Bosma Murder Trial 05.31.16 - Day 56 - Closing Arguments Begin

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

That others knew about the plan to steal a truck "completely obliterates" any suggestion of a plan to murder, Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 10:05 AM

Wishful thinking on the part of Pillay, IMO. Just because DM was stupid enough to tell others what he was doing doesn't mean he didn't do it. Seriously, wow, what a horrible argument on Pillay's part.

Wishful thinking on the part of Pillay, IMO. Just because DM was stupid enough to tell others what he was doing doesn't mean he didn't do it. Seriously, wow, what a horrible argument on Pillay's part.

I'm wondering what the reaction of the people in the courtroom is to his closing statements. I bet there is a lot of eye rolling going on.

IMO all the jury has heard so far today is "blah, blah, blah, blah..."

Pillay now talking about the Igor Tumanenko test drive on May 5.
by Adam Carter 10:11 AM

Pillay says Millard used his real middle name when talking to Tumanenko. "Why not use a completely different name?" Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 10:12 AM

"That he used Evan and used it with multiple sellers shows that he had no intention to kill," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 10:12 AM

*Why not use Dellen, unless always going by Evan? Ugh using his real middle name obviously means he can't be a murderer :rolleyes:

Pillay also points out MIllard didn't try to disguise himself when he went on the test drive with Tumanenko.
by Adam Carter 10:13 AM

"He touched different areas of the vehicle. No gloves," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 10:13 AM

Millard also didn't try to conceal his tattoos. "Mr. Millard, remarkably, did nothing to cover his tattoos," Pillay says. They were eventually used to ID him.
by Adam Carter 10:14 AM

This closing argument so far is highlighting the fact that DM's team has nothing to work with.

- He used his middle name, so he isn't guilty
- He told his friends and even people he didn't like about the truck theft, so he isn't guilty
- He is smart enough to fly a plane and "run" a business, so he isn't guilty.
- He didn't cover his tattoos, definitely he isn't guilty

:facepalm:

"These tattoos could be seen by witnesses," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 10:15 AM

"All he had to do was where long sleeves, but he didn't ... a person intending to kill would have covered up."
by Adam Carter 10:16 AM

Pillay also points out Tumanenko lived in a very busy area, and there were lots of eyes there on a Sunday afternoon.
by Adam Carter 10:17 AM

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Shows Millard was not trying to conceal his identity. He used a satchel at Bosma residence, pulled out satchel in front of police later.

BBM. So there we have it. There has been MUCH debate about whether DM had the satchel at the Bosma's. I recall several posters saying there was NO WAY Sharlene/Wayne wouldn't have noticed it and made a mental note of it. But from the horse's mouth (or as close as we are ever going to get) there it is. DM WAS carrying the satchel that fateful night. MOO

OT - anyone else having issues with Shockwave Flash and the website crashing?

ETA - seems it's me.....thanks for the responses :)

"How are you going to commit a murder in broad daylight in a heavily populated area in Toronto?" Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 10:17 AM

But Smich was different than the Bosma test drive. On that day, he wasn't covered up, Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 10:18 AM

Pillay says Tumanenko was "inflating his evidence" about his time in the army comment.
by Adam Carter 10:19 AM

So far this close doesn't highlight all the reasons DM didn't plan the crime, it highlights that he was so sure his plan was infallible that he didn't think he needed to bother. MOO

I'm not sure Pillay calling DM smart and capable of flying planes, helicopters, etc will help him imo. To me it shows that he is in some ways intelligent and thought he would get away with it. Especially when you think about all the other likely thefts that were discussed earlier in the trial. He is wealthy, he flew helicopters, he thought he was invincible and he was hoping money/manipulation while even in jail could save him. He's smart alright. It's why he attempted to manipulate and control even from his jail cell.

Pillay says the intention was to come back at a later date and steal, under the cover of darkness.
by Adam Carter 10:20 AM

Pillay now says that the fact that there was no plans from Millard to clear his schedule show that he wasn't going to commit a murder. "If you plan on committing a murder on May 6, he would have cleared his schedule," to clean up, Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 10:21 AM

Pillay now showing texts where Millard is making plans for the days after May 6. He didn't end up doing those things.
by Adam Carter 10:22 AM

"Surely he would know that on May 7, his day would be completely occupied," Pillay says, after showing plans to meet with someone on that day.
by Adam Carter 10:24 AM

On the morning of May 10, Millard had an important meeting with an accountant at the hangar -- that meeting happened.
by Adam Carter 10:25 AM

Two Hamilton police officers visited the hangar that day and saw Millard in that meeting. "Why would Mr. Millard plan a murder earlier in the week?"
by Adam Carter 10:27 AM

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 3m3 minutes ago
Why would he schedule the meeting if he knew he would be committing a murder? Pillay says. #TimBosma

And yet he told CN that if the mission was "successful" it would be an all-nighter.....looks to me like it just took longer to clean up than he had anticipated.....MOO

I think Pillay is doing a good job - he's pretty limited here. Of course I don't buy what he's trying to sell.
He makes a good point about DM having plans, meetings in the days immediately after the murder. Instead of proving that DM wasn't planning murder, to me it shows that DM and MS didn't originally plan to kill Tim in the truck. Dealing with the mess in the truck is what added so much time to their cleanup.

"Had Mr. Millard planned to commit a murder on May 6 as the Crown says ... he would have cleared his schedule. He would have given himself the time and space to ensure a proper exit plan could unfold."
by Adam Carter 10:28 AM

Pillay says that Millard also didn't try to conceal the Eliminator.
by Adam Carter 10:28 AM

"Wouldn't Mr. Millard have built a closed trailer for it?" Pillay says. "Shane could have fashioned a trailer to conceal it from plain view."
by Adam Carter 10:29 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member