Bosma Murder Trial 03.10.16 - Day 23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any news on whether the trial for DMs father is proceeding?

Oh my. That will be an interesting one. Anyone have speculation about why Millard is representing himself for LB murder but hired someone for the other two?

My personal speculation:

-DM knows he's screwed
-And he's bored
-And egotistical (see: Jodi Arias, who loved being on the stand)
-More freedom, access to all legal docs.

Fun fact: Ted Bundy represented himself. It's also how he finagled one of his escapes (due to the greater freedom/access to law library).

I don't know which case comes first, LB or WM.

I suppose money may also be an issue.

She didn't tweet it, OP was giving her Twitter account so one of us could ask. Sounds like it was during live tv reporting.

Yes, thank you. It was said on a news report on the CBC News TV channel. It was Ian Hanomansing's The National report. Shannon Martin reporting from Hamilton. It's a News Channel, so it will air a few times today I'm sure (in between the reports from the White House of PM Trudeau and President Obama having dinner ;))

Soooo about the uncle..was this the witness DM was asking CN to change his testimony? About going into pet cremation business together? ?

I doubt it (MOO). I doubt if DM would even think he might have a chance at swaying RB's statement, let alone sending his gf to ask him to do it. I am wondering if he may have been trying to get Dubien's testimony changed. Not sure what Dubien will have to say on the witness stand, of course, but, somehow I suspect that the cellphone communications going on between DM and Dubien just after the murder, may uncover some very incriminating conversations. MOO again.

Was thinking the same. In some ways I think that could be contempt of court.

It's offensive, but it does not meet criteria for contempt of court, so far as I can tell. That is reserved for far more objectively serious infractions, such as failing to comply with a court order or threatening a judge. You may recall that Justice Goodman summoned those who were called up for the jury selection panel in this case, and who failed to appear, and sternly lectured them with vague threats (so I inferred) of charging them with contempt of court, as he was in fact entitled to do. Most contempt of court orders are in relation to disobeying court orders, not matters of proper behaviour.

There's another offense, known as "scandalizing the court," this might more closely approximate how people feel about this particular remark. But it seems to apply only to comments aimed at the judge, not those aimed at the witness:

http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/S/ScandalizingtheCourt.aspx

It's an offense to be disruptive in court - shouting, screaming, yelling obscenities and so on, but this particular behaviour probably didn't cross that threshold, or the judge would have censured it.

It's covered under this legislation:
http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/rsc-1985-c-c-46/latest/rsc-1985-c-c-46.html#sec175

Has there been any news on whether the trial for DMs father is proceeding?

Not a peep, so that tells us that there is a publication ban on whatever the judge ruled in that case, likely pub banned until this TB trial is completed. MOO

bbm red

I had never heard that the parents reunited after so many years ...?!? - Well, DM is an accused murderer and no excuse for what he probably did. But his childhood incl. teenager years as an only child seem to have been pretty difficult. IMO
I was really surprised that DM spent so much time at relatives just because his parents were separated. Kind of seeing where ABro has been coming from in regards to DM's childhood environment. It's traumatic enough to have parents separate and/or a parent who's an alcoholic but now I'm wondering about how damaged he could have been by being more or less orphaned by his parents marital disfunction. Did MB not live in the area? Was she unable to look after DM for some reason? This type of childhood abandonment could have had a real negative impact on DM. MOO

I guess the excavator was for DM's first side business, which was pet burials. When that didn't work, he thought he'd try pet cremations.

Burials, could be. That was my first thought. Neighbours around the corner from me have an excavator. They have horses (and do a lot of horse rescue) and inevitably some equines go on to that great pasture in the hereafter and the excavator is used to dig the large burial sites required. In fact every fall they dig a few in preparation for winter in case they end up being necessary over that time period. Horses are long-lived but they rescue some from abysmal conditions and they cannot always be saved.

I also thought that it might be used to bury evidence of other illegal activities, whether these be chop shop castoffs or . . . .

I wonder if RB had issues with DM stemming from his kids (i.e. he thought DM was a bad influence). I'm guessing the cousin DM talked about in the below article is RB's daughter.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...rn-to-world-of-fast-cars-and-exotic-adventure

I find the whole family dynamic to be rather sad, bizarre and pathetic, really.

So we learn today that DM went to live with uncle RB for 2 years in his mid teens. Why? Is there some legitimate reason either mom or dad couldn't take care of him? Was he already exhibiting disturbing behavior at that age that caused neither of them to want to deal with him? One can only guess.

One can also only guess that dear uncle RB spotted something at a young age that caused him to purposefully distance himself from him. I'm roughly the same age as RB and when you get this old, and you've been paying attention to people's character, you see the red flags a mile away. Was he concerned about DM's influence on one or more of his own kids? Maybe. Perfectly normal parental concern. Although I suspect even though he may have spotted something "off" he never once imagined he'd turn out to be the person portrayed in the media. Or, heck, maybe he did? It's hard to say.

I think what matters most here, is that the one person who seems to know DM better than anyone, from childhood into his teen years anyway, seems to want ZERO contact with him. So, there was something going on with DM even as a kid, that seems to have set off a warning for RB.

100% speculation - based on all we know.

Oh my. That will be an interesting one. Anyone have speculation about why Millard is representing himself for LB murder but hired someone for the other two?

I wonder if it is so that he can, just by being the defence lawyer for himself, be intimidating to whichever witness will be taking the stand to provide massively incriminating information. Not intimidating outwardly and publicly with words, but just by being the one who will do cross examination. My guess is that CN's bedroom, or CN's statement has something on him in that regard, since those charges happened at the same time that CN was charged. MOO

I just heard it too. Shannon Martin reporting for CBC National .. from the courthouse earlier today. Said the Crown will call the girlfriends, then rest their case. The defense plans to call DM and MS - the accused. I can't find the report online anywhere.

@ShannonMartinTV I can't tweet her, as I don't have twitter.

Per Susan Clairmont tweets after Jones the blood spatter expert there was still 39 more witnesses to come. I believe there has only been 4 or 5 since Jones.

I wonder if it is so that he can, just by being the defence lawyer for himself, be intimidating to whichever witness will be taking the stand to provide massively incriminating information. Not intimidating outwardly and publicly with words, but just by being the one who will do cross examination. My guess is that CN's bedroom, or CN's statement has something on him in that regard, since those charges happened at the same time that CN was charged. MOO

Nice catch. And weren't there items seized in CN's bedroom that were not allowed to be referenced in this trial?

Something of Laura's? I believe the phrase was "item", singular. The missing iPad? Or would CN not be up on charges for LB too then?

Mar 10 2016 2:35 PM
"He looked tired," Hussey says Millard looked at that time. "He had bags under his eyes. His sweater was falling over his shoulder. His hair wasn't done any particular way," which was uncommon, he says.

guess that is what happens when you sell your soul down the river to horrible deeds you can't undo...it manifests itself in some way.
a modern day Dorian Gray.

Nice catch. And weren't there items seized in CN's bedroom that were not allowed to be referenced in this trial?

Something of Laura's? I believe the phrase was "item", singular. The missing iPad? Or would CN not be up on charges for LB too then?

No idea... they still haven't mentioned the letters that were written by DM to CN while he was in prison, even though the Crown's opening statement made reference to them. Wouldn't they have also been found in her bedroom/house during that search? Why wouldn't they be mentioned at same time? In any case, it is toooooo coincidental that all 3 charges happened at the same general time (CN's Accessory charge, DM/MS murder charge re LB, and DM murder charge re WM). Either CN has incriminating evidence, or else whomever it was that gave LE info enough to get a search warrant approved for CN's residence, must have enough to go on. MOO again.

I was really surprised that DM spent so much time at relatives just because his parents were separated. Kind of seeing where ABro has been coming from in regards to DM's childhood environment. It's traumatic enough to have parents separate and/or a parent who's an alcoholic but now I'm wondering about how damaged he could have been by being more or less orphaned by his parents marital disfunction. Did MB not live in the area? Was she unable to look after DM for some reason? This type of childhood abandonment could have had a real negative impact on DM. MOO

I read he was a teen when they split up. Seems to me DM had a sketchy school life which to me indicates possible pre-existing social/emotional/mental issues causing him to move around---and remember, he can't spell.

Do we know who is at Maple Grove Rd. in Cambridge?
I found it a little ironic that Waterloo Police HQ is also on Maple Grove Rd.

Hoping a surveillance photo will be posted. I don't know of any bungalows on Maple Grove and that is what SC had in her Twitter feed.--bungalow, unless it was torn down since. There were some old houses near Fountain.

Based on it being SS's van that went with the red pick-up, I am going to speculate that it was Shane's house that they moved the truck to? Unless I misinterpreted those tweets. MOO

I thought SS lived in Brantford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member