Bosma Murder Trial 02.24.16 - Day 14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I take it there is a discrepancy between what the officer has said today and his notes that were disclosed to the defence? Just get to it RP.

:waiting:

MOO

"You know that if you provide evidence that is not recorded in your notes, you risk the credibility of your evidence," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 10:29 AM

Stoltz says he knew by 9:20 a.m. on May 7 that it could be a homicide investigation.
by Adam Carter 10:30 AM

"It's fair to say your notes of May 7 are detailed?" Pillay asks. "Yes," Stoltz responds, after a pause.
by Adam Carter 10:31 AM

"I try to make as complete notes as possible. Sometimes I make omissions. I am human, and sometimes I make mistakes," Stoltz says. "We'll get to that in a minute, sir," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 10:32 AM

OH SNAP! RP throwing some serious shade here - I'm eager to see what his point ends up being!

"I try to make as complete notes as possible. Sometimes I make omissions. I am human, and sometimes I make mistakes," Stoltz says. "We'll get to that in a minute, sir," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 10:32 AM

OH SNAP! RP throwing some serious shade here - I'm eager to see what his point ends up being!

He's got absolutely nothing so he's going to nit pick at every police officer who says anything in court that is not specifically in their notes. As if they are trying to influence their testimony based on things they subsequentially learned about the investigation.

We're in for a long trial if this is how he thinks he's going to get an acquittal based on reasonable doubt. Or trying to lay down a foundation for a mistrial or appeal.

MOO

Pillay now asking about the surveillance footage from Super Sucker facility. "You testified today that you checked the time stamp on the video against your cell phone. You have nothing in your notes," Pillay says. "My note in regards to that is that the video is three hours behind," Stoltz responds.
by Adam Carter 10:34 AM

Pillay says there is nothing in the officer's notes about using his cell phone.
by Adam Carter 10:34 AM

"There is nothing there about you verifying the accuracy on the timestamp of the video, fair?" Pillay asks. "Fair," the officer responds.
by Adam Carter 10:36 AM

Checking his cell phone is the sticking point here. That's not in his notes.
by Adam Carter 10:37 AM

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3m3 minutes ago
20 separate entries in his notebook. At 10:48 at SuperSucker HydroVac at Claybourne (sp?) Road. Nothing in notes checking time stamp.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Nothing in notes about checking against his cell phone. He did have note that video was 3 hours behind. #Bosma

"Video 3 hours behind," says note.

***OMG...the officer, who probably is glued to a cell phone like the rest of us and doesn't even realize how often he uses it...forgot to mention in his notes that he looked at it to check the time against the video. That's it...they're innocent and being set up by corrupt LE...free those men!!

A supplementary document was also prepared, like a summary. There's nothing there about checking his phone there. "You have no record of you looking at your cell phone and then looking at the live feed to measure the time," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 10:38 AM

"You knew that an expert video analyst was involved in this case?" Pillay asks. "I did not," the officer responds.
by Adam Carter 10:38 AM

Pillay says the first time the officer mentioned using his cell phone was on Monday of this week. "Here we are, almost three years after the event, three weeks into this trial, and the first time it comes up is Monday of this week."
by Adam Carter 10:39 AM

This was in a prep meeting for trial.
by Adam Carter 10:40 AM

OMG, does he really have to indicate in his notes how he determined that the video was 3 hours behind. Does this really matter?

"Precision is critical, right?" Pillay asks. "Yes," the officer responds.
by Adam Carter 10:41 AM

"You didn't record how you did it. That's the point." Pillay says. "You don't know, to the minute, how far the video was out." "
by Adam Carter 10:42 AM

"I do know that ... within the minute," Stoltz says.
by Adam Carter 10:42 AM

"And you have that recollection three hours after the fact?" Pillay asks. Stoltz says yes.
by Adam Carter 10:43 AM

The prep meeting was with Assistant Crown Tony Leitch. In the notes of that meeting, it says Stoltz said approximately three hours out, plus or minus one or two minutes.
by Adam Carter 10:44 AM

"I'm suggesting to you sir, you don't know three years after the fact precisely what your cell phone said or what the video was." Pillay says. "I do know what it said," Stoltz responds.
by Adam Carter 10:45 AM

Pillay says he's suggesting that Stoltz didn't check the video timestamp against his phone. Stoltz disagrees, says he did.
by Adam Carter 10:45 AM

"We have nothing -- no objective evidence, no recording of the time, of you checking your cell phone," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 10:46 AM

OMG, does he really have to indicate in his notes how he determined that the video was 3 hours behind. Does this really matter?

It is when your client is obviously guilty and you've got nothing to defend him other than picking at every little discrepancy between testimony and discovery and making a big deal out of it in front of the jury to make a point and get them thinking.

MOO

ETA: I take it he tried to get this officer's testimony and the video thrown out and didn't succeed?

I sit here and shake my head! Pillay is looking silly with these cross examinations! IMO, Well I guess when you know your client is paying ya big bucks, ya better ask something lol
I know he's just trying to trip up the witnesses, I've been to court a few times and that what they do. They try and make you second guess what your saying, or add detail that didn't really happen.

Pillay asks if he "called the National Research Council" to check the time on the video against that. Stoltz says no -- he says he assumed his iphone would have the correct time.
by Adam Carter 10:47 AM

Pillay is done, Dungey has no questions. The officer is finished.
by Adam Carter 10:48 AM

The next witness is James Stieva.
by Adam Carter 10:50 AM

It is when your client is obviously guilty and you've got nothing to defend him other than picking at every little discrepancy between testimony and discovery and making a big deal out of it in front of the jury to make a point and get them thinking.

MOO

ETA: I take it he tried to get this officer's testimony and the video thrown out and didn't succeed?
Note to self - "check cell phone time with National Research Council when noting time"...just in case.

Lets hope the jury isn't swayed by Pillay's brand of reasonable doubt.

I sit here and shake my head! Pillay is looking silly with these cross examinations! IMO, Well I guess when you know your client is paying ya big bucks, ya better ask something lol
I know he's just trying to trip up the witnesses, I've been to court a few times and that what they do. They try and make you second guess what your saying, or add detail that didn't really happen.

He's the director of Marketing and Communications for Super Sucker -- an excavation contractor. They're on Claybar Road in Ancaster.
by Adam Carter 10:50 AM

He says he found out about the Bosma investigation when a bunch of people pulled in to the business' lot on May 7. The people said they were looking for a cell phone in the area.
by Adam Carter 10:52 AM

Stieva says they have had video surveillance in that facility for three years.
by Adam Carter 10:53 AM

"The system has four cameras. It live feeds to a box. The cameras are motion sensitive," Stieva says.
by Adam Carter 10:53 AM

Stieva then got the access password to the security cameras and started looking at the recordings they had. He went back to the day previous, May 6. "There's a time stamp on our system and that was out. It was not a correct time. I looked at my watch ... a Swiss Military."
by Adam Carter 10:55 AM

Off Topic but I was wondering about the Letters that DM allegedly wrote to CN. Wasn't she on his no contact list? Forgive me if this was answered before, i'm just curious.

Next James Stieva, director of marketing and communications of SuperSucker. #Bosma Specialized excavation. Corner Claybar & Trinity Road.

May 7, 2013 a bunch of vehicles pulled up in his parking lot. He went to speak with them. They were searching for missing person's phone.

He has a general idea of their security cameras. 4 cameras, motion sensitive.

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 3m3 minutes ago
They have video surveillance. System has 4 cameras, motion sensitive. So during playback if no movement there is no video. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 1m1 minute ago
He viewed their recording. "There's a time stamp on our system and it was out." Checked it by his $800 Swiss Army watch, a gift from wife.

***Well that watch tops the National Research Council for keeping accurate time! It's Swiss!! :floorlaugh:

He was looking for a black pickup truck on the camera facing Trinity Road. Later that afternoon the police contacted them, asking for video surveillance.
by Adam Carter 10:56 AM

Stieva says he recorded the video to a USB stick for the police.
by Adam Carter 10:57 AM

Stieva says the video was out three hours.
by Adam Carter 10:57 AM

Pillay now cross examining.
by Adam Carter 10:58 AM

Pillay asks if it's "fair to say" that Stieva doesn't have a perfect memory of May 7 from 2013. He says that's fair.
by Adam Carter 10:58 AM

"On my first viewing, I noticed that the time was different," Stieva says.
by Adam Carter 10:59 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members