Belize - Francesca Matus, 52, & Drew De Voursney, 36, murdered, Corozal, 25 Apr 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm thinking now that Drew may have been the target, despite the fact F was leaving the next day and had supposedly received threats. Anyone else? If someone was going after Francesca I think Drew would be a big deterrent. Plus the fact his plans with his land/dive shop at Ranchito in Corozal weren't working as planned (sorry, no link, so jmo I guess). There were many land disputes there in 2012 according to an article that I will link as soon as I find it again.
http://www.plustvbelize.com/land-controversy-in-ranchito-village-corozal-continues/

Reposting my post # 108
Okay, thank-you for reposting, I missed this.

So the Patchakin Road is otherwise known as the Northern Highway and it runs perpendicular and cuts across the Chan Chen Rd.

It does appear the Chan Chen Rd.runs on the north side of the Northern Highway as well, and since articles indicate they were found close to the Mexican Border and also outside of Chan Chen, I do wonder if they were placed on the far, northern end of that Chan Chen Rd.

How many checkpoints are there at the border? Is it easy to go back and forth between the two countries in rural areas? Easy to cross the river?

Since Drews house was closest to and just west of Scotty's, I'm wondering if they went to his house to tend to his head wound that he obtained from scuba diving that day, and somehow met with nefarious means there.

While robbery may not have been the motive, we don't know if there was a sexual assault that took place, it's possible that all is not what it seems really.

What do we know about the Ranchito location that Drew lived at, other than it was 4 acres, and in a less affluent area than Francesca's home?

Is this map rotated 90 degrees clockwise ... is North on the left?

No Otto, I didn't rotate it. That's how it shows in Google. Scotty's bar should be on the south.
Editing to add: Comparing it to the new map I did, I now see that I might have rotated it slightly, lol.

I'm thinking now that Drew may have been the target, despite the fact F was leaving the next day and had supposedly received threats. Anyone else? If someone was going after Francesca I think Drew would be a big deterrent. Plus the fact his plans with his land/dive shop at Ranchito in Corozal weren't working as planned (sorry, no link, so jmo I guess). There were many land disputes there in 2012 according to an article that I will link as soon as I find it again.
http://www.plustvbelize.com/land-controversy-in-ranchito-village-corozal-continues/
There are different angles for motive for sure, and that is definitely an eye opener.

The government was giving the local Belize citizens land to help combat poverty, and they were turning around and selling it. For $4,000 to $6,000.

The Ranchito land dispute would be well known it sounds like.

Though I definitely wish for there to be justice for Francesca and Drew, I can't help but wish for Drews brother and friend to get the heck out of there. It sounds very corrupt and lawless to me, the lack of policing, and infrastructure of course.

I don't know about this case. It wouldn't take much money to be a King or Queen down there, it seems. Which has all sorts of consequences up and down the chain.

UGH

Is this map rotated 90 degrees clockwise ... is North on the left?

This map shows Scotty's to Patchacan via Chan Chen.
My understanding from what was posted by the Corozal Daily the bodies where found somewhere inside the yellow circle. I haven't read anywhere if on the south side or north side of that main road.

attachment.php

Scottys to Patchacan.png

rbbm.
http://www.belizepolice.bz/index.ph...ews-02-may-2017&catid=54:crimenews&Itemid=231
[h=2]02 May 2017[/h]
COROZAL DISTRICT

MURDER

On the 30th of April 2017 at around 1:30pm, a white in color Isuzu Rodeo was found in a cane field in Paraiso Village, Corozal.

On the 1st of May 2017, police visited a cane field along the Chan Chen/Patchakan Road, Corozal District, where they saw a tall male person (wearing clothing matching the description of those that were last seen on Drew) in an advanced state of decomposition and beneath him was the body of a female also in an advanced state of decomposition (with clothing matching the description of those last seen on Francesca). Police also observed that both persons had tape around their right wrists. The bodies are suspected to be those of Francesca MATUS, Canadian National, and Drew Thomas De VOURSNEY, American National, who were reported missing on the 26th of April 2017. A postmortem examination was conducted on the 2nd of May 2017, at the Northern Regional Hospital, which certified their deaths as due to strangulation. Police continue to collaborate with the US embassy and the Canadian consulate as investigations continue.

Corruption!

No Otto, I didn't rotate it. That's how it shows in Google. Scotty's bar should be on the south.

In this map, Patchakan is south of Chan Chen

Belize b.jpg

ETA: I see that up uploaded another map showing Patchakan south rather than east ... thanks.

Maybe Patchakan is aka Northern Hwy??

Anyway, I found this October 2014 news report about murders in Corozal rather interesting.

... while the murder rate for 2014 is similar to that of 2013 in Corozal, statistics also reveal that all murders committed so far for 2014, are registered in the rural areas and 60% of the murder cases have been solved." (ETA: Even possibly without fingerprint kits and DNA labs)

and

"... Jones Senior and Junior that happened in Ranchito village and then we had the female unidentified that was found between the Chan Chen and Patchakan road

Of particular concern to the Corozal Police Department is the Yo Chen/Patchakan road as several dead bodies have been dumped in the area."

"... the Chan Chen/Patchakan road seems to be a dumping ground for serious issues... "

Makes me wonder if Matus and Devoursney were found close to the aforementioned "dumping area".

http://www.ctv3belizenews.com/index...-same-as-last-year&catid=39:social&Itemid=110

Yes, Interesting.
Also, underneath that article in the news feed, is a story dated Friday, May 5, 2017. Three farmers were robbed of their cash and car and were tied up and thrown in the trunk by 4 men. 3 are in custody and 1 got away. It happened near Ranchito Village. One of the cars involved was also stolen from a woman in Ranchito Village. These guys were armed with guns, but chose to tie up their victims and drive them somewhere else. Hmmm

Yes, Interesting.
Also, underneath that article in the news feed, is a story dated Friday, May 5, 2017. Three farmers were robbed of their cash and car and were tied up and thrown in the trunk by 4 men. 3 are in custody and 1 got away. It happened near Ranchito Village. One of the cars involved was also stolen from a woman in Ranchito Village. These guys were armed with guns, but chose to tie up their victims and drive them somewhere else. Hmmm

This sounds more like land disputes and criminal activity by locals against both locals and foreigners, and corruption in land ownership.

http://www.ctv3belizenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8011:trio-kidnapped-and-robbed-they-managed-to-escape-&catid=40:crime&Itemid=100

Is it possible that Francesca was selling her vehicle and that's why another friend, rather than Drew, was driving her to the airport? That's a long stretch, but maybe she was negotiating a deal on the phone at the bar?

Pure speculation, but ...

This sounds more like land disputes and criminal activity by locals against both locals and foreigners, and corruption in land ownership.

4 men overtook 3 men in Drew's village
Tied up and transported
Stole a vehicle while using another stolen vehicle

Worth a look don't you think?

Someone stole the battery, and the vehicle registration. Is someone else looking to sell an isuzu and needed paperwork and a battery?

4 men overtook 3 men in Drew's village
Tied up and transported
Stole a vehicle while using another stolen vehicle

Worth a look don't you think?

Absolutely! I'm just exploring 1998 isuzu rodeo links in the area. It's certainly possible that she was selling something before leaving the country, which would leave her vulnerable, but would she being doing that the night before she left the country? Was Drew selling something?

I don't think that one person did this, more likely at least two. I don't think that someone was in their car when they were at the restaurant, but I do think it's possible that they encountered someone on the road - perhaps closer to her home - where they were abducted. Maybe the people who did this did not realize that they were abducting a Canadian and someone from the USA until it was too late, so their only course of action was to murder, hide the bodies and vehicle.

It's an awful lot more likely than "the expat best friend and tenant did it". Clearly the tenant has no where to live if he murders the best friend and landlord just before she leaves the country - surely the expat is not that dumb.

Someone stole the battery, and the vehicle registration. Is someone else looking to sell an isuzu and needed paperwork and a battery?

Maybe the plan was to take the car all along and use it as part of a regular scheme. Lure people with cash to buy and rob them. Maybe they like to kill (Dellen Millard) or maybe they were recognized and thought they needed to kill. But the next day, everyone's on the lookout for the vehicle so they have to ditch it. Maybe they took the battery because they needed it for another vehicle.

Maybe I'm just reaching because I would be way more comfortable with the thought of these two being the unfortunate victims of really evil dudes, rather than at the hands of someone they trusted.

The wallet being left behind is a puzzle as is the jewelry, but I don't think we know if the jewelry was worth anything or if Drew had any money in his wallet.
Sounds like these 4 guys are looking for bigger payouts.

Maybe I'm just reaching because I would be way more comfortable with the thought of these two being the unfortunate victims of really evil dudes, rather than at the hands of someone they trusted.

I apologize for quoting my own post. I just wanted to be the first to point out that this was a stupid, insensitive thing to say and I'm sorry.

Deshaies Still Detained By Coro Cops, FBI Assisting
posted (May 8, 2017)
Canadian John Deshaies remains in the custody of Corozal Police tonight. He is the only suspect presently detained for the murder of ...

Here's the report on why police believe that a local with knowledge of the area helped in disposing of the bodies:...

The FBI Police is now assisting local police. On Friday we saw them collecting evidence from Francesca Matus's Isuzu Rodeo - where she and Drew Devourseny were last seen. And Deshaies' pickup - last seen in the driveway at the home was also being scanned by the FBI investigators - it's been impounded at the police compound.
fbi8.5.17.jpg
matus5.4.17a.jpg

The FBI team was also taking samples from another SUV. Police believe that more than one person colluded to kill the couple and local knowledge would have been needed
to take the bodies down this road at the far end of Chan Chen, and put them in a mature canefield that was about to be burned.

If one of the cane farmers hadn't been checking the field before burning, those bodies might not have been found:
The Isuzu Rodeo was also placed in a mature canefield which was about to be burned - again showing local knowledge.

WE should stress that when they are mature, canefields are burnt, which is what was about to happen with the one In Chan Chen where the bodies were dumped.

RS&BBM

Full story: http://7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=40247

I apologize for quoting my own post. I just wanted to be the first to point out that this was a stupid, insensitive thing to say and I'm sorry.
Well you said something that i must admit to thinking in regards to the particular horror of betrayal ( if that is what it was ).imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back