GUILTY Bali - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, found dead in suitcase, 12 Aug 2014 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumours are still circulating that the accused may be returned to the US ....

Aug 21, 2014
Indonesia's National Police say it is possible that two United States citizens accused of murdering a 62-year-old US woman, Ms Sheila von Weise-Mack, while vacationing in Bali will be handed over to the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for further investigation into the homicide.

National Police spokesman Ronny F. Sompie said on Wednesday that the suspects' transfer was possible, noting that the US authorities had once granted a request by the National Police for the transfer of an Indonesian murder suspect to the country.

"It is doable. The National Police and the Bali Police have coordinated closely. But for now, our main focus is finding more evidence in the murder," he said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/as...nded-over-fbi-face-trial#sthash.FXYBU9cW.dpuf

:what: The men get to play tennis daily? I looked at this site early on in this case and don't know what to believe.
The pictures actually show the prison looking somewhat pleasant and clean. It may be way too good for these two. I don't want to imagine TS playing tennis! Please don't tell me they have a swimming pool.

The organisation that posted that info is one that tries to be positive, and tries to help foreign prisoners who have been incarcerated there ... without inflaming the local authorities. It is not all doom and gloom, but it is no picnic ... as explained in the second article I posted ... (this one http://www.news.com.au/world/harsh-...to-death-in-bali/story-fndir2ev-1226559942582).

I remember that Schapelle Corby got into making jewellery and craft work while in prison there - and at the same time her sanity was slowly eroding away.

The organisation that posted that info is one that tries to be positive, and tries to help foreign prisoners who have been incarcerated there ... without inflaming the local authorities. It is not all doom and gloom, but it is no picnic ... as explained in the second article I posted ... (this one http://www.news.com.au/world/harsh-...to-death-in-bali/story-fndir2ev-1226559942582).

I remember that Schapelle Corby got into making jewellery and craft work while in prison there - and at the same time her sanity was slowly eroding away.

Harsh reality of Kerobokan Prison awaits British gran sentenced to death in Bali
http://www.news.com.au/world/harsh-...to-death-in-bali/story-fndir2ev-1226559942582

Thank You for this harsher reality article. Sounds like the women have it harder in that prison. When I first heard of the British grandmother case is when I started to realize the laws and legal system is totally different there. What you've been sharing has shed more light on what these two face. Thank You again. Do you think they have a real chance of being sent back to the US? I don't. Why would they when all the evidence and investigation is in Bali? Maybe I don't understand something yet.

It's time................................................................................................................ :offtobed:

Harsh reality of Kerobokan Prison awaits British gran sentenced to death in Bali
http://www.news.com.au/world/harsh-...to-death-in-bali/story-fndir2ev-1226559942582

Thank You for this harsher reality article. Sounds like the women have it harder in that prison. When I first heard of the British grandmother case is when I started to realize the laws and legal system is totally different there. What you've been sharing has shed more light on what these two face. Thank You again. Do you think they have a real chance of being sent back to the US? I don't. Why would they when all the evidence and investigation is in Bali? Maybe I don't understand something yet.

It's time................................................................................................................ :offtobed:

I've never heard of anyone being returned to their home land from Indonesia to stand trial ... I think it would be resisted heavily by the local police there, if the National Police tried to pull a stunt like that.

Boy, if that did happen, could you imagine the floodgate that would open? Australia would sure as heck start pushing hard to have our people brought home for trial (particularly as we do not have the death penalty here, and some of our people in jail there have death penalty sentences) ... after all, we have an extradition treaty and neighbouring/regional relationship with Indonesia ... the US don't even have that. It would be seen as quite outrageous, I think.

IMVHO, they acted more like frenemies. Kwim? Why did Sheila refuse to get Heather mental help for all those years? WHY? Even when police suggested that Heather be institutionalized, Sheila wouldn't do it. I really do wonder if Heather could be bipolar or schizophrenic or something, something that could have been curbed with appropriate doctors and medicine. How could this go on for so many years and a judge didn't DEMAND that Heather be institutionalized? After so many complaints to police, is there a reason the State didn't step in? I just don't understand.

Apparently the daughter was hospitalized a few times , but not in connection to the police activity. I thinks he threw horrific rage attacks that caused people to think she was sick but I don't believe she was. She got on quite well with all her friends and no assaults against third parties, or arrests unrelated to her mom. She's a Casey Anthony type, IMO.

So her 19th birthday will probably be in late October, if the other post was correct where an old friend posted b.d.greetings for HM.

I still say, she'll throw the b.f. "under the bus". Chop him up like minced meat to save herself.

I agree. But I don't see it working. After all, if she was really horrified and scared of him for what he did, why the laughing and unconcern when arrested? Why didn't she immediately tell them what had happened? Instead, all she did was imperiously demand an American attorney and different food, laughed, called her attorney and seemed narcissistically concerned with the media who was there. That's not the behavior of a scared victim whose mom got murderd and the Indonesian authorities aren't gonna buy it.

It was a struggle on my eye sight to read those police reports and emotionally upsetting to keep reading the constant disrespect and abuse. In one incident, I read something I'll have to paraphrase - what was it, something like - "Okay, I won't hit you in the arm and leave bruises anymore, I'll just hit you in the head."

Typical statement of a domestic abuser.

Must have been because it was her only child. And only link to her deceased husband, sad she didn't have another. I'm kind of more pissed because she's sounds like the type of women I'd love to be my mother, my own would never take me to 5* resorts just me & her, or want to buy me that much. (on her vine there's a video of Sheila buying a car for Heather)
She had friends because the first reports of the murder were describing how Sheila's close friends had warned her not to take Heather on holiday with her.....Sheila should have taken one of her friends instead IMO....I wonder how Heather wasn't 'so bored' when she went abroad with her mother anyway....as she claims how she's so bored at various times in a few vine videos.

On the police reports some things are blanked out....like: 'Sheila reports her daughter has ----- and is getting treatment', so that could be just 'anger issues', or something like an actual psychiatric disorder.

they wouldn't need to blank out anger issues but they have to redact HIPAA stuff like treatment for mental issues. I do think she was diagnosed with something. But whatever it was was probably a result if bring spoiled half to death. Not due to an organic brain condition like bi polar disorder or schizophrenia. But I'm not an expert. Just arm chairing it.

Apparently the daughter was hospitalized a few times , but not in connection to the police activity. I thinks he threw horrific rage attacks that caused people to think she was sick but I don't believe she was. She got on quite well with all her friends and no assaults against third parties, or arrests unrelated to her mom. She's a Casey Anthony type, IMO.

I agree. But I don't see it working. After all, if she was really horrified and scared of him for what he did, why the laughing and unconcern when arrested? Why didn't she immediately tell them what had happened? Instead, all she did was imperiously demand an American attorney and different food, laughed, called her attorney and seemed narcissistically concerned with the media who was there. That's not the behavior of a scared victim whose mom got murderd and the Indonesian authorities aren't gonna buy it.

Typical statement of a domestic abuser.

they wouldn't need to blank out anger issues but they have to redact HIPAA stuff like treatment for mental issues. I do think she was diagnosed with something. But whatever it was was probably a result if bring spoiled half to death. Not due to an organic brain condition like bi polar disorder or schizophrenia. But I'm not an expert. Just arm chairing it.

She does too, very much like CA, and the story she came up with, that they were all attacked yet she and her bf went to another room and had sex. :puke: Reminds me of CA off partying after making Caylee disappear. They both have the knack of disconnecting from what they've done. :scared: jmo

How exactly did the dad die? In one of the police reports Sheila stated that Heather being the only witness to the incident and having to testify is causing her more problems? Scary to read that this girl was the only witness to her father's death?

He cut his foot on a cruise ship, developed sepsis, and died a while later.

http://oakpark.suntimes.com/2014/08/20/court-records-shed-new-light-teen-linked-mothers-death-bali/

I thought the man hurt his foot only in the Cruise swimming pool?? And that was in 2001.

How did the hurt foot turn into a heart attack? :thinking:

He did and it turned into sepsis, rendering that foot useless. His death from a pulmonary embolism in Greece had nothing to do with his wound on Royal Caribbean a few years prior. He died in the middle of the lawsuit. Sheila though that may be why the payout wasn't significant.

I read he died from a pulmonary embolism in the hotel.

"Pulmonary embolism is when one or more pulmonary arteries in your lungs become blocked. In most cases, pulmonary embolism is caused by blood clots that travel to the lungs from the legs or rarely other parts of the body (deep vein thrombosis, or DVT)." http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pulmonary-embolism/basics/definition/con-20022849

So I'm thinking maybe he got a blood clot in his leg from flying from Chicago to Greece (he was 76) & it traveled to his lungs.

He was born in 1929. I have all the birthdays but his - clue me in if you find his. A close birthday for HM - not quite sure which day though - looks like 11-22-95. She was 10 years old when he died June 6, 2006 - making HM 10.

BTW, the payout from the insurance company was $1.5 M - minus lawyers fees. Geez...that's a lot for a cut foot.

Sheila specifically said his death was unrelated to the prior sepsis from years ago.

ETA - $1.5M does seem alot for a cut foot that required stitches but in James' situation it developed sepsis bc of medical negligence on the ship. He never regained use of that foot. That's substantial to have walked your whole life then lose the use of your foot from a botched repair procedure.

http://www.suntimes.com/29377028-76...-on-teen-linked-to-mothers-death-in-bali.html
oh answering my own question.....doesn't seem Heather could have been involved in this incident....

***** Ok, now this is really starting to paint a picture, albeit a confusing one... From the link claudicci just supplied, it informs Sheila changed the lawsuit to be a wrongful death suit once James died. However, in her very own words with CaxtonClub, she informs he died of an unrelated condition. So I'm thinking she tried to change the lawsuit to a wrongful death suit but it wasn't proven to be the case, and that maybe only medical negligence or something like that was proven, heck maybe bc James cut his foot on the pool Royal Caribbean was liable for that but not for his death years later, leaving Sheila with a less than stellar payout than she was looking for. *****

http://www.caxtonclub.org/reading/2013/may13.pdf

The family was on a cruise in 2001 when Mack caught his foot on something sharp in the swimming pool. It was duly stitched up by the boat’s physician, and he was able to walk off the boat the next day. But sepsis struck, putting him near death and perma- nentlyendingtheuseofthatfoot.“Wenever managed to get a significant settlement out of the boat company,” she says.“Partly it was that he died not too long thereafter of an unrelated problem.”

http://www.suntimes.com/29377028-76...-on-teen-linked-to-mothers-death-in-bali.html

He died of a pulmonary embolism in August 2006 in Greece, and the lawsuit against the cruise line was altered to allege wrongful death.

The lawsuit revolved around a cut that James Mack suffered in his foot in a pool aboard the cruise ship, as well as alleged negligence by the on-board physician.

9 years old and Heather couldn't sit still. Is it possible she could have had ADD or ADHD that went untreated and therefore turned into a Behavioral Issue? Or isn't that possible?

Hmmm, now I have another question... James Mack ended up confined to a wheelchair. How long after the cut on his foot did he become restricted to a wheelchair for mobility? Just bc he couldn't use one foot doesn't mean he couldn't use the other, so I do wonder why he didn't use something to aid him in walking. I also wonder why they would feel he couldn't go anywhere just bc he was using a wheelchair.

Having said that, if he was confined to a wheelchair for multiple years, and he wasn't moving his legs around, an embolism could have formed. That's common in sedentary people. However, it's also common that someone sedentary may need some kind of medicine to either control or prevent a pulmonary embolism.

Sheila spoke of how their daughter was a key witness in the "wrongful death" suit. Was she a key witness bc her life was affected by her dad not being alongside them wherever they went, only movies and the like but not ventures or excursions when they went sightseeing? That's ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. People in wheelchairs raise children every single day year in and year out. Look at all the wonderful service people going back to their families with missing limbs for crying out loud. Or people losing limbs to cancer or other debilitating diseases.

Heather was a spoiled rotten brat and its such a shame that she was never really taught from a young age how to behave or control herself with respect.

Why did TS carry the suitcase containing Sheila’s body up to his room on the 6th floor? I don’t understand why he did that. Why not just leave it in the room on the 3rd floor until they were ready to try to check out of the hotel?

I sometimes wonder if HM did the murder .. and TS did the clean up .. getting his fingerprints on the broken glass and CCTV of him carrying the suitcase pointlessly to the 6th floor. I wonder whose idea that was?

I'm still curious why Heather was using Reyes-Mack for her Facebook. Odd considering her mother's maiden name is von Wiese. So where'd Heather get the Reyes from? Maybe an exbf?

This is all just so crazy. The police reports show ALOT of discord but man when viewing Heather's videos she seems absolutely normal. Some enjoyable. The videos with her mom seem happy, not Heather giggling viciously, but instead as though it was funny bc her mom said the f word lol. The videos with her friends seem normal. Even the ones of Heather by herself cussing seem normal. Lots of kids do that. So why the night and day in Heather when it came to her mother? Why is it her mom that's the person she lashed out on whenever something didn't go right? Is it bc of it being such a vicious cycle?

I can see how what the spokesperson said would be confusing, Jersey Girl .... and I have a feeling that the spokesperson was being a bit harsh and scary.

Inside Kerobokan prison, where HM can expect to be incarcerated, the rule is this apparently ....

"The Real Truth - Exclusive Look inside Kerobokan Prison [2012]

Inmate mothers who have given birth to babies during their incarceration are allowed to keep their babies in their cells, until approximately 6 months of age. Then their families take care of them since everyone agrees prison is no place for an innocent."

http://www.phaseloop.com/foreignprisoners/prison-indonesia03.html

Here is another article about Kerobokan prison .. for other details about incarceration there. The article is only about a year old.

Thank you for this SouthAussie.

"The body of a Chicago woman murdered and found stuffed in a suitcase on the island of Bali last week has been returned to the U.S., where a second autopsy will be conducted, her brother said Wednesday.

William Wiese told the Tribune the FBI accompanied his sister’s body back from Indonesia on a flight that arrived Wednesday at Dulles International Airport in Virginia. He said an autopsy will be performed at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

Wiese said he suspects Schaefer showed up in Bali without his sister’s prior knowledge. The brother said von Wiese-Mack was excited about the trip when they last spoke.

“I think she was hoping it would be a fresh start for her and Heather,” he said. “She was such an optimist. She was forever trying to help that girl.”

Wiese said the family is planning a September memorial service in Chicago."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-bali-suitcase-murder-20140820-story.html

BBM

I think same link... I wonder why refuse to police or a judge is in the reports instead of just saying she's already seeking professional help? Or was that recent but brother thnks therapy went on for years? I'm wondering if therapy for Heather's behavior started in 2011/1012 around when she was arrested or if it actually did start prior as Sheila's brother suggests...or is her brother suggesting that Sheila tried to get Heather to counseling but she wouldn't go, wouldn't cooperate? How should that statement be taken?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-bali-suitcase-murder-20140820-story.html

“I think my sister loved Heather more than anything,” Wiese said. “She would seek our input and advice. She tried so hard to help Heather through the years with therapists and psychiatrists. It was always a struggle to get Heather to (cooperate).”

Hmmm, now I have another question... James Mack ended up confined to a wheelchair. How long after the cut on his foot did he become restricted to a wheelchair for mobility? Just bc he couldn't use one foot doesn't mean he couldn't use the other, so I do wonder why he didn't use something to aid him in walking. I also wonder why they would feel he couldn't go anywhere just bc he was using a wheelchair.

Having said that, if he was confined to a wheelchair for multiple years, and he wasn't moving his legs around, an embolism could have formed. That's common in sedentary people. However, it's also common that someone sedentary may need some kind of medicine to either control or prevent a pulmonary embolism.

Sheila spoke of how their daughter was a key witness in the "wrongful death" suit. Was she a key witness bc her life was affected by her dad not being alongside them wherever they went, only movies and the like but not ventures or excursions when they went sightseeing? That's ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. People in wheelchairs raise children every single day year in and year out. Look at all the wonderful service people going back to their families with missing limbs for crying out loud. Or people losing limbs to cancer or other debilitating diseases.

Heather was a spoiled rotten brat and its such a shame that she was never really taught from a young age how to behave or control herself with respect.

This doesn't really relate to what you were saying, but...
The father was 76 yrs. old when he died, IIRC. He was quite up there in years to have such a young child.
And Sheila was 43 when she had Heather. Having a snotty teenager when you're going through menopause can be especially trying.

I don't understand what Heather had to testify as a key witness that would have screwed her up or caused depression. I thought children are not usually put through the wringer in being a key witness. Why mention it as some excuse for her behavior later? It seems odd.

What would have happened to her half million dollars if she had been institutionalized? Would it have gone to the institution? If Heather's behavior had been stabilized in an institution at the age of 15, would her mother have been able to request the money in 2011 when Heather was 15?

Sheila moved into her husband's home, the one he got from his previous wife. Was she borrowing money against the home between his death and the settlement ... or perhaps as a couple they borrowed money with the house as collateral? Did her husband leave her enough money to pay out the mortgage and the taxes on the house for one years? Sheila's settlement was slightly more than the mortgage and the remaining half million was intended for Heather. If Sheila was awarded her daughter's inheritance when Heather was 15, then it's very likely that Heather was out of control angry at her mother for the last three years.

Great questions otto, I wonder...

This is all just so crazy. The police reports show ALOT of discord but man when viewing Heather's videos she seems absolutely normal. Some enjoyable. The videos with her mom seem happy, not Heather giggling viciously, but instead as though it was funny bc her mom said the f word lol. The videos with her friends seem normal. Even the ones of Heather by herself cussing seem normal. Lots of kids do that. So why the night and day in Heather when it came to her mother? Why is it her mom that's the person she lashed out on whenever something didn't go right? Is it bc of it being such a vicious cycle?

I'm wondering about that too, I read one fight was over HM doing/not doing chores, which to be honest is pretty common, so why it escalated to violence I can't understand. The first time the hitting started was when intervention was needed.

Probably whenever her mother said 'no' to any request, so basically any time her mother was being just that, a mother, HM would give her a beating. Absolutely shocking and disturbing behaviour.

I would have given up a long time ago, what's the point in trying to love/discipline a child who's then going to knock my teeth out, my lawd. :scared: jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ula