Deceased/Not Found AZ - Jhessye Shockley, 5, Glendale, 11 Oct 2011 - #3 *J. Hunter guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
well I guess we know now why Shirley was so upset after that meeting with CPS when they wouldn't give her the kids. She went into that meeting thinking since she had custody and had adopted them, CPS was just going to hand them right back to her.

well I guess we know now why Shirley was so upset after that meeting with CPS when they wouldn't give her the kids. She went into that meeting thinking since she had custody and had adopted them, CPS was just going to hand them right back to her.

You mean recently? She thought she could waltz in and take them recently? After little one's disappearance?

I think I just fell down the rabbit hole.

*IF* Shirley qualified for a subsidy (and she may or may not have), then it would be almost $2000/month total for four kids:

http://www.nacac.org/adoptionsubsidy/stateprofiles/california.html

It's not a matter of whether Shirley qualified, but whether the kids qualified. Based on their ages at adoption, the fact that they are a sibling group, are children of color and would most likely have issues because of their prior abuse, they would almost certainly qualify for subsidy, and may even qualify at a level higher than the basic rate which would be around $2,000+ for the four kids. Since the kids were removed from their mom and her parental rights were terminated for cause, CPS was most likely involved, which would put the kids in line for subsidy. And yes, grandparents that adopt are not precluded from receiving subsidy for the grandchildren they adopt.

Diana

About the adoption subsidy: I believe he said the adoption subsidy was around $300 a month per child...which is more than welfare but he's right--not enough to feed, clothe, educate and shelter a child properly. And that's Minnesota, which is a "welfare" state...

Adoption subsidy varies by state and also by age of the child. The subsidy actually isn't supposed to be for the purpose of feeding, clothing, sheltering and educating the child. When you adopt, that's your job and one would need to prove that they could provide those things in order to be allowed to adopt. The subsidy is supposed to be used to provide for *extra things a child might require because of their special needs. Things like transportation to and from counseling, additional supervision, learning aids, etc. I think it's sort of a gray area, as there is no accountability as to how those funds are spent.

I also think that the system might (hopefully) have tightened up in the past ten years since I was involved in the foster care system, but back in the late 90's and early 2000's, just about every child past infancy that was adopted through the system in Arizona and California was adopted with subsidy and would be considered special needs for one reason or another.

Diana

You mean recently? She thought she could waltz in and take them recently? After little one's disappearance?

I don't have a link handy, so I will have to go by my recollections. Iirc, after Jhessye disappeared, she asked her friends on facebook to write letters of reference that she could present to CPS in Arizona. She was also on the local news here, talking about how she was going to meet with CPS and get the children back. The local news showed her going into the building, but afaik, after the meeting, Shirley hasn't said anything more publicly about getting the older children back.

Here is something I don't understand (and forgive me if it has already been brought up. I try to read every post but don't always manage to do so) When I was reading the documents pertaining to Jerice's conviction and appeal on the charges she was sent to prison for, I noticed that Jerice told the person doing her evaluation that she had been abused by Shirley. THis was one of the reasons that she gave for treating the children this way, as it was "how she was raised" or whatever. Now, if the courts actually believed this, why in the heck were the grandchildren even allowed to be in her custody? Why would you give these abused children to a woman who had been abusive to their own child? I just don't understand. No background check on Shirley? No investigation whatsoever to see if she actually was a child abuser? UGH!!

Adoption subsidy varies by state and also by age of the child. The subsidy actually isn't supposed to be for the purpose of feeding, clothing, sheltering and educating the child. When you adopt, that's your job and one would need to prove that they could provide those things in order to be allowed to adopt. The subsidy is supposed to be used to provide for *extra things a child might require because of their special needs. Things like transportation to and from counseling, additional supervision, learning aids, etc. I think it's sort of a gray area, as there is no accountability as to how those funds are spent.

I also think that the system might (hopefully) have tightened up in the past ten years since I was involved in the foster care system, but back in the late 90's and early 2000's, just about every child past infancy that was adopted through the system in Arizona and California was adopted with subsidy and would be considered special needs for one reason or another.

Diana

In Illinois, I am not sure if adopting a family members qualifies for the subsidy, but I may be incorrect.

I am not a professional, Melissasmom, but it appears to me that family court is all about second chances. Or third, or fourth.

Someone verified to be Jerice's mom by the cousins on FB posted that she was going to get custody of the new gbaby ASAP - this was a week or so back, I hope she's since be "enlightened".

Hopefully that baby is never returned to either of these two women!

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/central_phoenix/police-report-jhessye-siblings-sent-back-to-mother-after-child-abuse

Police report: Jhessye, siblings sent back to mother after prison, child abuse

Jerice Hunter spent four years in a California prison for abusing her children, but when she was released and moved to Arizona the children were sent back to her.
The report shows that many family members and Arizona agencies knew about the abuse, but did nothing to keep the children away.
(more at link)

Epic FAIL on every level.

Also from the link you provided:
The report also shows Jerice Hunter married a convicted child molester who molested one of her children but the report didn’t say which one. That man is now in prison.

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/regio...ack-to-mother-after-child-abuse#ixzz1fEJFP1GI

I am so beyond ticked at what these children have had to endure!!!!!!!!!

I am not a professional, Melissasmom, but it appears to me that family court is all about second chances. Or third, or fourth.

.....no matter what. UGH. Disgusts and enrages me!

Just because someone gives birth to a child does not entitle them nor mean they are qualified to be a parent!

MOO

Oh no....not me. I am actually glad she doesn't have a public defender, so that she can't cry foul later on. I'm glad she is able to hire the attorney of her choice. I have respect for most defense attorneys, because they are there to protect us also. If he's really competent, and the evidence is overwhelming, he may be able to cut Jerice a deal and save the 13 year old from having to testify.

I hope this attorney is very competent, very respected, and does a good job defending Jerice. I hope there are no issues that could result in a successful appeal, and an overturned conviction. I want Jerice to have her day in court, and be convicted of murder, and I want it to stick. That can only happen if she has a very good and experienced attorney. I'm not sure if AZ has the death penalty, but if she's arrested for murdering Jhessye, and the DP is on the table, then she will need a competent lawyer with DP experience in order for the conviction to be upheld.

I hope she has a jury of her peers....mothers, fathers, grandparents....those with children in their lives that they love.

Jerice and Shirley are the type that will call press conferences and play the race card if there's a conviction. They will want to do the radio and talk show circuit, and get Al Sharpton involved....and make Jerice the victim. I don't want any of that.

I hope it all goes right by the book. Prison in AZ will be a living nightmare for Jerice Hunter.

Thanks for showing me a different aspect!!

It's not a matter of whether Shirley qualified, but whether the kids qualified. Based on their ages at adoption, the fact that they are a sibling group, are children of color and would most likely have issues because of their prior abuse, they would almost certainly qualify for subsidy, and may even qualify at a level higher than the basic rate which would be around $2,000+ for the four kids. Since the kids were removed from their mom and her parental rights were terminated for cause, CPS was most likely involved, which would put the kids in line for subsidy. And yes, grandparents that adopt are not precluded from receiving subsidy for the grandchildren they adopt.

Diana

Sorry - by "qualified" I meant the kids/the situation qualifying.

We have an adopted child so I'm familiar with all of the requirements for state subsidies. We ended up not adopting through the foster system but had to go through a lot to learn about it.

In Illinois, I am not sure if adopting a family members qualifies for the subsidy, but I may be incorrect.

Well I adopted my gdaughter in AZ ten years ago and she qualified for a level 2 subsidy. She was technically in foster care but we were her family placement and her only placement. At the time I was not even aware of the subsidy program but it seems she automatically qualified. Her half sister was adopted in California around the same time by her grandmother and with full subsidy.

I personally am glad they are waiting to pinpoint the landfill search areas.... (re: get the exact dates the other kids last saw Jhesseye)...

I think back to the Andrew Compton landfill search... and they had very specific info to go on down to what sort of box to look for and never found Andrew. I think the more info they are able to develop the better

moo

I agree. But the only concern I have, is that the evidence is sitting there deteriorating.

I haven't been following this case as much as I would like, so maybe this was already discussed. But do we know how many days worth have been preserved? If it was only a day or two around the time she was reported missing, her body probably isn't even there. It could have been disposed back in September, when the siblings last saw her.

So if there is only a minute amount of evidence, for example, on rags used for cleaning (specks of blood, hair, feces, etc), I would guess these have a greater chance of being destroyed, the longer they are exposed to the elements. MOO

I bet Shirley could fill in a few brush strokes regarding her daughter's history and possibly why she has made some of the choices she has. Perhaps Dad could chime in as well.

It is hard to say what I would do if I found my flesh and blood had walked the earth brutalizing their own children....mainly because I do not expect that to ever, ever happen.

It seems more than likely that I would NOT have given them back because it was too hard, however.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/regio...iblings-sent-back-to-mother-after-child-abuse

The report shows that Jerice Hunter’s mother Shirley Johnson took care of Jhessye and some of her other grandchildren while Jerice was in prison but gave them back to their mother because it was too much work.
She also claimed one of the children stole $3,000 from her.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/regio...iblings-sent-back-to-mother-after-child-abuse

The report shows that Jerice Hunter’s mother Shirley Johnson took care of Jhessye and some of her other grandchildren while Jerice was in prison but gave them back to their mother because it was too much work.

Not sure I believe everything in this story ...

"The report shows that Jerice Hunter’s mother Shirley Johnson took care of Jhessye and some of her other grandchildren while Jerice was in prison but gave them back to their mother because it was too much work."
Shirley NEVER took care of Jhessye!!

Really, Shirley? I say BS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member