Brad Cooper Pleads Guilty to 2nd Degree Murder of Nancy Cooper

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is turning into a farewell thread, I might as well say "ya'll be good now, ya hear?"

I'm not a huge forum poster but like ncsu95 for some reason this case sucked me in. I suppose partially because I was going through a slightly nasty divorce/custody battle for my daughters around the same time and could relate to some of the drama that was going on in that household (minus the cheating and premeditated murder). I work at Cisco, and although didn't know Brad personally, understood and could directly relate to a lot of the technical testimony. I also know the geochemist and had lunch with her and the entomologist (the bug guy) the day of their testimonies. He was particularly annoyed at the quality of evidence he was given...basically all the larvae were dead or dying and he didn't have enough to work with! Not sure if that was due to shoddy police work or not but that is all water under the bridge at this point.

Anyway - I've silently enjoyed all the banter and in some weird, selfish way I'm sad it is all over. Maybe I'll run into y'all down the road in some other case. :)

bbm

I hope it's not a "maybe," grommet (I always had to chuckle at your post name -- love it!!) Don't be scarce, there will be another grabber, I'm sure. We just don't know which one will hit us, do we? Stay close, pleeeeeeze!

I wasn't stunned at all that BC accepted a plea deal, and admitting to guilt was just part of it.
If you read my prior posts, you will see I was on board with a plea deal decision from Day 1.
If anything, I was stunned the state would offer one.

And, if the state really did have new evidence that would guarantee another conviction, then it's on them for not going ahead with it.

Something to think about though. Brad was offered a plea deal before, the timing may be unclear but he turned it down. That can only make one think there was a time when he believed in the justice system and
wanted to be heard.
Now, look at just what happened when a simple plea hearing takes place, and the state still embellishing the facts and the truth, I don't blame him at all.

JMO

The state was fully within their rights to bring this case to a conclusion on behalf of the taxpayers of Wake County. They represent "the people." Plea deals are not a rare occurrence. The state could not force Brad to accept any deal. This wasn't on the state; this choice was placed squarely on Brad's shoulders. He had the control at that point and he made his choice of his own free will. He's not a child, he's not mentally incapacitated, he's not naive, and he understood exactly what he was doing, which is part of the process -- to assess the mental faculties of any defendant who is going to plead. This one's on Brad. He could have shown all his alleged evidence of tampering and framing. He didn't.

Brad did turn down a plea deal, why isn't that mentioned or attributed to guilt or innocence? :waitasec:

I don't know how anyone could blame him for taking this one, especially when the smallest details of the night of the party are still being falsely presented by the state's prosecutor.
Even when it doesn't matter anymore.
And , no one thinks that is wrong.

This plea deal was standard stuff, as far as plea deals go. There are specific procedures and processes. It's not a mystery.

Brad wasn't railroaded into accepting a plea deal, and Brad wasn't forced to give up parental rights to his children, both were completely his choice. He got something in exchange for giving up his daughters--1 yr less in prison off his standard plea deal sentence. That's just how deals go; there's a benefit for each side, otherwise it wouldn't be much of a deal.

Had Brad wanted instead to take advantage of the new trial, he could have done that. The state could not have stopped him from having another day in court and forcing their hand. All the choices were Brad's to make (plead out or have a new trial and show everything you've got).

I found it ironic that when he won a new trial from the overturned conviction of trial 1, the cheers went up and everyone was so excited because he would be able to show all his digital evidence and bring on whatever expert he wanted in his next trial. No judge, not even Gessner, was going to be able to deny him that.

But the minute the public found out he had been offered a plea deal years before, and that deal remained on the table, and then he accepted the plea deal through his new attorneys, that somehow made it all corrupt and unfair. How is getting a choice unfair?

What I think is really going on is when Brad stood up and admitted he killed his wife and dumped her body (which is something he agreed with and signed in his plea document) all his supporters were stunned. How to reconcile the guy actually killed his wife and took a plea and gave up his children as well? How to reconcile this was Brad's decision? Brad must remain a martyr, because the reality that Brad is a murderer is untenable. So out come the claims of innocent people accept plea deals all the time and therefore Brad has to be innocent too. I haven't personally seen one case in which an innocent person stood up in court and declared themselves guilty of murder. I've seen many cases where the defendant refused to plead; I think that happens a lot.

Brad is a victim of Brad. He played poker, tried to bluff, and folded his cards in the end. That's the reality. He is not a fallen hero and he is not a martyr. He's just a guy who killed his wife and got caught and eventually got and took the deal of a lifetime. I believe he well understood his chances of acquittal in a 2nd trial were slim because he knew there was additional digital evidence and it was only going to implicate him further.

The cheers for being granted a new trial were mainly because the rulings in the first trial were extremely unfair. Most of us just want to see a fair trial.....and that has nothing to do with the Cooper case. The trial wasn't fair and Gessner probably shouldn't be a judge after that travesty. And I believe the appeals court made it clear that I'm not the only one that thought that (unfair trial...not necessarily my opinion on Gessner).

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...examination-google-maps-search.shtml#comments

This is a new article written this week about Brad Cooper and the google map and a more thorough explanation as to why he won his appeal.

This article just pisses me off. I would live an explanation from the DA as to why they wouldn't release the hard drive to the defense team until after the 18 month window from google when it was requested months earlier. And I believe it was agreed to give them the drive and the DA office then denied that. Google could have confirmed the search or confirmed it didn't happen. How was that not done in the 18 month window?

Dear Friends-

This weekend's dateline did noting more than conjure up disappointment in how the state of NC handled this. Hard, common sense DA's like those in Los Angeles, and now, IOWA!!! The Seth Techel (sic?) trial,,, this is the one who , after seven months of marriage ( Yes, the trend is getting worse) has a relationship w/ a co=worker and plots to kill his wife,,, pregnant wife,,, so he shoots her while sleeping. Since the family is dug in at te local LE office- both fathers are LE,,, and a mentally challenged neighbor with publicly documented arguments on record,,, he moves forward.
First mistrial: 11-1
Second mistrial: 9-3(change of venue)
Third Trial: GuILTY in the first.

Notice above, if we were to include where the ABAROA trial ended among the three. Very sad,,, how could they have any rational fear that after an 11-1 mistrial(abaroa) that they could lose the case and he could walk?!?!?!?

Something is not right. Janet and her unborn were killed,,, and a husband carrying wat could best be describes as the perfect track recpord that would indicate his involvement,,,, is doing three years.

All law texts in academia should include this in their next publication,,, as an example of poor thinking and unjust actions issued bby the DA's office.

Very sad - if this guy does not take his pills he will most likely kill again!

I know!! There was something really strange going on at the plea hearing. Why does HC all of sudden stand up and say this is not enough time, when it is exactly the deal he and the state proposed? Was it all for show? And, the things I pointed out, may not seem to be major discrepancies, unless the whole case was like this, based on contradictions and exaggerations.
Any one who watched the trial knows Nancy stayed across the street for another 3-3.5 hours! And, everyone knows Brad was the parent to take the girls home early!
You know, it doesn't matter if you are G or NG as long as you get there by following the truth.
And HC did not tell the truth at the plea hearing, and there was no reason not to..... JMO

Maybe the Judge reduced the amount of time that HC wanted in the plea deal? I'm just baffled how any criminal court Judge can impose a penalty that includes matters already under the jurisdiction of another court. The Judge's demand he relinquish child custody seems retaliatory after getting his hands slapped by the appellate court.

Plus, Brad is a Canadian citizen and the children are dual citizens. There are federal rights to due process. This Judge impaired Brad's right to due process by not giving the guy a fair trial and now he's imposed a "penalty" that infringes on the children's American right to have a relationship with their parent.

I certainly don't blame Brad for taking it and getting the heck out of NC. Another trial in the same court would be manipulated just as it was done last time around.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeFever View Post

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...shtml#comments

This is a new article written this week about Brad Cooper and the google map and a more thorough explanation as to why he won his appeal.

This article just pisses me off. I would live an explanation from the DA as to why they wouldn't release the hard drive to the defense team until after the 18 month window from google when it was requested months earlier. And I believe it was agreed to give them the drive and the DA office then denied that. Google could have confirmed the search or confirmed it didn't happen. How was that not done in the 18 month window?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>my reply>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you - you bring upyet another trial in the state of north Carolina where they have abandoned all common sense - and are abt to let the killer walk.

The evidence - witness testimony is clear - cooper mentally crushed her - controlling the money - cutting off her allowance... when he saw she was at a neighbors house painting the fence -or a wall, he turned red and was not happy - he came to the realization that his wife was moving on with her life - earning her won money. AND NOW- her knows - when she goes - he is going tom have to buck up and pay for her and kids - monthly!!!

Those closer to her knew she hated him - and had to get out... he has the ultimate motive - his financial health- and now - he is abt to get a north Carolina special.

oh man, I just hope they don't give him a NORTH CAROLINA SPECIAL*

* a term that has become used due to the state of north carolina's track record of not applying common sense - refusing to do work involved w/ additional trials designed to seek justice, and by offering horrible deals to killers - a north Carolina special is a 3 year term for killing your spouse - they used it in the abaroa trial - where - igh I cant type anymore - im going to be ill.

Sentencing is done based on a chart, which is comprised of ranges.

http://www.nccourts.org/Courts/CRS/Councils/spac/Documents/sstrainingmanual_09.pdf

Page 67 for crimes committed before 12/2009. Second degree murder is a class B-2 felony. Brad had no prior or other offenses.

The extra 12 months off for giving up parental rights was a negotiation point between the DA's office and Cooper, the judge had nothing to do with that, and no one forced Brad to do anything. The number of months sentenced to prison is based on the chart, it's not something someone just makes up based on how they feel.

The judge's role was to review the agreement and make sure Brad understood exactly what he was signing and that he was doing so willingly and intelligently and without any coercion. Brad said, under oath, he was doing so willingly and without any coercion.

Again. this is standard sentencing in NC. The whole plea process is documented and the information has been provided to anyone who cares to read it. I linked to the 44 page PDF a week ago, which goes into all the details.

If this plea deal was so standard , why did Howard Cummings stand up and make such a big issue of it not being enough time? It was his deal, so why complain about something you have already agreed to?
:waitasec:

Maybe the Judge reduced the amount of time that HC wanted in the plea deal? I'm just baffled how any criminal court Judge can impose a penalty that includes matters already under the jurisdiction of another court. The Judge's demand he relinquish child custody seems retaliatory after getting his hands slapped by the appellate court.

Plus, Brad is a Canadian citizen and the children are dual citizens. There are federal rights to due process. This Judge impaired Brad's right to due process by not giving the guy a fair trial and now he's imposed a "penalty" that infringes on the children's American right to have a relationship with their parent.

I certainly don't blame Brad for taking it and getting the heck out of NC. Another trial in the same court would be manipulated just as it was done last time around.

JMO

I agree, and it's possible he did not feel as confident with his new attorney (s). Brad did the right thing, the only thing, imo. I would actually have had second thoughts on continuing defending someone who was not smart enough to take a plea...

JMO

If this plea deal was so standard , why did Howard Cummings stand up and make such a big issue of it not being enough time? It was his deal, so why complain about something you have already agreed to?
:waitasec:

Why ask people who

1. Aren't Howard Cummings?
2. Don't work with or for HC?

If there are questions about why Cummings said or did certain things, then the person to ask is HC himself. Send him an email or give him a call.

My personal opinion is that Brad got a sweetheart deal in this plea and I think his sentence is way too light, considering he planned and then committed his wife's murder. But that's the guideline set up legislatively for 2nd degree murder before 11/09 with no priors, and that was the deal, and to change sentencing guidelines would require a change in the sentencing laws, which is not something the DA can control. That's the NC legislature.

Brad knew he would not be able to prove any conspiracy or tampering. And when he found out he had the opportunity to take a plea and fold rather than go to trial and show the proof he claimed he had, he took it. Thus, trial #1 essentially never happened (overturned), there was no conspiracy, Brad was legally back to "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law," and then Brad said he was "guilty."

Why ask people who

1. Aren't Howard Cummings?
2. Don't work with or for HC?

If there are questions about why Cummings said or did certain things, then the person to ask is HC himself. Send him an email or give him a call.

My personal opinion is that Brad got a sweetheart deal in this plea and I think his sentence is way too light, considering he planned and then committed his wife's murder. But that's the guideline set up legislatively for 2nd degree murder before 11/09 with no priors, and that was the deal, and to change sentencing guidelines would require a change in the sentencing laws, which is not something the DA can control. That's the NC legislature.

Brad knew he would not be able to prove any conspiracy or tampering. And when he found out he had the opportunity to take a plea and fold rather than go to trial and show the proof he claimed he had, he took it. Thus, trial #1 essentially never happened (overturned), there was no conspiracy, Brad was legally back to "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law," and then Brad said he was "guilty."

People ask questions all the time about cases, no need to tell us the right or wrong way. We have no idea why Brad took the plea , maybe he just wants to go home..
The state had the same option of going forward with a brand new trial just as much as Brad did. They decided not to and offered an plea , and Brad decided to accept it.

The question wasn't about "the case," it was about why a specific person (Howard Cummings) said what he said during the last hearing. And I'm pointing out that no one can answer a question about what Howard Cummings was thinking or why he did what he did, other than HC himself.

Brad isn't just going home. He will spend the next 6+ years in state prison. He will forever be a convicted murderer, a felon. It was his choice.

If the state hadn't offered him a choice, he wouldn't have had anything to choose .......:wink:

If the state hadn't offered him a choice, he wouldn't have had anything to choose .......:wink:

Yeah, HCs statement was just weird. If they were pretty sure they would get a conviction, they should have gone to trial. Otherwise, don't complain about the terms of the deal you offered. Justice was not served with that plea deal. It was first degree or not guilty.

The question wasn't about "the case," it was about why a specific person (Howard Cummings) said what he said during the last hearing. And I'm pointing out that no one can answer a question about what Howard Cummings was thinking or why he did what he did, other than HC himself.

Brad isn't just going home. He will spend the next 6+ years in state prison. He will forever be a convicted murderer, a felon. It was his choice.

I'm asking because i don't know....does Canada recognize verdicts in the US? As in, would he have the same limitations as someone convicted of 2nd degree murder in Canada? Or if a US citizen was convicted in Canada, would the US treat them as a convicted felon upon release and return to the States?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl