Bosma Murder Trial 02.08.16 - Day 5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The field was muddy, so if they had walked through the field to Tim's they would have had muddy shoes and likely muddy pant cuffs, which would have been noticeable. There is a reason farmers wear mud boots.

Link? This is the first I have heard of this particular field being muddy that night.

I still can't get over the arrest pic's of DM. He does not appear to be a happy camper at all- but then, who would be. I think it's the strange expression on his face. Arms crossed- a look of being ticked off with a certain smugness. If I'm not mistaken, I've seen that look on my kids faces a few times when they were growing up. A kind of guarded, swallow the canary "you can't prove anything look". My kids always thought I was psychic while all the time they were just really bad actors. MOO

The field was muddy, so if they had walked through the field to Tim's they would have had muddy shoes and likely muddy pant cuffs, which would have been noticeable. There is a reason farmers wear mud boots.

You can walk through a hay field w/o getting mud on your boots. If you tried driving around with a pick up truck you'd leave a path of broken grasses and ruts, but not kick up mud. The hay field grasses, clovers and alfalfa have a strong mat of roots. Now if the field had recently been plowed, or was a corn field, you might get mud on your boots early in May.

Farmer Jane speaking here. :)

Well, the entire scenario was purely speculative but that said, it depends on where they parked & walked from.

Link? This is the first I have heard of this particular field being muddy that night.

"Mark Carcasole ‏@MarkCarcGlobal 3m3 minutes ago

Bullmann notes the field in the photo is "a little bit on the wet side," noting the truck tire tracks in the dirt. #MillardSmich"

I'm guessing that is the quote that was being referenced....but it appears to me to be more of a general comment about the location and not the specific condition of how the area was that night. The area where the hay bails are located is dirt and gravel and flattened out but when it rains it would get wet...but not like a traditional, plowed field.

We can pretty much conclude that the field was very dry based on the historic weather data from the Government of Canada files. No rain had fallen in the month of May. You have to go back to April 29th where 3.2mm of rain fell. So 7 days without rain... MOO

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...16-02-07&cmdB1=Go&Year=2013&Month=5&cmdB1=Go#

You can walk through a hay field w/o getting mud on your boots. If you tried driving around with a pick up truck you'd leave a path of broken grasses and ruts, but not kick up mud. The hay field grasses, clovers and alfalfa have a strong mat of roots. Now if the field had recently been plowed, or was a corn field, you might get mud on your boots early in May.

Farmer Jane speaking here. :)

I'm not a farmer but I used to live in the middle of 100 acres of corn in a farm house - May is a great month for muddy fields (just ask all the kids that got their boots sucked off their feet in the mud, lol). I'm not familiar with the different types of fields/root systems but even next to a muddy corn field you could still park along the side and walk along the side without ever getting mud on your boots. I did it all the time walking the laneway right next to the field, to check the mail. I don't even know if that was the spot they parked the Yukon, but I suspect we'll all find out shortly as the Crown presents more evidence.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 43m43 minutes ago
There's a Westdale high school law class here to sit in on the #Bosma trial today.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 37m37 minutes ago
Being early, thought I'd squeeze in an extra coffee...and then spilled it all over myself and the courthouse floor. Good morning!

Well, at least she tried :)

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 43m43 minutes ago
There's a Westdale high school law class here to sit in on the #Bosma trial today.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 37m37 minutes ago
Being early, thought I'd squeeze in an extra coffee...and then spilled it all over myself and the courthouse floor. Good morning!

Well, at least she tried :)

Wow is the courthouse that packed that they have to arrive at 10am for a 1pm trial?
I thought they said it was less packed now as the days go on lol

I suspect he just put it in the first thing that could easily be locked, because generally you don't want your murder weapon out in the open or hanging out in your satchel.

In my opinion, the fact that he left the truck out in the open invalidates that theory.

"Mark Carcasole ‏@MarkCarcGlobal 3m3 minutes ago

Bullmann notes the field in the photo is "a little bit on the wet side," noting the truck tire tracks in the dirt. #MillardSmich"

I'm guessing that is the quote that was being referenced....but it appears to me to be more of a general comment about the location and not the specific condition of how the area was that night. The area where the hay bails are located is dirt and gravel and flattened out but when it rains it would get wet...but not like a traditional, plowed field.

We can pretty much conclude that the field was very dry based on the historic weather data from the Government of Canada files. No rain had fallen in the month of May. You have to go back to April 29th where 3.2mm of rain fell. So 7 days without rain... MOO

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climat...16-02-07&cmdB1=Go&Year=2013&Month=5&cmdB1=Go#

The witness said that the area was "on the wet side" but we are asked to conclude that it was very dry? That doesn't make sense to me, personally. Since I was a child, I have found that 'dirt' plus 'wet' equals mud.

I still can't get over the arrest pic's of DM. He does not appear to be a happy camper at all- but then, who would be. I think it's the strange expression on his face. Arms crossed- a look of being ticked off with a certain smugness. If I'm not mistaken, I've seen that look on my kids faces a few times when they were growing up. A kind of guarded, swallow the canary "you can't prove anything look". My kids always thought I was psychic while all the time they were just really bad actors. MOO
He looks like he was doing an imitation of Russell Williams in interrogation. Even the expression is the same.
http://img.src.ca/2010/10/20/300x225/101020williams-russell-aveux-3_g.jpg
http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam...63221-cpt120322496.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Wow is the courthouse that packed that they have to arrive at 10am for a 1pm trial?
I thought they said it was less packed now as the days go on lol

Mark Carcasole ‏@MarkCarcGlobal 1h1 hour ago

Today's hearing at the #MillardSmich trial begins at 1 pm. However, lawyers & judge will be in court at 11:00 am for legal arguments.

Maybe they're just really excited to hear the legal arguments lol

Hi all, I'm looking back at Day 3 of the trial when Det. Hamilton was on the witness stand. He testified that he and another officer went to the hangar to confirm Millard's ambition tattoo and have a look around. Going through the reporters' tweets, it isn't clear what day he went there. Does anyone know? Was TB's truck still at the hangar when Det. Hamilton went there, or was it gone by then?

For reference, Det. Hamilton was the guy whom DM smiled and waved to when he pointed him out in the courtroom.

Hi all, I'm looking back at Day 3 of the trial when Det. Hamilton was on the witness stand. He testified that he and another officer went to the hangar to confirm Millard's ambition tattoo and have a look around. Going through the reporters' tweets, it isn't clear what day he went to see Millard. Does anyone know? Was TB's truck still at the hangar when Det. Hamilton went there, or was it gone by then?

The truck was gone by then (May 9th). I think from the timeline, they went there on May 10th? (AJ didn't call police until May 10th.

Kavanagh now says police are not sure whether Smich, who is said to have been in the back seat of the truck while Millard was driving, exited that vehicle after leaving Bosma’s home and got into the driver’s seat of the Yukon.

“That is possible right now, yes, but I’m not going to commit either way,” Kavanagh said.

If there is a third suspect, Kavanagh said, police do not have any leads on who it might be.
Millard’s girlfriend, whose identity is protected by a court-ordered publication ban, is not believed to be involved, the detective said.

“Millard’s girlfriend has been cleared of that,” he said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...rd_suspect_exists_lead_investigator_says.html

CN was CLEARED from being a third person on May 6. Which means she had an alibi for that evening that checked out.

ERRRR Yes I agree! That was my first thought when I saw DM mugshot. The pic has a definite Russell Williams look about it.

Adam Carter
Feb 9 2016 12:09 PM
I'm in court now for the Tim Bosma trial. We're currently in a "voir dire" session -- procedural matters related to the trial are being discussed without the jury in the room.

Adam Carter
Feb 9 2016 12:10 PM
Because the jury isn't in the room, I can't report on anything that's being said.

Adam Carter
Feb 9 2016 12:10 PM
Open court is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. today. Check back for updates and follow along throughout the afternoon.

Can we have thread #6 open?

Adam Carter
Feb 9 2016 12:27 PM
If you're looking to catch up on the entire investigation, here's a timeline: www.cbc.ca

Kavanagh now says police are not sure whether Smich, who is said to have been in the back seat of the truck while Millard was driving, exited that vehicle after leaving Bosma’s home and got into the driver’s seat of the Yukon.

“That is possible right now, yes, but I’m not going to commit either way,” Kavanagh said.

If there is a third suspect, Kavanagh said, police do not have any leads on who it might be.
Millard’s girlfriend, whose identity is protected by a court-ordered publication ban, is not believed to be involved, the detective said.

“Millard’s girlfriend has been cleared of that,” he said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...rd_suspect_exists_lead_investigator_says.html

CN was CLEARED from being a third person on May 6. Which means she had an alibi for that evening that checked out.

I don't read that statement the same way.
Kavanagh didn't commit to say whether MS drove the Yukon

Kavanagh is then addressing if CN had any involvement at all
At this point she was not charged yet, that came almost a full year later so LE said they do not believe she was involved and she was cleared of that. Which we now know is false since they were collecting evidence and charged her an accessory after the fact much later on. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member