GUILTY AZ - Ame Deal, 10, suffocated in footlocker, Phoenix, 12 July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cousins plead not guilty to suffocating Phoenix girl
Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:23pm EDT

John and Samantha Allen, both 23, entered not guilty pleas to first-degree murder, conspiracy and multiple counts of felony child abuse in Maricopa County Superior Court stemming from the girl's death last month.

snip

The girl's grandmother, Judith Deal, 72, and Cynthia Stoltzmann, 44, her aunt and legal guardian, also pleaded not guilty to multiple counts of felony child abuse in the case.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/17/us-arizona-suffocation-idUSTRE77G63P20110817

This story reminded me that I knew a girl once (we were in sixth grade) -- she invited me to her house for dinner...and there was a padlock on her fridge. I remember that.

What kind of people put a padlock on their fridge? Is that how things were when THEY
were growing up? I mean, you have to get this from somewhere, right?

Although I know more of the details of what happened to Ame, I can't think about it.
Prader Willi Syndrome

Disclaimer: I fully admit I am extremely emotional and guilt ridden about Ame. So I may have missed something.
All of these suggested changes are wonderful and will likely help some children.

But Ame is dead because CPS does not communicate between states. Period. End of story. It's that simple.

When there is a serious situation like Ame's, it needs to be in a system like NCIC.
So that when another CPS agency gets a report and enters the name... it will come up immediately.

THEN "how reports are coded" can take effect because it will likely be more serious than a first time report.
Especially when it is obvious that the people took off to avoid CPS, like in Ame's case.

Ame was failed multiple times. I failed her, CPS in Utah failed her and her neighbors in Arizona were just <MsF snips herself.>
Hoewver, ultimately Ame was dead instead of opening Christmas presents in a loving foster home for one reason.

Because Utah didn't call Arizona and say "This family took off on us, we have documented abuse, you need to act on this right now..."

That is why Ame is dead.

I don't see anything in these "recommendations" that would address that.

Arizona Child Safety Task Force recommendations are now on the Governor's desk

The list includes concerns on how abuse reports are handled at not only Child Protective Services, but schools and the court system.

The nine-page list of recommendations includes a marriage between police agencies and CPS workers.

Other recommendations included changes to current state laws to better define child abuse, child neglect, emotional abuse and even "near fatality."

Most immediately will be restructuring CPS' abuse hotline and how cases are coded.

Other recommendations include training CPS workers to recognize witness tampering in domestic abuse situations and child abuse cases.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/state...s-are-now-on-the-governors-desk#ixzz1i9GVkOqz

New safe house opens for abused women in West Valley

(Buckeye, Arizona, not West Valley, UT)

It is dedicated to the memory of Ame Deal.

http://www.kpho.com/story/16326630/new-safe-house-opens-for-abused-women-in-west-valley

The concrete halls are lined with chain link and whimpers. It is easy to feel disheartened.

-----------

If visitors were allowed in this wing of the Arizona Humane Society's Sunnyslope facility, they would be tempted to use it as a measure of inhumanity, where the abused and abandoned are testament to unthinking brutality.

But those who work here know it for what it really is -- a place where miracles happen.

----------

The week before, the visitor had been an exuberant black Lab named Bella.

Bella was removed from the home of Ame Deal, the 10-year-old girl who died in July after being stuffed into a footlocker.
Arizona's Child Protective Services took custody of other children in the home, and AHS was called for Bella.

Police call AHS when an animal needs to be confiscated from a crime scene.
Depending on the health and behavior of the animal -- and whether it has been abused or neglected -- it may be held, given to relatives who want to care for it, or put in a foster home.

Bella arrived at the shelter in good shape, and was adopted by an AHS staff member.

On this day, as the dog scampered from person to person, the staff couldn't help but imagine the Lab playing with that 10-year-old girl, providing what may have been her only light in dark days.

The thought was perhaps of little solace. But it was a reminder to the staff of the difference a pet can make.

----------

When Newman, the EAMT with eight years experience, drops off an animal that may not survive, she asks the vet techs to call her before any final actions are taken.

Newman wants to be the one to say goodbye.

"They deserve to have someone with them who will hold them, talk to them, care about them," Newman said.
"They leave knowing they were loved. That's what I like to think, anyway."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...t-paramedics-abuse-healing.html#ixzz1i9EFCmeL

------------

I would have given anything to have someone call me and tell me what was going on with Ame... to give me a chance to save her.
But even if she couldn't have been saved... I would have immediately gone down there to do exactly what this EAMT does.

Ame deserved
to have someone who would hold her, talk to her, care about her.
Ame deserved
to leave knowing she was loved.

I think the reality probably was that she left thinking about being hungry or thirsty and not being able to breathe, maybe about dying.

I have nightmares and I am haunted by how much she suffered, how scared she was, how much pain she went through. The "what ifs."

But what bothers me the most is that I hope she remembered there were people who loved her. That tried so hard to save her.

Unrealistic or not, more than anything, I want to believe, that gave her some comfort as she died in that box, scared and alone. :(

This case was one of the saddest I've ever read about. I think that's because you would hope that any child could have even just ONE ally in her home who will protect and care for her, and this little girl had no one at all.

I have to disagree that she had no one at all.

She had people trying to help her -- MsFacetious, Jileen Boydstan and other teachers/counselor who did what they could.

Sadly, they were not able to save Ame, but I have to believe that Ame knows now that she did have people who cared and were trying to help. And now that we know her story, it may spur others to take action if they encounter a child they suspect is being abused, regardless of what the end result may be. Thanks to those mentioned above, I know we have to at least try.

JMO

eta
Realize now that you meant she had no one in her home. Sorry. Was crying while I read this thread.

Let us not let Ame's death be for nothing then. What can we do to change the system?

eta2
I left my post as is because those people who did make an effort to help Ame need to hear over and over again how much what they did is appreciated so very much. More than words can say.

I have been told that CPS sometimes wrongly accused people so that part would need fixing too -- is it wiser to remove the children and investigate? How does that affect those who are innocent in the meantime?

I can't imagine having my children taken from me while I tried to prove allegations ... it would be devastating.

I really don't know what the best method is. Leave the children in a home, and investigate could result in the family running and a child's death ... but taking the children from every home could be horrible for those who are innocent.

I'm at a loss ...

In Ame's case there was a record of abuse.
Not allegations... it had been substantiated and proven.
In her case, there was no reason to not keep them from taking her out of the state.

In cases like Ame's, or Kelsey Brigg's, or Juliette's, or Zahra Baker's, where you have physical evidence or multiple witnesses...
I do think you can take the child.

If all you have is an allegation from someone angry or a black eye that everyone agrees came from a fall into a dresser... that is different.
Those people wouldn't run while it was being investigated... it is people who have been investigated before who run.

Ame's was so clear cut. It was so obvious. Witnesses, proof, all of it was there.
Even people she knew, willing to take her while it was figured out. There was no excuse, none.

National database... like NCIC. That is what needs to happen. That would have saved Ame if it had been there and used correctly.
They can flagged as "running from CPS" so that when a report comes in about them, it can be labeled as urgent.

I have been told that CPS sometimes wrongly accused people so that part would need fixing too -- is it wiser to remove the children and investigate? How does that affect those who are innocent in the meantime?

I can't imagine having my children taken from me while I tried to prove allegations ... it would be devastating.

I really don't know what the best method is. Leave the children in a home, and investigate could result in the family running and a child's death ... but taking the children from every home could be horrible for those who are innocent.

I'm at a loss ...

The concrete halls are lined with chain link and whimpers. It is easy to feel disheartened.

-----------

If visitors were allowed in this wing of the Arizona Humane Society's Sunnyslope facility, they would be tempted to use it as a measure of inhumanity, where the abused and abandoned are testament to unthinking brutality.

But those who work here know it for what it really is -- a place where miracles happen.

----------

The week before, the visitor had been an exuberant black Lab named Bella.

Bella was removed from the home of Ame Deal, the 10-year-old girl who died in July after being stuffed into a footlocker.
Arizona's Child Protective Services took custody of other children in the home, and AHS was called for Bella.

Police call AHS when an animal needs to be confiscated from a crime scene.
Depending on the health and behavior of the animal -- and whether it has been abused or neglected -- it may be held, given to relatives who want to care for it, or put in a foster home.

Bella arrived at the shelter in good shape, and was adopted by an AHS staff member.

On this day, as the dog scampered from person to person, the staff couldn't help but imagine the Lab playing with that 10-year-old girl, providing what may have been her only light in dark days.

The thought was perhaps of little solace. But it was a reminder to the staff of the difference a pet can make.

----------

When Newman, the EAMT with eight years experience, drops off an animal that may not survive, she asks the vet techs to call her before any final actions are taken.

Newman wants to be the one to say goodbye.

"They deserve to have someone with them who will hold them, talk to them, care about them," Newman said.
"They leave knowing they were loved. That's what I like to think, anyway."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...t-paramedics-abuse-healing.html#ixzz1i9EFCmeL

------------

I would have given anything to have someone call me and tell me what was going on with Ame... to give me a chance to save her.
But even if she couldn't have been saved... I would have immediately gone down there to do exactly what this EAMT does.

Ame deserved
to have someone who would hold her, talk to her, care about her.
Ame deserved
to leave knowing she was loved.

I think the reality probably was that she left thinking about being hungry or thirsty and not being able to breathe, maybe about dying.

I have nightmares and I am haunted by how much she suffered, how scared she was, how much pain she went through. The "what ifs."

But what bothers me the most is that I hope she remembered there were people who loved her. That tried so hard to save her.

Unrealistic or not, more than anything, I want to believe, that gave her some comfort as she died in that box, scared and alone. :(

Thanks for the article. It was informative and touching. Also, kind of weird that it mentioned Ame. I know you are beating yourself up over this, but you did what you could. They moved. You couldn't control that.

The states need to do something about abusers moving around. This is also a common problem with Baptist "schools." There needs to be a central database that tracks abused children no matter where they go. I do not understand why this doesn't even seem to be something that is in motion. When is the government going to start valuing and protecting our children? The priorities of where our taxes are spent are all screwed up.

http://news.yahoo.com/couple-accused-locking-girl-bin-face-death-penalty-002822435.html
PHOENIX (Reuters) - Arizona prosecutors said on Monday they will seek the death penalty against a couple accused of killing their 10-year-old cousin by locking the girl in a storage bin as punishment for taking a popsicle without permission.
John and Samantha Allen, both 23, have pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit child abuse and multiple counts of felony child abuse stemming from the July 12 suffocation death of 10-year-old Ame Deal at her Phoenix home.

Death penalty. Good. I hope they know what it is like to be scared now. Scared and not have any escape.

I hope they do too.
But I certainly wouldn't mind if their fear was far more similar to Ame's.
I'll take what I can get however.

6th arrest made in death of Ame Deal
Girl's father held on charges of child abuse

A sixth suspect in the harrowing abuse and death last year of 10-year-old Ame Deal was arrested Friday night, Phoenix police say.

David Deal, the girl's father, was taken into custody in connection with abusing Ame, who was found dead last July, locked in a footlocker that measured 311/2 inches long, 14 inches wide and 121/4 inches deep in a south Phoenix home, said Sgt. Trent Crump, a Phoenix police spokesman.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/...me-deal-death-sixth-arrest.html#ixzz203TE7kAV

Thursday is the anniversary of Ame's death.

I am glad that this man is also being charged.
I am not thrilled that they are "trusting" him to show up to court... or the details of the abuse...
I can't copy and paste them. I cannot think about Ame without having nightmares. We talked about moving back to that area... not gonna happen.

Ame continues to cause me to reflect on what I coulda shoulda done differently. I know. Would it have helped? Dunno. But I should have done it.

Ame hasn't been forgotten... she got brought up at a family event this week.
And my girls and niece get A LOT more popscicles now.
:woohoo:

WHERE WAS CPS IN THIS CASE???? Why wasn't this child adopted by someone that would love her?

No words. So angry. If you look back at the previous article when the police thought it was probably accidental, you get quotes from the girl's aunt, who is one of the arrestees and apparently now admits to locking her in that chest at other times. They were trying to get away with it and make it sound like they were all so torn up about the death and stating that the child's mother abused her (which may very well be true), with of course no mention that the four of them were also abusing her. :sick:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/29/us-child-suffocate-arizona-idUSTRE76S04R20110729

Ame's older cousin and older cousin's husband are the ones who were "watching" her and are charged with murder. Aunt was legal guardian and is the mother of the older cousin. Aunt and grandmother are accused of also putting Ame in the chest in the past. Detectives are checking on why Ame had to live with her aunt, and there were more than 12 other children living in the home with various relatives!

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/regio...ce:-4-family-members-arrested-in-girl's-death

"Police say the girl's biological mother is not in the picture. They are still trying to contact and confirm the whereabouts of the girl's biological father.

'Police records indicate that some adults who were living at the home in tents in the backyard provided information to help them unravel the story."

So witnesses to ongoing abuse who didn't bother to tell anyone what was going on until the girl died. I wonder why they are not also charged?

The popsicle was the excuse the abusers used. It wasn't what the kid did, because if it wasn't the popsicle, they'd have done it using another excuse. I was told abusers usually single out a particular child, that not all children are abused.
Does anyone remember the 11 year old boy that walked to the police station in wintertime in Wisconsin? He was wearing nothing but briefs. (Yeah, underpants). He was punished for leaving candy papers on the sofa. Oh, they found his 7 year old sister in a dog cage in the basement. She had nothing with her beyond a light weight blanket. Anyone????

And all because she took a damn popsicle from the freezer, like any kid would do. It was 103 degrees that day. A popsicle on a hot day. :(

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/1...-old-niece-in-phoenix-pleads-guilty-to-child/

Cynthia Stoltzmann, 45, pleaded guilty to two counts of child abuse and one count of attempted child abuse, Maricopa County prosecutors said. She will be sentenced June 6.
Stoltzmann was Ame Deal's aunt and guardian, but she wasn't charged in the girl's July 2011 death.

Disgusting that there still has been no justice for this child. Not forgotten. RIP Ame Lynn :(

But he admitted Wednesday to putting her into the plastic box
and throwing the box into a pool on another occasion.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime...-Ariz-girl-who-died-4459201.php#ixzz2RPBfJblz

That is Attempted child abuse? <self editing here> :stormingmad:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/...locker-death-pleads-guilty-to-abuse-abrk.html

The state is seeking the death penalty against John and Sammantha Allen, authorities told The Republic in 2012.
The death-penalty case won't come to trial until December
, court records show.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2013/04/ame_deal_murder_aunt_pleads_gu.php

The dropping of charges against Ammandea Stoltzmann hasn't made a great deal of sense, especially given the lack of explanation from the County Attorney's Office.

-------------

In February 2012, police arrested Stoltzmann after she admitted to repeatedly abusing Ame before her death, according to that probable-cause statement.

She told police she started keeping Ame in a dog crate in 2005. She also made Ame crush aluminum cans while barefoot, and forced the girl to sleep in a pan meant for a shower floor. Stoltzmann said she'd ruin Ame's meals by dousing it with hot sauce "so strong you couldn't bear to be close by or your eyes would burn and water."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...29phoenix-girl-abuse-life.html?nclick_check=1

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Metcalflovestruecrime
Back