Found Deceased AZ - Diana Zacarias, 22, Grand Canyon, 2 April 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I believe they are talking about using an app called Picodash to search Instagram photos.

Thanks. You're right. It was free on GramFeed to search Instagram until June 1, but GramFeed changed into

Picodash to comply with new Instagram privacy rules and now it costs $.

I also meant to add, but couldn't edit my post, that if anyone wants me to check on something on instagram, I have no problem doing so. Just let me know what/who to look for 

Thanks for the offer, but the previous free app now charges to do searches on Instagram. It's designed more for business use rather than for individuals to search. Privacy and all that. Instagram tightened up, so GramFeed had to change.

Here's the link to my post linking information on how it worked with GramFeed, so you know what we were going to try to do. If you can find another way to do it, that would be great. :)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...d-Canyon-2-April-2016&p=12644382#post12644382

Just a couple of observations. I grew up in Flagstaff and there is a huge difference for those who live there and those who visit. The people who live there are just like everyone else. Flagstaff also has a huge transient population. I do not mean homeless, although there are those also. What I am taking about are those who stay there overnight or for a few days. They are both tourists and travelers. When I lived there, and I assume that it is the same still, the police would go through the hotel parking lots running tag numbers. They had an extraordinary high number of warrant arrests, car thieves and drug trafficker arrests due to that practice. The point is that while most tourists and locals are normal people there are some especially bad people that you can run into, especially at the hotels and certain other establishments that could give that "sketchy" vibe as described by a previous poster.

The father's report regarding the itinerary initially appeared useless because it is impossible to hike the Bright Angel Trail and visit Havasupai Village. A quick internet search provides a possible explanation for the confusing itinerary. The Wikipedia page for the Bright Angel Trail mentions that the Havasupai people created the upper part of the Bright Angel Trail when they would live part of the year at Garden Creek aka Indian Garden Campground.

The Bright Angel Trail hike from the rim to Indian Gardens and back in one day is very popular with tourists because it is just under 10 miles round trip, is an excellently maintained trail and if you are not staying over night no permit is required. Although never as a day trip, I have hiked the bright Angel Trail many times. Hiking down is quite easy but going back up can be difficult due to the 3000 ft elevation change. It would be even more difficult for someone from Louisiana due to the overall altitude. (the Rim is 6860 ft in elevation) Many people unaccustomed to the high altitude can underestimate the difficulty. Also, weather can be a concern. I have hiked that trail where it was in the 70's at Indian Gardens and snowing on the rim. More than once I have seen hikers suffering hypothermia on that trail because they felt warm while they were hiking but failed to realize how cold it had gotten. When they stopped for a break they either didn't have a coat or failed to put it on and their body temperature crashes in just a few minutes. Luckily, it is a heavily traveled trail and as was mentioned earlier, an excellently marked and maintained trail. Even if she had difficulty it is unlikely that she got off trail, or had a medical emergency that was not noticed by other hikers or park rangers.

My guess is that she underestimated how long the hike was going to take her. When she got back to the shuttle stop she was later than she had hoped and fearful that she may not make it back to Flagstaff on time. So either she mentioned that to someone or was simply doing what people do when they are late and waiting for a bus. (Kept checking the time and the schedule...looking down the road to see if it is coming...) Either way someone offered her a ride and she accepted.

Thinking about it, this would be a good spot for a predator, hike from the rim to the 1.6 mile resthouse, strike up casual conversation with the other hikers at the resthouse. Wait for someone who mentions or appears they are in a hurry. Hike the last 1.6 miles out with them, share some water if they are running low... Then once at the top and some rapport has been built they offer a ride. The earlier conversation on the trail makes them no longer seem like a stranger and the victim accepts the ride... It capitalizes on the fact that true hikers are very good people that are always willing to provide help to those they encounter in need. By posing as a fellow hiker it places the victim in a position of vulnerability because the predator is going to act in a way that is completely contrary to their past experience.

I doubt that she ever got back to Flagstaff. Her final text is the most telling, that it was not sent by her. "No, I am not going". That is just not what I would expect from a successful engineering student. Engineers are trained to communicate accurately. That means they state what is, not what is not. A statement of negation is too vague, it leaves too many possibilities to have acceptable accuracy in the engineering world. What I would expect would be I am late...changed plans...something that accurately describes what she is doing, not what she is not doing.

I will never understand why someone, especially a female, would go on a hiking expedition alone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Diana at all. It's just so sad that people can't have the simple expectation of being safe doing what they love to do. This is so heartbreaking, we don't know what happened, but I have a feeling it's not good. On the other side, perhaps she did decide to take off on her own, we have no idea what was going on in her life. Idk, I hope, but I kind of doubt that's what it was. Btw, are there any other missing persons cases in that area ? When I have time I will try to research it. jmo

Btw, are there any other missing persons cases in that area ? When I have time I will try to research it. jmo

Not many, and most, if not nearly all of those are easily attributable to natural hazards (seen, or strongly suspected of falling into the Colorado river, hiking in a remote part of the park and not leaving firm notice as to where he was going etc.). For example, recently, this individual is missing as well: https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/missing-person-western-grand-canyon.htm

He was hiking in a remote part of the park on a poorly maintained trail during an extreme heat advisory. Unfortunately, he fell back from his group and has not been seen since. As with most of the other missing, in all probabilty, he fell victim to natural hazards.

Meanwhile, Diana was not hiking during extreme heat, either stayed on the main tourist trails along the rim, and though she might have started on a trail into the canyon, the trail in question is well maintained and frequently used by hiking enthusiasts, guide services etc. . In addition, Diana would have stood out on that trail for a variety of reasons. Yet, nobody saw her... .

I too thought of Diana this morning when I saw the thread on the Lake Mead body.

I too thought of Diana this morning when I saw the thread on the Lake Mead body.

Lake Mead body wasn't her. Identified as a 61yo woman homicide victim.

I was at the South Rim last week and I did see at least one poster up at a shuttle stop, which brought me here. I need to review the entire thread before I post any questions. Thinking about a lot of the things I saw.

So in reading through the thread, seems like there is conflicting information about her heading to Hermit Trail or Bright Angel... Hermit Trail, if I'm reading everything correctly, requires a back country permit and has a gate with a coded latch? Not that she couldn't have scaled it or gone around it, but I can't find anywhere that mentions her actually having a back country permit. It does look like a challenging hike, and has some rock scrambles, etc.

It looks like the weather was clear that day, high of 62 F / low of 21 F, although that would be at the rim. Descending into the Canyon it gets warmer, is my understanding. If she was on Hermit Trail instead of Bright Angel, then I'd expect it to be less traveled. There is an interesting mapof all of the reported deaths in the grand canyon from the book mentioned earlier. Looking at the area around the Hermit Trail, there are a few suicides from the rim and the upper portion of the trail, then as you get into the canyon, heat exhaustion deaths (seems less likely given the weather) then a few drownings related to the Hermit Rapids. I notice that in a couple of the cases bodies were found years after the accident or suicide, so although it seems likely that birds / wildlife activity might have helped locate a body, if it were sufficiently stuck in a crevice / underhang, etc, it might not be noticed. In the summer, they recommend if you are going to hike it to do so at night on a full moon so the trail is well lit. Still, she was supposed to catch a plane, so that shouldn't have been her plan... also it was still below freezing at night then, and very little moon light on that night.

A few things bother me. One is that this is described in the Univision articles as her "first big solo trip" at 22 years old. It seems a very very short duration trip to travel such a long distance, and not a long time to spend at the Grand Canyon. I also find it a little surprising that at 22yo she had never taken any other "big" trips by herself - but that could be a cultural or situational thing so I don't want to judge.

A lot of the place names related to the tribes and what not are duplicated or used multiple times in the canyon area, so I'm not sure what to make of the Bright Angel / Supai information. They are very distant from each other. It could be that she got confused or was writing down possible itinerary stops or things to do. I can't figure out why it was all about Hermit's Trail at first, then Bright Angel is what is mentioned.

The other detail that bothers me is the buying a t-shirt and post cards. That is always the last thing I do when at a park, because I don't want to carry those items around, especially if I'm going on a hike. Maybe it is just me, but that makes me think she made those purchases then left the park. The park store is at the visitor's center in the central area of the South Rim with parking / shuttles / etc. Unsure of the timing of those purchases with her final text, etc. I am hoping that she simply decided for whatever reason to leave and not go back home, and she is fine somewhere, and that she will come around and finally contact her family to let them know she is ok... but I can't shake the feeling that if she did attempt a hike down into the canyon that something has happened and she simply hasn't been found yet. I would be curious to know where the last cell phone ping was that the NPS mentions.

Also, with regards to clothing / items / trash... when I was at the park recently, I picked up and disposed of a lot of trash that I found along the trails. It is a busy season for the park and I'm sure that contributed to it, but I found several single flip flops, empty plastic water bottles, small pieces of trash... I can't help but think that if you were lost, or if something happened, any small pieces of trash left near a trail, or other "trace evidence", would likely get picked up and disposed of by another hiker without a second thought.

Just my two cents. Hope she is found soon.
docbh

The remains of a woman, believed to be from Louisiana, has been found at the Grand Canyon.

The National Park Service believe that the body belongs to 22-year-old Diana Zacarias of Natchitoches. Zacarias was reported missing on Apr. 3 by her family members. She took a shuttle to the South Rim and was dropped off at the Maswick Lodge on Apr. 2.

The remains have been transferred to the Coconino County Medical Examiner for a positive identification. The National Park Service and the medical examiner are conducting an investigation.
http://www.wbrz.com/news/remains-fo...man?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_wbrz

Will have to wait for confirmation. Unfortunate ending if it really is her.

Slightly more info here:
http://m.azdailysun.com/news/local/...cle_7cf71f62-d261-548a-b009-5668c16619bc.html

Says the remains were found below Pima Point. That is an overlook along Hermit road, the last bus stop before you get to Hermits Rest and the Hermit Trail trailhead. I watched the sunset there last month. Sad to think the remains were so close. The Hermit Trail runs down below Pima Point but there are multiple plateaus in between. From the description I am guessing she fell from the point and wasn't found off trail, but we will have to wait and see if more info is released.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Though the Grand Canyon area is big, parts of it are not truly remote as they are visited by millions of people.

A hiker with many years of experience stated that the main tourist ovrelooks and trails along the south rim are heavily visited and heavily hiked. An attack on a woman that is not seen or heard by others would be very difficult. Most suicides as well as 'slip and falls' are seen going over. If they are not seen, the quick activities of carrion birds (morbid, but part of nature) make the bodies easy to find.

Though Diana stated that she wanted to venture into the canyon where there are far less people, the hiker also stated that the trail she intended to use is used regularly by hiking hobbyists and is also not truly remote by Canyon standards. My guess is that her remains would have been found. Likewise, hikers on the trail at that time would have reported seeing her, or seeing a suspiscious person(s).

The hiker and other posters mentioned, that unlike some of the National Forests or BLM land in Socal that I am familar with, the Grand Canyon does not have a population of resident squatters, drifters, druggees and parolees. Likewise, though I am sure that not everyone going to the Grand Canyon National Park is an amazing human being, knowledgable posters have stated that problems from criminal tourists are extrememly rare.

In short, I am guessing she is not in the Park. Maybe Flagstaff, as others have mentioned, is the key?

Well they obviously have had one killer from the local tribe, there are murdering hikers (Carey Stayner) pretty much anywhere you come across a human it can happen, so I'm leaning toward someone snatched her , do they have drones to search? (if not I think that's pretty dumb)

and this :"Grand Canyon Silent Witness at (928) 638-7840" Ok surprised that they even have this , sounds like more unscrupulous things go on than we thought .

and this :"Grand Canyon Silent Witness at (928) 638-7840" Ok surprised that they even have this , sounds like more unscrupulous things go on than we thought .
Unless the medical examiner rules otherwise, suicide or accidental fall seems most likely. Given her last text, the former more than the latter.

I found a lot of information in Google books on suicides in Grand Canyon National Park in a book called "Suicide as Performance Art." (https://books.google.com/books?id=r...5#v=onepage&q=suicide in grand canyon&f=false) They discussed some ways that suicides in GCNP are outliers compared to other natural areas. Most occur in the off season of October to March, most are jumps/falling and often from public viewpoints like Pima Point (although only 2 suicides have been reported there, other points rank higher).

One of the prior suicides at that viewpoint, the body wasnt discovered for two years.

Regardless of what happened, it is sad.

The only thing that has me thinking otherwise was her cryptic text about not going to her plane.

Still having visited the GC, it is scary how close people get to the edge both intentionally and unintentionally. You would have to bypass railings and fences at most overlooks but a few hundred feet away the cliff edge is very accessible.

I never met Diana, but we went to school together at LSMSA. I know she was very loved by her friends. This story has been at the back of my mind for months. Not the outcome that anyone wanted, but at least her family has closure now.

Her last post on FB was an update of her cover photo- a picture of the Grand Canyon with the text "adventure is out there." So sad.

Will have to wait for confirmation. Unfortunate ending if it really is her.

Slightly more info here:
http://m.azdailysun.com/news/local/...cle_7cf71f62-d261-548a-b009-5668c16619bc.html

Says the remains were found below Pima Point. That is an overlook along Hermit road, the last bus stop before you get to Hermits Rest and the Hermit Trail trailhead. I watched the sunset there last month. Sad to think the remains were so close. The Hermit Trail runs down below Pima Point but there are multiple plateaus in between. From the description I am guessing she fell from the point and wasn't found off trail, but we will have to wait and see if more info is released.

Pima Point, Grand Canyon National Park
[video=youtube;C_kQfVz08iY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_kQfVz08iY[/video]

http://www.univision.com/univision-...rand-canyon-in-search-of-his-missing-daughter

Zacarías is confident that his daughter didn’t kill herself, jumping into the Grand Canyon.

“We cannot believe that. She never tried to hurt herself… if we had any experience that would tell us that Diana could take her life, we would have not have let her come on this trip,” he said. If she planned to kill herself, why, on the day she disappeared, did she buy a t-shirt and postcards in the Grand Canyon shop? Why did she post in Facebook a photo looking so happy? he added.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seng Naw
Back