execution style murder caught my attention. I'm not sure about the hands bound theory but the covering of the head before bludgeoning someone is a murder technique used by experienced killers and executioners of sorts. It could also have been a method used by someone familiar with the fact that head injuries have an enormous amount of blood and even splattering. (Sorry to be so graphic here). We don't know what kind of cloth was used but I can see a savvy killer wrapping a cloth of some kind to prevent blood from even getting on him.

A killer not so smart or experienced with the way a body bleeds, like Jodi Arias for example, might not have wrapped a cloth around the head.

So yes...it does appear execution style. And this would make LE feel it was personal or she was targeted. I can see where you are coming from.

It may have been mentioned before, but i feel like she got out of the shower and perhaps the towel she was using was what they used to cover her face. The whole thing is so sad and scary.

What makes me think this is them saying that she was found nude in the hallway with the cloth over her face. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. I do agree though, their secrecy definitely does make our imaginations go wild. They aren't giving us much to work with!

What makes me think this is them saying that she was found nude in the hallway with the cloth over her face. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. I do agree though, their secrecy definitely does make our imaginations go wild. They aren't giving us much to work with!

Here is a link to a real estate listing with photos of rooms in her house.

http://https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale/8526-E-Monterey-Way-85251/home/27166440?from_mobile_app=true

I hope it works. I'm not good at adding links here.

I'm thinking in a house like this the master bathroom would have probably been located within the master bedroom. If this is the case she might not have been that near the hall. Also, the bedrooms might have been carpeted and the perp might have intentionally drug her to the hallway, which appears to be tile or hardwood and would have made cleanup easier.

We just don't know. She might have been trying to escape. I think your theory does have basis, however.

Here is a link to a real estate listing with photos of rooms in her house.

http://https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale/8526-E-Monterey-Way-85251/home/27166440?from_mobile_app=true

I hope it works. I'm not good at adding links here.

I'm thinking in a house like this the master bathroom would have probably been located within the master bedroom. If this is the case she might not have been that near the hall. Also, the bedrooms might have been carpeted and the perp might have intentionally drug her to the hallway, which appears to be tile or hardwood and would have made cleanup easier.

We just don't know. She might have been trying to escape. I think your theory does have basis, however.

ETA: Or.... As another poster theorized a few days ago, she might have slept in the nude and was awakened by her attacker who might have tried to restrain her with a sheet. In the struggle she might have made it into the hallway. We just don't have enough to go on to really know.

Whatever happened, it took LE four days to gather forensics. That in itself is enough to make anyone's imagination go wild.

but why not say "sheet" or "towel"? They used the term "cloth" which is so generic, for a reason IMO.

but why not say "sheet" or "towel"? They used the term "cloth" which is so generic, for a reason IMO.

I agree. I'm trying to think when I even use the word cloth. Mostly never. I guess when I refer to a drop-cloth is about the only time.

I agree. I'm trying to think when I even use the word cloth. Mostly never. I guess when I refer to a drop-cloth is about the only time.

exactly. So so generic a term to use... could be very distinctive to the perp's profession, etc.

"cloth" UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: a dropcloth is pretty large, in general, though, no? I get the impression this was smaller. Not sure why, perhaps because they indicated it covered her face, so I thought small.

Whatever 'it' was, the cloth may have been (simply) used to keep Allison from recognizing her attacker...

:moo: :cow:

One would think that a city like Scottsdale would have a sophisticated police media person. Doesn't appear to be the case. I have never heard of a crime described by LE in so many contradictory ways.

Good point. Also, I wonder why no mention that they are seeking/using help from higher authorities, like state, or perhaps federal....

exactly. So so generic a term to use... could be very distinctive to the perp's profession, etc.

"cloth" UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: a dropcloth is pretty large, in general, though, no? I get the impression this was smaller. Not sure why, perhaps because they indicated it covered her face, so I thought small.

I don't recall reading the words "it covered her face". Not to say it didn't or that I might have missed it. What I specifically read was "a cloth wrapped around her head". Not sure it makes any difference but it might.

I agree a drop cloth would probably be too big. It would have had to be big enough to wrap around her head. I'm wondering if it's possible the investigators who wrote that report couldn't tell under the circumstances exactly what it was. And so they just called it a cloth because that's all they knew. I would think if it was a towel that would have been obvious.

Since this was part of the leaked info from the court docs I doubt they were being vague on purpose.

That just came to mind.

Good point. Also, I wonder why no mention that they are seeking/using help from higher authorities, like state, or perhaps federal....

Is it unusual in these types of cases not to seek help from other agencies as you mentioned?

hmmm covered her face vs. wrapped around her head... got me thinking about "wrapped around her head"... wonder what that means. Wrapped multiple times, like an ACE bandage? wrapped around the back of her head, thus why they would not say it covered her face. Yes, I agree with another poster who mentioned the idea that a face is often covered if the perp knew the victim and had that personal connection.

Still stuck on this "cloth". It is significant IMO.

after reading and researching so many cases in so many jurisdictions, I find it is difficult to say what is "usual" in a case like this, or a missing person case. That said, this one does seem unusual, lol...

hmmm covered her face vs. wrapped around her head... got me thinking about "wrapped around her head"... wonder what that means. Wrapped multiple times, like an ACE bandage? wrapped around the back of her head, thus why they would not say it covered her face. Yes, I agree with another poster who mentioned the idea that a face is often covered if the perp knew the victim and had that personal connection.

Still stuck on this "cloth". It is significant IMO.

Yeah agreed. The use of the word "cloth" has bothered me from the beginning. So much ambiguity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lily89