Bosma Murder Trial 03.31.16 - Day 28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What the H$LL is *this* about? Sachak seems to really be hoping that DM was to be envied amongst all of his underlings? Competition? Jealousy? WTF? Just WOW! What's he trying to prove here?
]

It makes me think that DM is instructing his lawyer about which questions to ask.

What the H$LL is *this* about? Sachak seems to really be hoping that DM was to be envied amongst all of his underlings? Competition? Jealousy? WTF? Just WOW! What's he trying to prove here?

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 3m3 minutes ago
He had the hangar, a farm, the Maplegate residence, the riverside apartments. Did you have that many properties? Sachak asks.
No, SS says.

I think the defense technique is to try to undermine the credibility of any statements the Crown obtained from DM associates, implying the associates were insignificant minions and couldn't possibly have any insight into DM's empire and the brilliance with which he managed it.

I also think the defense is helping this witness to explain why he was so eager and positive when he gave a false statement to LE about the Exterminator (sic) and how DM's uncle 'needed it'.

Maybe they'll bring the uncle back up and ask if he ever discussed his allegedly high cremation costs with his nephew.

Farm is in this township

http://www.northdumfries.ca/en/documentuploads/bylaws/doc_634326860243997945.pdf

Some townships in Ontario allow buildings on farms "drivesheds" with out permits.

If I remember correctly a permit was requested for a new building for automotive work at farm.

I don' think one would require a permit to dig out a 100 year old house foundation. on a farm.

Getting an excavator stuck up to the top of the tracks in a protected wetland or "EP" area might be an issue!!

Napper505 :)

It makes me think that DM is instructing his lawyer about which questions to ask.

I have wondered that same thing especially after listening to his defense team do a cross examination.
I wonder how cozy he is with his lawyers during court....I remember once hearing that a note was passed between DM and counsel and I think there was one other occasion when counsel returned to the table to discuss something with DM.
Could someone who has been to court speak to how they carry on during trial days?

The questioning by both lawyers at times has seemed very amateurish and at times almost pointless which leads me to wonder how much influence DM is exercising in his own defense. I know the lawyers are well educated and certainly I would expect more polished presentation from both if I was footing the bill.
On the other hand, DM has clearly painted a picture of himself as wanting to be the man in charge especially when he is paying...and as far as I can tell he has an uncanny nack of surrounding himself with the kind of people who appear to be impressed by the mere hint of money and or privilege and dismiss any thought as to character &/or morality....how did he come to chose his current lawyers?

So is the "ether" mentioned today the same as the ether that can knock people out? What is its purpose on a construction vehicle?

In another text, Millard is asking Schlatman to make sure the "ether on the front end loader is in good supply."
by Adam Carter 11:28 AM

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 4m4 minutes ago
"last I saw generator was in corner by incinerator in the barn. Will check and check ether too," Schlatman writes. #Bosma

In regard to the last thread.. the phone numbers written on the calendar.. I do that too, with kids' friends' numbers.

Also, in regard to that Dr. appt.. it seemed that it was for MS.. and from what I can gather from the photo.. looks like it might be with this doc in Oakville:

Dr Parlow, Carol Marian

Psychiatrist

http://www.doctor-ontario.com/medecin/medecin-parlow-carol-marian-5422.htm

Might make sense considering his charges, graffiti on an overpass.. might have been ordered by the courts as part of his probation or something?

Considering that obviously MM had an appointment to go to, to which it seems that MS had committed to taking her to at 8am on May 7th, and then an appt with his shrink, perhaps even court mandated that he see her, scheduled for 2;45pm same day, the timing seems not the greatest, imo, for planning to commit a murder the night before.

Meanwhile, it seems that DM was making arrangements to ensure he had equipment, and the correct transportation to tow perhaps a vehicle to get painted, and perhaps another vehicle capable of towing some necessary equipment.

Then on May 8th, according to the cellphone exhibit (#37), it states that MS and MM cellphones spent the day in the Oakville area.

On May 9th, we know that DM had a 'hangar meeting', had his accountant show up, had interactions with his employees, and went about hiding things along with his gf later that evening and night.

Then on May 10th, another hangar meeting, a visit from LE at the hangar, getting SS to take DM's ram to another location, and DM's arrest.

Makes me wonder what exactly MS's involvement was in total.

Mar 31 2016 3:48 PM
Sachak again attempting to illustrate Millard's wealth. "You told police he had more money than the average Joe ... he had more money than the average Shane Schlatman," Sachak says. "He's loaded, it what you told the police."

BBM
I found this comment by NS unnecessary.

Especially since apparently the actual bookkeeper for the company that SS worked for said something rather different and her testimony was deemed as the ramblings of an uneducated woman who knew nothing about DM's financial worth. Yet when SS says "he's loaded" that is an educated opinion of DM's financial worth in the world of DM's defense team. And of course as always, at the same time, neglecting to mention that none of those possessions were liquid cash that he could use to purchase a used truck.

Also found it interesting today that SS confirmed that DM spent $11,000 just on gas for the last Baja trip. So when LW1 overheard that figure during the discussion, she did hear it correctly but likely thought they were discussing the race cost rather than just the fuel cost. So that race, which had become a tradition and that they had to miss the previous year, was very important to DM to make happen for himself and his friends in 2013 IMO. I guess he might have thought his friends expected him to make it happen. He has said that about the things he does for his friends...they expected it of me. Because he had more money than the average Joe...in fact...he was loaded. ;)

I'm guessing DM's dwindling bank balance was telling him that the race was going to be a real drain on the family coffers. Looks like the guy with all the bright ideas came up with a way to make it happen that wouldn't be as much of a drain. Using all the tools he already had at his disposal.

MOO

I have wondered that same thing especially after listening to his defense team do a cross examination.
I wonder how cozy he is with his lawyers during court....I remember once hearing that a note was passed between DM and counsel and I think there was one other occasion when counsel returned to the table to discuss something with DM.
Could someone who has been to court speak to how they carry on during trial days?

The questioning by both lawyers at times has seemed very amateurish and at times almost pointless which leads me to wonder how much influence DM is exercising in his own defense. I know the lawyers are well educated and certainly I would expect more polished presentation from both if I was footing the bill.
On the other hand, DM has clearly painted a picture of himself as wanting to be the man in charge especially when he is paying...and as far as I can tell he has an uncanny nack of surrounding himself with the kind of people who appear to be impressed by the mere hint of money and or privilege and dismiss any thought as to character &/or morality....how did he come to chose his current lawyers?

It might be as simple as instructions from DM to "ask this question or you're fired." What lawyer would risk halting the trial at this point. There was another time earlier in the trial when I thought that DM was directing the questions, in particular the questions about hosting parties. In that case, DM interrupted the questioning to speak with his lawyer, who came back with questions to confirm how DM had parties. Does anyone remember where that happened in the trial?

Forgive me if this has been already brought up, I'm having difficulty catching up! I got through all of yesterday's posts and some of today's!

I find it interesting that NS is dwelling on correcting the previous testimony of others who said that DM had planned on going into the pet incineration business with his uncle (unbeknownst to his uncle, of course).

Whether or not that was a misunderstanding, and *really* DM had only said that HE was going into the pet incineration to service clients such as, and including, his uncle's veterinary business, the fact remains that he had told the supplier/distributor/manufacturer during purchase discussions, that he would be using it for MRO operations at the hangar, did he not?
This is what makes me think DM is telling his lawyer what he wants him to talk about. The new explanation is just as stupid as the first. I think a good lawyer would prefer to just drop it. The lawyer is just obeying his boss in my opinion.

Didn't SS say today that HE was the one who talked about building his dream home and a drive shed/shop on the farm property? So why was MB getting a permit for a $50,000 drive shed on the farm? Certainly not for SS? And how many different things have we heard that farm was going to be used for now?

Dream home for DM and fiance.
Dream home next to DM dream home for SS with drive shed to work on cars with a 99yr land lease. (SS testimony)
Convert barn to a home. (SH testimony)
Build estate homes (JV testimony)
Actual permit requested for drive shed was submitted by MB in April 2013

MOO

So is the "ether" mentioned today the same as the ether that can knock people out? What is its purpose on a construction vehicle?
I am fairly new here, but I can answer this question. We had work done on our property with an excavator for several weeks. The "ether" is used to start the engine of the excavator, in my case it was a diesel excavator, don't know if only diesel needs ether. They would start the machine in the morning, and it would run all day. There was at least one morning that they could not start the engine because they had run out of ether the previous day, and had forgotten to get more. They did try though for a good 15 minutes or so, without the ether, and it was a no go. So someone had to run out and buy some before they could get it started. So I think that if you are really lucky you might get the engine started without it, but much safer to have it on hand.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 15s16 seconds ago
SS: not he thinks. We had that convo...the expense his uncle had at the time was high & it was portable so we could visit other vets as well

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 14s15 seconds ago
Schlatman told police #Millard bought the incinerator to destroy remains of pets for his vet uncle; "he's always trying to make money"

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3s4 seconds ago
Uncle's expenses were high. Millard thought they could "lower" them. And take The Eliminator to different vet practices.

Hey look Mommy! Its the portable pet crematorium!

Yes little one, wave at the nice men!

Gross. Can you imagine bringing your pet to a vet and seeing that in the parking lot?

Just as a comparison- 3 years ago it cost approximately $1,600/month to keep a Piper Arrow (single engine) at the beautiful Jet Port Hangar in Hamilton. IMHO, SS may have been a bit misinformed- 1500 a month would be more believable. I would imagine Citations, Lear Jets and the like would fetch 5K a month. It's more related to the size of the aircraft- how many square feet of hangar space it's taking up. Not sure how much of the hangar was being used for office space. IMO, SS's numbers were a bit off. MOO
I can't figure out why he is even asking a mechanic about the business of finances when he completely discredited the book keeper for the same thing. And the idea that MB was running the business as it was intended is suspect since she gave up and had to sell it?

Farm is in this township

http://www.northdumfries.ca/en/documentuploads/bylaws/doc_634326860243997945.pdf

Some townships in Ontario allow buildings on farms "drivesheds" with out permits.

If I remember correctly a permit was requested for a new building for automotive work at farm.

I don' think one would require a permit to dig out a 100 year old house foundation. on a farm.

Getting an excavator stuck up to the top of the tracks in a protected wetland or "EP" area might be an issue!!

Napper505 :)

Do we know that that was the intent - digging out a 100 year old house foundation? Or was he starting to dig for a new foundation for his 'dream house'? What if he dug up an old septic bed/tank? What if there were old Indian artifacts? (Or was he digging to prepare for a pet cemetery business?) I'm not sure it is legal to just start digging on a property, even if you own it, without some kind of approvals from the Town/Region?

Hey look Mommy! Its the portable pet crematorium!

Yes little one, wave at the nice men!

Gross. Can you imagine bringing your pet to a vet and seeing that in the parking lot?

I wonder if perhaps they would plan on having the little bell, like the knife-sharpening businesses, or the ice-cream trucks, to announce their daily arrival to fetch the frozen pet carcasses?

Ether (QuickStart) is used to start Diesel engines from cold, you give them a blast of QuickStart when turning over or they don't start unless the block heater is plugged in.

Didn't SS say today that HE was the one who talked about building his dream home and a drive shed/shop on the farm property? So why was MB getting a permit for a $50,000 drive shed on the farm? Certainly not for SS? And how many different things have we heard that farm was going to be used for now?

Dream home for DM and fiance.
Dream home next to DM dream home for SS with drive shed to work on cars with a 99yr land lease. (SS testimony)
Convert barn to a home. (SH testimony)
Build estate homes (JV testimony)
Actual permit requested for drive shed was submitted by MB in April 2013

MOO

Wow...

Hello Mr. Veterinarian, I'm here to sell my portable pet incineration service, which will save YOU money! All you have to do is carry the deceased pets out your back door to meet me out back and around the corner after hours, and I'll do it for $20 per carcass! Your neighbours and customers will never figure out what we're doing!

Queue Banjo music!

I wonder if DM asked the funeral service where his father was cremated, if he could just cremate him at home instead, to save the costs, since he already had an incinerator of his own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966