Bosma Murder Trial 02.01.16 - Day 1, Opening Statements

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought on whether they were dropped off at the Bosma house or if they parked somewhere and walked.... IMO there are a number of places along that stretch (or any stretch of country road) where you could park a vehicle. There are entrances to farmer's fields that have a short lead way up to a metal gate, lane ways to barns etc. etc., even just on the shoulder of the road. In the country we see this every day and it doesn't stand out at all.

Here is an example of a spot that is literally 100 yards from the Bosma driveway on the opposite side of the road. Now I am not saying these guys parked THAT close to the house but it is just one example of many along any country road where you could park your vehicle. Another thing to consider is that the Bosma property has a mature treeline along the road, blocking the view of the road. Once Tim's truck turned left onto Trinity Rd, you wouldn't have seen it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.170...1ElZmwoTWlnvBqSR6w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last thing...if CN did drop them off, would she not be charged with much more than what she is currently charged with? Thoughts?

PS: When you look at the link, spin to the right. You can see the telephone pole across from the Bosma house that has flowers on it.

notice in that google view that there is a hydro pole near it with flowers and sentiments taped to it? Makes me wonder if the family knows where Bosma was shot, could that be a memorial?

ETA: Actually it is right in front of the Bosma homes, it may be a public memorial in placement near Tims home...

notice in that google view that there is a hydro pole near it with flowers and sentiments taped to it? Makes me wonder if the family knows where Bosma was shot, could that be a memorial?

That pole is right across from the Bosma house. It is pretty much right across from their driveway, hence the spot that was chosen by the general public as a memorial. It is worth noting that the particular Google image was from July 2014, over a year after the horrible event, and people were still leaving tributes.

From what I heard yesterday about MS being reclusive (hiding almost) while at the Bosma's property, I think he was afraid and not nearly as confident in what they were about to do as DM. ALL MY OPINION OF COURSE.
From teh Abro article on opening statements: http://www.annrbrocklehurst.com/2016/02/tim-bosma-trial-the-crowns-opening-statement.html

At first when I read gone gone gone, I read it like a child would say something is just gone gone gone, almost like a joke... But is it possible that MS said in tears and the owner is "gone" sob "gone" sob sob "gone"
Maybe like he was seeing or reliving what happened again as he said the words in a remorseful way?

OR..he was hiding his face because he didn't want to be recognized. It's possible he was avoiding being described at a later date. !

I think he may have been stating the obvious when he allegedly said ''gone , gone, gone'' .

These type of things are why I see a lot of ambiguity at this stage. All MOO

DM may well have believed he was going on a test drive and saw no reason to be anything other than himself, friendly and outgoing. JMO

I'm sure I read that the truck was spotted in Brantford that night. If they were heading to Ayr, why get off in Brantford? You'd just need to stay on the 403 and get off at exit 33. I'm close by to both Ancaster and Brantford and if I wanted to head to Ayr/Waterloo I wouldn't get off at any exit in Brantford.

Edited to add: Yup in Downtown Brantford - Why?

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2558160-tim-bosma-search-moves-to-brantford/

And his cell phone was found on the opposite side of the 403 than they should have been heading for Ayr near an industrial area. Seems weird to take the truck thru downtown Brantford where it could be spotted easily when they could have stayed on the 403 for 5-10 more mins and get off in the middle of nowhere and head to Ayr.

IMO he was shot at that industrial park in Brantford where they tossed his phone.

Thinking over what we have heard so far, just from day one, it would be useful to have a revised timeline of the Crown's allegations that will be backed up by evidence...

Something like:
1. May 4 - Contact TB about truck via cel phone,DM advises he will come see truck Monday night.
2. May 6 - TB waits for DM to come see truck, worries about it getting late
3. May 6 - TB gets call from DM at 7pm saying he will be there in an hour
4. May 6 - DM & MS arrive at TB's home to test drive truck 9:20pm
5. May 6 - 9:30???? TB is shot in truck
6. May 6 - 11pm??? DM & MS (with a deceased TB in truck) pick up the GMC of DM's, one drive GMC one drives TB's truck
7. May 6 - 11pm??? DM & MS pick up Eliminator from DM's farm and tow using TB truck to Millardair Hangar with GMC following (or is it someone else driving the GMC, I don't know, but my opinion is there was not)
8. May 7 - 12:00am ???, DM, MS and deceased TB arrive at Millardair hangar (video shows the truck parking the elminator right outside the hangar doors)
9. May 7 - 1:00am ???video shows DM lighting the eliminator
10. May 7 - DM send text to employees "Airport Polictics, do NOT come to the hangar today at all, not even to just grab something."
11. May ? - DM gives video DVR to CN
12. May ? - DM & CN gives lock box to friend
13. May ? - MS gets lock box and gin from friend
14. May ? - MS buries gun in forest
15. May ? - DM, take elimintator to farm?
16. May ? - DM & CN hide the eliminator near tree line at farm
17. May ? - DM & CN pulled TB's truck in trailer to DM's mom house

Please copy and paste into new post and add or correct the list... I did it from memory.

MS+tool box+gun dumping= only after DM's arrest, I think.

a few questions..was the family given these details before court? I mean Tim being shot and details about how he died? surely they would prepare them for this and this is not a complete shock to them. The incinerator..was it powered by propane? jet fuel? was it already kept at the hangar to get rid of evidence of stolen vehicles? therefore would not be out of the ordinary for it to be there. Do we know it was brought from the farm that night? I thought I already read that a neighbor noticed it at the farm the next day and thought it was out of the ordinary and called it in? Also the employee that took pictures of the truck and VIN number..if he got that close to taking a picture of the Vin he would have seen the blood and the shattered window and possibly blood stained seats and carpet if they were not disposed of yet right? I am also wondering if CN made a deal with the devil and is providing them with info on the death of his father and LB for a lesser charge. I can't recall if it was after she was arrested that the other 2 charges were laid.

a few questions..was the family given these details before court? I mean Tim being shot and details about how he died? surely they would prepare them for this and this is not a complete shock to them. The incinerator..was it powered by propane? jet fuel? was it already kept at the hangar to get rid of evidence of stolen vehicles? therefore would not be out of the ordinary for it to be there. Do we know it was brought from the farm that night? I thought I already read that a neighbor noticed it at the farm the next day and thought it was out of the ordinary and called it in? Also the employee that took pictures of the truck and VIN number..if he got that close to taking a picture of the Vin he would have seen the blood and the shattered window and possibly blood stained seats and carpet if they were not disposed of yet right? I am also wondering if CN made a deal with the devil and is providing them with info on the death of his father and LB for a lesser charge. I can't recall if it was after she was arrested that the other 2 charges were laid.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/tim-bosma-court-day1-millard-smich-trial-1.3426062

Fraser told the jury there is also security camera video that shows Bosma's truck towing a large animal incinerator called "The Eliminator" to Millard's airplane hangar. The Crown alleges Bosma's body was burned there in the early-morning hours of May 7.

I don't think it's explicitly been stated where it was being towed FROM that night, but I get the sense it went something like:

--Incinerator is usually stored in barn
--Is towed with Tim Bosma's own truck on the night of his murder, used to burn his remains at the hangar. Posters have speculated that DM may have felt it would draw less attention there than at the farm. My personal speculation is that DM wanted everything done at the hangar for other reasons/convenience. (Easier to work on truck there?)
--Is later (not sure what date) towed back to farm, where it is discovered by LE. It's been stated that it was not in its usual spot, and I believe we've read that CN assisted in some aspect of moving it.

I was refreshing my mind of the area between: Ancaster, Brantford, Ayr, Waterloo... They obviously picked Tim because he was closer than Etobicoke, closer to the Farm, Hangar, etc...

I'm sure I read that the truck was spotted in Brantford that night. If they were heading to Ayr, why get off in Brantford? You'd just need to stay on the 403 and get off at exit 33. I'm close by to both Ancaster and Brantford and if I wanted to head to Ayr/Waterloo I wouldn't get off at any exit in Brantford.

And his cell phone was found on the opposite side of the 403 than they should have been heading for Ayr near an industrial area. Seems weird to take the truck thru downtown Brantford where it could be spotted easily when they could have stayed on the 403 for 5-10 more mins and get off in the middle of nowhere and head to Ayr.

IMO he was shot at that industrial park in Brantford where they tossed his phone.

Thank you for bringing up this point! I keep forgetting about the route. We are assuming they went up Trinity Rd, crossed Wilson (Highway 2) and then got on the 403 to Brantford. There is a strong possibility that they turned left onto Wilson (Highway 2) and took that all the way into Brantford. A lot less traffic on that road than a major highway. The downside to that route is it ends up in downtown Brantford before winding north towards Ayr. This route would also explain why the phone was found on the side of the 403 opposite the route to Ayr.

BBM

Curious....when does this come into play? At the final charge to the jury? If I am not mistaken, so far as the initial instruction they were just told to decide on first degree murder with no explanation to them of this rule. (ie: if they find one or the other wasn't the trigger man but he was there). Perhaps SKS could explain this to me or correct me on my thoughts. TIA

The jurors will be instructed on the laws for first degree murder according to the criminal code. The criminal code states:

Hijacking, sexual assault or kidnapping

(5) Irrespective of whether a murder is planned and deliberate on the part of any person, murder is first degree murder in respect of a person when the death is caused by that person while committing or attempting to commit an offence under one of the following sections:

(a) section 76 (hijacking an aircraft);

(b) section 271 (sexual assault);

(c) section 272 (sexual assault with a weapon, threats to a third party or causing bodily harm);

(d) section 273 (aggravated sexual assault);

(e) section 279 (kidnapping and forcible confinement); or

(f) section 279.1 (hostage taking).

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/section-231.html

HTH

Transcribed a few things from the crown's opening statement:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/297563969/Crown-s-opening-address-in-Tim-Bosma-murder-trial#download

The truck was inside a large trailer. The residence was owned by Dellen Millard's mother.

The interior of the truck had been stripped. Carpets gone. The front seats, gone.

The front seats were found in the same trailer behind the truck and against the main rear doors of the trailer. The driver's seat, center console and passenger seat had no upholstery, no cushioning, just charred metal. They had been burned.

Forensic examination of the truck would take place in the days, weeks and months following.

Significant amounts of gunshot residue were found on the inside of the truck, with especially high concentrations in the front seat area, both passenger side ceiling and driver's side ceiling.

Further forensic examination found the blood DNA of Tim Bosma on the inside of the truck in various areas, including the inside rear passenger door; rear passenger armrest; around the glove box; and front passenger cup holder (front or rear?).

Tim Bosma's blood was also found in various areas on the undercarriage of the truck.

The front passenger side window was shattered.

Also, here's some stuff about the incinerator movement:

The day before his arrest on May 10th, Dellen Millard moved the Eliminator from the barn on his property out to the area where police found it. Mr. Millard did this while it was dark, late at night, and with the assistance of his girlfriend.

Just a thought on whether they were dropped off at the Bosma house or if they parked somewhere and walked.... IMO there are a number of places along that stretch (or any stretch of country road) where you could park a vehicle. There are entrances to farmer's fields that have a short lead way up to a metal gate, lane ways to barns etc. etc., even just on the shoulder of the road. In the country we see this every day and it doesn't stand out at all.

Here is an example of a spot that is literally 100 yards from the Bosma driveway on the opposite side of the road. Now I am not saying these guys parked THAT close to the house but it is just one example of many along any country road where you could park your vehicle. Another thing to consider is that the Bosma property has a mature treeline along the road, blocking the view of the road. Once Tim's truck turned left onto Trinity Rd, you wouldn't have seen it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.170...1ElZmwoTWlnvBqSR6w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last thing...if CN did drop them off, would she not be charged with much more than what she is currently charged with? Thoughts?

PS: When you look at the link, spin to the right. You can see the telephone pole across from the Bosma house that has flowers on it.

Just jumping off your post...

There is absolutely no evidence that they were dropped off by anyone, other than what DM told TB as the reason why they did not drive a vehicle to the Bosma residence that they would have been expected to leave behind during the test drive. Only the two of them showed up at the hangar at 1:30am and each one was driving a vehicle, one driving the Yukon, one driving TB's truck. So it stands to reason that only the two of them committed this crime.

When you're there to steal a truck, you don't leave your own vehicle behind IYKWIM. You park it somewhere else and make up an excuse as to why you're not driving to a rural area. In the city it would be easier to say you took public transit because you don't have a vehicle, hence the reason why you're looking to buy. ;) So after all this time, I think it's been established by LE that there is NO EVIDENCE of a third person. It would have been very easy for them to have stopped and picked up the Yukon wherever they left it. Especially if they were now holding the owner of the stolen truck at gunpoint.

So I concur. They likely parked the Yukon in one of those areas and walked in to the Bosma's home.

MOO

Thanks for sharing that good local knowledge. Would a gunshot at 9:00 pm, or perhaps later, not cause you to raise an eyebrow and check your watch? I expect that the farmers would be pretty good at detecting an unnatural gunfire sound, either an unexpected calibre, or sound coming from an unexpected location, something that didn't quite sound like their neighbour was hunting raccoons in the back forty.

But, you're probably right. They may have heard it and not connected it to anything nefarious.

When Tim went missing 3 years ago I lived in an area exactly like him and Sharlene. Out in farm country, you do hear gunshots from time to time and you really don't give it a second thought, except for every once in a while you might think "coyote" and then go right back to what you were doing and never think of it again. 9pm or 9am, it wouldn't have mattered to me or caused any kind of a raised eyebrow.

Long time lurker first time poster here.

I grew very interested in this case right from the get go as the Bosma family had a lot of the similarities to mine. We were both married the same venue, my wife and I also built our 4000 sq ft dream home in Ancaster (less than 5mins drive from Bosma home) shortly after marriage. We had our first child and I sold a car online weeks before this case happened (went for a test drive with many buyers). I am also the same age as Tim. This case hit home.

I do not know Tim personally but, I know many people who did. Everything the media reported about him is true. He was a down to earth good family guy. Not 1 person had anything negative to say about him.

That said I saw some things on here that I can maybe answer.

No gunshots in the area would not be unusual or alert anyone. On any given night after dark it is normal to hear gunshots. In fact it is more abnormal to not here them.

I saw a question about the gun used. A .380 caliber is typically a smaller lightweight gun. Yes it would be very easy to conceal in everyday clothing. It is a close range gun and doesn't have the best stopping power it usually needs multiple direct hits to take someone down. That would explain the amount of gun residue in the front seat that multiple shots were needed.

I have to imagine there is a fair amount of video footage as well. There is a lot of fairly large homes in that area that I would assume have camera's. As well depending on the route there is a fair amount of business with camera's. Which is how I am assuming they knew he was killed fairly quickly that camera's picked up the passenger window being shattered.

This really shook up the community of Ancaster it was always know as a quiet more upscale community. I don't think anyone ever thought something like this would happen so close to home. I can't recall a business, a pole or a mailbox without a missing poster.

They were already 'in the country' when they visited TB's home.. and from there, they took non-major-highways to travel to Brantford.. from Bosma's house to 'Wilson Street' (Ancaster) which turns into Colborne Street in Brantford (eventually going downtown).. and then turned right, onto 'Brant Ave' which turns into 'Paris Road', and then to the 'industrial complex' which may have been officially in Brantford, but was close to the border of 'Paris'.. and from there, up into Ayr. That is a popular way to get to Ayr. If I am understanding their route, based on what has been reported, it kind of makes sense if you know the area. They may have calculated their chances in getting pulled over by police along the way were less, by taking the back roads rather than the major highways? And/or they could have thought there would be fewer cameras, since the major highways have cameras?

Now, after SB's/WDB's descriptions of the accused, I would say: DM is the psychopath, MS is the gangster - a dangerous team. We will see, who did what.

Does anyone know if jurors will have access to transcripts?

Yes and no. They could but it's usually up to the discretion of the judge on whether they are provided with them or not.

Thank you for bringing up this point! I keep forgetting about the route. We are assuming they went up Trinity Rd, crossed Wilson (Highway 2) and then got on the 403 to Brantford. There is a strong possibility that they turned left onto Wilson (Highway 2) and took that all the way into Brantford. A lot less traffic on that road than a major highway. The downside to that route is it ends up in downtown Brantford before winding north towards Ayr. This route would also explain why the phone was found on the side of the 403 opposite the route to Ayr.

You are correct. It was said yesterday they turned left out of the driveway I believe which would have sent them right up to Wilson or if they kept going, to the 403, which is the way they came probably from TO. I doubt they are that familiar with the area so my guess is they jumped back on the 403. Just a guess tho. But you are right, they could have turned on to Wilson and headed right into Brantford. The article states that is was 10:10 pm that the truck was seen so maybe they did go the long way down Wilson. Still tho, lots of places to be sighted in downtown Brantford. I don't know if I was driving down the 403 at the same time (dark) if I would have noticed a black pickup passing me, it's the 403 and I don't always pay attention to the vehicles I'm on the Hwy with plus at that time, the 403 would have been fairly quiet thru that stretch, I've driven it a million times at all times of the day/night.

I also second that in the country gun shots are not rare. We hear them here and I am not in the middle of nowhere and while they kind of freak you out when you hear them out of the blue, it would never alert me to call the police.

They were already 'in the country' when they visited TB's home.. and from there, they took non-major-highways to travel to Brantford.. from Bosma's house to 'Wilson Street' (Ancaster) which turns into Colborne Street in Brantford (eventually going downtown).. and then turned right, onto 'Brant Ave' which turns into 'Paris Road', and then to the 'industrial complex' which may have been officially in Brantford, but was close to the border of 'Paris'.. and from there, up into Ayr. That is a popular way to get to Ayr. If I am understanding their route, based on what has been reported, it kind of makes sense if you know the area. They may have calculated their chances in getting pulled over by police along the way were less, by taking the back roads rather than the major highways? And/or they could have thought there would be fewer cameras, since the major highways have cameras?

This is right in line with my thinking as far as route goes. The only thing I am thinking that is a slight deviation from your route is I believe they may have turned off of Brant Ave onto Hardy instead of continuing onto Paris Rd. My reasoning for this is because the cell phone was found near Fen Ridge and Oak Park, south of the 403. By turning left onto Hardy they are led to Oak Park, south of the 403. Of course they may have continued on Paris Rd and then back tracked over the 403 to Fed Ridge. Hopefully the route becomes clear as the trial goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow