Bosma Murder Trial 03.03.16 - Day 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the letter and hoping for some clarification.

Who is Dee and who is now in possession of this letter? Have we seen the initial letter that Dee wrote to DM? I take it that DM and Dee had never met. Did they end up meeting and/or corresponding?

I find it really odd and creepy that Dee took the time to write and DM responded by inviting them to visit!!!

I don't remember the backstory of the prison letters, but it's totally normal for infamous criminals to have groupies, especially if they are 'normal' looking. I think Ted Bundy ended up married to one of his fangirls, but I can't remember for sure, so off to Wikipedia.

EDIT: Can't immediately find how they met, but this article is relevant:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/shadow-boxing/201204/women-who-love-serial-killers

There is nothing child like about his writing. If anything the cop was talking about a drawing. (That drawing of a car in that letter now THAT was childlike )

We all see things slightly different and each of the contributions to this small topic are all well informed in my opinion....
I had forgotten about the car drawing. It is clearly my own opinion but I have no hesitation in saying the drawing and the printing are not what I would expect from a person 30 years old. Especially one who showed such early promise in his youth and attended private school even though he did not finish. Immature or childlike, I think both words work equally.
Arrested development seems to be apparent in some other areas of his life as well....MOO

"Dee" could very well be a male or female journalist trying to get a scoop out of DM. Hell they should all be writing him pretending to be girls.

We all see things slightly different and each of the contributions to this small topic are all well informed in my opinion....
I had forgotten about the car drawing. It is clearly my own opinion but I have no hesitation in saying the drawing and the printing are not what I would expect from a person 30 years old. Especially one who showed such early promise in his youth and attended private school even though he did not finish. Immature or childlike, I think both words work equally.
Arrested development seems to be apparent in some other areas of his life as well....MOO

BBM

I'd hate for you to see my writing..........and I'm an educated professional........IMO his writing is actually quite neat and legible....

Presumably, IMO. I don't know the severity of the consequences of refusing to answer a question while on the stand, which she may weigh in giving testimony.

A contempt of court charge would be a likely possibility.

We see a lot of American TV where somebody says, "I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may tend to incriminate me."

This doesn't happen here. The Charter (section 11) says that you can't be forced to testify in a proceeding against yourself, but you're protected (as explained earlier) against your testimony being used against you if it was given in a trial where someone else was on trial.

Yikes, that's not very clearly worded. In everyday language, she cannot refuse to answer without incurring charges, but if she does answer, even if it appears to incriminate her, what she says can't be used against her elsewhere.

I'd hate for you to see my writing..........and I'm an educated professional........IMO his writing is actually quite neat and legible....

Yep, right there with you. And I have to counter-sign checks at my office. I have the handwriting of a doctor.

Taken as a whole I think these various expressions are meant to convey the latter. If Smich is the shooter and lets his lawyer implicitly blame Millard, that would earn a few legitimate eye rolls and stare downs. If Millard is simply using his sociopathic skills to manipulate observers and try to convince them of his innocence, it would look about the same way. It's a way to testify without ever getting on the stand, which shows some cunning. I nonetheless think he will have to take the stand if he wants that rather implausible story sold to anyone. The defense could still surprise though. How many cases look rock solid until the defence gets their turn? I'll wait to hear, but thus far he just looks and feels like a sociopath with a trail of bodies behind him.

His facial expressions and courtroom antics will also depend on how each member of the jury perceives them. While one member might find he is "over acting" and trying to influence them in some way, another may feel he's genuinely conveying real feelings about certain things. Add to that, the length of time that these jurors will spend in the courtroom with the two accused right there with them and a familiarity can start to develop. Usually the longer the trial, the more sympathetic jurors can become to a person sitting right there with them day after day. It has been suggested that this may have occurred in both the Casey Anthony and Jodi Arias trials. And both of these defendants were rather "animated for the jury".

Now some jurors might think that MS's demeanor is one of resignation and pure contempt for his co-accused and the situation he finds himself in, because of him. Others may think he's distant and unemotional and likely to be able to shoot someone without a second thought. At least one poster here who was in the courtroom thought he was acting "tough" like the gangsta he's being portrayed as.

Either way, while we always want to believe that jurors do not put any emotional thought into their decision, I think it does come into play in the case of some jurors and might force some extra deliberations on the part of those who are able to stick just to the evidence.

MOO

Exactly. I was just about to say the very same thing.

To add to this, considering that neither the Crown or either defense attorney mentioned anything about the backpack after that comment was made, one thing is for certain IMO. It is not evidence in this trial.

MOO

Absolutely. Let's say, for the sake of argument, both accused are acquitted of murder in this case. If that happened, CN could not be convicted as an accessory to a murder that a jury had found her accomplices did not commit. In that case, charges would be dropped.

Now, as for testimony in this current case, CN would be expected to testify truthfully to what she knows. The Charter of Rights guarantees that whatever she says in sworn testimony cannot be used against her in a different trial (for example, her own trial for being an accessory).

That would not mean that she could not go to trial as an accessory, but that the Crown would have to prove the case against her without reference to anything she said in this case. And I suspect there will be a publication ban on her testimony (or there could be) lest it taint the likelihood of her receiving a fair trial herself.

Thank you very much for expanding.

Another question, if I may? What about weapon(s) charges? If there is a guilty verdict, does a weapons trafficking charge(MWJ, M. Odlum and buddy) change to a charge that can carry a life sentence? Meaning the weapon has been used for a murder and not just trafficked. It is also relevant that the suppliers are gang related.

"Dee" could very well be a male or female journalist trying to get a scoop out of DM. Hell they should all be writing him pretending to be girls.

...bingo, exactly my thoughts, or LE posing as 'Dee' .... Just MOO on the jailhouse letter topic DM took the bait hook line and sinker

Assistant Crown Tony Leitch now running through Jones' qualifications. He began really specializing in blood stain pattern analysis in 2004.
by Adam Carter 2:06 PM

Yup. I was there twice. DM looks sad like a puppy when walking to or away from his table. When conversing with Pillay it looks like buddies exchanging stories at a pub on Friday night. (Except whispering ) MS has this blank but angry look on his face 24/7. He eyeballed me twice. Looking over his shoulder twice at me while on his way out. (Im not a girl BTW lol)

I don't remember the backstory of the prison letters, but it's totally normal for infamous criminals to have groupies, especially if they are 'normal' looking. I think Ted Bundy ended up married to one of his fangirls,

Yes, Ted Bundy married Carol Ann Boone in prison and that woman gave birth to his daughter in 1982, who apparently took another name.http://www.authorannrule.com/Ted_Bundy_Updates.html

As further proof of your statement, don't forget the woman from Kitchener who wanted to marry Paul Bernardo about a year ago:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...he-is-a-kind-man-a-christian/article19440171/

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 14m14 minutes ago
Jury is assembled. Robert Jones is next witness called by Crown Tony Leitch. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 13m13 minutes ago
He's a sergeant with @WRPSToday. He's being qualified as expert in blood stain pattern analysis.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 10m10 minutes ago
Going through Jones' training in blood spatter analysis. Includes a calculus course. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 6m6 minutes ago
Jones now mentors other officers learning to be blood spatter analysts. Two of those officers are in the courtroom today. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 4m4 minutes ago
The court qualifies Jones as an expert able to give his opinion on blood stain pattern analysis.

BBM

Agreed...his 'writing' is neat and legible. To my eye it still appears immature .....even the car he drew has a childlike quality. IMHO

(ps....the car is neat and tidy as well.)

Court now seeing a powerpoint presentation from Jones on bloodstain pattern analysis. It's the study of the size shape and location of bloodstains, in order to figure out how they got there.
by Adam Carter 2:20 PM

You can usually tell the direction a bloodstain was moving by its shape, Jones says.
by Adam Carter 2:20 PM

Bloodstain patterns are "predictable and reproducible," he says. You can recreate blood spatter in his office in a "blood stain room" back at his office.
by Adam Carter 2:21 PM

Thank you very much for expanding.

Another question, if I may? What about weapon(s) charges? If there is a guilty verdict, does a weapons trafficking charge(MWJ, M. Odlum and buddy) change to a charge that can carry a life sentence? Meaning the weapon has been used for a murder and not just trafficked. It is also relevant that the suppliers are gang related.

I'm afraid I'm not at all conversant with the details of weapons laws. Perhaps someone else here will step in. But I would infer, tentatively, from other areas of law, that charges against the gun sellers would be based on what they knew at the time of the sale. That is, if they didn't know or suspect that the weapons were to be used in a murder, they would not be accomplices before the fact, or otherwise directly tied to the murder itself. Knowledge and intention play a big role in prosecution so I am tentatively of the opinion that their charges would not change based on the outcome of this case, unless it could be shown they had a closer association with the principals that what we know now.

And now a PowerPoint on blood stain pattern analysis. "Blood will behave according to the laws of physics."

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3m3 minutes ago
You can usually tell the direction a blood stain is moving in.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Bloodstain patterns are predictable and reproducible. Police often have blood stain rooms for this reason.

Can determine: min. no. of impacts; location of impact; movement of persons/objects during/after bloodshed; position while shedding blood.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3m3 minutes ago
Police use sheep's blood in their blood rooms to replicate patterns. No diseases in sheep blood.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Categories of patterns: passive (drips onto floor); transfer (from source to other surface); spatter (transferred with force).

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 1m1 minute ago
Seeing photo of drip pattern. One big blob surrounded by splash called "satellite spatter."

I really don't understand why either lawyer is playing this "my client was in the front, yours in the back" game with the shell casing. After all that truck had been through prior to the discovery of that casing? Wherever that gun was fired from, that casing obviously ricocheted around and landed on the rear seat, actually rolling behind where MS was supposed to be sitting and lodging itself into the crevice.

MOO

But I think that is the point that DM's lawyer is trying to make here. The spent casing did not in fact get dislodged from the front of the cab and end up in the back of the cab. He is implying its not obvious that the casing ricocheted around and that it was in the back seat lodged in the seat and presumably when the truck was being moved around and being disrupted the casing simply dislodged itself down onto the floor under the flipped up seat to be seen by LE. Again, presumably trying to indicate that perhaps the shooting took place from the rear of the truck where MS was. All MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hirundo