GUILTY Belize - Superintendent Henry Jemmott, shot/body in sea, San Pedro Town, 28 May 2021 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I checked, the nearest open Canadian embassy is Guatemala City.
Here’s the government website link of what their embassy will do [edited to make important correction; “can do”, not, “will do”] for its citizens, I doubt she needs any of these services as she’s being covered by the richest, most influential family in all of Belize.
Honestly, I think it would be pretty ballsy to ask Canadian taxpayers to pitch in to help with the limited services offered by their embassy when she already has the best lawyer in the country working for her.

Arrest and detention - Travel.gc.ca
If a Canadian citizen is arrested and detained abroad, Canadian officials abroad can:
  • ask the appropriate authorities for immediate and regular access to you
  • at your request, notify your family or friends of the situation and let them know how they can help
  • help you communicate with a representative, family or friends if direct communication is not possible or the need is urgent
  • contact your relatives or friends on your behalf to request funds
  • recommend that you hire a lawyer and approach family, friends or a local legal aid society if you can’t afford to pay
  • provide an up-to-date and accurate list of local lawyers and legal translation service providers
  • provide you and your family with general information on the local legal and prison system and approximate times for court actions
  • obtain information about the status of your case and encourage authorities to process it without undue delay
  • advocate for your fair and equal treatment under local laws
  • advocate to ensure that your health and well-being are protected, including basic nutrition, medical and dental care
  • transmit concerns through official channels about any treatment that could affect your health and well-being to local officials and prison representatives
  • arrange for the purchase, at your expense, and if permitted, of necessary food supplements, essential clothing and other basic items not available through the prison system
  • deliver letters and permitted reading material if normal postal services are unavailable
  • undertake clemency intervention if you are charged or convicted of a crime punishable by death
  • inform you of transfer of offender options – either by treaty or by administrative arrangement with the country where you are imprisoned – that may allow you to serve your sentence in a Canadian prison and provide you with the documents to apply for a transfer if you are eligible
Canadian officials abroad cannot:
  • get you out of jail
  • post bail, pay lawyers’ fees, or pay fines
  • try to obtain preferential treatment for you or exempt you from the due process of local law
  • provide legal advice, interpret local laws and interfere in legal matters, criminal defence cases or judicial affairs in another country
  • recommend lawyers or guarantee their reliability or competence in the matter at hand
  • become involved in matters between you and your lawyer
  • investigate a crime or death or intervene in a local police investigation
  • forward or deliver parcels entering or leaving the country, or clear them through customs
  • bypass prison rules on what can and cannot be brought into or taken out of the detention facility
  • make travel or accommodation arrangements for your family or friends
The Government of Canada cannot intervene in ongoing legal proceedings in other countries or regions unless it is requested to do so by local authorities. These requests are rare. The procedures required in legal proceedings or police investigations may be different from the procedures in the Canadian legal system. If you are involved in these proceedings, you may face long delays in the effort to resolve your case.

If your international human rights are known to have been violated, the Government of Canada may take steps to pressure the foreign authorities to abide by their international human rights obligations and provide basic minimum standards of protection.

Qué pena, nearest is Mexico, as far as I can see. Doesn't matter only interesting in the the fact that that there has been no mention of Embassy support.

Last edited:
Long post.. all jmo

I previously suggested in this thread that she may have accidentally shot him while removing his gun - perhaps because it was in the way while she was (perhaps) “giving him a massage” while he was sitting/reclining on the dock and she was laying in his lap facing downward. I also speculated that both individuals were possibly very intoxicated.

While I still believe that alcohol (and possibly drugs) played a major role in what happened, I now think I jumped to conclusions. I think I was wrong about what might have happened, and wish that I could remove my earlier post.

Being familiar with semi automatic handguns, and hearing her detailed explanation of events, I now find her account to be credible and believe that she may in fact have been massaging his shoulder with her left hand while (foolishly for an inexperienced and inebriated operator) attempting to release an empty magazine from the grip of the Glock handgun in her right hand (specifically using her right thumb).

I think that while attempting to pull/slide the magazine release button (located on the upper left side of the grip, behind the trigger guard) back toward her with her right thumb, she may have inadvertently squeezed her entire right hand.

If she had her finger inside the trigger guard and on the trigger (which is a big no no - but something that is easy and almost natural for a novice to do) while doing so she could have accidentally pulled the trigger (even if the gun had Glock’s trigger safety feature). If there was a bullet in the chamber, the weapon would have discharged.

With semi automatic handguns, removing the magazine does not guarantee that the gun is unloaded. There can still be a round/cartridge/bullet (all the same) in the chamber (which is located above the spring loaded magazine below).

Each time a semi auto is fired, a bullet travels down the barrel and a “slide” on top of the gun automatically “racks” back and forth. This racking back and forth of the slide accomplishes two things: it ejects the previous round’s metal casing, and it allows a new/next bullet to be pushed up into the chamber from the spring loaded magazine below. So the chamber is automatically re-loaded each time the weapon is fired - as long as there are still bullets in the magazine being pushed up from below. But removing the magazine (full or empty) will not remove any last round that may have been pushed up into the chamber via the auto loading mechanism.

An untrained operator may not have ever learned this. A drunk operator who may have once learned it could easily forget it. Not remembering that there could be a round in the chamber is the cause of many accidents with semi-auto handguns.

If she was “practicing” unloading the gun by:

-releasing the loaded magazine from the grip
- manually removing all the bullets/cartridges from the magazine and placing them on the dock
- re-inserting the now-empty magazine back into the grip of the gun (thinking that she had successfully unloaded the gun)

she could still have been holding a loaded gun (again, if there was a round in the chamber).

Squeezing her right hand in a subsequent (or next) practice attempt to pull/slide the mag release button back toward her in order to release the empty magazine (while also carelessly having her finger inside the trigger guard) could have easily resulted in an accidental discharge. Not only would she have thought the gun was unloaded, but she would have thought she was only trying to release an already-unloaded magazine.

To me the fact that there were numerous un-fired cartridges lying on the dock - along with one ejected metal casing, confirms her story.

Semi auto manufacturers have often placed the mag release button, the safety lever, and the slide-open lock all on the upper left side of the gun (for right handlers) so that all operations (except a manual rack to load the chamber, or a manual rack to clear the chamber) could be done with one (the right) hand. But it takes coordination, dexterity, and practice - like typing text on a small phone with your thumb while holding the phone with just one (the same) hand.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I think it’s highly likely that alcohol and/or drugs played a major role in this tragedy. Guns and alcohol don’t mix. And never point a gun at anything (in any direction) you don’t intend to shoot. The firearm shouldn’t have been there, and an inebriated and untrained person shouldn’t have been practicing with the firearm. I think this was a tragic accident.

All jmo

Last edited:
So, it the DM's interpretation of Belize law?

I hesitate to explain to you about DM’s position with regard to reporting because I don’t know. I’m sorry that I can’t be more helpful. But I bet if you read all the articles, or whichever ones you could still find, you’d see the sources of their reports about the charges, the fines and other potential ramifications and how that would fit together to prosecute this death. Then you could make your own decision about DM interpreting the laws of Belize.

I hesitate to explain to you about DM’s position with regard to reporting because I don’t know. I’m sorry that I can’t be more helpful. But I bet if you read all the articles, or whichever ones you could still find, you’d see the sources of their reports about the charges, the fines and other potential ramifications and how that would fit together to prosecute this death. Then you could make your own decision about DM interpreting the laws of Belize.
Speculation on the part of DM, IMO.

@Rush4087 . I’m liking what you described. This story does seem more plausible now to explain why there was unused shells on the dock , even the rubbing of his shoulder after a days fishing seems plausible now it’s put like that rather than a massage which immediately sounds a bit more intimate.

So, it the DM's interpretation of Belize law?
Not really. It's their "source's" view, presumably based on experience. You're welcome to disregard it, but I haven't seen anything contradictory in MSM.

Sources with knowledge of the island's secretive justice system said the punishment could alternatively be just a fine of around $20,000 Belizean dollars, or $10,000 in US money.
Canadian socialite Jasmine Hartin, 32, is charged with manslaughter by negligence of Belize cop | Daily Mail Online

Long post.. all jmo

I previously suggested in this thread that she may have accidentally shot him while removing his gun - perhaps because it was in the way while she was (perhaps) “giving him a massage” while he was sitting/reclining on the dock and she was laying in his lap facing downward. I also speculated that both individuals were possibly very intoxicated.

While I still believe that alcohol (and possibly drugs) played a major role in what happened, I now think I jumped to conclusions. I think I was wrong about what might have happened, and wish that I could remove my earlier post.

Being familiar with semi automatic handguns, and hearing her detailed explanation of events, I now find her account to be credible and believe that she may in fact have been massaging his shoulder with her left hand while (foolishly for an inexperienced and inebriated operator) attempting to release an empty magazine from the grip of the Glock handgun in her right hand (specifically using her right thumb).

I think that while attempting to pull/slide the magazine release button (located on the upper left side of the grip, behind the trigger guard) back toward her with her right thumb, she may have inadvertently squeezed her entire right hand.

If she had her finger inside the trigger guard and on the trigger (which is a big no no - but something that is easy and almost natural for a novice to do) while doing so she could have accidentally pulled the trigger (even if the gun had Glock’s trigger safety feature). If there was a bullet in the chamber, the weapon would have discharged.

With semi automatic handguns, removing the magazine does not guarantee that the gun is unloaded. There can still be a round/cartridge/bullet (all the same) in the chamber (which is located above the spring loaded magazine below).

Each time a semi auto is fired, a bullet travels down the barrel and a “slide” on top of the gun automatically “racks” back and forth. This racking back and forth of the slide accomplishes two things: it ejects the previous round’s metal casing, and it allows a new/next bullet to be pushed up into the chamber from the spring loaded magazine below. So the chamber is automatically re-loaded each time the weapon is fired - as long as there are still bullets in the magazine being pushed up from below. But removing the magazine (full or empty) will not remove any last round that may have been pushed up into the chamber via the auto loading mechanism.

An untrained operator may not have ever learned this. A drunk operator who may have once learned it could easily forget it. Not remembering that there could be a round in the chamber is the cause of many accidents with semi-auto handguns.

- manually removing all the bullets/cartridges from the magazine and placing them on the dock
- re-inserting the now-empty magazine back into the grip of the gun (thinking that she had successfully unloaded the gun)

she could still have been holding a loaded gun (again, if there was a round in the chamber).

Squeezing her right hand in a subsequent (or next) practice attempt to pull/slide the mag release button back toward her in order to release the empty magazine (while also carelessly having her finger inside the trigger guard) could have easily resulted in an accidental discharge. Not only would she have thought the gun was unloaded, but she would have thought she was only trying to release an already-unloaded magazine.

To me the fact that there were numerous un-fired cartridges lying on the dock - along with one ejected metal casing, confirms her story.

Semi auto manufacturers have often placed the mag release button, the safety lever, and the slide-open lock all on the upper left side of the gun (for right handlers) so that all operations (except a manual rack to load the chamber, or a manual rack to clear the chamber) could be done with one (the right) hand. But it takes coordination, dexterity, and practice - like typing text on a small phone with your thumb while holding the phone with just one (the same) hand.

As I mentioned at the beginning, I think it’s highly likely that alcohol and/or drugs played a major role in this tragedy. Guns and alcohol don’t mix. And never point a gun at anything (in any direction) you don’t intend to shoot. The firearm shouldn’t have been there, and an inebriated and untrained person shouldn’t have been practicing with the firearm. I think this was a tragic accident.

All jmo

Excellent post, spot on with the details, I was a gun club member for many years and although I mostly used rifles, the same applies with respect to the bullet in the chamber - so many safety routines all concentrated on checking the chamber thoroughly even when a magazine was removed as it is one of the most common safety mistakes with weapons. Nobody trusts a weapon unless they check the chamber for themselves, even if an experienced gun handler has handed you a gun and told you the chamber is empty, they will expect you to check again yourself.

The claim of an accidental discharge is the bit that is really open to interpretation, no witnesses to dispute any such claims but how accidental is really the question given that a quality gun like a Glock 17 doesn't just randomly fire. Although it lacks a manual safety catch, the trigger does have an integrated safety mechanism that means a deliberate trigger pull is needed to fire it - ie it can't fire from being dropped / knocked etc.

So I agree that it is plausible that it accidently went off when trying to remove the empty magazine for Henry to refill, but the fact is that the gun was pointing at his head and there was a finger on the trigger that pulled the trigger.

Number 1 rule for handling a gun is to always assume it is loaded and point it away from yourself and other people at all times (unless intending to fire it at a target). I would have also thought Henry would have told her the same if he was coaching her on weapons usage. I'm fairly sure that even if he was intoxicated we would have instinctively told her to point it away from him as she attempted to remove the magazine - after all she had done it several times in his presence and shortly before the shooting.

There is a photo in the media showing Jasmine holding a large automatic weapon after target practice, she must have been familiar with basic safety rules of where to point a gun. She is even shown using some finger discipline in the photo so has at some point been told where to put her trigger finger when not ready to fire - although not in the correct position in the photo - should really be well above trigger on the stock of the gun - it does show she knows about an outstretched finger position.

Also the proper process for unloading a weapon is to empty the chamber after removing the magazine, given the magazine had previously been removed and the bullets from it emptied, the chamber check / unload should have been done anyway as part of that process.

Very dangerous gun discipline especially given that somebody was supposed to be teaching somebody about how to use a weapon - all of the above safety rules come well before learning to load / unload a magazine.

So I try to image myself sat behind somebody, so close they fall "back on to me" after being shot, then image how I must be positioned to have the gun in my right hand pointing just behind their right ear while I'm "struggling" to remove a magazine - I just couldn't do it - that gun should have been pointing at the sea.

If I was to believe that Jasmine didn't intend to shoot Henry, and that it was accidental trigger pull when trying to remove the magazine - then did she pull the trigger thinking it might release what was jamming the magazine? Was she foolishly playing with the gun pretending to shoot him and expecting the chamber to be empty? Maybe she picked the gun up, pointed it, pulled the trigger deliberately but expected it just to "click"?

I can't imagine Henry asking an inexperienced person to remove the magazine from a loaded gun whilst she sat directly behind him with no free space to point the weapon - just so unsafe - so I don't believe that story.

Whilst never wanting to blame a victim, the owner of the gun is always responsible for the safety of that weapon especially when handing it to an untrained person - and I think this is what this case boils down to, who was neglectful of gun safety at the time - Jasmine, Henry or both of them?

Last edited:
Excellent post, spot on with the details, I was a gun club member for many years and although I mostly used rifles, the same applies with respect to the bullet in the chamber - so many safety routines all concentrated on checking the chamber thoroughly even when a magazine was removed as it is one of the most common safety mistakes with weapons. Nobody trusts a weapon unless they check the chamber for themselves, even if an experienced gun handler has handed you a gun and told you the chamber is empty, they will expect you to check again yourself.

The claim of an accidental discharge is the bit that is really open to interpretation, no witnesses to dispute any such claims but how accidental is really the question given that a quality gun like a Glock 17 doesn't just randomly fire. Although it lacks a manual safety catch, the trigger does have an integrated safety mechanism that means a deliberate trigger pull is needed to fire it - ie it can't fire from being dropped / knocked etc.

So I agree that it is plausible that it accidently went off when trying to remove the empty magazine for Henry to refill, but the fact is that the gun was pointing at his head and there was a finger on the trigger that pulled the trigger.

Number 1 rule for handling a gun is to always assume it is loaded and point it away from yourself and other people at all times (unless intending to fire it at a target). I would have also thought Henry would have told her the same if he was coaching her on weapons usage. I'm fairly sure that even if he was intoxicated we would have instinctively told her to point it away from him as she attempted to remove the magazine - after all she had done it several times in his presence and shortly before the shooting.

There is a photo in the media showing Jasmine holding a large automatic weapon after target practice, she must have been familiar with basic safety rules of where to point a gun. She is even shown using some finger discipline in the photo so has at some point been told where to put her trigger finger when not ready to fire - although not in the correct position in the photo - should really be well above trigger on the stock of the gun - it does show she knows about an outstretched finger position.

Also the proper process for unloading a weapon is to empty the chamber after removing the magazine, given the magazine had previously been removed and the bullets from it emptied, the chamber check / unload should have been done anyway as part of that process.

Very dangerous gun discipline especially given that somebody was supposed to be teaching somebody about how to use a weapon - all of the above safety rules come well before learning to load / unload a magazine.

So I try to image myself sat behind somebody, so close they fall "back on to me" after being shot, then image how I must be positioned to have the gun in my right hand pointing just behind their right ear while I'm "struggling" to remove a magazine - I just couldn't do it - that gun should have been pointing at the sea.

If I was to believe that Jasmine didn't intend to shoot Henry, and that it was accidental trigger pull when trying to remove the magazine - then did she pull the trigger thinking it might release what was jamming the magazine? Was she foolishly playing with the gun pretending to shoot him and expecting the chamber to be empty? Maybe she picked the gun up, pointed it, pulled the trigger deliberately but expected it just to "click"?

I can't imagine Henry asking an inexperienced person to remove the magazine from a loaded gun whilst she sat directly behind him with no free space to point the weapon - just so unsafe - so I don't believe that story.

Whilst never wanting to blame a victim, the owner of the gun is always responsible for the safety of that weapon especially when handing it to an untrained person - and I think this is what this case boils down to, who was neglectful of gun safety at the time - Jasmine, Henry or both of them?

‘Bravo! most informative post…thank you!

Qué pena, nearest is Mexico, as far as I can see. Doesn't matter only interesting in the the fact that that there has been no mention of Embassy support.
I agree there is no need of embassy support and didn’t check the distance, I was only quoting the embassy website.
“Consular assistance
The Consulate of Canada in Belize is currently closed. If you need consular assistance, contact the Embassy of Canada to Guatemala, in Guatemala City.”
Embassies and consulates for Belize

Long post.. all jmo

All jmo

I don’t know much about guns but have read many cases of accidental shootings with glocks.

“To others, the handgun is a hazard. Critics say it has an overly sensitive trigger _ sometimes called a "hair trigger" _ and has been known to fire without warning. Because of the gun's unpredictability, several Florida law enforcement agencies refuse to allow their officers to use it.”

“Studies done by the FBI showed that while all guns will fire accidentally at times, the Glock does so more often than most, O'Donnell said. Joining the Orange County Sheriff's Office and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the Metro-Dade Police Department decided against the Glock.”
Gun's critics take aim at "hair trigger'

“The Glock has a unique trigger-within-a-trigger that makes it the least-safe pistol known.

When a Glock is pointed at you, you are are a few pounds of pressure and a tiny fraction of an inch from being shot, whether the officer wants to shoot or not. A nervous tic, a jostle by a fellow officer, and it's too bad, sucker.”
WITH DEATH A HAIR'S BREADTH AWAY

Canuck implicated in Belize cop shooting hasn't had visits: Worker | Toronto Sun
belize4-e1622572827726.jpg

Canadian socialite Jasmine Hartin poses with one of her guns. Photo by JASMINE HARTIN /FACEBOOK

''A Canadian woman is leading an especially lonely existence in a notorious Belize jail after being charged in the shooting death of a top cop in the Central America country, according to a prison worker.

Jasmine Hartin, 32, has not been visited by her longtime partner, Andrew Ashcroft — son of British billionaire Lord Michael Ashcroft. Nor has the socialite had visits from other relatives since being locked up in the slammer in May.''

I was waiting for the PR blitz and here it is. Not buying any of this, the more drunk they portray Henry, the less likely the sequence of events stated happened. It was murder IMO.

Oh thank you for saying this. I thought I was the only person who didn't buy a word of her story. I have many possible theories as to what the motive could be, but I'll hold off on speculating.

And I also don't think if the roles were reversed, and he shot her during a "massage" that people would be twisting themselves into pretzels to try to find excuses for her implausible scenarios.

Last edited:
I just cannot see her knowingly murdering him, knowing what the outcome would be.

But murderers murder every day, even knowing what the possible outcome will be. They simply don't believe they will be caught, charged, or even questioned on their account of events based on their personal charm, position in society, or belief of their intellectual superiority over that of LE.

On Saturday, the Mail on Sunday published an article with very specific details relating to the caution statement given to police by Jasmine Hartin, the woman charged with the shooting death of Police Superintendent Henry Jemmott. Following the publication of the article, the Belize Police Department has launched an investigation as to how the paper might have obtained the information.

Assistant Commissioner of Police Joseph Myvett said that it is a very real concern for the department that one of its officers might have sold the information to the Mail on Sunday but stressed that there are several other considerations that need to be made.
Police investigating leaks of Jasmine Hartin case cited in Mail on Sunday article

On Saturday, the Mail on Sunday published an article with very specific details relating to the caution statement given to police by Jasmine Hartin, the woman charged with the shooting death of Police Superintendent Henry Jemmott. Following the publication of the article, the Belize Police Department has launched an investigation as to how the paper might have obtained the information.

Assistant Commissioner of Police Joseph Myvett said that it is a very real concern for the department that one of its officers might have sold the information to the Mail on Sunday but stressed that there are several other considerations that need to be made.
Police investigating leaks of Jasmine Hartin case cited in Mail on Sunday article
Or members of her family could have leaked it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back