Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia asks Indonesia to rethink death penalty for two drug offenders
Reuters 6 hours ago
http://news.yahoo.com/australia-asks-indonesia-rethink-death-penalty-two-drug-032813174.html

"Indonesian President Joko Widodo, who took office in October, has pledged no clemency for drug offenders, drawing criticism from rights activists at home and abroad."

Thanks Curious Me :seeya:

I am against any ruling which carries the Death Penalty as a Sentence (in any Country).

23 January 2015, 6.02am AEDT
http://theconversation.com/bali-nin...nd-courts-play-out-in-death-row-lottery-36205
Bali Nine: hypocrisy, politics and courts play out in death row lottery
One of the strongest arguments against the death penalty is that its administration is fundamentally unfair.
Too often, the question of who receives a death sentence and whether and when it is actually carried out becomes more a matter of politics than of facts and law.

I found this link has concise an understandable overview of the Death Penalty and Law in Indonesia -
http://www.deathpenaltyworldwide.org/country-search-post.cfm?country=Indonesia

It seems that no matter which article I look at from whatever country, there is HM flashing her dazzling string ring around. She couldn't be more obvious if she put a neon sign on her head.

I have seen more of that string ring than I have seen of her baby bump lately, and much much much more of the string ring than I have ever seen of any sorrow or remorse for her mother's murder. That remains distinctly absent. I wonder if she is saving that act for the trial?

bali___suitcase_murder_N2.jpg

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/suitcase-murder-accused-fight-back-against-charges-6222118

At least as many murderers are sentenced to death each year as drug dealers -- probably more. And all told, it's not many. About ten death sentences a year are laid down in Indonesia. Most people convicted of crimes which potentially carry a death sentence, and by a big measure, aren't sentenced to the firing squad.

[SBM]

I would like to revise the claim I made above.

On Jan. 15 of this year, I posted an analysis of all the people actually executed in Indonesia this century, up to the middle of January 2015. (Post #6, on page 1 of this thread.) There were 25 executions: 16 (about two-thirds) were murderers and 3 were terrorists. As these terrorists killed people as part of their crimes, this means that over three-fourths of those put to death in Indonesia were proven killers. Six, or about one-fourth, were drug traffickers.

I also noted that of those remaining on death row at that time, just under half were drug traffickers.

However, according to data in the excellent source FigTree posted upthread, as of Dec. 31. 2012, the population on death row in Indonesia looked like this: Of the 133 people facing the death penalty, there were 71 convicted of drug offenses, 60 convicted for murder, and 2 for terrorism. When I add back in the offenders executed between 2000 and 2013, the totals are:

Murderers: 73
Terrorists: 5
Drug traffickers: 76

Murderers are 47 percent, terrorists are 4 percent (so killers of both kinds are 51 percent) and drug traffickers are 49 percent.

So while it is true that before the most recent set of executions, you were far more likely to have actually had the death penalty actually employed against you if you were a murderer, this would appear to no longer be the case. Not only are there slightly more drug traffickers currently awaiting execution, but the current Indonesian president has publicly committed himself to executing drug offenders, including the execution of six of them only days ago.

This new information does confirm another point I made earlier this month: only about ten death sentences are laid down a year in Indonesia, which is quite small compared to the United States. And quite small compared to the number of murder prosecutions carried out annually in Indonesia.

http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.co...haust-appeals/
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital...t_in_Indonesia
and
http://www.deathpenaltyworldwide.org...ntry=Indonesia

I wonder what the sentence range is for conspiracy to commit murder in Illinois.

Good question! I looked it up. Here’s the dirt.

Illinois Compiled Statutes

Sec. 8-2. Conspiracy. (c) Sentence.
[cuts]
(3) A person convicted of conspiracy to commit any of the following offenses shall be sentenced for a Class 1 felony:
(A) first degree murder (720 ILCS 5/9-1);

According to the Legislative Research Unit of the Illinois General Assembly the “usual prison or jail term” for a Class 1 felony in Illinois is 4 to 15 years. The “possible extended term” is 15 to 30 years.

The Illinois Compiled Statutes covers when an “extended term” can be imposed. I’ve copied out only those factors which I believe could be relevant in this case so there are lots of cuts:

Sec. 5-5-3.2. Factors in Aggravation and Extended-Term Sentencing.

(a) The following factors shall be accorded weight in favor of imposing a term of imprisonment or may be considered by the court as reasons to impose a more severe sentence under Section 5-8-1 or Article 4.5 of Chapter V:

(1) the defendant's conduct caused or threatened serious harm;

(2) the defendant received compensation for committing the offense;

(3) the defendant has a history of prior delinquency or criminal activity;

(7) the sentence is necessary to deter others from committing the same crime;

(8) the defendant committed the offense against a person 60 years of age or older or such person's property;

(23) the defendant committed the offense against a person who was elderly, disabled, or infirm by taking advantage of a family or fiduciary relationship with the elderly, disabled, or infirm person;

(b) The following factors, related to all felonies, may be considered by the court as reasons to impose an extended term sentence under Section 5-8-2 upon any offender:

(2) When a defendant is convicted of any felony and the court finds that the offense was accompanied by exceptionally brutal or heinous behavior indicative of wanton cruelty; or

(3) When a defendant is convicted of any felony committed against:
(ii) a person 60 years of age or older at the time of the offense or such person's property;

(1.5) When a defendant is convicted of first degree murder, after having been previously convicted of domestic battery (720 ILCS 5/12-3.2) or aggravated domestic battery (720 ILCS 5/12-3.3) committed on the same victim or after having been previously convicted of violation of an order of protection (720 ILCS 5/12-30) in which the same victim was the protected person.

Strictly speaking, I don't think Heather's time in juvie for assaulting her mother qualifies her for the last aggravation above, but I leave it in to make the point that Illinois law considers repeated domestic violence a very serious matter.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K8-2

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=073000050K5-5-3.2

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/lru/2010PFC.pdf

And I noticed this line in one of the articles...

Schaefer was charged last week with premeditated murder and Mack is charged with assisting her boyfriend in the killing of her mother, Sheila von Weise-Mack.

http://news.yahoo.com/u-couple-present-defense-bali-suitcase-murder-case-100935369.html

Is there such a charge? Assisting in murder? Doesn't say premeditated for her in that article. I guess at this point nothing is going to make sense to scramble all the facts so that the bribe won't look so obvious?

Heather, as I understand it, is being charged under Articles 55-57 of the Indonesian Code, and this potentially carries the same penalty as premeditated murder:

CHAPTER V
Participation in punishable acts

Article 55
(1) As principals of a punishable act shall be punished:
1st, those who perpetrate, cause others to perpetrate, or take a direct part in the execution of the act;
2nd-ly, those who intentionally provoke the execution of the act by gifts, promises, abuse of power or of respect, force, threat or deception or by providing an opportunity, means or information.
(2) In respect to the provoker only those acts which have been deliberately provoked and their consequences shall be considered.

Article 56
As accomplices to a crime shall be punished:
1st, the persons who deliberately aid in the commission of the crime;
2nd-ly, the persons who deliberately provide opportunity, means or information for the commission of the crime.

Article 57
(1) The maximum of the basic punishments imposed upon the crime in complicity shall be mitigated by one third.
(2) If it concerns a crime on which the capital punishment or a crime on which life imprisonment is imposed, a maximum imprisonment of fifteen years shall be imposed.
(3) The additional punishment for complicity shall be the same as for the crime itself.
(4) In determining the punishment only those acts shall be considered which the accomplice has deliberately facilitated or furthered, together with their consequences.

Well if this bribe works for her, wouldn't you love to see some FBI agents waiting to cuff her the minute the plane lands on US soil after she's deported?

Of course she probably will bribe her way out of being deported as well. In fact, she'll probably end up on some probation deal like SC and will be upping her required monthly allowance request to her new generous trustee.

:notgood:

MOO

I wonder what she tells Tommy. "Don't worry, be strong, Stella and I will come and visit you every week until you are executed"?

10576074_577052385736451_1683729032_n.jpg

Think I solved the mystery of the Blue Bracelet. From an Instagram account dedicated to TS' deceased ex

OT: Here's the other case I was thinking about, arrested for father's murder son wants to use share of estate money for defense. Smh. I had forgotten the Menendez brothers used 1.5 mil of the parents they killed money for their murder defense.

So HM getting money for being involved with the murder of her mother seems to be nothing new in the court system that reward murders. Jmo

http://nypost.com/2015/01/14/son-accused-of-murdering-hedge-fund-dad-to-share-in-1-6m-will/

ciao

View attachment 68100

Think I solved the mystery of the Blue Bracelet. From an Instagram account dedicated to TS' deceased ex

Great job whatthewhaat! That damn bracelet was driving me nuts. So he wears a bracelet dedicated to his deceased ex gf while attending his trial for murdering his current gf's mother. Classy. :notgood:

I wonder what she tells Tommy. "Don't worry, be strong, Stella and I will come and visit you every week until you are executed"?

Nope, she says stay strong, I'll have us out of here in no time. He really has no brain cells left above the waist I think. ;)

MOO

Can anyone find a picture of his first court appearance that shows him wearing that blue bracelet? We saw him wearing the engagement string but it's hard to tell if he's wearing the bracelet dedicated to RS. In the second appearance, the engagement string is missing but the bracelet is front and center. Hmm....:thinking:

ETA: ironically RS died doing humanitarian work in Africa on April 7, 2014. One year later TS will become a father around the same time and will likely learn his fate on a 1st degree murder charge in a Bali prison.

Can anyone find a picture of his first court appearance that shows him wearing that blue bracelet? We saw him wearing the engagement string but it's hard to tell if he's wearing the bracelet dedicated to RS. In the second appearance, the engagement string is missing but the bracelet is front and center. Hmm....:thinking:

ETA: ironically RS died doing humanitarian work in Africa on April 7, 2014. One year later TS will become a father around the same time and will likely learn his fate on a 1st degree murder charge in a Bali prison.

I was wondering the same thing about his first appearance. I couldn't find any evidence of him wearing it the first time, which leads me to wonder if he swapped them out..

I wonder if they're just telling everyone they're engaged and the string Heather is wearing is the temporary ring but they discovered that men don't wear engagement strings so someone advised him it was actually offensive to wear it?

Looking at that bottom picture, it just occurred to me that strategically, TS's lawyers would have told him he should show remorse and emotion in front of the judges. So those tears are probably really working in his favour for a more lenient sentence.

MOO

IMO - the white shirts are as a matter of respect and 'supposed' mourning clothing for the loss of a family member.

Buddhism: In many Asian cultures, white clothing is worn as a sign of mourning. It is the traditional color of funeral garb.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_clothing_(religious)

Yeah, if it was their choice to wear white. But I really don't see either Heather or Tommy mourning Sheila's death, only that they got caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member