AZ - Isabel Mercedes Celis, 6, Tucson, 20 April 2012 - # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, I would be on every show everyday to make sure my child's name and picture is all over the place. Nuts!

Especially since the parents made a point of saying that they "would never stop looking for Isabel".

I think people are nervous in advance of it happening, i.e. that coverage will soon slow down as it appears that LE is kind of stumped...JMO

But someone who works for TV News commented about why this case wasn't receiving much national coverage. Maybe they have different "standards" for what is considered a significant amount of coverage due to the industry they're in. And someone else replied that the case reminds them of JonBenet, but with less coverage, but I feel like if the bar is set that high for media attention, you're never going to be satisfied. I think the more media attention the better, but I think right now, Isa's case is doing pretty well in that respect.

But someone who works for TV News commented about why this case wasn't receiving much national coverage. Maybe they have different "standards" for what is considered a significant amount of coverage due to the industry they're in. And someone else replied that the case reminds them of JonBenet, but with less coverage, but I feel like if the bar is set that high for media attention, you're never going to be satisfied. I think the more media attention the better, but I think right now, Isa's case is doing pretty well in that respect.

I agree it is getting a lot of attention, especially considering that LE is only concentrating on a 3-mile radius as far as searching...

I don't understand LE not having interviewed all 5 people-weren't they together? Wouldn't each one know the names of the other 5 and give the info to LE? This should have been done days ago, IMO...

KGUN-TV in Tucson reported yesterday that "Tucson police say they've talked with at least three of five people captured on video walking near a home where a 6-year-old Tucson girl vanished."

http://www.kgun9.com/news/local/149436095.html

:blushing: Oops - Sorry, Dr. Know? . Your post wasn't up when I began typing mine.

PD talks to 3 seen in video in girl's search

http://www.kpho.com/story/17859643/pd-talks-to-3-seen-in-video-in-girls-search

Sunday PM: Police Interview 3 Near Isabel's Home

http://www.azpm.org/news/story/2012/4/29/1244-no-breaks-in-search-for-isabel/

I'm pretty sure I heard 3 had been interviewed as of last night. Can't find a local link...

3 down - 3 to go. (I'm including the lurker - I think he/she also needs to be identified - probably even moreso than the other 3

I can honestly say I have not seen one news story about Isabel except maybe in the first few days after her disappearance (and even that, I'm not sure of- I think I first became aware of her case from seeing it here). I don't watch the news but I regularly check news sites (as in, multiple times a day), and I've seen nothing. Nothing! Of course, experiences may vary, but they are not reaching everyone, which is where I'd be worried. I wouldn't want anyone to slip through the cracks.

I have been paying attention because I have young girls (preteens) and because of a recent local case, but I have noticed that when I posted flyer links on fb, none of my friends had heard about it (most are mid-30s parents like myself), my mother, who is very interested in the news and NG normally still hadn't heard about it, so I think it is getting local attention in AZ and national attention, but not mention on local news that is not AZ. For example, in my hometown on the news they will discuss big national news but not this. I am not going to say the parents SHOULD or SHOULDN'T do an on camera interview, but if they were to appear on GMA or something similar, it would boost national coverage. Would national coverage help the case? who knows.

on that note, any history of kidnapped children being taken out of state and found due to a tip generated by media coverage?

3 down - 3 to go. (I'm including the lurker - I think he/she also needs to be identified - probably even moreso than the other 3

If LE isn't asking for the lurker to come forward but yet they have no idea who he is.Makes me think they have more video of this person and he is a suspect not a person of interest to talk to if he seen anything.

I'm not from Tucson but I would guess she's still at the top of the news. Someone posted about twitter. She ranks up there as the top 10 news story. Nancy Grace as of an hour ago still has Isabel as her top story on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...59500548286.116726.56641053286&type=1&theater

Lisa's case = another mess, imo. The parents made the media rounds and they were criticized over and over even as far as people speculating that the only reason they went to the media was for money.

My heart really goes out to the Celis family. It's damned if you do and damned if you don't, imo.

I respect Marc Klaas but he has been wrong a few times.....polygraphs and media appearances are not the end all be all, unfortunately. Sometimes some good 'ole fashion detective work is all is needed. LE was already saying this was headed to the cold case file. What? It was only 5 days when they said that. :banghead:

The sad part is even with those other cases where the media exposure turned to a 3 ring circus, the children are still missing.
This story has gotten all sorts of national media, I dont know why anyone would say it has not, I am actually surprised it got any at all being that we are in Tucson and kids go missing like this all the time, and since this case has no sordid details I am surprised the national media even picked it up. But when you are on Nancy Grace every evening I would call that national media, you cant expect CNN to run with this story, as sad as this case is there is other news out there that is just as important like North Korea threatening to turning its southern neighbor in to ashes. You cant expect every news outlet to cover this story, it is but one of many missing childrens cases nationwide, but HLN who commonly does cover these stories, has certainly made it their top story the last week.

MOST of the time LE does NOT like the family of a missing kid posturing in the media, it gets in the way of their investigation and makes things harder for them, while I agree there is probably a happy medium where the family does some media but not too much, and the Celis family could probably do a little more, I am certainly not going to fault them for wanting to stay in the background and letting LE do their job.

Why would it take so long to get in contact with the remaining people? They have one person you would think the LE would have them all by now. As they all know each other? Didn't they or just random people who met at a bar? JMO

What's amazing is, after-the-fact when all is told, how long it takes for some information to be processed. Finding people, arranging interviews, gather phone records, processing DNA and other forensic evidence, etc., etc., takes so-o-o-o-o long.

Specifically phone records require subpoenas to the phone company(ies) through their legal department, and the bureaucracy is like a herd of turtles, especially when every second counts in the case of a missing person!

It truly is not a CSI Miami world out there. While it is amazing what they do accomplish (I have huge respect for LE in most instances), it's equally amazing how long other things take.

Well geeez, Isabel is even making the papers up here in Canada. Perhaps some of the locals should complain to their local news agencies, imo

Toronto

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/25/fbi-searching-for-missing-arizona-girl

Vancouver

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/world/2012/04/25/19677381.html

The Maritimes (which would include the provinces of New Brunswich, Nova Scotia, PEI)

http://www.globalmaritimes.com/video/missing+girl+in+arizona/video.html?v=2225627947#video

Paris, France

http://www.parismatch.com/Actu-Matc...-disparu-mysterieusement-de-chez-elle-391789/

Kids do not go missing from their beds all the time...that makes this story unusual and eye-catching right there. Like when Kyron went missing from school, or Baby Lisa. And this case too, will run its course without new evidence or an arrest-that's just the way it is. Desiree and Kaine did the TV circuit for a while, Kyron stayed in the news, they stopped doing it, he is no longer in the news. Not sure it makes any difference in actually finding him (clearly, not, so far) but it did keep people aware longer. Now, I have read various posts around the internet and polled my family, who only know about these cases from me, and many assume he was found long ago...

Not sure what the answer is...but more media = can't hurt, IMO.

What's amazing is, after-the-fact when all is told, how long it takes for some information to be processed. Finding people, arranging interviews, gather phone records, processing DNA and other forensic evidence, etc., etc., takes so-o-o-o-o long.

Specifically phone records require subpoenas to the phone company(ies) through their legal department, and the bureaucracy is like a herd of turtles, especially when every second counts in the case of a missing person!

It truly is not a CSI Miami world out there. While it is amazing what they do accomplish (I have huge respect for LE in most instances), it's equally amazing how long other things take.

I for one am glad they have to go through CHECKS and BALANCES to get that information. Yes it sucks that it takes so long but it is for the protection of our freedom against a police state, I dont think any of us want to live in a country where the police dont have to get a judges approval to snoop through phone records and other personal information.

This story has gotten all sorts of national media, I dont know why anyone would say it has not, I am actually surprised it got any at all being that we are in Tucson and kids go missing like this all the time, and since this case has no sordid details I am surprised the national media even picked it up. But when you are on Nancy Grace every evening I would call that national media, you cant expect CNN to run with this story, as sad as this case is there is other news out there that is just as important like North Korea threatening to turning its southern neighbor in to ashes. You cant expect every news outlet to cover this story, it is but one of many missing childrens cases nationwide, but HLN who commonly does cover these stories, has certainly made it their top story the last week.

MOST of the time LE does NOT like the family of a missing kid posturing in the media, it gets in the way of their investigation and makes things harder for them, while I agree there is probably a happy medium where the family does some media but not too much, and the Celis family could probably do a little more, I am certainly not going to fault them for wanting to stay in the background and letting LE do their job.

just my opinion here but I believe the case has gotten so much national coverage due to the nature of what *may* have happened: re: kidnapping out of a window.

from the start this has not been a "normal" case

:moo:

just my opinion here but I believe the case has gotten so much national coverage due to the nature of what *may* have happened: re: kidnapping out of a window.

from the start this has not been a "normal" case

:moo:

Yes I would agree, especially in light of the fact that it is Tucson and very close to the ongoing "border wars" involving cartels in Mexico.

It is interesting, the differences in media saturation. I don't generally watch the news but read the news sites from my smart phone. For argument's sake, right now (could change by the time someone reads this) there is nothing about Isabel on the mobile front pages of CNN, FoxNews, ABC News, MSN, my local paper (Chicago Tribune) or Yahoo News. That's why I worry.

Haven't had a chance to read all the posts I missed over the weekend (my goodness 8 threads), but just wanted to chime in and say I cannot believe this beautiful little girl hasn't been found yet! I too think it is time for the parents to speak out, they need to do whatever it takes to keep the focus on Isabel!

My gut continues to tell me that the parents/family are not involved. IMO the person that abducted Isabel is someone who was around the family (neighbor, softball field, factory worker, coworker, etc.), who had enough knowledge of where Isabel's home/bedroom was, but didn't raise suspicion because they "belonged" in the area. On the other hand, maybe a complete stranger saw her from her bedroom window and decided to abduct her only hours before? This would certainly explain not being afraid of the dogs - maybe this person didn't know the dogs existed! I wish the police would offer more information. I would like to know if the dogs barked. I want to read the fathers statement!

Please come home safe today Isabel - I am praying for you! (((heart is broken))

BBM

Stardevant told NG the Celis’s dogs ate in the backyard so I think the kidnapper realized the family had dogs but because they weren’t in the yard and didn’t bark when he approached the house, he knew it was safe for him to proceed.

<snipped>
GRACE: And have you observed Mr. and Ms. Celis, as well? Do you ever see them?

STARDEVANT: Not a lot, no. I have seen just a couple of times them in their back yard, but not more than the children.

GRACE: What would they be doing in the back yard?

STARDEVANT: I think feeding the dogs. Like, I didn`t want to be nosy and look over the wall, but just feeding the dogs, you know, making dinner.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1204/26/ng.01.html

It is interesting, the differences in media saturation. I don't generally watch the news but read the news sites from my smart phone. For argument's sake, right now (could change by the time someone reads this) there is nothing about Isabel on the mobile front pages of CNN, FoxNews, ABC News, MSN, my local paper (Chicago Tribune) or Yahoo News. That's why I worry.

Last weekend when the story broke, local (Detroit) radio, papers, TV stations mentioned the case. When Isabel first went missing, I received an email alert from WDIV-TV at about the same time that the story broke on the national news - and here at Websleuths. There is nothing today on any of the sites that I visit regularly.

When I talk about a lack in coverage I mean several things. I do not mean that she isn't on Nancy Grace. Not too many people who aren't interested in these cases watch her show, and many who are interested in these cases don't watch her anyways. But, a quick update on CNN in the morning to cover the weekend updates isn't enough to reach potential witnesses. Every news outlet can write articles because they basically have an unlimited amount of space. Writing the article doesn't keep them from covering other stories too. But air time is important, and they will only give that to stories they think people are interested in. If the parents - or even grandparents, or a family spokesperson - would come out, and speak then Isabel would get more airtime. It would also mean local outlets outside of Arizona would be covering the story as well.

I agree that sometimes LE doesn't want the family to talk. But in this case LE has been pretty clear that they are okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ademith83