Baez' "other" murder trial...who and what were results?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I guess most of you have read about this, but for those who have not...here's just some of Jose's history...bolded by me.

The court requires them to produce "clear and convincing evidence of rehabilitation," such as strict compliance with judicial or administrative orders, assurances to "conduct one's self in an exemplary manner" and demonstrations of excellent character, good reputation for professional ability and "positive action" in their occupation, religion or community or civic service.

Baez launched two community-service ventures during his time away from the law.

In 2001, according to state records, Baez created a nonprofit group, the Miami Domestic Violence Project. It dissolved two years later. Mackenzie, Baez's office spokeswoman, said the project disbanded because another group with an almost identical purpose and name already existed.

In 2004, Baez created another nonprofit in Miami, Miracles for Children Foundation Corp., according to state records. It continued until Sept. 16, 2005.

The following week, Sept. 22, Baez was admitted to practice law.

http://mobile.sun-sentinel.com/inf/...&feed:c=topstories&feed:i=46680691&nopaging=1

This explains why Judge Strickland and the SA insisted KC attend all hearings concerning her case.They know about all of this ,I'm sure. Also explains why the SA was anxious to get a DP qualified attorney on record.Less chance of a new trial because JB is .....well,JB!

IIRC - didn't JB also defend a woman a few years ago who had kidnapped a baby? I believe she was found guilty, too. I also think I remember he had defended a doc accused of sexual assault but he was cleared when SA's witness refused to testify.

I may be wrong - I'm not even sure where I read it . . .

Thank you for the link, yes it did work ! I remembered this after reading it, and it was just too good to leave out. A portion of the WFTV article is below...thanks again !!!!!

Eyewitness News also learned that Baez was almost an hour late for the sentencing of his client, Nilton Diaz, in a Lake County child abuse death the day Anthony was released the first time. That same day, Baez shoved a reporter. He also kept the Lake County judge, the victim's family and witnesses waiting. When he arrived, he made no apology.

Baez also requested a special hearing the day before that, asking for a delay in Diaz's sentencing, telling the judge he expected the media to follow him to Lake County after Anthony's release and that it would be prejudicial to Anthony.

Lake County Circuit Judge Mark Nacke denied Baez's request for that delay. Baez ended up taking Casey back to her house the day she was released from jail before he headed to Lake County. No reporters followed him to Lake County that day.
http://www.wftv.com/news/17497948/detail.html

Sentencing doesn't usually take a long time - certainly not an hour unless the jduge is extremely long winded. He should have been held in contempt for his disregard of the courts. It is unheard of for an attorney to not be present or at least have someone from the firm there during sentencing. Jose did not need to be with Casey that day - she had bodyguards. I guess Diaz just doesn't "stroke" Baez like Casey does.

IMO Baez is a disgrace to attorneys everywhere. He sets bad examples on every front. He demands special treatment at evry turn and is virtually illiterate in his motions.

Am I reading this correctly that the new trial was requested in November? And if that is correct; is the 2/4/10 date granting a new trial? so far the only atty of record that I have found is - Jose Baez or 11/09 - JOSE GARCIA FROM ATTY JOSE BAEZ'S OFFICE - :waitasec:

I can't imagine why they aren't happy with JB.... As Judge Strickland said to KC at her $$$ non-trial - you are happy with your atty's and you have good atty's (along those lines) - I wondered how long he had to practice saying that in the mirror! :rolleyes: :bang:

http://lakecountyclerk.org/online_court_records_detail.asp?case_id=78899567

Nilton J Diaz 2/11/06 - 3/19/10

2006 CF 000433 -- STATE OF FLORIDA vs. DIAZ, NILTON J

Judge: NACKE, MARK A Date Filed: 2/15/2006

case Type: Felony Case Status: Closed

Offense Date: 2/11/2006 Arrest/Summons Date: 2/15/2006

11/05/08 Total Fees $3,131.35 $0.00 $0.00 $3,131.3 total & owed

9/2/08 sentenced

2/4/2010 500 APPEAL COURT DECISION OR OPINION, APPEAL NO. 5D09-4169, PER CURIAM. AFFIRMED

11/30/2009 ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF NEW CASE, APPEAL NO. 5D09-4169, OPENED AS A 3.850 SUMMARY

11/24/09 DEFT NOT PRESENT FOR MOTION HRG; ATTY JOSE GARCIA PRESENT (VIA TELEPHONE) FROM ATTY JOSE BAEZ'S OFFICE; ATTY BRAD BISCHOFF PRESENT (VIA TELEPHONE) FROM JAC; RE: DEFENSE'S MOTION FOR DETERMINATION OF ATTORNEY'S DUE PROCESS COSTS: ATTY BAEZ'S OFFICE AND J.A.C. TO GO OVER COSTS IN QUESTION AND SUBMIT PROPOSED ORDER TO COURT.

Am I reading this correctly that the new trial was requested in November? And if that is correct; is the 2/4/10 date granting a new trial? so far the only atty of record that I have found is - Jose Baez or 11/09 - JOSE GARCIA FROM ATTY JOSE BAEZ'S OFFICE - :waitasec:

I can't imagine why they aren't happy with JB.... As Judge Strickland said to KC at her $$$ non-trial - you are happy with your atty's and you have good atty's (along those lines) - I wondered how long he had to practice saying that in the mirror! :rolleyes: :bang:

http://lakecountyclerk.org/online_court_records_detail.asp?case_id=78899567

Nilton J Diaz 2/11/06 - 3/19/10

2006 CF 000433 -- STATE OF FLORIDA vs. DIAZ, NILTON J

Judge: NACKE, MARK A Date Filed: 2/15/2006

case Type: Felony Case Status: Closed

Offense Date: 2/11/2006 Arrest/Summons Date: 2/15/2006

11/05/08 Total Fees $3,131.35 $0.00 $0.00 $3,131.3 total & owed

9/2/08 sentenced

2/4/2010 500 APPEAL COURT DECISION OR OPINION, APPEAL NO. 5D09-4169, PER CURIAM. AFFIRMED

11/30/2009 ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF NEW CASE, APPEAL NO. 5D09-4169, OPENED AS A 3.850 SUMMARY

11/24/09 DEFT NOT PRESENT FOR MOTION HRG; ATTY JOSE GARCIA PRESENT (VIA TELEPHONE) FROM ATTY JOSE BAEZ'S OFFICE; ATTY BRAD BISCHOFF PRESENT (VIA TELEPHONE) FROM JAC; RE: DEFENSE'S MOTION FOR DETERMINATION OF ATTORNEY'S DUE PROCESS COSTS: ATTY BAEZ'S OFFICE AND J.A.C. TO GO OVER COSTS IN QUESTION AND SUBMIT PROPOSED ORDER TO COURT.

Regarding the 2/4/2010 appeal court decision, I thought "affirmed" meant the original judgement and sentence was upheld, but I could be wrong. Since he was asking for a new trial maybe affirmed does mean he got one. I don't know, but hopefully someone who does know will comment and help us out.

It's an interesting case. The last I saw anything in the news was when Nilton was appealing based on ineffective council. He claims Baez did not turn over evidence to the prosecution as discovery that he then tried to present at trial and was denied.

Regarding the 2/4/2010 appeal court decision, I thought "affirmed" meant the original judgement and sentence was upheld, but I could be wrong. Since he was asking for a new trial maybe affirmed does mean he got one. I don't know, but hopefully someone who does know will comment and help us out.

It's an interesting case. The last I saw anything in the news was when Nilton was appealing based on ineffective council. He claims Baez did not turn over evidence to the prosecution as discovery that he then tried to present at trial and was denied.

I was following this case and when I originally saw that entry in the court docket, I asked AZLawyer and was told that Mr. Diaz will NOT be getting a new trial...for what it is worth.

It is interesting to read this very lengthy court docket though and see how many similarities there are to Baez' behavior in KC's case (including reprimands from judge) :dance:

Thank You DP and KK

So do you think he was guilty? Or was his council so ineffective he didn't stand a chance? I wondered if they went for manslaughter because they thought he was involved but maybe not the actual perp, this time.

I didn't follow all of it but at one time tried to decide if he would have had a better outcome with better council.

Generally I'm not in favor of a retrial without new evidence, but I have such little faith in JB, this time I actually felt for the guy. It is a horrible thing to know that such mediocrity has the ability to hold a life in his hands.

Bumping...seems like JB has a history of trying to "surprise" the prosecution with last minute evidence. Also he seems to like putting his client on the stand to testify. I am 80% sure the Saturday hearing has something to do with JB.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RainbowYarnSlueth
Back