AZ AZ - Daniel Robinson, 24, remote job site, Buckeye, 23 Jun 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's the question everyone is asking, but there are no details disclosed. I think it was a co-worker who saw him leave.
Yes I saw that. I'm wondering if the co worker was also the friend. One of the articles mentioned that a friend went to Daniel's sister to let them know he was missing. Was just curious how he knew. Maybe something, maybe nothing.

Couple of updates...I am in Phoenix and have been e-mailing the father. Despite what the brother said on a video about starting to get withdrawn and quieter, the father is still working on the assumption he did not "run off" without telling a family member (his sister lives in Phoenix). To that end (an accident-vehicle flip?, medical trauma?, or run in with a crazy?), another voluntary search effort is organized for this Saturday July 24, 2021. Here is the link if interested..

Search For Daniel – Please help look for Daniel Robinson

I checked rainfall gauges up the Hasayampa (sic) for 6/23/21 and it just doesn't look like enough to flood the wash to the extent it would produce trouble.

Craig's list and auto trader have nothing locally that matches the vehicle. I found out from a dealer that it is a unique color called Rhino Grey. The black hood area is not speckled (unless he after market modified it). Delivered as solid black, could be cloud reflections?

Hopefully I don't get TOS'd for this. I found a post on a hiking forum from a co-worker of Daniel's. He mentioned that Daniel had been in a bad mental state as well and that he may have chosen to go missing. (From experience, your children often don't want to worry you.) There was talk that Daniel may have gone to high country aka cooler temps. Maybe there are some areas he has hiked in the past that might be worth checking.

I'm presuming the closest towns and cities have car numberplate cameras? If they do, nothing has been pinged on them.
There was no sign of his blue car, despite numerous air searches with helicopters and drones.

That would leave me to believe that he has driven off, possibly out of state via back roads.

The other option would be that his car wasn't discovered, as it was missed by SAR. That has happened in so many numerous cases before.
Although you'd think a blue car in a red/brown desert would stand out a mile.....but maybe it didn't?

Have the other work sites been checked by SAR? He may have even driven to a remote one that doesn't get checked as often. If he's dealing with holes and water levels, then that could be a danger right there.

Especially if he was having mental illness and distress beforehand.

MOO.

Phoenix might have cameras -- but that only helps if Mr. Robinson traveled that way.

There is so much territory with very low population density.

IIRC the car was dark slate gray? SAR knows, and can handle the terrain & climate.

So heartbroken for Mr. Robinson & his family & friends!

I can't find the article/post now, but I think I remember reading something that said a coworker saw him leave the site he was working at sometime between 8am-10am, and that the witness found this to be odd. That - combined with the reported mental distress before his disappearance - makes me think that perhaps he wanted to disappear, at least for a little while.

He and his co-worker both travelled to the same site in different vehicles.

Their company didn't have a works truck that they used? That seems a bit strange for service industries in general, but especially so in the environment they were working in - industrial & desert - to expect staff to drive out in their own cars.

You usually drive to the company depot, leave your own cars there and go off in a work vehicle. Tools and equipment may be needed.

And also, what about the insurance and liability consequences of taking your own car into a site with industrial bore holes.....

It just seems odd. Nothing hinky, just a funny way for their company to run things.

He and his co-worker both travelled to the same site in different vehicles.

Their company didn't have a works truck that they used? That seems a bit strange for service industries in general, but especially so in the environment they were working in - industrial & desert - to expect staff to drive out in their own cars.

You usually drive to the company depot, leave your own cars there and go off in a work vehicle. Tools and equipment may be needed.

And also, what about the insurance and liability consequences of taking your own car into a site with industrial bore holes.....

It just seems odd. Nothing hinky, just a funny way for their company to run things.
Many companies these days don't provide company vehicles. Mine doesn't, and come to think of it, none of the engineers who consult with our company have business vehicles either. Any necessary tools and equipment would be provided by the company, just not a vehicle.

They drive their own vehicles and I assume, just like I me, they are reimbursed at the standard IRS mileage rate for 2021 of 56 cents per mile for business miles driven. We have a non-owned auto insurance policy that would cover any liability incurred while I was driving my vehicle for business purposes. I maintain my own separate coverage required in California.

I have worked for a company full of hydrogeologists.

I would say that a company that has remote jobsites would usually provide vehicles, since travel might be on rough roads, require four wheel drive, and need a variety of large/dirty tools to be transported, and employees can't be assumed to have vehicles capable of that kind of rigorous use.

At the same time, arrangements can usually IMO be made to use a personal vehicle when it's at the preference of the employee. For example if he wanted to take a few days of personal time after this job, and preferred to leave straight from the jobsite since it was closer to wherever he was going (not implying this, it's a purely fictional scenario, just as example), he could likely get permission to use his personal vehicle for that day and get reimbursed by the mile as @Knox suggests.

This could work especially well if there was another employee at the jobsite with him, in a company vehicle which could carry all the needed tools/machinery etc.

Somewhere upthread someone said he was taking groundwater samples? Do we actually know that or was someone guessing? I have done that and it involves going to existing monitoring wells and lowering a bailing device down inside, and then properly extracting, bottling and labelling the water retrieved from each well.

When I did this it was not a job that required two people -- but perhaps if the site was sufficiently remote, or was along the route to another jobsite, it was deemed best to have a second person there. Or maybe the other person was new and being trained...

As it was done in the late 80s (am I out of date yet?) groundwater sampling and the attendant labelling and paperwork took maybe 15-20 minutes per well. So if this was what he was doing, it was not likely an all-day job unless there were many wells.

Regarding the Phase I/II/III Site Assessments mentioned above -- I was trained to do the Phase I reports and they generally involved only a few hours at most on site, though I suppose large acreages might take days to fully inspect. The Phase I report is basically a deep history of the site to determine if there is any indication on the ground, or history to suggest that toxic hazards that may have gotten into the soil or groundwater. (A few hours on site was usually enough but then many hours of research at the Recorder's Office and looking at historical aerial photos were also needed.)

It's possible that the higher levels of site assessments might involve soil samples, digging, more of a geologic assessment, I can't really say. I was doing this in an urban area where the concern was over previous human uses of the parcel in question, but it sounds like this jobsite was open desert land that had never been developed? Maybe it had become an unintended dumping ground or something along those lines?

My experience and opinion only...

I have worked for a company full of hydrogeologists.

I would say that a company that has remote jobsites would usually provide vehicles, since travel might be on rough roads, require four wheel drive, and need a variety of large/dirty tools to be transported, and employees can't be assumed to have vehicles capable of that kind of rigorous use.

At the same time, arrangements can usually IMO be made to use a personal vehicle when it's at the preference of the employee. For example if he wanted to take a few days of personal time after this job, and preferred to leave straight from the jobsite since it was closer to wherever he was going (not implying this, it's a purely fictional scenario, just as example), he could likely get permission to use his personal vehicle for that day and get reimbursed by the mile as @Knox suggests.

This could work especially well if there was another employee at the jobsite with him, in a company vehicle which could carry all the needed tools/machinery etc.

Somewhere upthread someone said he was taking groundwater samples? Do we actually know that or was someone guessing? I have done that and it involves going to existing monitoring wells and lowering a bailing device down inside, and then properly extracting, bottling and labelling the water retrieved from each well.

When I did this it was not a job that required two people -- but perhaps if the site was sufficiently remote, or was along the route to another jobsite, it was deemed best to have a second person there. Or maybe the other person was new and being trained...

As it was done in the late 80s (am I out of date yet?) groundwater sampling and the attendant labelling and paperwork took maybe 15-20 minutes per well. So if this was what he was doing, it was not likely an all-day job unless there were many wells.

Regarding the Phase I/II/III Site Assessments mentioned above -- I was trained to do the Phase I reports and they generally involved only a few hours at most on site, though I suppose large acreages might take days to fully inspect. The Phase I report is basically a deep history of the site to determine if there is any indication on the ground, or history to suggest that toxic hazards that may have gotten into the soil or groundwater. (A few hours on site was usually enough but then many hours of research at the Recorder's Office and looking at historical aerial photos were also needed.)

It's possible that the higher levels of site assessments might involve soil samples, digging, more of a geologic assessment, I can't really say. I was doing this in an urban area where the concern was over previous human uses of the parcel in question, but it sounds like this jobsite was open desert land that had never been developed? Maybe it had become an unintended dumping ground or something along those lines?

My experience and opinion only...
Depending on the constituents being analyzed, some samples may need to be placed in a cooler with an ice pack until they can be dropped at the lab. Seems to me the sampling, completing the Chain of Custody form, and transport to the lab could easily be done by one person. But I don't know what their protocols are or how far away the lab is.

One things for sure, Daniel's behavior is out of character according to many who know him well. I'm hoping what @agilbe read is true and he's holed up somewhere getting his head straight. I'm rooting for this young man who has so much in his future to look forward too!!!

Please Help Find Daniel

According to the information at the above link:
Daniel landed a career as a field geologist and moved to Phoenix, AZ. He oversees many sites located in remote desert locations, often working in extreme conditions and traveling long distances to work on projects.

Question:
Does this mean he oversees many sites at the same time? As in, are there other worksites he may have visited or planned to visit that day?
I have been working that last night and today. There is no way to know as the information is not forth coming in terms of details like that. However, I was able to identify other sites in the area that COULD have fallen under his duties. I checked 2 today but nothing out of ordinary I am checking 3 more tomorrow. I also assume the police in discussions with the employer would have checked them out. But the 2 I checked today did fall out of the aerial survey grid. And 1 tomorrow does as well.
There is a Regional Landfill located at 24427 AZ-85, Buckeye, AZ 85326 (my specialty), is that in the area he went missing?

Could also be related to remediation or contamination, that's why I asked if there were mining sites.

Regardless before we get too far off track, it sounds like whatever project he was working on had multiple groundwater wells to monitor. If he left one site to travel to another, it would seem that detail would have been included in the story? I thought I remember someone saying he left to go to lunch, which I thought was weird if he was doing remote work. I'd think he would bring a cooler with food and water.

Please Help Find Daniel

According to the information at the above link:
Daniel landed a career as a field geologist and moved to Phoenix, AZ. He oversees many sites located in remote desert locations, often working in extreme conditions and traveling long distances to work on projects.

Question:
Does this mean he oversees many sites at the same time? As in, are there other worksites he may have visited or planned to visit that day?
I have been working that last night and today. There is no way to know as the information is not forth coming in terms of details like that. However, I was able to identify other sites in the area that COULD have fallen under his duties. I checked 2 today but nothing out of ordinary I am checking 3 more tomorrow. I also assume the police in discussions with the employer would have checked them out. But the 2 I checked today did fall out of the aerial survey grid. And 1 tomorrow does as well.
There is a Regional Landfill located at 24427 AZ-85, Buckeye, AZ 85326 (my specialty), is that in the area he went missing?

Could also be related to remediation or contamination, that's why I asked if there were mining sites.

Regardless before we get too far off track, it sounds like whatever project he was working on had multiple groundwater wells to monitor. If he left one site to travel to another, it would seem that detail would have been included in the story? I thought I remember someone saying he left to go to lunch, which I thought was weird if he was doing remote work. I'd think he would bring a cooler with food and water.
Opps. Landfill is SOUTH of there by about 10-15 miles if I remember the landfill correctly. They vaguely alluded to him "turning west" to go further in desert. Which incidentally are where more wells are. Just remember all this is from Buckeye PD bulletins written by communications folks and from news reports.

Opps. Landfill is SOUTH of there by about 10-15 miles if I remember the landfill correctly. They vaguely alluded to him "turning west" to go further in desert. Which incidentally are where more wells are. Just remember all this is from Buckeye PD bulletins written by communications folks and from news reports.
And there is a store about 6 miles one direction and 8-9 the other. So it's not as "remote" as you might think. The "lunch" as it turns out I think is more conjecture by father or reporters than quoted from co-workers.

I’m wondering if maybe Daniel decided to go out further into the desert because he was looking for something specifically related to his hydrogeologist career. Maybe he had heard something from the locals and wanted to check out a specific area. Scientist will usually go to the end of the earth researching and such, because they are usually very passionate about their jobs. Obviously, I don’t know Daniel personally but just a thought.

Thank you so much for looking for Daniel! I live on the other side of the nation but I wish there was more I could do. Knowing there are people like you, taking your time to do this on your own is awesome! Be careful today and I’m hoping you come back with good news!

Thank you so much for looking for Daniel! I live on the other side of the nation but I wish there was more I could do. Knowing there are people like you, taking your time to do this on your own is awesome! Be careful today and I’m hoping you come back with good news!

Thank you for all the clarification and additional details, very helpful. Also for being boots on the ground for Daniel, keep us informed please.

And there is a store about 6 miles one direction and 8-9 the other. So it's not as "remote" as you might think. The "lunch" as it turns out I think is more conjecture by father or reporters than quoted from co-workers.
Seconding @JayLee#99 be careful out there. Not sure how familiar you are with our deserts, but even us desert rats can take a wrong turn sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member