'Barefoot Contessa' taking heat for repeatedly rejecting 'Make-A-Wish' cancer patient

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ina Garten does not owe the public an explanation for anything. Someone asked her to do something, she said her schedule did not allow her to do it. Period. End. Done.

The Food Network does not owe the public an explanation either, beyond what they have already stated.

I don't get where just because someone asks a person (celebrity or not) to fulfill a request, that the person is then required to say 'yes'. Its absurd.
To then report (probably for pay) the perceived slight to TMZ or other tabloid type media, amounts to an extortion attempt, imo.

Anyhow, I guess the heat got too hot for the original accuser:

http://www.angelsforenzo.com/pleasestopthemadness.htm

"PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS- This all started with a call from “Make a Wish“ on Friday warning me that TMZ published a story about Enzo’s wish being denied. WHAT? WHY? We were already moved on and getting excited about swimming with dolphins. ..."

"I want to make it VERY CLEAR we have NO ANGER OR ILL WILL toward Ina Garten. Enzo made his request and she declined, end of that story. As much as I know it has REALLY angered people, she has that right. Furthermore it is not our wish to hurt Ina Garten in anyway. Enzo found great comfort in watching her cook when he was going through his toughest times and for that we are so grateful."

It goes on ...

I've watched this woman cook for years. She can cook in her sleep, and what she makes isn't that complicated. Oooo, a salad with croutons! Oooo, brownies with icing!

Pick up one of her cookbooks and you'll see what I mean.

Her show revolves around the fact that she hangs around the kitchen all day letting her husband taste her cooking. I wouldn't say she has a high-pressure lifestyle. If she has time to cook and eat all these dinners for friends, then she has time to give to charity.

Whatever the circumstances, she should know enough about bad publicity to go ahead and cook a meal for a sick kid.

Seems like a no-brainer to me!

Otherwise, the Make-A-Wish foundation should just remove her from the list forever.

I've never heard of someone who is so busy they don't have time for a terminally ill child. :( Making them wait months? What if they don't have months to live?

JMOO :cow: :cow: :cow:

Otherwise, the Make-A-Wish foundation should just remove her from the list forever.

I've never heard of someone who is so busy they don't have time for a terminally ill child. :( Making them wait months? What if they don't have months to live?

JMOO :cow: :cow: :cow:

MAWF apparently still considers her a friend.

The child is not terminal. His mother is understandably upset by the references to that, which I would be as well.

http://www.angelsforenzo.com/pleasestopthemadness.htm

What makes me REALLY sad is how the press has been writing and referring to Enzo as a “DYING” child or a “TERMINAL” child making his “LAST DYING WISH.” Just typing it makes my blood go cold. Enzo is NOT dying or terminal, he IS very sick but he is VERY MUCH alive and the most ALIVE person I have EVER known! He has two beautiful, sensitive, loving sisters who have been very private through out his treatments and I feel terrible that they had to see that OVER and OVER again. Can you imagine how that makes them feel?

I don't know what the deal is with this publicity, but I really hope people see this and stop saying this little boy is going to die. She says he will be done with his protocol in June, and this type of cancer has a very high cure rate.

The bad publicity must have gotten to someone, because Ina will now meet with Enzo at Food Network:

From ABC News http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/barefoot-cont...

The "Barefoot Contessa" has time to star in her Food Network show, pen cookbooks, and cook at charity luncheons for her well-to-do fans. But apparently, her schedule was too packed to meet a 6-year-old boy stricken with leukemia who requested a cooking session with her through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. She turned him down, twice.

Now, after multiple blogs and news outlets criticized her decision, Garten is inviting Enzo Pereda to the set of "The Barefoot Contessa." "Ina became aware of Enzo's story this weekend and will be calling him today," a spokesperson for Garten said in a statement to ABCNews.com. "She looks forward to inviting him to spend some time with her at the Food Network studios." ....

IMO it does look bad considering she is on FN and she does have a TV show, people!!! If you want to stay on TV cooking or whatever dont have bad PR. The public will turn against you very quickly. If the president isnt too busy then neither should she.

If you dont want to play the game then stay the heck off of TV. Cook from youtube and call it a day. I'm tired of celebrities or wanna be's with TV shows, games or products they want people to buy into, but to give back is just too much of a bother. She wants to be private? Sure that works if you are famous by default, but if you are on TV everyday they come on. Just seems a bit grandstanding snobbery to me.

Ina Garten does not owe the public an explanation for anything. Someone asked her to do something, she said her schedule did not allow her to do it. Period. End. Done.

The Food Network does not owe the public an explanation either, beyond what they have already stated.

I don't get where just because someone asks a person (celebrity or not) to fulfill a request, that the person is then required to say 'yes'. Its absurd.
To then report (probably for pay) the perceived slight to TMZ or other tabloid type media, amounts to an extortion attempt, imo.

It goes on ...

Respectfully edited and BBM. To the best of my knowledge, Food Network has issued NO statement regarding this unfortunate situation, nor has a scathing blog on FN's website elicited any response from executives. I'm not a professional chef or TV cooking personality, but I'd be very happy to cook and/or bake with Enzo.

So if someone is famous, for any reason, the are not allowed to deny a request to a sick child, terminal or not?

Hi Shana, Reading everything here I agree something seems fishy about the family in this case ~ their making the most of the situation with Ina.

That makes me wonder if indeed Ina and her team knew plenty about this family and decided to say no instead of becoming involved with them. I could easily see that happening. If that is true, then using the excuse of being busy was the wrong way to address the situation IMO, and FoodNetwork had to step in to save grace.

What is right or wrong in this case? I don't think we really know enough of the real facts to make a judgement. xox IMO

There is absolutely zero evidence that this family has ever tried to contact Ina outside of Make a Wish foundation. In fact Ina, after all this bad publicity, has apparently decided she can meet with the child.

Well I guess Ina didn't feel that she had the RIGHT to decide for herself, for whatever reason, to not meet with this child, so she caved. Grownups using a child, sick or healthy, to bully another adult to doing what they want, is disgusting. MORE disgusting than the wish not being fulfilled IMO.

Well I guess Ina didn't feel that she had the RIGHT to decide for herself, for whatever reason, to not meet with this child, so she caved. Grownups using a child, sick or healthy, to bully another adult to doing what they want, is disgusting. MORE disgusting than the wish not being fulfilled IMO.

She was basically pressured into doing it. I still see a yes or no as her personal choice (to the original request,) based on what I have read.

I am in agreeance with your thinking. I'm a big fan of Ina's - watch her show and have many of her books, sure she's not for everyone - but she is for me.

Ina has every right to be rich and succesful, with a large business, and now, become known for it - as she built her business from the ground up. That does instantly turn her into celebrity jerk who can't be bothered to meet with a sick child. Who knows what her reasons were, if she in fact choose not to meet with him, because they are her reasons and she is entitled to them. She's a good cook, who has a successful tv show and a series of books, she does not present herself as anything but that.

I think its terrible that this story was pushed by the rag TMZ and the family. Basically, its you did not meet with our sick child so now we'll trash you.

Perhaps it was not Ina's choice or decision to meet with Enzo but that of her employer, Food Network, who determined that Ina should meet with this child due to the bad publicity that this situation has generated. I don't think there is any bullying going on by any of the parties involved: This may very well have been a business decision by FN to avoid further negative publicity.

Perhaps it was not Ina's choice or decision to meet with Enzo but that of her employer, Food Network, who determined that Ina should meet with this child due to the bad publicity that this situation has generated. I don't think there is any bullying going on by any of the parties involved: This may very well have been a business decision by FN to avoid further negative publicity.

I hope she's not passive aggressive. :doughboy:

I ADORE Ina Garten's show, her books and her recipes, The Barefoot Contessa. My DVRs are full of old episodes. I definitely give her the benefit of the doubt.

I have in the past looked at her and Jeffrey's charitable contributions and am pretty sure she gives a lot back.

I ADORE Ina Garten's show, her books and her recipes, The Barefoot Contessa. My DVRs are full of old episodes. I definitely give her the benefit of the doubt.

I have in the past looked at her and Jeffrey's charitable contributions and am pretty sure she gives a lot back.

By her own admission, Ina Garten (and her husband, Jeffrey) is a very private person. How is it that you know about their "charitable contributions"?

I've watched her show a few times, didn't care for it. Based on what I've read on this thread of her behavior, whether or not the child was terminal, it has NOT endeared her to me, and doesn't make me want to watch her show.:razz: I'd be much more inclined to support those celebs like Bobby Flay who do do much for charity!

I've watched her show a few times, didn't care for it. Based on what I've read on this thread of her behavior, whether or not the child was terminal, it has NOT endeared her to me, and doesn't make me want to watch her show.:razz: I'd be much more inclined to support those celebs like Bobby Flay who do do much for charity!

You don't know what she does or does not do for charity. Just because it may not be broadcasted all over doesn't mean she does nothing for children.

:rolleyes:

I hate to jump in here, but when I have watched the Barefoot Contessa, I have always felt that Ina was a snooty person. I don't know if she is or not, but its the impression that one receives when viewing her "dinners".

Besides, what is the problem with showing kindness to anyone? She should be grateful to
have the opportunity in this life to make a child happy . JMO

The child is getting his wish, she's gonna meet with him. All's well that ends well. On to the next celeb scandal...

The child is getting his wish, she's gonna meet with him. All's well that ends well. On to the next celeb scandal...

She's only meeting with him because of the bad PR she got when she turned his wish down 2x. It's interesting that she was able to find time in her schedule once the press got hold of the story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildandfree
Back