Brad Cooper Pleads Guilty to 2nd Degree Murder of Nancy Cooper

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished watching the recording. Does anyone know what was discussed at the bench when Brad was asked point blank (and I'm paraphrasing): "did you indeed kill Nancy Cooper and dump her body on Fielding Dr?"

He's pleading guilty - why did he have reservations about answering "Yes" to that question? What was the debate at the bench? The attorney in me (I'm not one) was fascinated with that little part of the proceeding.

By the look on Brad's face when the question was put to him, it was obvious to me that he didn't want to answer that question. When the deal was being made -- before the hearing, and in closed quarters -- maybe they were all discussing how it would go & what would happen. Maybe the question that you quoted was not discussed as perhaps some of the others were, at least in general, so he was not expecting things to go into that much detail (I guess he expected respect and awe, who knoze??? Grrrr). It was a tuff question, but Brad was at the mercy of the court -- and Judge Gessner wanted it on the record, IMO. So the attys marched up to His Honor to see -- I'm thinking defense atty Freeman just went through the paces -- prolly to give Brad time to collect himself, fully knowing the answer would be yes, he must answer and prolly feeling it was a fair question. JMHO.

What a prima donna Brad still is -- he has such obvious disdain for everyone he faces (at least that's what I have seen from the beginning) -- maybe it's because he feels he is the most intelligent person in the room. I wonder if he is that way in prison -- it might rub someone the wrong way one day and that would be a pity...

My most favorite memory of this disdain coupled with his impatience with whoever is speaking, is the custody hearing at which Alice Stubbs (the family law atty engaged by the Rentz family; partner at Tharrington, Smith; a past district court judge; Phillips Academy, Davidson, and UNC Law graduate; and so many other legal and civic positions and service) presided. She is blonde, trim, nice-looking & not very tall. Looks more like a sweet and gentle elementary teacher or pediatrician (not one speck of disrespect of those professions intended). She has a gentle voice and a friendly countenance, but she is smart, smart, smart and the best in her field. She will tie you in a tuff knot with that sweet voice -- and it's not an act, that's how she speaks. Oh, she is good at what she does -- a master. It was a pleasure to watch, & the hearing went on for hours, and he tied himself in knot after knot after knot. He could not plead the 5th and he had to answer every question. I went off on a tangent -- please forgive.

Anyway, he certainly did not like the judge or his questions, and that question really put things on the line -- and he couldn't plead the 5th there, either. So, back to their tables the attys went, and Brad had to choke out that, "Yes." :D

JMO.

update:

[

[SIZE=+1]BRADLEY G COOPER[/SIZE]

Offender Number:........ 1264179
Inmate Status:............. ACTIVE
Race:........................... WHITE
Ethnic Group:.............. EUROPEAN/N.AM./AUSTR
Birth Date:.................. 10/09/1973
Current Location:........ CENTRAL PRISON

This is why people should never say goodbye in a thread, always something brings them back in!

:facepalm:

A few things about the plea deal.
Maybe Brad was only supposed to admit his guilt, and not anything more specific, and that kind of threw the defense off balance, but the following things are bothering me.
Why did Cummings stand up and say "this is not enough time"..Wasn't he aware of the details of the plea deal before it was offered? He then went on to say the trial and the case cost NC millions of dollars, he seemed quite upset. Something seemed off in parts of the hearing.
And, why did Nancy's father tell Krista to be careful about what she was saying?
What was that about?

Bordem, Yes, Brad is back at Central, he was moved there almost immediately, but its not a sure thing he will be staying there for the next 6 years until he is released. There is a possibility as his sentence is closer to being fully served, he could be transferred back to Canada for the last 1-2 years.
Oh, and you mentioned his phone the other day. It is possible that he wanted his computer and phone returned to him at a later date, not while he was in prison, I am sure he knows that was not allowed. However, the request was turned down. It is also possible there are still people reviewing the case and maybe wanted to examine the items. I do not know. JMO

Hi, JF!

Howard Cummings' remarks were the last ones he will get to make that will go on the record for this case -- unless something very, very unusual happens, so his remarks were for the courtroom, Nancy's family, and those he mentioned, and for Bradley Cooper. He was putting it on the record. I know Cummings, but not well. He's a fishing partner with my DH from time to time. He is a true gentleman and he is easygoing, pleasant, smart & has a good sense of humor. I've never seen arrogance, crudeness, disrespect, cruelty, spite or one-upmanship in the man.

IMO, his "not enough time" remark was just putting it in the book, so to speak. He's been an ADA for many years, and he sees horrible crimes all the time, and he gets convictions, but he doesn't get them all, I'm sure. I do remember the burning look he shot Brad during his closing remarks at the original trial, and he shot another one at him during the hearing. He was up there representing Nancy, her family and the People of the State of North Carolina, and he had some things he wanted to say... JMO.

I think Mr. Rentz, when he told Krista, "careful," was to make sure that she didn't say anything negative, etc., about Brad or what he had done -- just a "it's over -- keep your answers short and be positive, thankful and respectful" kind of thing. JMO.

And the computer and the phone were evidence and there was no way the judge could discard evidence in that way. Brad certainly knew that, seems to me. If you are familiar with the Jeffrey MacDonald federal case (he was convicted of murdering his wife and two daughters at Ft. Bragg, NC), there was an entire room that held only the evidence in that trial in the federal building in downtown Raleigh. My friend & next door neighbor was a paralegal on Judge Dupree's staff & when she left that position, the room was still holding that evidence only in that sealed room, years after that trial. Dunno if it is still there.

See you soon, Fever!

Hello everyone,

I needed a day or so to decompress from an intense Monday because of Brad finally admitting to what I felt I already knew. There is healing that occurs when someone finally tells the truth about a horrific crime.

I took some time to consider why this case matters to me. I do not know the victim or her family. In the news you can find, every day, stories like this. I find it upsetting that someone could do this-- but it happens somewhere every day.

In this case, I knew the person who did it, and its hard for me to confront that I met, lived with, and sometimes socialized with a person capable of such a horrific crime. He hated his wife, and that's OK I guess, lots of spouses get to that point. Some people just shouldn't be together. Though with Brad, it may be inevitable in his relationships. What I find frightening is that his exit solution included depriving his daughters of their mother. To me that demonstrates that he was incapable of love or basic human decency, even for his own flesh and blood. Those girls deserved to grow old with their mother in their lives. My own mind has difficulty grasping how someone can be wired to be so fundamentally evil, even though in the world at large we hear about it all the time. I guess this was just too close to me for my own comfort, and knowing the person makes it very real. To me this is not just a news story.

Anyway, thanks to many of you for your messages in my inbox. There are some great people here who care about this even without any personal involvement, and that's a good thing. I've invited someone else very close to this case to post thoughts which you may all find interesting (and for this person, I think therapeutic) but don't know if that will come to pass.

I'll still be posting here should the need arise, though I think this case is now closed. I certainly will be lurking in some of the other forums as there are cases I am interested in.

Take care everyone!

Bravo Calgary123! I completely understand the complex feelings you must have experienced this whole time, not to mention those who were involved with Brad in intimate relationships. I'm hoping this other person will come join and post.

I'm sure things had to be miserable for both Brad & Nancy (not only her). They probably each knew how to push each others' emotional buttons, and did so often, as is usually the case when an intimate relationship goes very sour and then gets even worse from there.

Brad must have eventually come to view his estranged wife as this extraneous/useless being, a thorn in his side, who was going to suck him financially dry in a divorce. He might have thought she would not be missed much, outside of her parents and siblings and a few friends; he certainly wasn't going to miss her. He couldn't have possibly imagined the attention and focus the case would get, nor that other agencies (like the cyber taskforce / regional FBI resources) would get involved, or even that his own employer would actually become a major partner in the investigation. Who could possibly foresee any of that happening?

And here we are.

Brad never apologized; I guess he's not sorry at all, well maybe only sorry he got caught. No one ever thinks they're actually going to get caught, that's probably the one thing all these various spousal or intimate partner killers (and I'm including female perps as well as men) have in common.

I can't begin to understand why this case grabbed me the way it did and then held on. While I live in the same town, I don't live in the same neighborhood, didn't know anyone involved, don't run in the same (mommy and young children) circles, and wasn't even following any local murder case until this one (I was barely aware of the Young case until 2009). Remains a mystery to me, but here we are...

ETA: I'm not surprised you received lovely & supportive messages. One thing I can say for sure is that I've met some very fine people from joining this forum, people I've come to respect mightily and care about deeply, including a bunch of people from my local community who I would not have met otherwise. That was quite unexpected and I appreciate learning from everyone!

Hello everyone,

I needed a day or so to decompress from an intense Monday because of Brad finally admitting to what I felt I already knew. There is healing that occurs when someone finally tells the truth about a horrific crime.

>>>>> respectfully snipped for space <<<<<

I'll still be posting here should the need arise, though I think this case is now closed. I certainly will be lurking in some of the other forums as there are cases I am interested in.

Take care everyone!

We certainly have enjoyed your being a part of this entire case, calgary123. Your comments were something that none of the rest of us could duplicate. Glad you also had some other Canadian folks to post here as well -- again, an element that none of us were able to do.

Please stay with us as you can. You will run into a good handful of us on other cases, and it's always nice to post with folks you already know! So don't just lurk -- your viewpoint and perspective are valuable assets to those of us who are victim proponents and who seek justice. Let us hear from you often, and thanks for being with us from 'way back! And take care as well,

Hi, JF!

Howard Cummings' remarks were the last ones he will get to make that will go on the record for this case -- unless something very, very unusual happens, so his remarks were for the courtroom, Nancy's family, and those he mentioned, and for Bradley Cooper. He was putting it on the record. I know Cummings, but not well. He's a fishing partner with my DH from time to time. He is a true gentleman and he is easygoing, pleasant, smart & has a good sense of humor. I've never seen arrogance, crudeness, disrespect, cruelty, spite or one-upmanship in the man.

IMO, his "not enough time" remark was just putting it in the book, so to speak. He's been an ADA for many years, and he sees horrible crimes all the time, and he gets convictions, but he doesn't get them all, I'm sure. I do remember the burning look he shot Brad during his closing remarks at the original trial, and he shot another one at him during the hearing. He was up there representing Nancy, her family and the People of the State of North Carolina, and he had some things he wanted to say... JMO.

I think Mr. Rentz, when he told Krista, "careful," was to make sure that she didn't say anything negative, etc., about Brad or what he had done -- just a "it's over -- keep your answers short and be positive, thankful and respectful" kind of thing. JMO.

And the computer and the phone were evidence and there was no way the judge could discard evidence in that way. Brad certainly knew that, seems to me. If you are familiar with the Jeffrey MacDonald federal case (he was convicted of murdering his wife and two daughters at Ft. Bragg, NC), there was an entire room that held only the evidence in that trial in the federal building in downtown Raleigh. My friend & next door neighbor was a paralegal on Judge Dupree's staff & when she left that position, the room was still holding that evidence only in that sealed room, years after that trial. Dunno if it is still there.

See you soon, Fever!

While we may never agree on certain things, at least we do it nicely.. :) and while you may have the edge on knowing Mr. Cummings over me, I found him at times to be very snide, condescending and sarcastic, especially when questioning defense witnesses. He also still shouldn't be referring to notes during the plea bargain after all this time , when most of us here know this case inside and out. (maybe not the computer evidence)

I do understand the frustration of both Judge Gessner and Mr. Cummings though. Brad Cooper belonged to the state of North Carolina for the rest of his natural life, now it is only until 2020. They have no one to blame but themselves, Judge Gessner for his error, and Mr. Cummings for refusing to try the case again and offering a plea.

If he and the state indeed, had new and damning evidence that would guarantee Brad Cooper would be convicted again,
and is hiding behind lack of financial resources and the wishes of the family, and if I thought BC was guilty, I would be as outraged as when Raven Abaroa was offered an alford plea or when Rae Carruth was found guilty only of conspiracy of murder, when he was the one he paid and arranged for Cherica and their baby to die and should be on death row.
JMO

Ps. Looking foward to our next case together, hopefully we be on the same side! :)

Madeleine74

Bravo to you, too! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and thanks for the tributes you have given to Nancy, her family and her friends. Sometimes a case just grabs you -- I understand. I was grabbed by Kathy Taft , especially, and by Nancy and by Michelle. Oh, those were tuff. And there will be -- and there already have been -- others that we will sadly see, and some may grab us again. We are fortunate to have Websleuths and all of the good folks who seek justice.

Keep up your fine sleuthing. And rest a bit easier on this one. You have given Nancy and her family such fine support in your special way.

This is the only case I have followed on this site (except JY to a much smaller degree). I joined this site because of this case. I've been captivated by it from the start. What drew me in were some of the life parallels I hade with Cooper. I work in VoIP, I graduated from NC State, I have 2 daughters, and I'm 43 (so near the same age). Of course, I'm not a cheater or convicted murderer. I've been all over the place in this case from innocent to guilty to :fence: what has really bothered me about this case from the start is how blatantly unfair it was. From taking his kids week 1, to the sham custody hearing, to the very unfair trial. I know I've often argued evidence in a different manner from the majority, but it was always because I tried to correlate it to my life. Things like having multiple pairs of running shoes, to making test calls after an upgrade, etc. I really enjoyed the discussion during the trial. There were a few posters I could have done without that offered nothing but baiting in the discussion. But I have had many discussions with people that saw things differently from me. And I appreciate those people and discussions. I've even become Facebook friends with several of them and appreciate them and their views. In some ways, I'm sad it's over (I'm happy for the Rentz family that they have closure). I doubt I will ever follow another case like I did this one. It's just been fascinating. So thanks for all of the discussion, even if it got heated at times.

Since this is turning into a farewell thread, I might as well say "ya'll be good now, ya hear?"

I'm not a huge forum poster but like ncsu95 for some reason this case sucked me in. I suppose partially because I was going through a slightly nasty divorce/custody battle for my daughters around the same time and could relate to some of the drama that was going on in that household (minus the cheating and premeditated murder). I work at Cisco, and although didn't know Brad personally, understood and could directly relate to a lot of the technical testimony. I also know the geochemist and had lunch with her and the entomologist (the bug guy) the day of their testimonies. He was particularly annoyed at the quality of evidence he was given...basically all the larvae were dead or dying and he didn't have enough to work with! Not sure if that was due to shoddy police work or not but that is all water under the bridge at this point.

Anyway - I've silently enjoyed all the banter and in some weird, selfish way I'm sad it is all over. Maybe I'll run into y'all down the road in some other case. :)

I wish it wasn't, though I guess for some it is.

There will always be unanswered questions.

Like, why did HC say at the plea hearing that Brad took the girls home the night before at 8:30 PM and that Nancy stayed only a little later, when it was testified to that she stayed until close to midnite?

Why did HC say that Brad presented no parental skills , yet, Brad was the parent to take the girls home and put them to bed?

Why the need to still twist facts even after a plea agreement has been reached?

This is why people should never say goodbye in a thread, always something brings them back in!

:facepalm:

A few things about the plea deal.
Maybe Brad was only supposed to admit his guilt, and not anything more specific, and that kind of threw the defense off balance, but the following things are bothering me.
Why did Cummings stand up and say "this is not enough time"..Wasn't he aware of the details of the plea deal before it was offered? He then went on to say the trial and the case cost NC millions of dollars, he seemed quite upset. Something seemed off in parts of the hearing.
And, why did Nancy's father tell Krista to be careful about what she was saying?
What was that about?

Justice, I'm shaking my head on this one. I'm just learning this news and haven't had a chance to watch the hearing but this has ended weirdly if he wasn't told about the plea offer on the table six years ago. And then to have the Judge participate in the deal itself by knocking off a year in exchange for Brad losing the rights to his children seems pretty cruel to the children. I think they have had a relationship and a bond to him up to now even if it is just on the phone or Facetime. This Judge used the children as pawns in a plea deal and that shocks me. His harsh comments on the public record shock me. IMO, that's pretty inhumane for the children and for the parent. And if it is true the oldest especially has had a difficult time all these years, perhaps it is because she remembers seeing her mother that morning and believes her father innocent?

This is just more bizarre version of "justice" North Carolina style. I guess I won't be surprised if another shoe drops.

JMO

This is the only case I have followed on this site (except JY to a much smaller degree). I joined this site because of this case. I've been captivated by it from the start. What drew me in were some of the life parallels I hade with Cooper. I work in VoIP, I graduated from NC State, I have 2 daughters, and I'm 43 (so near the same age). Of course, I'm not a cheater or convicted murderer. I've been all over the place in this case from innocent to guilty to :fence: what has really bothered me about this case from the start is how blatantly unfair it was. From taking his kids week 1, to the sham custody hearing, to the very unfair trial. I know I've often argued evidence in a different manner from the majority, but it was always because I tried to correlate it to my life. Things like having multiple pairs of running shoes, to making test calls after an upgrade, etc. I really enjoyed the discussion during the trial. There were a few posters I could have done without that offered nothing but baiting in the discussion. But I have had many discussions with people that saw things differently from me. And I appreciate those people and discussions. I've even become Facebook friends with several of them and appreciate them and their views. In some ways, I'm sad it's over (I'm happy for the Rentz family that they have closure). I doubt I will ever follow another case like I did this one. It's just been fascinating. So thanks for all of the discussion, even if it got heated at times.

I think many of us identify with particular cases, that's why we feel so emotional about them. I could see Nancy's family needing custody of those little girls, Nancy's babies. Much like when Nicole Simpson's sister knew immediately 'OJ did it, he finally did it', that was the response from Nancy's twin, Krista. Once her family knew in their hearts it was Brad, getting those little girls safely away became the most important thing to them. IMO, they were truly afraid Brad might hurt the girls once he felt trapped. Kind of like that guy out west, I'm sure those who follow these cases will come up with the name for me. The guy who's wife *disappeared* while he and their two little boys, just babies, 'went camping in the middle of the night in the middle of winter.' When he felt cornered, he got those little boys for a *visit*, and blew the house up with him and the babies inside it, killing all. Again, this is all just my opinion, but Nancy's family had law enforcement background, her brother. I'd guess lots of people aren't aware of what *can* happen, but those in LE know *stuff* happens and then it's too late. :( I could feel your struggles NCSU. As the mother of three adult daughters I too felt struggles. So many cases, Laci Peterson and on, where my husband would say 'why don't they just divorce them?' 'Why do they have to kill them?' One of my own daughters was the same age as Laci, also pregnant with a boy who was born around the time Laci was due to deliver. I remember being in the hospital the night of his birth, thinking about poor Sharon Rocha who would never be so lucky to see her grandson like I was about to do. It broke my heart for her. Why was I so lucky and she so not? Stuff like this effects all of us in different ways, I guess. We all identify with what is familiar to us. From the things I recall you writing during the Cooper trial, you had much more interaction with your daughters than Brad had with his. What with his work, his training, his trips both for work and competitions. I didn't personally see you as a comparison to Brad, but I can understand how you might see it that way. Hugs NCSU, glad to see you again.

Josh Powell, who eventually killed his 2 small boys and then himself as the boys got a bit older & started talking about what they witnessed in regards to their mother's murder. He was going to be charged with her murder fairly soon. Thank goodness Nancy's daughters were in safe hands and away from any potentially similar situation.

Justice, I'm shaking my head on this one. I'm just learning this news and haven't had a chance to watch the hearing but this has ended weirdly if he wasn't told about the plea offer on the table six years ago. And then to have the Judge participate in the deal itself by knocking off a year in exchange for Brad losing the rights to his children seems pretty cruel to the children. I think they have had a relationship and a bond to him up to now even if it is just on the phone or Facetime. This Judge used the children as pawns in a plea deal and that shocks me. His harsh comments on the public record shock me. IMO, that's pretty inhumane for the children and for the parent. And if it is true the oldest especially has had a difficult time all these years, perhaps it is because she remembers seeing her mother that morning and believes her father innocent?

This is just more bizarre version of "justice" North Carolina style. I guess I won't be surprised if another shoe drops.

JMO

I know!! There was something really strange going on at the plea hearing. Why does HC all of sudden stand up and say this is not enough time, when it is exactly the deal he and the state proposed? Was it all for show? And, the things I pointed out, may not seem to be major discrepancies, unless the whole case was like this, based on contradictions and exaggerations.
Any one who watched the trial knows Nancy stayed across the street for another 3-3.5 hours! And, everyone knows Brad was the parent to take the girls home early!
You know, it doesn't matter if you are G or NG as long as you get there by following the truth.
And HC did not tell the truth at the plea hearing, and there was no reason not to..... JMO

This plea deal was standard stuff, as far as plea deals go. There are specific procedures and processes. It's not a mystery.

Brad wasn't railroaded into accepting a plea deal, and Brad wasn't forced to give up parental rights to his children, both were completely his choice. He got something in exchange for giving up his daughters--1 yr less in prison off his standard plea deal sentence. That's just how deals go; there's a benefit for each side, otherwise it wouldn't be much of a deal.

Had Brad wanted instead to take advantage of the new trial, he could have done that. The state could not have stopped him from having another day in court and forcing their hand. All the choices were Brad's to make (plead out or have a new trial and show everything you've got).

I found it ironic that when he won a new trial from the overturned conviction of trial 1, the cheers went up and everyone was so excited because he would be able to show all his digital evidence and bring on whatever expert he wanted in his next trial. No judge, not even Gessner, was going to be able to deny him that.

But the minute the public found out he had been offered a plea deal years before, and that deal remained on the table, and then he accepted the plea deal through his new attorneys, that somehow made it all corrupt and unfair. How is getting a choice unfair?

What I think is really going on is when Brad stood up and admitted he killed his wife and dumped her body (which is something he agreed with and signed in his plea document) all his supporters were stunned. How to reconcile the guy actually killed his wife and took a plea and gave up his children as well? How to reconcile this was Brad's decision? Brad must remain a martyr, because the reality that Brad is a murderer is untenable. So out come the claims of innocent people accept plea deals all the time and therefore Brad has to be innocent too. I haven't personally seen one case in which an innocent person stood up in court and declared themselves guilty of murder. I've seen many cases where the defendant refused to plead; I think that happens a lot.

Brad is a victim of Brad. He played poker, tried to bluff, and folded his cards in the end. That's the reality. He is not a fallen hero and he is not a martyr. He's just a guy who killed his wife and got caught and eventually got and took the deal of a lifetime. I believe he well understood his chances of acquittal in a 2nd trial were slim because he knew there was additional digital evidence and it was only going to implicate him further.

Don't stay away from WS, ncsu -- I'm a fellow NCSU alum, and we certainly have that in common. Your tech remarks always added to the info on this case, and so did your other remarks. Please don't make us wonder, "Where is ncsu95?" Join us when you can, and we'll see what happens on "the next one," whatever that one is! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member