Found Deceased AZ - Diana Zacarias, 22, Grand Canyon, 2 April 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Personally, I think something happened in Flagstaff. Just a gut feeling because I've never felt comfortable the half dozen times or so that I've visited. Hard to explain. JMO

I am only saying this to show that there are two sides to everything...

I LOVE Flagstaff. I have never once felt uncomfortable there. I am a female in my 30's and Flagstaff always makes me feel safe and happy. I do always have my boyfriend and a plan when I visit though.
It's actually only when I head north into Res territory that start to feel uneasy. Does anyone remember this story from a few years ago?

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...o-murder-of-japanese-tourist-in-grand-canyon/

I think I remember reading that Diana really wanted to see Havasupai Falls(please correct me if I am wrong-just returned from a two week vacation), not sure if she realized how remote and far away they are from the actual entrance to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I wonder if she attempted to head that way with someone she met? IMO!

Again, not trying to take away from your thoughts on Flagstaff, just sharing mine!

Diana, where are you?!

I am only saying this to show that there are two sides to everything...

I LOVE Flagstaff. I have never once felt uncomfortable there. I am a female in my 30's and Flagstaff always makes me feel safe and happy. I do always have my boyfriend and a plan when I visit though.
It's actually only when I head north into Res territory that start to feel uneasy. Does anyone remember this story from a few years ago?

http://www.seattletimes.com/life/tr...o-murder-of-japanese-tourist-in-grand-canyon/

I think I remember reading that Diana really wanted to see Havasupai Falls(please correct me if I am wrong-just returned from a two week vacation), not sure if she realized how remote and far away they are from the actual entrance to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I wonder if she attempted to head that way with someone she met? IMO!

Again, not trying to take away from your thoughts on Flagstaff, just sharing mine!

Diana, where are you?!
BBM

I understand what you are saying, fourcatsonepup. I can't explain my gut feeling logically. It may be generational. :) I have a close younger friend who lived there and loved it (although she was freaked by a rapist on the loose until he was caught). I do think that a woman alone can be vulnerable anywhere, depending on what she does and who she meets. I've heard women say that they "should" be able to travel alone wherever they want to, but the hard reality is that what they "should" be able to do in idealistic theory doesn't mean it's safe. JMO

Yes, she did express an interest in Havasupai, and I agree that she might have made a poor choice to go with someone she met. I hadn't heard the story you posted. Tragic.

The text she sent her mother replying that she had changed her plans about catching the plane is so out of character that I think it was sent by whoever she had been with.

BBM

I understand what you are saying, fourcatsonepup. I can't explain my gut feeling logically. It may be generational. :) I have a close younger friend who lived there and loved it (although she was freaked by a rapist on the loose until he was caught). I do think that a woman alone can be vulnerable anywhere, depending on what she does and who she meets. I've heard women say that they "should" be able to travel alone wherever they want to, but the hard reality is that what they "should" be able to do in idealistic theory doesn't mean it's safe. JMO

Yes, she did express an interest in Havasupai, and I agree that she might have made a poor choice to go with someone she met. I hadn't heard the story you posted. Tragic.

The text she sent her mother replying that she had changed her plans about catching the plane is so out of character that I think it was sent by whoever she had been with.

I just have to say there is nothing wrong with Flagstaff making you uncomfortable. I hope it didn't come off that way! You are such a treat to have on the boards, always so polite and knowledgeable.

I go back and forth in my head what may have happened to Diana. The Grand Canyon area is just so big and remote, she could have had a simple accident with no one around to see or hear. Or she easily could have "befriended" another traveler for companionship, trip tips, transportation.. anything.

I also agree with you about the text, it did seem so out of character. I truly hope there is some sort of resolution to this case. Soon!

I just have to say there is nothing wrong with Flagstaff making you uncomfortable. I hope it didn't come off that way! You are such a treat to have on the boards, always so polite and knowledgeable.

I go back and forth in my head what may have happened to Diana. The Grand Canyon area is just so big and remote, she could have had a simple accident with no one around to see or hear. Or she easily could have "befriended" another traveler for companionship, trip tips, transportation.. anything.

I also agree with you about the text, it did seem so out of character. I truly hope there is some sort of resolution to this case. Soon!
BBM

It didn't come off that way at all! No worries. And thank you for your kind comment. :)

I just hope there is some sort of investigation in Flagstaff too, and not just the Grand Canyon. Because of the strange text, I think a person was involved in her disappearance rather than an accident. She appears naive, small and vulnerable to me, so I can imagine someone zeroing in on that at a local pub or coffee house, insistently offering to show her around, and Diana agreeing rather than offend the person by turning him down.

I can't even imagine the torture her parents are going through. :(

This is terribly sad. Praying and sending thoughts of strength and comfort to Diana and her poor parents! I wish there was some kind of news.

Though the Grand Canyon area is big, parts of it are not truly remote as they are visited by millions of people.

A hiker with many years of experience stated that the main tourist ovrelooks and trails along the south rim are heavily visited and heavily hiked. An attack on a woman that is not seen or heard by others would be very difficult. Most suicides as well as 'slip and falls' are seen going over. If they are not seen, the quick activities of carrion birds (morbid, but part of nature) make the bodies easy to find.

Though Diana stated that she wanted to venture into the canyon where there are far less people, the hiker also stated that the trail she intended to use is used regularly by hiking hobbyists and is also not truly remote by Canyon standards. My guess is that her remains would have been found. Likewise, hikers on the trail at that time would have reported seeing her, or seeing a suspiscious person(s).

The hiker and other posters mentioned, that unlike some of the National Forests or BLM land in Socal that I am familar with, the Grand Canyon does not have a population of resident squatters, drifters, druggees and parolees. Likewise, though I am sure that not everyone going to the Grand Canyon National Park is an amazing human being, knowledgable posters have stated that problems from criminal tourists are extrememly rare.

In short, I am guessing she is not in the Park. Maybe Flagstaff, as others have mentioned, is the key?

I just can't believe NOONE saw her. Has there been anyone to come forward and say yes, I saw her on such and such day? Or someone who might have a picture where she is in the background? We know she was at the Grand Canyon, because of her selfie. Did she sign into hotels? Anything?

That last text is chilling. I think she has been taken or is no longer with us, unfortunately.

Where are you, Diana? I still think about you everyday.

I just can't believe NOONE saw her. Has there been anyone to come forward and say yes, I saw her on such and such day? Or someone who might have a picture where she is in the background? We know she was at the Grand Canyon, because of her selfie. Did she sign into hotels? Anything?

That last text is chilling. I think she has been taken or is no longer with us, unfortunately.

Where are you, Diana? I still think about you everyday.
BBM

This comment about Diana possibly being in the background of someone's photo makes me think about what was done when John Beck went missing in February. There was a way to search Instagram posts in a date range for a certain location. This was done for John and a photo of him was found that was taken at Land's End in SF the day he disappeared. Sadly, no one is known to have seen him since.
https://www.facebook.com/findjohnbe...2750541891000/583988665100521/?type=3&theater

I just checked to see how to do it and the app they used "GramFeed" can't be used anymore because of some changes made on Instagram June 1. Ugh. I wish I'd thought of this sooner!
http://www.gramfeed.com

However, GramFeed has now become Picodash and seems to do the same thing. I don't use Instagram, so I can't sign up and use it, but perhaps someone here can. The date range should extend well past the time Diana was at the Grand Canyon because people often don't post their photos immediately.
https://www.picodash.com

Here is a document explaining how to search for John using GramFeed. Perhaps these instructions could be adapted for Diana using Picodash.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UestnVqzB5hkMBjHSaLs8KqkcmA8lk0yIHRuJ5enAHs/mobilebasic?pli=1

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ameda-9-February-2016&p=12359645#post12359645

BBM

This comment about Diana possibly being in the background of someone's photo makes me think about what was done when John Beck went missing in February. There was a way to search Instagram posts in a date range for a certain location. This was done for John and a photo of him was found that was taken at Land's End in SF the day he disappeared. Sadly, no one is known to have seen him since.
https://www.facebook.com/findjohnbe...2750541891000/583988665100521/?type=3&theater

I just checked to see how to do it and the app they used "GramFeed" can't be used anymore because of some changes made on Instagram June 1. Ugh. I wish I'd thought of this sooner!
http://www.gramfeed.com

However, GramFeed has now become Picodash and seems to do the same thing. I don't use Instagram, so I can't sign up and use it, but perhaps someone here can.
https://www.picodash.com

Here is a document explaining how to search for John using GramFeed. Perhaps these instructions could be adapted for Diana using Picodash.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UestnVqzB5hkMBjHSaLs8KqkcmA8lk0yIHRuJ5enAHs/mobilebasic?pli=1

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ameda-9-February-2016&p=12359645#post12359645

This is such a good idea! I do not have Instagram, either or I would look.

Just a couple of observations. I grew up in Flagstaff and there is a huge difference for those who live there and those who visit. The people who live there are just like everyone else. Flagstaff also has a huge transient population. I do not mean homeless, although there are those also. What I am taking about are those who stay there overnight or for a few days. They are both tourists and travelers. When I lived there, and I assume that it is the same still, the police would go through the hotel parking lots running tag numbers. They had an extraordinary high number of warrant arrests, car thieves and drug trafficker arrests due to that practice. The point is that while most tourists and locals are normal people there are some especially bad people that you can run into, especially at the hotels and certain other establishments that could give that "sketchy" vibe as described by a previous poster.

The father's report regarding the itinerary initially appeared useless because it is impossible to hike the Bright Angel Trail and visit Havasupai Village. A quick internet search provides a possible explanation for the confusing itinerary. The Wikipedia page for the Bright Angel Trail mentions that the Havasupai people created the upper part of the Bright Angel Trail when they would live part of the year at Garden Creek aka Indian Garden Campground.

The Bright Angel Trail hike from the rim to Indian Gardens and back in one day is very popular with tourists because it is just under 10 miles round trip, is an excellently maintained trail and if you are not staying over night no permit is required. Although never as a day trip, I have hiked the bright Angel Trail many times. Hiking down is quite easy but going back up can be difficult due to the 3000 ft elevation change. It would be even more difficult for someone from Louisiana due to the overall altitude. (the Rim is 6860 ft in elevation) Many people unaccustomed to the high altitude can underestimate the difficulty. Also, weather can be a concern. I have hiked that trail where it was in the 70's at Indian Gardens and snowing on the rim. More than once I have seen hikers suffering hypothermia on that trail because they felt warm while they were hiking but failed to realize how cold it had gotten. When they stopped for a break they either didn't have a coat or failed to put it on and their body temperature crashes in just a few minutes. Luckily, it is a heavily traveled trail and as was mentioned earlier, an excellently marked and maintained trail. Even if she had difficulty it is unlikely that she got off trail, or had a medical emergency that was not noticed by other hikers or park rangers.

My guess is that she underestimated how long the hike was going to take her. When she got back to the shuttle stop she was later than she had hoped and fearful that she may not make it back to Flagstaff on time. So either she mentioned that to someone or was simply doing what people do when they are late and waiting for a bus. (Kept checking the time and the schedule...looking down the road to see if it is coming...) Either way someone offered her a ride and she accepted.

Thinking about it, this would be a good spot for a predator, hike from the rim to the 1.6 mile resthouse, strike up casual conversation with the other hikers at the resthouse. Wait for someone who mentions or appears they are in a hurry. Hike the last 1.6 miles out with them, share some water if they are running low... Then once at the top and some rapport has been built they offer a ride. The earlier conversation on the trail makes them no longer seem like a stranger and the victim accepts the ride... It capitalizes on the fact that true hikers are very good people that are always willing to provide help to those they encounter in need. By posing as a fellow hiker it places the victim in a position of vulnerability because the predator is going to act in a way that is completely contrary to their past experience.

I doubt that she ever got back to Flagstaff. Her final text is the most telling, that it was not sent by her. "No, I am not going". That is just not what I would expect from a successful engineering student. Engineers are trained to communicate accurately. That means they state what is, not what is not. A statement of negation is too vague, it leaves too many possibilities to have acceptable accuracy in the engineering world. What I would expect would be I am late...changed plans...something that accurately describes what she is doing, not what she is not doing.

:greetings: Welcome and thanks so much for the great first post, Monkey King. It was very informative and fits the information we have. Not knowing the trail, I can see that it's just as likely that she ran into someone with bad intentions there as in Flagstaff. The timing would work.

I agree that the text is bogus. I can't imagine Diana replying that way to her mother's inquiry. Your points how an engineering student would answer make it even more likely that it was someone else texting on her phone.

Keep posting!

This is such a good idea! I do not have Instagram, either or I would look.
I have Instagram and may have some free time while waiting for my son's car.
I will at least attempt it.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Just a couple of observations. I grew up in Flagstaff and there is a huge difference for those who live there and those who visit. The people who live there are just like everyone else. Flagstaff also has a huge transient population. I do not mean homeless, although there are those also. What I am taking about are those who stay there overnight or for a few days. They are both tourists and travelers. When I lived there, and I assume that it is the same still, the police would go through the hotel parking lots running tag numbers. They had an extraordinary high number of warrant arrests, car thieves and drug trafficker arrests due to that practice. The point is that while most tourists and locals are normal people there are some especially bad people that you can run into, especially at the hotels and certain other establishments that could give that "sketchy" vibe as described by a previous poster.

The father's report regarding the itinerary initially appeared useless because it is impossible to hike the Bright Angel Trail and visit Havasupai Village. A quick internet search provides a possible explanation for the confusing itinerary. The Wikipedia page for the Bright Angel Trail mentions that the Havasupai people created the upper part of the Bright Angel Trail when they would live part of the year at Garden Creek aka Indian Garden Campground.

The Bright Angel Trail hike from the rim to Indian Gardens and back in one day is very popular with tourists because it is just under 10 miles round trip, is an excellently maintained trail and if you are not staying over night no permit is required. Although never as a day trip, I have hiked the bright Angel Trail many times. Hiking down is quite easy but going back up can be difficult due to the 3000 ft elevation change. It would be even more difficult for someone from Louisiana due to the overall altitude. (the Rim is 6860 ft in elevation) Many people unaccustomed to the high altitude can underestimate the difficulty. Also, weather can be a concern. I have hiked that trail where it was in the 70's at Indian Gardens and snowing on the rim. More than once I have seen hikers suffering hypothermia on that trail because they felt warm while they were hiking but failed to realize how cold it had gotten. When they stopped for a break they either didn't have a coat or failed to put it on and their body temperature crashes in just a few minutes. Luckily, it is a heavily traveled trail and as was mentioned earlier, an excellently marked and maintained trail. Even if she had difficulty it is unlikely that she got off trail, or had a medical emergency that was not noticed by other hikers or park rangers.

My guess is that she underestimated how long the hike was going to take her. When she got back to the shuttle stop she was later than she had hoped and fearful that she may not make it back to Flagstaff on time. So either she mentioned that to someone or was simply doing what people do when they are late and waiting for a bus. (Kept checking the time and the schedule...looking down the road to see if it is coming...) Either way someone offered her a ride and she accepted.

Thinking about it, this would be a good spot for a predator, hike from the rim to the 1.6 mile resthouse, strike up casual conversation with the other hikers at the resthouse. Wait for someone who mentions or appears they are in a hurry. Hike the last 1.6 miles out with them, share some water if they are running low... Then once at the top and some rapport has been built they offer a ride. The earlier conversation on the trail makes them no longer seem like a stranger and the victim accepts the ride... It capitalizes on the fact that true hikers are very good people that are always willing to provide help to those they encounter in need. By posing as a fellow hiker it places the victim in a position of vulnerability because the predator is going to act in a way that is completely contrary to their past experience.

I doubt that she ever got back to Flagstaff. Her final text is the most telling, that it was not sent by her. "No, I am not going". That is just not what I would expect from a successful engineering student. Engineers are trained to communicate accurately. That means they state what is, not what is not. A statement of negation is too vague, it leaves too many possibilities to have acceptable accuracy in the engineering world. What I would expect would be I am late...changed plans...something that accurately describes what she is doing, not what she is not doing.
Great write up Monkey King! Sad, though.

Sent from my SCH-I545

I have Instagram and may have some free time while waiting for my son's car.
I will at least attempt it.

Sent from my SCH-I545
It costs to use. It does say free trial and cancel at it anytime...I am a little wary of places like that as they sometimes seem impossible to cancel. I am hoping someone else will be willing to subscribe or is already and has Instagram.

Sent from my SCH-I545

It costs to use. It does say free trial and cancel at it anytime...I am a little wary of places like that as they sometimes seem impossible to cancel. I am hoping someone else will be willing to subscribe or is already and has Instagram.

Sent from my SCH-I545

I'm the same way about signing up for stuff like that. They can make life so complicated when you want to stop. But thanks for thinking about doing it! I got the feeling that the new app is for businesses, etc, unlike GramFeed. I suspect Instagram was trying to tighten up privacy when they changed things June, which is a good thing, except when you're looking for a missing person!

The Bright Angel Trail hike from the rim to Indian Gardens and back in one day is very popular with tourists because it is just under 10 miles round trip, is an excellently maintained trail and if you are not staying over night no permit is required. Although never as a day trip, I have hiked the bright Angel Trail many times. Hiking down is quite easy but going back up can be difficult due to the 3000 ft elevation change. It would be even more difficult for someone from Louisiana due to the overall altitude. (the Rim is 6860 ft in elevation) Many people unaccustomed to the high altitude can underestimate the difficulty.

How many people are on Bright Angel daily during the spring? Most hikers are male and males tend to notice women in the general sense, espescially when they are attractive. In addition, Diana would have stood out even more as she was possibly hiking alone and not really prepared for a ten mile desert hike and could have started to struggle. Yet, nobody has reported seeing her on Bright Angel, either alone or with a "friend".

Excellent observation.

Just learned of this missing person.

My gut tells me one of two things happened....she went hiking and got lost or had an accident or she decided to leave on her own. We don't know what is "out of character" for her. We don't know what her life was like. For all we know, she could have wanted to "disappear" for a long time and finally did it. Typically, people will keep that side of themselves hidden from loved ones. So it's really hard to say what she would or would do. Or what kind of text she would not send.

Sent from my SCH-I545

If I'm wrong about this assumption, please correct me, but you're talking about Instagram, correct? If so, it's a free app . I have instagram and have had it for several years and have never been asked to pay for anything. Maybe you found the wrong app?

Sent from my SCH-I545

I also meant to add, but couldn't edit my post, that if anyone wants me to check on something on instagram, I have no problem doing so. Just let me know what/who to look for 😊

I believe they are talking about using an app called Picodash to search Instagram photos.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back