GUILTY AZ - Navneet Kaur, 30, Phoenix, 30 March 2007 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jamie Warren‏Verified account @JamieABC15 3h3 hours ago
I’m inside the courtroom for trial of Avtar Grewal, accused of killing his estranged wife at her Ahwatukee home in 2007 & fleeing to India. 12 years later, he’s on trial for murder. #ABC15

Trial is expected to last about 3 months. Grewal is facing life in prison.

Jamie Warren‏Verified account @JamieABC15 2h2 hours ago
Prosecution says Grewal strangled his wife & left her in bathtub with running water. They say he left a note claiming he killed her because she made his life hell.

I’m inside the courtroom for trial of Avtar Grewal, accused of killing his estranged wife at her Ahwatukee home in 2007 & fleeing to India. 12 years later, he’s on trial for murder. #ABC15

Trial is expected to last about 3 months. Grewal is facing life in prison.

Jamie Warren‏Verified account @JamieABC15 2h2 hours ago
Prosecution says Grewal strangled his wife & left her in bathtub with running water. They say he left a note claiming he killed her because she made his life hell.

Thanks for posting this, Y/N. I came back to post I'd begun wading through the Court's minute entries & realized actual trial WAS set to begin today. But how odd, that the trial coverage of the first day seems to consist of 2 tweets by a single twitter-er, with zero replies to either of her tweets. :(.

ETA: a very short snippet (less than 2 minutes) of opening arguments is available on YouTube.

Of: Martinez describing Grewal strangling his wife, then the defense arguing that Grewal hadn't intended to kill her, but did so after she told him she wanted a divorce & that she had slept with another man "not once but 3 times."

The defense also claimed that Grewal made multiple unsuccessful suicide attempts afterwards, then had gone to India to die, not to flee justice.

Last edited:
Man acccued of murdering estranged wife on trial for her death

Jun 3, 2019

JM looks good....

6a00e54fbb349788340148c7388ce2970c-800wi

JM again...:D

Man accused of killing estranged wife goes to trial 12 years later

Jun 3, 2019

*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 10:30am PT) – AZ – Navneet Kaur (30) (March 30, 2007, Phoenix) - *Avtar Singh Grewal (44/32 @ time of crime) charged (3/30/07), indicted (4/3/07) & arraigned (9/23/11) with 1st degree murder & 2nd degree burglary. Plead not guilty. $4M bond. Juan Martinez, Prosecutor
Extradited from India to U.S. (9/14/11).
Trial started 6/3/19. Jury is 8 people. Trial should last about 3 months.
6/3/19 Day 1: Opening statements. No other info. Trial continues to 6/4.

so... who is going to listen to the video and tell me "who" the witness are? And their relationship to case, please?

It would be very much appreciated - as I am quite busy this week with visitors....

Niner- some opening statements and

one woman on the stand (no name on video #1) was a co-worker of Navneet- who drove to her house to find out why she didn't come to work and found furniture overturned.

@Niner

ETA: Found this:

Ahwatukee murder case from 2007 goes to trial

June 3, 2019

"...The next morning, when their calls kept going to voicemail, Kaur’s coworkers started to worry.

“I told her that I wanted her to come stay at my house because I was worried something bad was going to happen to her,” said Kaur’s co-worker Gina Wilkins.

With the help of a neighbor, the women went into Kaur’s home, and found overturned furniture and blood on the floor.

Wilkins called 911. Police found Kaur’s body..."

Ahwatukee murder case from 2007 goes to trial

Last edited:
Trial begins for man accused of killing wife in Ahwatukee, fleeing to India

Kirchler said the argument escalated to the two slapping each other. Then, Kaur kicked Grewal in the groin. At some point, Kaur fell to the ground and hit her head against a table, according to the defense.

However, prosecutors said Grewal choked his wife until she was unconscious. Martinez didn't mention the two physically fighting or whether Kaur received a head injury.

A trail of blood was found inside the house leading to a bathroom, according to prosecutors. Grewal put Kaur's body in the bathtub and submerged her, according to opening statements.

He left a letter at the home that read, "I killed this selfish b---h who tortured me for two years," according to prosecutors. Martinez added that Grewal wrote that Kaur made his life hell and that he was planning to kill himself.
--------------------------------------
I wish this trial was live streamed.
What was Kaur's cause of death, I wonder.
Head injury or strangulation? Undetermined?

It is so strange Grewal left a confession letter- I killed this selfish b...h. Leads me to believe he was really going to kill himself.

Yes, I think he WAS going to kill himself - but then decided - why? and fled to India, thinking he would be "safe" there....

Guess we will have to wait for some articles to come out to find "what" is going on in this trial....

Wednesday, June 5th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 10:30am PT) – AZ – Navneet Kaur (30) (March 30, 2007, Phoenix) - *Avtar Singh Grewal (44/32 @ time of crime) charged (3/30/07), indicted (4/3/07) & arraigned (9/23/11) with 1st degree murder & 2nd degree burglary. Plead not guilty. $4M bond. Juan Martinez, Prosecutor
6/3/19 Day 1: Opening statements. State witnesses: Gina Wilkins (Co-worker). No other info. Trial continues to 6/4.
6/4/19 Day 2: No idea… Trial continues on 6/5.

What was Kaur's cause of death, I wonder.
Head injury or strangulation? Undetermined?

"...Her autopsy would show that she died of severe blunt-force trauma to her face and body. Kaur's assailant had beaten her, strangled her, tried to suffocate her with a pillow and stuck her in the tub (it's uncertain, according to the postmortem, if she was dead or alive at that point)...."

Snake on a Plane

Thursday, June 6th:
*Trial continues (Day 4) (@ 10:30am PT) – AZ – Navneet Kaur (30) (March 30, 2007, Phoenix) - *Avtar Singh Grewal (44/32 @ time of crime) charged (3/30/07), indicted (4/3/07) & arraigned (9/23/11) with 1st degree murder & 2nd degree burglary. Plead not guilty. $4M bond. Juan Martinez, Prosecutor
6/3/19 Day 1: Opening statements. State witnesses: Gina Wilkins (Co-worker). No other info. Trial continues to 6/4.
6/5/19 Day 3: No info yet. Trial continue on 6/6.

Yes, I think he WAS going to kill himself - but then decided - why? and fled to India, thinking he would be "safe" there....

Guess we will have to wait for some articles to come out to find "what" is going on in this trial....

Knowing when he bought that one way ticket to India would go a long way in determining whether or not he planned on committing suicide.

Personally, I think it's unlikely he either planned or spontaneously tried to commit suicide after he killed his wife 3-4 times over. Those who are genuinely intent upon killing themselves typically do.

Why the confession note? He has supposedly claimed he left it to "make people hate him." I don't believe that either.

We don't have much info to go on. But, in that vacuum, I'd guess he wrote & left the note out of self-justifying vindictiveness ("she made me kill her"). I'd also guess that he believed he'd find support, not condemnation, back home in India. His wife wouldn't obey him! She refused to live with him! She wanted a divorce! She CHEATED on him!!

In some places, and perhaps in his Indian home community, what he did would be considered a completely understandable and justifiable "honor" killing. That he was arrested as soon as he landed back in India, though, makes his intentions even more difficult to determine.

From the little that can be gleaned from reading Superior Court Minute Entries about the case:

1. The State dropped it's pursuit of the DP almost literally at the last minute. The trial judge denied Grewal's appeal to dismissal the DP on March 29, 2019, after an initial trial date had already been set.

The State filed it's Motion (to drop) the DP on April 23, 2019.

Can't determine from the bare bones docket/Minutes why the State took the DP off the table. It's obvious from the Minutes that Grewal was considered incompetent to stand trial for some length of time. At least from January-end of March 2019, a clinical liason for the State provided the trial judge biweekly reports, presumably on Grewal's mental/psychological status.

The liason's final report to the judge is dated March 21, 8 days BEFORE the judge denied Grewal's motion to dismissal the DP, with no dissent at that time by the State.

2. Grewal's stretch of going per se. Some indication as to what that looked like can be surmised by reading the titles of his Motions.

Examples: Sept 2018: "Motion to Stop the Ongoing Miscarriages of Justice in My Case."
December 2018: "Notice of Filing Unresolved Issues Seeking Your Kind Honors (sic) Attention."

Not sure if still per se or with counsel, of the motions filed in April 2019, one requested that he be allowed to use a pen during trial, and another, that he be allowed to sit BETWEEN! counsel at the defense table.

3. Grewal/his attorney fought a months-long battle to introduce Kaur's history of prescriptions into evidence, over her family's explicit objections, on the basis that they might include exculpatory evidence.

The "evidence" Grewal sought appears to have been based on wishful thinking, a fishing expedition, and a revolting one at that. He argued that the scripts history COULD indicate she had a heart condition, and that IF she was on blood thinners that could explain the amount of blood found at the scene, and that a heart condition COULD have shortened the time it took to strangle her, so she couldn't have suffered for any great length of time. (Motion was ultimately denied).

4. No idea of the significance (or lack of) this, but the judge granted Grewal's motions to completely exclude any statements by ( or even mention of, at any time during trial) two potential witnesses: Ganesh Kodavuru and Sravanthi Sankranthi.

5. Last, the judge just ruled (June 3) against Grewal's motion to introduce evidence relating to the Asperger's & autism spectrum. Perhaps Grewal had hoped to claim a place on the spectrum & less culpability somehow?

Pocket, I wish too that this trial was being streamed, or at very least, that someone, anyone, cared enough to be tweeting throughout. :(

Knowing when he bought that one way ticket to India would go a long way in determining whether or not he planned on committing suicide.

Personally, I think it's unlikely he either planned or spontaneously tried to commit suicide after he killed his wife 3-4 times over. Those who are genuinely intent upon killing themselves typically do.

Why the confession note? He has supposedly claimed he left it to "make people hate him." I don't believe that either.

We don't have much info to go on. But, in that vacuum, I'd guess he wrote & left the note out of self-justifying vindictiveness ("she made me kill her"). I'd also guess that he believed he'd find support, not condemnation, back home in India. His wife wouldn't obey him! She refused to live with him! She wanted a divorce! She CHEATED on him!!

In some places, and perhaps in his Indian home community, what he did would be considered a completely understandable and justifiable "honor" killing. That he was arrested as soon as he landed back in India, though, makes his intentions even more difficult to determine.
I think so too that the timing of ticket purchases is super important. If he bought that ticket to India at the same time he purchased the ticket to AZ, then it can help prove premeditation and that he didn't really plan to commit suicide.

I think so too that the timing of ticket purchases is super important. If he bought that ticket to India at the same time he purchased the ticket to AZ, then it can help prove premeditation and that he didn't really plan to commit suicide.

Info on the plane ticket & much more is included in Phoenix New Times article from June 14, 2007, which I was going to tell you about since I can't link from phone, but lo! Y/N post #30 has the link already ("Snake on a Plane").

He didn't buy the ticket to India before he killed her. He bought a ticket to Newark NJ after he killed her, and bought the ticket to India after he reached Newark.

LE knew this from accessing his credit card records the day after the murder, and tried to get the plane to turn around, 30 minutes or so into the flight. The airline refused.

The article also mentions & quotes one of the witnesses Grewal succeeded in precluding. She was a neighbor and a close enough friend to Kaur to have a key to Kaur's apartment (or house?)

Last, LE describes Grewal as both homicidal AND suicidal, and the pulled down chandelier with rope nearby (or attached?) is.....interesting.

Info on the plane ticket & much more is included in Phoenix New Times article from June 14, 2007, which I was going to tell you about since I can't link from phone, but lo! Y/N post #30 has the link already ("Snake on a Plane").

He didn't buy the ticket to India before he killed her. He bought a ticket to Newark NJ after he killed her, and bought the ticket to India after he reached Newark.

LE knew this from accessing his credit card records the day after the murder, and tried to get the plane to turn around, 30 minutes or so into the flight. The airline refused.

The article also mentions & quotes one of the witnesses Grewal succeeded in precluding. She was a neighbor and a close enough friend to Kaur to have a key to Kaur's apartment (or house?)

Last, LE describes Grewal as both homicidal AND suicidal, and the pulled down chandelier with rope nearby (or attached?) is.....interesting.
Wow, the plot thickens then. Well, maybe not. Maybe it's simple.
He premeditated to kill Kaur, then planned to commit suicide, but chickened out. Bought tickets to India thinking he'd be safe there. Except he forgot to take the confession/suicide letter with him.

I will read that 2007 article later tonight. (Ha, that old article is before murdered TA) Need to eat dinner first.

(I took my neighbor who was showing symptoms of stroke to emergency today. I'm beat. Luckily doctors didn't think it was a stroke. She needs ct scan next to rule out stroke and to find out what's causing half of her body to go weak, and slurred speech. I'm so worried)

I won't put H4M's great summary of the binders issue, but, in response, it does sound like this trial is going to have some VERY interesting "issues", lots of "meat on the bone".

I like it!

I'm also trying to visualize how 2 FBI agents beat Grewal to India and were able to meet him at the plane. They must have a station in India and he landed nearby?

Friday, June 7th:
*Trial continues (Day 5) (@ 10:30am PT) – AZ – Navneet Kaur (30) (March 30, 2007, Phoenix) - *Avtar Singh Grewal (44/32 @ time of crime) charged (3/30/07), indicted (4/3/07) & arraigned (9/23/11) with 1st degree murder & 2nd degree burglary. Plead not guilty. $4M bond. Juan Martinez, Prosecutor
6/5/19 Day 3: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/6.
6/6/19 Day 4: no info yet. Trial continues on 6/7.

Wow, the plot thickens then. Well, maybe not. Maybe it's simple.
He premeditated to kill Kaur, then planned to commit suicide, but chickened out. Bought tickets to India thinking he'd be safe there. Except he forgot to take the confession/suicide letter with him.

I will read that 2007 article later tonight. (Ha, that old article is before murdered TA) Need to eat dinner first.

(I took my neighbor who was showing symptoms of stroke to emergency today. I'm beat. Luckily doctors didn't think it was a stroke. She needs ct scan next to rule out stroke and to find out what's causing half of her body to go weak, and slurred speech. I'm so worried)

Pocket- I hope your neighbor is OK, and that you are too. Hugs......

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back