Found Deceased AZ - Diana Zacarias, 22, Grand Canyon, 2 April 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Unless the medical examiner rules otherwise, suicide or accidental fall seems most likely. Given her last text, the former more than the latter.

I found a lot of information in Google books on suicides in Grand Canyon National Park in a book called "Suicide as Performance Art." (https://books.google.com/books?id=r...5#v=onepage&q=suicide in grand canyon&f=false) They discussed some ways that suicides in GCNP are outliers compared to other natural areas. Most occur in the off season of October to March, most are jumps/falling and often from public viewpoints like Pima Point (although only 2 suicides have been reported there, other points rank higher).

One of the prior suicides at that viewpoint, the body wasnt discovered for two years.

Regardless of what happened, it is sad.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I wonder if the last text came from someone who found her phone? ...maybe she dropped it when she fell or was trying to retrieve it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BBM ... What does "suicidal" look like exactly?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I don't know the answer to that question. But I felt her smile in that photo looked genuinely happy to me, not faked, not strained. It would be hard for me to believe someone looking so joyful would go and kill themselves just hours later.

I don't know the answer to that question. But I felt her smile in that photo looked genuinely happy to me, not faked, not strained. It would be hard for me to believe someone looking so joyful would go and kill themselves just hours later.

Unfortunately, I don't think everyone that is suicidal "looks" it. This could have been something she wanted to see before she ended her life and she was so excited she actually made it. I try to remember "you can't judge a book by its cover."

But I am leaning towards an accident. To me, it doesn't seem like she put much thought or planning into her trip. She saw some pretty pictures online and just wanted to get out there.

MOO.

She would be the first recorded accidental fall from Pima Point.

It occured to me she could have bought the postcards to write a note... she may have been smiling because she was happy to finally be achieving her goal of seeing the canyon and carrying out a plan, if that is in fact what happened.

I have wondered of she had any chronic health problems? She is very small framed and they mentioned one scar on the back of her neck.

I feel so badly for her parents and friends. Still, how would he ha prevented his 22yo daughter from taking this trip?

It may be very difficult to determine if this was suicide or accidental, ultimately. I was hoping for a better outcome for this one. 😔

It is important to recgonize that suicidal people may not be obviously in distress prior to an attempt. Found a couple of short articles online discussing this.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/suicide-often-not-preceded-by-warnings-201209245331

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/compassion-matters/200906/suicide-the-warning-signs

From the second link:
"Positive mood change. Just before a suicide attempt, when the individual has made the decision to kill herself, she may appear much calmer, happier and more relaxed. That's because she is no longer in turmoil. Suicide seems like the "perfect solution." As one survivor remembers: "Got in the car, elated, very happy because I was going to end the pain. I'm going to end the pain. I was going to go the bridge and I was going to jump." Often, family and friends become less worried about the person at risk."

But I am leaning towards an accident. To me, it doesn't seem like she put much thought or planning into her trip. She saw some pretty pictures online and just wanted to get out there.

MOO.

Overall, suicide by jumping would seem to be rare among women -no? I always picture suicidal women as wanting to just "go to sleep". They then tend to use pills, instead of jumping or shooting.

In short, I am thinking accident as well. Maybe she wanted to experience the view up close with out guard rails or other people. She then avoids other view lookers and goes to a more isolated over look. Getting to close, she accidently goes over. It is a sad ending, but given the other accidental falls, not unheard of.

Overall, suicide by jumping would seem to be rare among women -no? I always picture suicidal women as wanting to just "go to sleep". They then tend to use pills, instead of jumping or shooting.

In short, I am thinking accident as well. Maybe she wanted to experience the view up close with out guard rails or other people. She then avoids other view lookers and goes to a more isolated over look. Getting to close, she accidently goes over. It is a sad ending, but given the other accidental falls, not unheard of.
So from the stats I can find, jumping is one of the least common methods in the US although obviously much more common for suicides in the GC. I can't find any stats for men vs women but the general theme is that women tend to pick less violent methods than men.

I didn't realize her parents drove to Grand Canyon immediately when they didn't hear from her and were at the airport in Arizona to see her actual flight. Wasn't it reported that she sent a text saying she wasn't coming home?

http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/new...-natchitoches-woman-diana-zacarias-speaks-out

They knew something was wrong when they didn't hear from her that Saturday night and into Sunday. After frustrating calls between park rangers they said were not getting them anywhere they decided to drive throughout the night from Natchitoches to Arizona.

"We were feeling like we were basically on our own," Alejandro said.

They arrived at the airport in Arizona to catch the plane she was supposed to be on. When they saw she didn’t walk through the gates they immediately filed an official missing persons report with the police.

I didn't realize her parents drove to Grand Canyon immediately when they didn't hear from her and were at the airport in Arizona to see her actual flight. Wasn't it reported that she sent a text saying she wasn't coming home?

http://www.arklatexhomepage.com/new...-natchitoches-woman-diana-zacarias-speaks-out

They knew something was wrong when they didn't hear from her that Saturday night and into Sunday. After frustrating calls between park rangers they said were not getting them anywhere they decided to drive throughout the night from Natchitoches to Arizona.

"We were feeling like we were basically on our own," Alejandro said.

They arrived at the airport in Arizona to catch the plane she was supposed to be on. When they saw she didn’t walk through the gates they immediately filed an official missing persons report with the police.

Well, I'm glad she's apparently be found. It sounds like her parents kept in constant contact with her. I would prefer to see the complete sequence of texts, before drawing any conclusions about that last one that's been reported, it may have been interpreted out of context by the confused and grieving parents.

I was tempted to comment earlier about that facebook heading/photo she posted 'Adventure is out there'. To me it indicates she was very excited by her visit to GC, and I can imagine especially if she had been kept on a pretty short leash until then, it could feel intoxicating to have challenged herself to take a solo trip and succeeded. My strong feeling is that in that state of mind, an inexperienced person can be tempted to take a major risk without realizing the danger, for example to climb to what seems like a better viewpoint.

Well, FWIW, I have little first hand experience with suicidal patients, other than some training and volunteer work for a crisis center hotline, and as a psych major and former RN. And, that's only been a few short...ahemm.... years ago :rolleyes: . But as I recall, some suicidal patients can appear happier and more at peace once they make the decision to follow through. That's why, if someone has been suicidal in the past, you must be very aware and on guard if you notice a change in their mood from down and depressed, to happy and cheerful. This is sometimes a sign that they are planning to do themselves in. Don't ask for anything that sounds like a logical explanation, because there really isn't one, other than, in their mind they have found peace; they are relieved; they see the light at the end of the tunnel. And / Or, perhaps they've just gotten a big boost of energy from that new psychotropic antidepressant med. to finish themselves off. ( please forgive me for being so blunt ). Regardless, it never makes sense to their loved ones and family, or even to us here. What it is really about is how they feel, that is everything. I truly think that is key. It appears that in these cases, that their feelings over ride their cognitive ability to think rationally, logically, or objectively. So due to this, it causes their view of themselves and their lives to often be at odds with reality. No doubt, the way brain chemistry works is mind boggling. I believe that suicide, just as schizophrenia, is a serious mind altering disease. I haven't kept up much, but maybe something close to this has already been documented, idk. So, FWIW, it's JMO.

All of that said, I'm not saying I think she committed suicide, I have no idea. But I do have questions as to how / why would a young, healthy (as far as we know) person go that close to the edge of a cliff, especially when alone ? And just accidentally fall ? I hate to have to admitt it, but I have a hard time believing it. Just a for instance, when my family and I used to backpack, which we did for quite a few years, (now this was in the olden days ;) ) I, my DH, and my son always made a point to stay away from the edges of cliffs and stay in the middle of the trails. Our experience, the view isn't any better on the edge of a cliff, unless you want to risk your life. :( So, IMO, no person in their right mind would go to the edge of a cliff .... unless they want to "fall" off. :(

I'm totally with you here, I know how disheartening it is, I was shocked to check back in and find her remains had been found. It's very hard for me personally to process, and to understand within myself. I was so hoping she had just gone off on her own to "find" herself, or maybe she just needed to break away, needed to feel a little more independent. This is so disheartening and beyond heartbreaking. Bless her dear, sweet parents. :cry:

I noticed this story last month: two tourists died on the same day in Peru when they each fell trying to take selfies. https://www.rt.com/viral/349543-tourists-plunge-selfie-deaths/

I hope they can recover her camera and reconsruct her movements from it.

While I agree a suicidal person can be calm and content after making a decicion to end their misery, I don't think that contentedness normally extends to taking scenic photos and buying souvenirs. Both those actions reflect a desire to capture the current experiences to enjoy later, back home. However, possibly she was overcome by some kind of despair later on. Either way, very sad that her life has been lost with so much before her.

@neesaki, you are quite right. I have seen it mentioned in threads here that depressed people seemed to be more content and focused in the days before they went out to commit suicide, Leanne Bearden comes to mind.

We might never know whether Diana jumped or fell. Hopefully they can recover her belongings and that might give a clue. Especially for her parents' sake who must be so tormented.

Satchie, yes I also thought of the "selfie gone wrong" scenario. It's quite likely imo.

So sad, I've followed this since the start.

At least the parents mind can be slightly at ease, but the heartbreak must be terrible. For whatever the reason of her death, lets hope she is at peace.

I noticed this story last month: two tourists died on the same day in Peru when they each fell trying to take selfies. https://www.rt.com/viral/349543-tourists-plunge-selfie-deaths/

I hope they can recover her camera and reconsruct her movements from it.

While I agree a suicidal person can be calm and content after making a decicion to end their misery, I don't think that contentedness normally extends to taking scenic photos and buying souvenirs. Both those actions reflect a desire to capture the current experiences to enjoy later, back home. However, possibly she was overcome by some kind of despair later on. Either way, very sad that her life has been lost with so much before her.

Amazing that someone would set their common sense and survival instincts aside .... assuming they have any.... and risk their life for a selfie. Not to offend anyone, but IMO this whole selfie business has gotten to the point of ridiculous anyway. JMO

Amazing that someone would set their common sense and survival instincts aside .... assuming they have any.... and risk their life for a selfie. Not to offend anyone, but IMO this whole selfie business has gotten to the point of ridiculous anyway. JMO

I agree. So many people have died taking a selfie, it would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

I will say from having just visited the Grand Canyon, I was amazed at the sheer numbers of people who disregarded signs, fencing and barriers to get out on rocks and such on the canyon rim. I think people get intoxicated by the natural beauty, a sense of invincibility, and emboldened when they see other visitors doing it.

Having said that, my recollection of Pima Point is that there was not much opportunity to get around the fence railing and onto the rocks, it was a more sheer drop. I will revisit my pictures. Even if true, the Rim trail running too and from the point may give easier access. I do know part of the Rim Trail had fencing off in the woods with "Danger" signs attached.

I believe Google Street View actually mapped a lot of the trails at the GC of you want to get a feel for the area yourself.

Here is a great street view from Pima Point, you can see the railing, and follow the road/path along the point to see that the railing is pretty continuous along the observation point.
https://goo.gl/maps/yyzPT4e5QSt

Now, if you keep walking to the west, past the shuttle bus stop, you can see the fencing continues, as does the overlook. It is one of the bigger overlooks along the Hermit Road.
https://goo.gl/maps/tTjpbmB8JMC2

Once you get to the edge of the observation point, that protective railing abruptly stops.
https://goo.gl/maps/SbDqnwRkBmq

Then all along the western rim next to Pima Point, the rim is easily accessible. If you look to the left there is a trail marker for the Rim Trail.
https://goo.gl/maps/hc5CDfFSSLH2

In fact, I continued down the Rim Trail to the west in street view and picked the point that looked closest to the canyon rim, and low and behold even in the street view, there is an older couple standing what looks to be inches from the canyon rim. Spooky.
https://goo.gl/maps/32iLW4GABwq

I even found a couple of user submitted "photo spheres" in Street View that seem to show people sitting right on or near the edge, off the Rim Trail, to the west of the overlook. These views are beautiful, and I can testify the photos don't do them justice - the real life experience is even more majestic and overwhelming... but one misstep, one mistake, and they would be over the edge.
https://goo.gl/maps/pmoPydEWfpP2
https://goo.gl/maps/7bQGrbXt3RR2

Thank you for putting this together docbh! It's breathtaking, and it does look dangerous. This is the last thing she saw of this earth ...

I was wondering, could she have been climbing on the railing, or leaning over them to get a better look down, or trying to sit on them?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back