AZ - Gabriel Johnson, 8 months, 26 Dec 2009 - last seen in Texas - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But these phones still hit cell towers, right? If a person uses one to make a call to another cell phone, won't the towers pick up the number, on that person's phone records? Is there any way to trace that number to at least the type of phone it is? Maybe?
Yes, they do ping off other companies towers. That's about all I know. The whole ping thing is still somewhat a mystery to me. (I suck at geometry, so 9 times out of 10, I get lost at the first mention of "Triangulate". I know if someone called in to a phone that keeps records, it will show on their records. But they would have to know the number of the prepay phone to match it. Since most prepay phones are refurbished phones that were originally from another company, it may show up as the original company (Sprint, ATT, whatever). I'm not sure on that part.
My cell phone knowledge is limited to the certainty that if I don't pay the bill every 2nd, I won't have a cell phone on the 3rd.

ETA: My mom has TracFone and when she calls me, it comes up on my phone record as "MI Cellular". It comes up the same way for my friend Paul, who has a Net10 (Almost like TracFone). I don't know how it would look from other companies.

But these phones still hit cell towers, right? If a person uses one to make a call to another cell phone, won't the towers pick up the number, on that person's phone records? Is there any way to trace that number to at least the type of phone it is? Maybe?

There must be. But I don't think TracFone ever even asked my name.

even though the phone is not registered in someone's name. The phone number would register on the phones they called. Thus meaning the babysitter's phone should have that number on it.

Wonder if Le can track all calls made from it once they get the phone number?

I wonder.. It would seem TS would think it in her best interest to get EJ home, before she was "found out" right?? Scared EJ might rat her out.

Sooo, why isn't EJ ratting her out?? If TS holds a key why would EJ keep quite??

either EJ killed Gabe, and like she said, it will do her no good to tell.

Or, She still thinks TS is her friend... Someone should inform EJ that she is getting left under the bus, I say left, because she threw herself there.

Yes, good post!

Just because you have an untraceable phone (you think) doesn't mean they cannot identify you by establishing your number from those you called or called you, like TPS, Logan, etc.

They can also scan the cell tower records in the area of the hotels and pick out your number. Once they have your number they can locate you and identify the type of phone etc.

All calls will be logged and they can cross-index everyone involved -- takes a little time though. The more you use it the more likely you can be identified.

even though the phone is not registered in someone's name. The phone number would register on the phones they called. Thus meaning the babysitter's phone should have that number on it.

Wonder if Le can track all calls made from it once they get the phone number?

They work just like any other mobile phone. Most of them even use the top 5 carriers. Yes if they have "A" number they can track the pings and subpoena the records.

Getting the number may be a bit difficult though. IMO they would at least have to know where she bought it, if she did get one? IDK.. JMO.

I'm in Canada, but would think it would be the same in the States.

The pay-as-you-go phones are sold by a cell phone company. Mine was purchased at Walmart, but needed to be activated through Virgin Mobile. The only thing they require is the serial number on your phone (can be done over the internet or calling the 800 number). If I wanted to switch cell companies, I would need to get a new phone. I don't know much about SIM cards, but I don't believe they have them in pre-paid phones. I need a virgin mobile phone card to add minutes to the phone. The phone pings off Virgin towers here (which leaves me SOL if i'm in the States).

Anyhow, if EJ was using a pay as you go phone and LE was able to locate the number through Tammi's phone records, I would think they would be able to trace it through the cell company.

ETA: Maybe one of you could peek at the phones next time you're in Walmart (or somewhere) and see if there is a cell co. name on the package.

bbm~

See, I don't believe that she would only talk to the Smiths either. That's one of the reasons I believe (moo :)) that she had no intentions of relinquishing custody to anyone until after she and Logan split. IIRC, she hadn't made contact TS until 5 or 6 mths after their original 'airport meeting' and @ that time it was either during, right before or right after the split. Then possibly realized that she (thus Gabriel, who then would go straight to Logan) could be traced to them and took off for SA. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think EJ even cared enough to look for another couple to give him to, that would have taken more effort than she was willing to make and she took what was for her (and that IS ALL that matters to her, imho) was the easiest way out..:(.. all jmo and what I believe possibly happened ..

Sad to say, I have to agree, given what we've heard of her 'mothering' from before she was on the run.

And then there's the thing about her just leaving behind her hotel room, with all of baby Gabe's stuff just sitting in it, walking next door, and starting over in a clean fresh room with a new id and a new life.

When I think about how I would treasure that baby blanket, etc, if I had just lost my precious child...... but I think she was devoid of soul and completely about herself at that point (and sticking it to Logan for refusing to be manipulated by her anymore).

I think Tammi sent her to SA to try to change jurisdictions over custody. Perhaps this is what EJ's appt was about. No one other than the babysitter has come forth to say they met with her that day. I think someone did.

I also think TPS thrived on the drama of it all. A desperate mother with an adorable baby falling right on her lap must have been pretty exciting for someone as obsessed as she is. The legal hearings, the running away, the calls to/from Logan, and Tammi right in the middle of it. Like a game. She LOVED it!! She wanted to play the hero at all costs. I think she has told so many lies that will come out once the computer files are investigated. I have already noticed her spinning new stories around info she knows investigators will retrieve (like possible searches for "how to get a new SS#" or "how to change jurisdiction" MOO)

**There is a case here in the OC (it's actually my boyfriends boss!) where the mother made molestation allegations to gain sole custody but when she could not get any corroboration from a variety of therapists, she moved to Texas and a day later opened up a new case there against him. When that failed as well and she needed to give custody to his sister pending the final order, her and her mother killed the 2 little girls and committed suicide. They termed it "court shopping". Maybe TSP told EJ to try the same thing.

You know what bothers me about this 8 month old is that he wasn't sitting up yet or crawling. I find that very unusual. I've had 2 children and of those, I have 6 grandchildren. They were all sitting up on their own long before 8 months if not sitting up AND crawling. Anyone else find that curious?

I think he should have been sitting at least a little bit if propped up. None of those last pics even show him trying to sit while leaning forward on his arms or being propped with pillows.

not sure if I missed this being posted but the NG transcripts are up

"MCQUEARY: She basically told me that if we`re not going to be together and have a family, then neither of us are going to have him. I said, Well, where`s Gabriel? And she said, You know where he`s at, I already told you. And I asked, Where is he? And she said that, I stuffed him in a diaper bag and he suffocated, and I put him in a diaper bag and put him in a dumpster."

did he misspeak? Was she saying he suffocated while in the bag??

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1001/19/ng.01.html

Was the diaper bag ever found?

One thing that got me was how giddy Tammi looked on NG. Like she was full of excitement. Originally it made me think that she knew Gabriel was ok. Now i'm not so sure.

I think he should have been sitting at least a little bit if propped up. None of those last pics even show him trying to sit while leaning forward on his arms or being propped with pillows.

He was pushing up on his arms quite well. If he was sick, he likely wouldn't want to sit up.
I don't know what to think. I don't see them as a reason to lose hope.

not sure if I missed this being posted but the NG transcripts are up

"MCQUEARY: She basically told me that if we`re not going to be together and have a family, then neither of us are going to have him. I said, Well, where`s Gabriel? And she said, You know where he`s at, I already told you. And I asked, Where is he? And she said that, I stuffed him in a diaper bag and he suffocated, and I put him in a diaper bag and put him in a dumpster."

did he misspeak? Was she saying he suffocated while in the bad??

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1001/19/ng.01.html

That puts a whole new spin on it. A bad one.

The information about cell phones from everyone was very enlightening, thank you to all who responded and it reinforces my belief that she probably did give it away to someone in the bus station. Like it has been pointed out, LE has only confirmed that EJ was not in Victoria but they didn't say anything about the phone. So if that cell ping information is correct, it must have happened sometime after EJ was already on the bus on her way to Ft Lauderdale which is how LE knows that she wasn't there. And the fact that LE may be asking for someone to come forward who may have sold her the phone (as per an earlier post...sorry I can't remember what page it was on) might also indicate that they don't have it. I would have to think that if they did, there should be a serial number or something on it that they could trace to where it was sold from.

So it probably was one of those throw away type phones and I have no idea why she would have an IPOD charger other than the fact that she may have had an IPOD and just forgot to bring the charger with her to Florida?

Thanks for that information. So you don't have to show ID to get a phone number for that phone? Anyone can just buy a pay as you go phone, with a number, without any identification? And no one can ever trace that phone activity or who the phone number belongs to? That's kind of a scary thought. I had no idea. :waitasec:

They are good phones as well. You can by a prepaid Verizon phone at Walmart and Target for about 20.00 and it comes with 10.00 worth of air time. You can go online with it for .99 a day. You reload it by buying time cards all over. I bought one as DH's is a company phone and I don't use one all that often as we have a landline. The phone is Samsung. Has a camera and all. You don't have to provide any id, you don't have to register the phone (although I did register mine with my name and all). You buy it and then charge it and can activate it in a minute or two.

I can't understand how she could fit Gabriel in a diaper bag.

I can't understand how she could fit Gabriel in a diaper bag.

I know. And athis is scary to hear...to think it might be true.

On the other hand.... it might make her story less credible?

For a second I was thinking maybe she meant she suffocated him with the plastic bag the diapers came in, but the wording isn't right. he wouldn't fit in that... unless it was a costco type jumbo pack?

I did some vastly unscientific research into the clothes Analisa said EJ was wearing:

I asked my 22 year old son how many girls his age go around Tempe in tight jeans, stiletto heels and shirts that show their tummy?

He said rain or shine, winter or summer that about 75 percent of them seem to dress like that. Now, I don't know if his figure's accurate, or if he just notices them more than I would, lol. But he didn't seem to think EJ's attire was unusual for her age. Skanky, yet, but unusual, no.

I have 24 year old daughter. She is a mom and expecting another. She and all of her friends dress this way. I'm all the time warning them about projecting unappropriately, if you know what I mean. LOL that just laugh and say its the way everyone dresses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste