GUILTY AZ - Ame Deal, 10, suffocated in footlocker, Phoenix, 12 July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I came back to check on Ame's thread because her birthday is getting closer. She'd be 13! :seeya:

My daughter asked me today "Mom, when are Ame's fireworks?" :usa:

Ame was born on July 24th. In Utah we do fireworks on July 24th.
These are forever known as "Ame's fireworks" in our house.

My memory is bad... but there is one thing I remember especially vividly.
After the 4th of July 2008 or 2009, Ame and I talked about her birthday and the fireworks.

"You know Ame, those fireworks are for YOU... because you are such an AMAZING little girl."

I wish I'd had my camera... the grin on her face was enormous. We had cake that year too.

I choose to believe she heard fireworks on her last 4th of July... and thought "MsF said those are for ME."

I will never get over this one.

amef.jpg

ame2a.jpg

ame3t.jpg

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=74446612&PIpi=71121460

Thanks MsF for inadvertently leading me to Ame's thread...Maybe it can be moved to the "Awaiting Trial" thread, so it doesn't get lost in here?

http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/view/story/5a0542efe3784f86aeea15f6a37697c7/AZ--Child-Death-Footlocker

Trial for John Michael Allen and his wife, Sammantha Lucille Rebecca Allen, had been set to begin next month. Prosecutors plan to seek the death penalty.

Attorneys on both sides told a Maricopa County judge that they need more time to find possible mitigating circumstances and to interview witnesses. The trial was postponed until Jan. 6.

The Allens, both 25, have pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder charges in the death of Ame Deal.

WTF?? Was there one adult in this child's home/personal life that did not abuse her?? All the stupid CPS cases that make the news because of an over-the-top reaction or nosy, hateful neighbors. Where was everyone on this one?!

Thank you for the update - I was unfamiliar with this horrific case. Disgusting, awful people. It's good to know that five of them will pay for their crimes. Maybe not as much as they deserve but there are so many cases where the guilty go unpunished because they weren't the actual murderer (Teghan Skiba's mother Helen Reyes for one). I'm grateful when prosecutors follow through with child abuse charges. I wish it would happen more often.

November 17 2015 trial set for the Allens.

PHOENIX (AP) — A Nov. 17 trial has been set for a Phoenix couple accused in the 2011 death of a 10-year-old relative who was padlocked in a small plastic trunk for hours.

Sammantha Lucille Rebecca Allen and her husband, John Michael Allen, have pleaded not guilty to a murder charge in the death of Sammantha Allen's cousin, Ame Deal.

http://www.expressnews.com/news/cri...et-for-couple-accused-in-death-of-6329628.php

David Deal - 14 years.
Cynthia Stoltzmann - 24 years, lifetime probation.
Judith Deal - 10 years, lifetime probation.

Trial to begin in death of girl who was padlocked inside box

http://www.redwoodtimes.com/general-news/20170508/trial-to-begin-in-death-of-girl-who-was-padlocked-inside-box

Members of a Phoenix family awoke nearly six years ago a disturbing discovery in their home: A 10-year-old girl who lived there was found dead inside a padlocked plastic storage box, a punishment for having stolen a popsicle.

Authorities say two adult relatives are responsible for making Ame Deal get into the box the night before and had fallen sleep without letting her out.

One of Deal's cousins, 28-year-old Sammantha Lucille Rebecca Allen, goes on trial Monday on murder and child abuse charges stemming from the child's 2011 death.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Allen and her husband, 28-year-old John Michael Allen, who is scheduled to be tried on Aug. 7 on child abuse and murder charges. Both have pleaded not guilty.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/253804434-story

Jury selection began on Wednesday in one of the worst cases of child abuse and neglect reported in Phoenix. Nearly six years ago, 10-year-old Ame Deal was found dead inside a padlocked plastic storage box. The girl's aunt and uncle were charged with first-degree murder and now the trial for one of them is about to get underway.

Ame's cousin, 28-year-old Samantha Allen, faces several charges in the girl's death, including four counts of child abuse, one count of conspiracy to commit child abuse and one count of first-degree murder.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Allen and her husband, 28-year-old John Allen. Three other relatives, including an aunt who served as Ame's legal guardian, and her father, are in prison serving sentences for abusing Ame.

Jury selection is expected to last two weeks. Opening statements begin May 30.

Wondering if this will be live-streamed or tweets??

Anyone??

Well, I've looked for any coverage on this trial, but as usual, not finding anything! :gaah:

Anyone else following this one?

Okay - just now got a Google Alert! Sharing:

How brutual was 0-year old Ame Deal's Life? We may find out when murder trial begins
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...ge-arizonas-child-protective-services-9364502

Three members of her extended family have gone to prison for lengthy terms because of their role in her abuse. Two more are facing murder charges.
[.....]
As horrible as her death was, her life was far, far worse. A jury will begin to hear how much worse when opening arguments begin in the trial of her cousin Samantha Allen.
The trial was scheduled to begin in Maricopa County Superior Court today but the start was delayed until June 12.
[.....]
Allen faces the death penalty for the murder charge, plus a dozen felony counts of child abuse and one for conspiracy. Her husband John "Bud" Allen awaits trial on the same charges

More at link...

Ah Ha - no wonder there was no coverage - June 12th is new trial date!

See you all then! :wave:

Oops - I just saw your post JusticeWillBeServed!

sorry for the typing mistakes above - can't edit my posts anymore - WS glitch!should be 10 year-old

So - this trial is supposed to start today....

Any coverage on this? Tweets? I'll go look in a few....

Also, does this start at 9am Arizona time? If so, and I know Arizona is NOT on Daylight Saving time... so would that mean, since California is 10 hours behind me - will Arizona be 9 hours or 11 hours behind me?? :confused:

TIA! :wave:

And is Juan Martinez the prosecutor??? :juanettes:

Here's what I found - but the date of the article is May 8, 2017 - ??

Trial to Begin in Death of Girl Who Was Padlocked Inside Box
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...in-death-of-girl-who-was-padlocked-inside-box

PHOENIX (AP) — Jury selection begins Monday for a Phoenix woman charged with murder in the 2011 death of her 10-year-old cousin who was found dead inside a padlocked plastic storage box.

Investigators say Ame (pronounced AY-me) Deal was put in the box as punishment for having stolen a popsicle.

Sammantha Lucille Rebecca Allen faces murder and child abuse charges stemming from the child's death.
[.....]
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Allen and her husband, John Michael Allen, who is scheduled to be tried on Aug. 7.

So.... jury selection was already in May? And now we start the trial - am I understanding that correctly.

I keep getting this message when I do my searches:
Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe. Learn more

?? - I guess I'm not getting ALL the updates when I search??? :dunno:

Well, couldn't find much or any twitters for this trial - maybe someone is a better "searcher" then me! :)

And I answered one of my questions - Arizona is 10 hours behind me....

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2017/06/13/ame-deal-sammantha-allen-murder-trial-begins-phoenix-footlocker-death/391247001/

According to both sides' opening statements, the question lies in whether Sammantha told John to let Ame out of the bin before she fell asleep.

Adults at the home, including Sammantha, originally told authorities that Ame hid in the bin during a late-night game of hide and seek before later admitting she had been locked inside.

"The defendant never told John Allen to let Ame out. That was just another story she told ... to try to minimize her part in Ame's murder," Gallagher said.

"From Day 1, the defendant tried to convince everyone that what happened to Ame was an accident. After you have heard all the evidence you will know that ... was definitely no accident."

Received a Google Alert this morning - thought I'd share!

Ame Deal's footlocker death trial: Jurors see photos of girl's body
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...-photos-girls-body-sammantha-allen/394126001/

Jurors in the trial of a woman charged in the death of 10-year-old Ame Deal, who suffocated while padlocked inside a storage bin in Phoenix in July 2011, were given a warning before the second day of testimony: Their emotions cannot play a role in deciding the case.

The reminder came because photos of the girl's dead body were shown to them for the first time. At least one juror openly cried, and many looked away as graphic photos flashed on a screen in the courtroom.
[.....]
The girl's lifeless body was discovered in a 31-by-14-by-12-inch box. Initially, the four adults who lived with Ame in a cluttered south Phoenix home told police it was the result of a tragic game of hide-and-seek gone awry.

They said Ame had fallen asleep while hiding and that they had no idea she was in the box until the morning. Her older sister corroborated the story in a police interview.

But nearly six years later on the witness stand on Tuesday, Ame's older sister told the jurors she had lied.

"I wanted to protect my family," said the girl, who was less than two years older than Ame. "I thought it would make me go home faster."

More at link.... some of it pretty graphic.... :( poor little girl....

:rose: JUSTICE for AME :rose:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back